• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

Fuchsdh

Haha, ok. I've played Downtown chaos just once and I got disconnected in the middle :(

Btw for people looking to upgrade their weapons and get that 15k OD killed achievement, the drummer mission is a nice place to do that. Just don't do the required objective and keep killing the endlessly respawning ODs. Spent about an hour and levelled up almost 10 of my weapons to max.Must have killed a million of those bastards in the process :)

Yeah I'll probably do that once I've got all my collectibles. Having done every single side quest and having finished the story, I have... five weapons up to level 5. I tend to just speed through fights, and bash anyone who gets close, which probably contributes to my underleveling.

Then, back to Chaos to try and get those achievements... and then challenges for last.

I think you might be.

Fizzie, rock night, hardcore, fallen sister, EXP, Hector. There are some truly fantastic and varied side quests...

Agreed, the side missions were much better than what I anticipated, and there were plenty of little twists and turns that provided a good sense of variety. I really don't get the repetitiveness complaints, to be frank.

The Dude weapon challenge was infuriating, by the way. I'm not sure if it's just extremely cheap or downright broken, but apart from the first couple of waves, it seems that the enemy groups cheat. They either appear out of nowhere or move quicker than they realistically should, and the minimap is too zoomed in to be of much help. I hated it, and when I finally got the gold, it didn't feel like I earned it. I didn't do anything that different, and I didn't play any better, I simply lucked out and it sort of just happened. That's bad design.

The game on the whole is a masterpiece, though.

Agreed, the side missions were much better than what I anticipated, and there were plenty of little twists and turns that provided a good sense of variety. I really don't get the repetitiveness complaints, to be frank.

The Dude weapon challenge was infuriating, by the way. I'm not sure if it's just extremely cheap or downright broken, but apart from the first couple of waves, it seems that the enemy groups cheat. They either appear out of nowhere or move quicker than they realistically should, and the minimap is too zoomed in to be of much help. I hated it, and when I finally got the gold, it didn't feel like I earned it. I didn't do anything that different, and I didn't play any better, I simply lucked out and it sort of just happened. That's bad design.

The game on the whole is a masterpiece, though.

Neither do I.

There are some that require you to collect items to increase VAT capacity, but the majority are unique and pretty damn varied.

Easily some of the best side quests I've come across in an open world game.

dralla

Where do I find some new melee weapons? I'm about ten hours in and still have the crowbar. The lady sells a bat but where's the cool stuff like the laser sword? I've been doing lots of side missions but didn't get any as a reward.

Where do I find some new melee weapons? I'm about ten hours in and still have the crowbar. The lady sells a bat but where's the cool stuff like the laser sword? I've been doing lots of side missions but didn't get any as a reward.

Towards the end you get more stuff.

stay gold

Laser sword (Fizzco Baton) is a reward for Floyds series of side quests, I don't think it opens up until towards the end of the story.

t hicks

Banned
I just finished my playthrough of the story (total time 17:42:57) and I absolutely loved this game. I have to say though, the soundtrack was amazing! One of my favorite bands Bass Drum of Death did three original songs for the soundtrack (if you like the soundtrack you should check out their first two albums) and they fit so well with it. Everything about this game just appeals to me tbh, and it's definitely my front runner for GOTY.

My character right now:
imagercsv3.jpg

Just preordered GTAV and was looking to pick up a 2nd game. CoD:AW is out, and I already picked up MCC so it's down to Sunset Overdrive or Dragon Age:Inquisition at this point.

Concerned I might get bored of Sunset, but i LOVED Jet Set Radio back in day, so i'm hoping this would be right up my alley.

E92 M3

Just preordered GTAV and was looking to pick up a 2nd game. CoD:AW is out, and I already picked up MCC so it's down to Sunset Overdrive or Dragon Age:Inquisition at this point.

Concerned I might get bored of Sunset, but i LOVED Jet Set Radio back in day, so i'm hoping this would be right up my alley.

IF you loved JSR, you will love this.

Grisby

I feel like this game is going to be overlooked for game of the year. It shouldn't.
I don't know. At least on Giantbomb 3 dudes like it so it might stand a chance to make the list.

But yeah, I hope those that are picking up X1's get a chance to play it before we do our own GOTY in January.
This may sound weird, but so far this is my GOTY.
Nope. It's right there for me but Dragon Age has a good chance to knock it to number 2. Gonna be a fight though.

Played 26 hours since release. Beat the game, completed about half of the side quests, collected roughly 130 of each sneakers, Fizzie balloons, toilet paper, and security cameras (without using maps), and did a couple of Chaos Squad defenses (Propain Launcher reward in the first game!). Had a great time with it, probably my GOTY frontrunner, but I had to put the old girl out to pasture today. $44.80 in Best Buy credit including GCU bonus was too much to pass up on with so many other big releases out currently.

