• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive Review Thread

THRILLH0

Banned
Perhaps Astroturfing was the wrong word to use, but it still read like a bloody advertisement.

Quoting for that sweet, sweet posterity. Not once, in this thread, nor on Neogaf as a whole did I ever state that I have no interest in this game. Go ahead and dig through my post history. You won't find me say anything slightly negative about this game, because I do think it looks great.

And no, it's not that I don't have interest in an Xbox. It's just that I can't justify the cost as I already have a PS4 and I'm buying a WiiU for the wife
and me
soon. People may call me a console warrior because I don't have all three machines, but what percentage of people on GAF really own all three? I have a big enough backlog as is. And with an immigration application, and potentially kids on the horizon, my free time is just going to increase.

Sooooo... Care to take another shot, or can I expect a retraction?

Mate just give it a rest. Why call a guy out for extolling the virtues of the XB1 in a thread for one of its biggest exclusives?

We get it, you don't want an XB1, you've made it clear and that's perfectly fine. But all you're really doing in this thread is pissing in people's cheerios.

ekim

Preloading!
image60uh3.jpg

tuna_love

Banned
Perhaps Astroturfing was the wrong word to use, but it still read like a bloody advertisement.

Quoting for that sweet, sweet posterity. Not once, in this thread, nor on Neogaf as a whole did I ever state that I have no interest in this game. Go ahead and dig through my post history. You won't find me say anything slightly negative about this game, because I do think it looks great.

And no, it's not that I don't have interest in an Xbox. It's just that I can't justify the cost as I already have a PS4 and I'm buying a WiiU for the wife
and me
soon. People may call me a console warrior because I don't have all three machines, but what percentage of people on GAF really own all three? I have a big enough backlog as is. And with an immigration application, and potentially kids on the horizon, my free time is just going to increase.

Well you did call them out on only having a xbox account on their profile.

and me

I don't even have the console or this game.... yet. More of a PS guy to be honest, but even I gotta be like

eN87Qis.gif

So with the game apparently being good and $50 off I might be buying the SO bundle.

If you do, also consider getting Forza Horizon 2, Max: The Curse of Brotherhood, and D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die. Those three are all amazing games, and they're currently fighting for the spot of the best game I've played all year. I have a feeling that Sunset will join them soon.

Glad to hear it's reviewed well. I've said since day one that this game looked fun as hell and it looks like they delivered. Have it preloaded and can't wait for the unlock.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Does imply that, no?

No. This may come as a shock to you, but I doubt there has ever been a games system* in the history of gaming that hasn't had at least one exclusive that interests me. Still, it doesn't guarantee that I'll buy the system. I have a finite budget for gaming and not enough time to devote to multiple systems. The last time I had all consoles (and a pc) was during the PS2/GC/OGXbox era, but I was 16, living at home and had around 10x the amount of time and spare money I can afford to dedicate to gaming now. Since then, I have moved continents twice, got married, started a very busy job, and also started devoting more time to other interests (fitness and music). As much as I would like to play all the games that interest me, there isn't a single system capable of doing so. Sadly.

Anyway, enjoy Sunset Overdrive.

* Hmm... About that. Perhaps the Gizmondo may actually be that system. Then again, I heard that sticky balls was quite fun.

Oh my...

I hate to detract from the (well deserved) positivity in this thread, but you could be a bit more subtle with that astroturfing. Remember, not everyone likes the same things. Couldn't help but notice the absence of a PSN, Steam or NNID in your profile.

Enough of the listwars bullshit.

This post is embarrassing.

derFeef

No. This may come as a shock to you, but I doubt there has ever been a games system* in the history of gaming that hasn't had at least one exclusive that interests me. Still, it doesn't guarantee that I'll buy the system. I have a finite budget for gaming and not enough time to devote to multiple systems. The last time I had all consoles (and a pc) was during the PS2/GC/OGXbox era, but I was 16, living at home and had around 10x the amount of time and spare money I can afford to dedicate to gaming now. Since then, I have moved continents twice, got married, started a very busy job, and also started devoting more time to other interests (fitness and music). As much as I would like to play all the games that interest me, there isn't a single system capable of doing so. Sadly.

