• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive Review Thread

Just watched their review...what a bummer. Unfortunately confirmed what I feared after watching some gameplay footage.

Ah, that sucks. I'm hoping they patch in some difficulty options later or make it sufficiently challenging. It would be disappointing to master the traversal only for the game to lack any challenge.

A lack of challenge bored me in SoM. We'll see I suppose soon enough. The game unlocks at 12pm EST right?

HardRojo

A pleasant surprise. A shame I won't be able to play it until probably early next year, when I get an XBO, but it's nice to know SO holds up well. Been looking forward to it ever since it was announced.

Hubble

I guess only marketing could in fairness help, out of these... All the others mean jack shit saleswise.

I hope it sells well, because I had lots of fun with it. But I'm afraid it will drown between the high profile november releases fast

Dont think so. A lot of people buying a new game this holiday will take a stab at it because they want something brand new, an exclusive, and not Assassins Creed or Call of Duty.

So the most consistent knocks seem to be repetitive mission design and hit or miss humor depending on your tastes.

I can live with that. Hopefully the missions don't end up too monotonous but even still if the rest of the game is great I can't imagine it would take that much away from the experience.

Gah, can't wait until tomorrow. This game is going to be the perfect lead in to the November heavy hitters.

butman

VideoGamer
Oct 27, 2014
Sunset Overdrive has some excellent ideas, but its triumphs are sadly suffocated beneath ultra-repetitive mission design and unsatisfying enemy encounters.

Enought for not buying it. Another good looking game with a "peculiar" art with repetitive and bad gameplay.

VideoGamer
Oct 27, 2014
Sunset Overdrive has some excellent ideas, but its triumphs are sadly suffocated beneath ultra-repetitive mission design and unsatisfying enemy encounters.

Enought for not buying it. Another good looking game with a "peculiar" art with repetitive and bad gameplay.

Most reviews have been positive, but okay. Thats your right.

SegaShack

Wow. This game looked great to me from the start but all the downers on here made me skeptical as of recent. These are some amazing scores. Looking forward to playing this Tuesday. Thanks to Gamestop who gave out tons of XBL money over summer.

Zyae

VideoGamer
Oct 27, 2014

Sunset Overdrive may not be destined to receive the same kind of attention or hype fellow Xbox One releases like Halo: The Master Chief Collection or Titanfall have, but that doesn’t stop it from being one of the most creative, enjoyable, endearing, or satisfying gaming options the console has to offer.

Sunset Overdrive is big, gorgeous, and a hell of a lot of fun. Never has getting from point A to point B in an open-world game provided so much enjoyment. It provides some of the most fun, frantic, and fantastic gaming I've had on the Xbox One. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to once-again adorn my wolf mask, leap off the highest ledge I can find, and fire an explosive stuffed animal at that group of angry robots.

Is that enough to buy it?

VideoGamer
Oct 27, 2014

Out of all the reviews you decide to go by, its VideoGamer...

new-girl-head-shake-shame-what-happned-gif.gif

T.O.P

Banned
VideoGamer
Oct 27, 2014

One quote from the worst score/review the game got and that's enough to not buy it? i'm really questioning if you ever wanted buy it in the first place lol

These reviews bode well. Excited to pick this up and play tomorrow...oh wait, I have to work two jobs and the girlfriend wants to go out for dinner :(

It's ok though.

Videogames...

Pompous-Malcolm.png

...find a way.

Still hyped. Sadly, for all the criticisms on the humor, it seems like my type of humor!

Wanted a Xbox for this game alone. Poor thing has set on the shelf since the Microsoft Store error as a Twitch box. Excited for tomorrow.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Don't have $120 to spend on 2 games this coming month. IF you had to choose one, SSO or HaloMCC witch would it be?

Depends if you have played Halo before or not.

As I have played all the Halo's multiple times I am holding off for a little bit and picking up SO tonight!

Dabanton

One quote from the worst score/review the game got and that's enough to not buy it? i'm really questioning if you ever wanted buy it in the first place lol

His post history should tell you all you need to know...

I'm laughing at people coming in here using that V.G review and the GT review as the only reviews that actually matter. Brings this thread to a new level of hilariousness.

prwxv3

Its going to be really entertaining to see how opinions on Insmoniac change once RC releases next year

Anways game looks ace

Azlan

I've been playing the game for about a week now. Now that the embargo is up I can talk all I want about the game. Ask me questions and I'll do my best to answer.

Come hang with me bros!

http://www.twitch.tv/eatgames

Could you let us know what you think about the game difficulty? I have heard some people saying Chaos Mode gets really difficult and then others saying the campaign is too easy, and yet others saying it has a decent learning curve. Kind of seems all over the place.

Blur

Banned
Some of the reviews I read are just hilariously stupid... I won't say which ones but I'm sure some of you have read them... But I will put one sentence that made me just WTF in real..

"Shooting is weak and near-automated, requiring players to just glance in the direction of their enemies and pull the trigger."

You mean just like every game where it requires you to AIM and SHOOT a gun? That sentence was from the same guy that said that Destinys PvP was FANTASTIC and the gunplay was amazing.

Some guys should not review games... Although Sunset Overdrive has flaws, the review should not just point out one thing in a game but support it in another.

Dabanton

Its going to be really entertaining to see how opinions on Insmoniac change once RC releases next year

Anways game looks ace

Because they'll be making a PS4 game? Anyone getting upset over that is an ass.

Sunset Overdrive will still be out, so why would anyones opinions change?

Anways game looks ace

I'm confused too. Do you mean after this game reviewing well and then a new R&C reviewing well that Insomniac will be respected again?

Still hyped. Sadly, for all the criticisms on the humor, it seems like my type of humor!

That's one of the problems with humor in games, it's so subjective. I've loved the humor of this game since day 1, and I'm confident I'll still find the game pretty funny, even if it fell flat for a few other reviewers. There's been plenty of instances where I've thought something was really funny in a game, only to find out that a lot of other people found it annoying or terrible. Tiny Tina in Borderlands 2, for example.

Servbot24

Banned
Some of the reviews I read are just hilariously stupid... I won't say which ones but I'm sure some of you have read them... But I will put one sentence that made me just WTF in real..

"Shooting is weak and near-automated, requiring players to just glance in the direction of their enemies and pull the trigger."

You mean just like every game where it requires you to AIM and SHOOT a gun? That sentence was from the same guy that said that Destinys PvP was FANTASTIC and the gunplay was amazing.

Some guys should not review games... Although Sunset Overdrive has flaws, the review should not just point out one thing in a game but support it in another.

Destiny has received lots of positive feedback for gunplay. It's other areas where it fell short.

SO has received lots of criticism for its auto-aim. That critique is nothing new or unreasonable.

That's one of the problems with humor in games, it's so subjective. I've loved the humor of this game since day 1, and I'm confident I'll still find the game pretty funny, even if it fell flat for a few other reviewers. There's been plenty of instances where I've thought something was really funny in a game, only to find out that a lot of other people found it annoying or terrible. Tiny Tina in Borderlands 2, for example.

Yeah, I LOVE obnoxious humor, so this kind of humor seems right up my alley.

Top Bottom