I really hope there's an eventual GOTY/Complete Edition with DLC released sometime in the future.

Montresor

This may sound weird, but so far this is my GOTY.

Not weird at all. This is easily my GOTY. I already posted a couple of pages ago saying this is one of the best games I've ever played. Previously my favourite games this year were Titanfall, Wolfenstein, and Watch Dogs in the early part of the year. Then D4 came out and stomped on them. And then Sunset came in and stomped on that.

Montresor

I've clocked in 32 hours and I just realized I never knew what the Fizzie Acid Spray gun looked like until today. It's got a cute, fuzzy, bouncy little fizzy sticking its head out of a big gun, lol... When I get home from work I've gotta cycle through all the weapons and actually scroll the camera around to front of my main character and have a close look.

I just beat it. This was a very fun game overall. At first I thought it'd just be a repetitive grind on rails shooter with orange soda filled enemies but it got quirkier and funnier as the campaign went on. The self awareness of it being a game is what I loved the most. The Neogaf shoutout near the end was funny and cool.

The main game doesn't seem too long as I completed it in about 9 hours and some change but I didn't do any challenges or side quests so there's lots to do even when you're finished. For a sequel, I'd like it if they implemented several different time of day variants and maybe weather. The bright blue sky aesthetic kind of got old after a while.

I was afraid that I would get bored of Sunset as well. Like you, I'm a huge JSRF fan and this game just oozes that same style. The soundtrack isn't quite as good, but it still awesome if you're into punk. Some of the side missions can get boring, but I honestly can't think of a game where repetition doesn't occur. However, the missions you'll be doing are always pretty humorous, so there's that. Speaking of humor, some of it can be... cringy, at times.

That being said, it's definitely my GOTY so far, unless Dragon Age manages to blow me away.

danowat

Banned
Anyone else find that money, and to a greater extend, OD, are quite hard to come by after the end game?.

Best way seems to be Chaos Squad, but even then the rewards are quite mean.

Fuchsdh

Anyone else find that money, and to a greater extend, OD, are quite hard to come by after the end game?.

Best way seems to be Chaos Squad, but even then the rewards are quite mean.

I spent a lot early on on the collectible maps, so yeah. Barely touched Chaos Squad and couldn't afford a lot of weapons.

But you can just redo the end mission if you need to.

dralla

I read the Chaos Squad gives you upgraded amps and other goodies but whenever I try and play it, it hangs on the matchmaking screen and I never get into a game :( I'm still using all level 1 weapon amps and I want some upgraded ones, or better ones in general

danowat

Banned
I read the Chaos Squad gives you upgraded amps and other goodies but whenever I try and play it, it hangs on the matchmaking screen and I never get into a game :( I'm still using all level 1 weapon amps and I want some upgraded ones, or better ones in general

Collecting collectables also gives you a few level 2 amps.

The rewards aren't very well explained from Chaos Squad, I've got amps and weapons with a + next to them, and I have no idea what they are!.

dralla

Collecting collectables also gives you a few level 2 amps.

The rewards aren't very well explained from Chaos Squad, I've got amps and weapons with a + next to them, and I have no idea what they are!.

Yea I think I can get the Burn, Baby, Burn level 2, I'll probably pick that up, but that's only one. I think one of the few complaints I have with the game is that the amps aren't a little more prevalent and meaningful. Is there a way to upgrade the non-weapon amps? I love the fire grinding one. I did Floyd missions at each base to upgrade the VATs and still nothing

danowat

Banned
Upgrading Vats just gives you more "base health" for the defense missions.

The other amp upgrades available through collectables are..

Stun Rounds (2)
Damage roll (2)
Seismic Slash (2)
Lightning (2)

Other than that, I am not even sure if upgraded versions of the other amps are possible to get, through Chaos or other means.

RBK

Banned
How long was the game for most of you?

Just defeated the Fizzle boss and don't want it to end anytime soon.

Finally finished the game today with 100% collectables. Took a while to do, but what a great game to do it in. I still have to finish the challenges, and I spent very little time with chaos squad. Had a couple instances of slowdown late in the game at kinda weird (no major action) times, but all in all a solid title. If you are on the fence I highly recommend the game. I even laughed out loud quite a few times at the humor. I can see myself picking up the DLC, if it is story driven.

If you get gold on a night defense challenge you get a new melee weapon (a different one for each). Theres a bug in UI where it doesn't show the reward properly (that is getting fixed).

Jeff-DSA

Is anybody having issues with crashes. Over the weekend I had 3 hard crashes out to the dashboard. Just bad luck, or is there a known issue?

Nuke Soda

Got myself an Xbox One and then I bought this game. A few hours in and this is one of the few games this year to live up to my excitement over it. I play under Nuke Soda like my name here if anybody needs an extra Sunset buddy, though I am early in the game and have not tried the multiplayer yet.

Top Bottom