* Hmm... About that. Perhaps the Gizmondo may actually be that system. Then again, I heard that sticky balls was quite fun.

Thanks, I will.
And sorry, but ...

violin.jpg

:)

Eios

Awesome! Was hoping SO would be received good. Another reason for me to get an xbone in the coming weeks, along with MCC.

mocoworm

I hate to detract from the (well deserved) positivity in this thread, but you could be a bit more subtle with that astroturfing. Remember, not everyone likes the same things. Couldn't help but notice the absence of a PSN, Steam or NNID in your profile.

I don't get it. You don't have a NNID, GamerTag or Steam acc in your profile ?

I've been playing it since Friday and I think it's one of my most enjoyed current gen experiences yet. The traversal is insane, the weapons, amps and overdrive provide some amazing variety and fun combinations, and the world is just full of color and personality. Insomniac does a good job of making fun of themselves and games as a whole, and while some of it feels a little forced, I couldn't help but have a little grin on my face.

Someone else on my site was handling the review, it should be up in a bit on xboxgamer.me

mocoworm

Just sign up to a games rental service like I do. £8 a month and I get unlimited PS3, 360, XONE, PS4 and VITA games sent to me one at a time as soon as I have played them and sent them back.

(I could get Wii, Wii-U etc as well but I don't own those consoles.)

Saying "I don't own this console" probably doesn't warrant 2-3 pages of worthless posts directed at one user either but here we are

I agree, which begs the question, why is the poster in here calling others on astroturfing as well as making claims of poster bias, when he's made it clear he has no interest in the console the game is on?

What is the poster hoping to achieve? Derail the thread so people focus on his nonsensical garbage and not get hyped for a game on a console he has no interest in?

a.wd

Sunset overdrive = Jet set radio+crackdown?

Bought, so fucking bought, like stand out of my way, I'll push over a buggy and drop kick the elderly bought.

seriously, reference 2 of my top 10 games and I'm in.

Also someone said "what if I don't like jet set radio?" that's like not liking Sex or great music, possible but weird.

Colombo

Wow really strong reviews. I hope this sells well because we need more games likr this. I was skeptical about how it would end up but after reading those reviews, this has now been added to my wishlist.

mocoworm

I have had SO on pre-order from Amazon for months and I can honestly say that I almost cancelled it at the weekend as I wasn't sure and was going to add it to my rental list instead.

I remembered that review day was today and I thought I would hang on a little, and now I am so glad I did. Definitely a day 1 purchase after reading these reviews.

I also got an email from Amazon at the weekend with a pre-order gun code. I just redeemed it on xbox.com. Good times.

Zyae

But you have time enough to come in here and tell people they are shills for being happy about their console purchase and to repeatedly tell people why you dont own a Xbox One in a review thread about a Xbox One exclusive.

Heartfyre

Polygon gave it a 9? I'd have been certain they'd have found some issue of representation to base 3/4s of their review off of, and then give it a 6.

A lot of great scores, and a couple of unpleasant ones. Mostly what I expected, though I didn't anticipate so many positive ones. I'll happily eat crow, though.

But you have time enough to come in here and tell people they are shills for being happy about their console purchase and to repeatedly tell people why you dont own a Xbox One in a review thread about a Xbox One exclusive.

Stop talking about what I don't have and talk about what I do about sums it up.

Cornbread78

It's a shame Sony screwed up on getting this game on PS4. It's not really my cup of tea, but Stering said they gave Neogaf a shout out, so I guess the tide has now turned: we went from SonyGAF to XBONE GAF from this 1 game..

Azlan

Woo hoo. What a nice surprise to wake up to. I already had the game pre loaded and was pretty sure I would get enjoyment out of it no matter what, but the additional hype of solid review scores is welcome.

I have an urge to go back to all of the negative posts saying that there was no way this would review well and make them eat some crow. But no good would come of that.

So this is the first time I pre-ordered something on amazon. I got the bundle. When will I get an email saying it shipped? It still says delivery date tomorrow but I still haven't got an email.

Sorry I didn't know where to ask this lol.

Blueblur1

I was waiting on the reviews before pre-ordering. I'm really glad it's reviewing that well. Now I know I'm in for a treat. Can't wait. :)

Top Bottom