• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive Review Thread

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Happy Xbone owner here, got it at launch and have been very happy with it.

So many great exclusives

Forza Motorsport 5
Ryse (well it's a console exclusive still, MS owns windows)
Dead Rising 3 (ditto)
Titanfall
Forza Horizon 2
Sunset Overdrive
Master Chief Collections
Ori
Multiplat titles (Don't care about 1080p really, 900p looks fine)

Next year we have

Quantam Break
Halo 5: Guardians
Fable Legends
Plus more stuff announced at E3

I don't get the people saying they can't justify buying an XB1 for just one game, there is heaps of quality stuff on it you can't play on PS4.

Oh my...

I hate to detract from the (well deserved) positivity in this thread, but you could be a bit more subtle with that astroturfing. Remember, not everyone likes the same things. Couldn't help but notice the absence of a PSN, Steam or NNID in your profile.

Enough of the listwars bullshit.

farisr

Glad to see the game is scoring well so far (even though I personally don't care for review scores, to determine whether I want to play a game or not), the more people it pushes to buy games like these the better. I hope a demo is out by the time I get an Xbox One, as this is definitely one of those games I need to play a little bit of to figure out if I will enjoy it or not.

p3tran

Banned
Happy Xbone owner here, got it at launch and have been very happy with it.

So many great exclusives

Forza Motorsport 5
Ryse (well it's a console exclusive still, MS owns windows)
Dead Rising 3 (ditto)
Titanfall
Forza Horizon 2
Sunset Overdrive
Master Chief Collections
Ori
Multiplat titles (Don't care about 1080p really, 900p looks fine)

Next year we have

Quantam Break
Halo 5: Guardians
Fable Legends
Plus more stuff announced at E3

I don't get the people saying they can't justify buying an XB1 for just one game, there is heaps of quality stuff on it you can't play on PS4.

you dont get .....console wars?
there are people that will NEVER buy the competing product to their favorite one, it is like a sin or something.
yet they have to endure an entire generation of downplaying each and every good thing competition does. you've seen it, you know it.
hope this cynical explanation ..expands your horizons a little bit :D

those who are not trusted console warriors.. well, they dont argue that much. they see, judge, and ultimately buy & enjoy.

EDIT

Oh my...

I hate to detract from the (well deserved) positivity in this thread, but you could be a bit more subtle with that astroturfing.
lolwut? you for real my friend? is he astroturfing? this what you understand? really? :D :D :D

derFeef

Oh my...

I hate to detract from the (well deserved) positivity in this thread, but you could be a bit more subtle with that astroturfing. Remember, not everyone likes the same things. Couldn't help but notice the absence of a PSN, Steam or NNID in your profile.

Don't see any difference with the post you made earlier about your "choice". Calling out astroturfing I sure hope you can back it up. Pointing at someone without any evidence is not cool.

Really excited by these scores. I don't have an Xbone yet, but SO is alluring enough (I'm a massive fan of Ratchet & Clank and inFamous, and I've seen those games popping up a lot in reviews) that I think I may have to pick one up just to play it.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Don't see any difference with the post you made earlier about your "choice". Calling out astroturfing I sure hope you can back it up. Pointing at someone without any evidence is not cool.

Do please elaborate. I was responding to this.

For those of us who already got one, some of us exclusively for this game (like, say, me), it's just kind of weird and personally bewildering that it didn't have the same impact.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions of course, and their own motivations for investing in a console, of course, but those of us who get to play this in a few hours, who made the decision to literally bet on this game, it's probably just a case of euphoria transitioning into a sense of hilariousness.

Kinda like…

SUNSET OVERDRIVE.

I think my response was reasonable. And it certainly didn't read like an advertisement.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
15271673775_41d967d82d_o_d.gif

Weeee!

Holy fuck that's so cool

Not gonna lie, I got a little nervous opening this thread. I bought it digitally last week based off the videos and information I've seen since the reveal, but I still had my doubts.

Alx

So can we assume that jstevenson is now drunk after all the launch partying ?
Congrats guys, you now deserve some rest for the good work. Can't wait to play the game this Friday. :)

Oh my...

If you think someone's astroturfing, PM a mod so they can investigate.

p3tran

Banned
Why does it seem like all the shills work for MS?

are you another one of those strange people that think that when you make a post refuting the STUPID <<I cant justify a whole console for just one exclusive game>>,
by listing a bunch of great exclusive games, you are astroturfing?

retort me with the cliche <<different tastes>> please.
i have seen this like a thousand times already.. so, +1 plz.

my2c:
these post that hunt down and kill positivity of xbone owners, I find these post more suspect of payed work than those quoted.

They always feel off to me. But it's probably depending on the person. For me Nintendo controls are always very direct and spot on.
Ratchet always feels kind of too slow for me. Even the running animations and stuff. I like the games, don't get me wrong. But that just feels off for me personally.
sunset controls are solid my friend, you should have no worries.
its one of the two things I investigated, that I was worried about. I've spoken with many people I trust they know their thing about how the game controls specifically. no worries there ;)

Yeah I mean is R&C controlls like even a bad thing tho
They always feel off to me. But it's probably depending on the person. For me Nintendo controls are always very direct and spot on.
Ratchet always feels kind of too slow for me. Even the running animations and stuff. I like the games, don't get me wrong. But that just feels off for me personally.

Yeah damn.. Gotta save up.. This and the quantum break game, crackdown coming, below, etc.. Fuuuck.

Guerrilla

I find it strange that you think that was astroturfing (in a XBO exclusive title review thread). Yet you openly state that you don't have any interest in this game or the Xbox because of two titles that come to your system of choice - in here.

Same for me sadly but only because of work :(

Maybe we can get some german coop in there later this week ;)

can't wait to play!!

JayEH

Not a big fan of the game's humor and I'm especially not going to like if it's going to be super self aware. Enjoy Metal Gear's subtle way of breaking the fourth wall not something overtly obvious.

I'm also not really into buying another open world shooter even if it is trying to do something with its movement. It seems too...slow though. I think I may pick it up when it's on sale but definitely not full price.

farmerboy

Don't have a xbox one so a bit jealous right now but more importantly;

Looks like Insomniac have their mojo back. YAY!

Tengrave

On one of the episodes of GT Time I thought Blood said that he had a feeling that Sunset would flop. I was worried it would as well but awesome to see it score high in general. Excited to play

stay gold

Awesome reviews. I would have bought it no matter what, but it's good to see Insomniac rewarded for making the game they wanted this time.

Not a big fan of the game's humor and I'm especially not going to like if it's going to be super self aware. Enjoy Metal Gear's subtle way of breaking the fourth wall not something overtly obvious.

I'm also not really into buying another open world shooter even if it is trying to do something with its movement. It seems too...slow though. I think I may pick it up when it's on sale but definitely not full price.

It sure does.

http://a.pomf.se/fkvfmf.webm

Looks almost glacial.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
If you think someone's astroturfing, PM a mod so they can investigate.

Perhaps Astroturfing was the wrong word to use, but it still read like a bloody advertisement.

I find it strange that you think that was astroturfing (in a XBO exclusive title review thread). Yet you openly state that you don't have any interest in this game or the Xbox because of two titles that come to your system of choice - in here.

Quoting for that sweet, sweet posterity. Not once, in this thread, nor on Neogaf as a whole did I ever state that I have no interest in this game. Go ahead and dig through my post history. You won't find me say anything slightly negative about this game, because I do think it looks great.

And no, it's not that I don't have interest in an Xbox. It's just that I can't justify the cost as I already have a PS4 and I'm buying a WiiU for the wife
and me
soon. People may call me a console warrior because I don't have all three machines, but what percentage of people on GAF really own all three? I have a big enough backlog as is. And with an immigration application, and potentially kids on the horizon, my free time is just going to increase.

Sooooo... Care to take another shot, or can I expect a retraction?

derFeef

Perhaps Astroturfing was the wrong word to use, but it still read like a bloody advertisement.

Ah... fair enough.
Highly possible still wrong.

Quoting for that sweet, sweet posterity. Not once, in this thread, nor on Neogaf as a whole did I ever state that I have no interest in this game. Go ahead and dig through my post history. You won't find me say anything slightly negative about this game, because I do think it looks great. ?

Check out my username. While I'm always open to new things, the only exclusive that would get me to buy a system would be one directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki or Hideo Kojima and one of those is coming to the PS4 very soon. Hence my decision.

Does imply that, no?

Or it reads like someone who is happy with their console of choice and wants to point out that why they can't understand when someone says they can't justify buying the console for on game.

I know it's easy to claim astroturfing/shill when you've caught feels from seeing a game do great on a console you don't have or want, but you really need to read the entirety of the post and argue its points instead of jumping to make such baseless accusations.

My god. I feel like Michael Pachter except without all the money. I thought the game looked like crap for the most part. I'm glad I was wrong really. Should make for an interesting holiday season with the reviews and the $50 cut. MS is certainly doing what they need to do to stay in the game.

So with the game apparently being good and $50 off I might be buying the SO bundle.

Top Bottom