• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive Review Thread

Yes, meta-scoring sites always do, IGN or Gamespot don't have the same weigh as minor sites. I think someone reverse-engineered their scores to estimate the coefficient of each site, apparently he was quite accurate.

Wait, do you mean that the metascore is not just the average of the reviews? This is the first time I heard that...

I should sum al values and take the number.. but I'm to lazy for that -.-

What are the other 2? FH2 and? We can probably as MCC will crush but I'm guessing that's not it.

FH2, SO and Halo MCC?

I fail to see how Halo won't get ridiculously high review scores considering what it is, the value of the package and the quality of the content unless 343i have been hiding some mega technical problems...

derFeef

Looks like Microsoft backed the right horse in Insomniac, letting them produce the game they wanted unlike FUSE. Hopefully Phill will give Rare similar support, Xbox One is going to have one hell of an exclusive line up.

Rare is already making a "Rare game" and Kinect Sports moved to a different studio.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It is.

I'm referring to FH2/SO/MCC.

MS has been brilliant this holiday season.

They've done their part, now it's up to the consumer to reward them.

I think they'll do well in US and UK, but they have systemic problems in non English speaking countries, that existed even in the 360 generation.

Looks like Microsoft backed the right horse in Insomniac, letting them produce the game they wanted unlike FUSE. Hopefully Phill will give Rare similar support, Xbox One is going to have one hell of an exclusive line up.

Yeh, thing is, MS didn't need it to be generic/focus grouped or whatever you want to call it. MS need something a bit different in their line-up and thats why I don't think concerns over that happened to SO were ever likely to be true... it wouldn't fit what MS wanted let alone Insomniac.

Rare is already making a "Rare game" and Kinect Sports moved to a different studio.

Im pretty sure Phil said he thought another studio could do KS but that they weren't developing anything right now. I think Sumo might make one, perhaps.

sora87

GT's review seems to echo what I feared about this game, terrible attempts at humor, non-existent story and quite barren world.
But the gameplay sounds fun and it's very colorful with lots of action happening every second, so it's good enough for me.
Reminds me of a Dreamcast game which is why I had to pick it up.

BumRush

It is.

The game (MCC) hasn't even been reviewed yet. I think it will be amazing as well but we should probably wait a bit, no? I mean honestly, I thought driveclub was great and then the server issues destroyed it (not comparing the two games at all, trust me)...let's wait until it's released to add it to the list. I'll agree though, I played FH2 for the first time yesterday and thought it was an excellent game, and SO looks fun as well.

Alx

Wait, do you mean that the metascore is not just the average of the reviews? This is the first time I heard that...

I should sum al values and take the number.. but I'm to lazy for that -.-

It is definitely more complex than just doing an average of different scores. But then the recipe is "secret" and Metacritic even contested the results of the estimations I mentioned earlier (Kotaku also mentioned that at least two of them were wrong).
Those are the coefficients that were estimated by the way (it's based on older data though, so some recent websites aren't included).

flkraven

It is.

The game (MCC) hasn't even been reviewed yet. I think it will be amazing as well but we should probably wait a bit, no? I mean honestly, I thought driveclub was great and then the server issues destroyed it (not comparing the two games at all, trust me)...let's wait until it's released to add it to the list. I'll agree though, I played FH2 for the first time yesterday and thought it was an excellent game, and SO looks fun as well.

Even though it's Harmonix, I think we can slot Fantasia in as 3/3 for MS so far. 3 Xbox exclusives all 80 or above on MC is pretty good.

bigmac996

Why this game is only 3 points above InFamous;SS in Metacritic? Not trying to argue wich game is better but IIRC I:SS received a lot of non so good reviews. And here we have a lot of 9 of the major review sites.

Nope, it's around 83% like it says. I quickly just calculated it. Should be 84% actually so it's a little off.

Infamous checks out too. Both have several positive reviews, and Infamous didn't have many negatives at all really.

Guerrilla

MCC is gonna review at an average at or above 93... anything else would really really surprise me. There will also not be any substantial server issues with the mcc. And I don't even need to get my crystal ball for these predictions.

Miles X

FH2, SO and Halo MCC?

I fail to see how Halo won't get ridiculously high review scores considering what it is, the value of the package and the quality of the content unless 343i have been hiding some mega technical problems...

Fantasia got 80 and Ori is bound to review well as well.

The Dreamcast fanman in me is CRAVING for a game like Sunset Overdrive!
Insomniac seems to deliver with this game, awesome to see.

Picking up a Xbox One very soon. ;-)

ironcreed

Banned
Maybe someone else mentioned it, but you should probably put that in quotes, since it's not yours.

B09jLMkCIAIU2qU.jpg

11twxubjpg.gif

I am not going to cringe because it knows it's a game and sees fit to remind me of it with some corny inside gamer jokes, etc. I'll take that over another brown and grey war game with some super serious dry plot any day. Not that I hate games like that, I'm just saying that there is enough of them. This is a game where taking the cheese in stride with the rest of the madness will probably just add to the experience for me.

Alx

Fantasia got 80 and Ori is bound to review well as well.

I'll grab the opportunity to mention that Fantasia is really an excellent game. That and SO definitely give me a good dreamcast vibe of simple, pure fun (to be confirmed for SO since I haven't played it yet, but since everybody seems to agree, I'm not really going out on a limb there...)

Gestault

Really glad to hear people have liked this, and even some of the less enthusiastic reviews have called out great stuff about it that has been missing from a lot of other releases.

Definitely gonna have to try this once I pick up a Bone next year. I wasn't interested at all until seeing recent gameplay, where it basically looked like Jet Set Radio with guns.

I must be weird though as I don't really care for the visuals.

none of that was going on in here, though. you're bringing it in.

you can't make a "general idea you claim to exist" eat crow. to make someone eat crow, you need names and quotes. so unless you want to bring in names and quotes and dress those people down individually, (which is sure to have fun results) I'd just leave it out of this thread.

Though theres one problem with what you're saying. I never asked anyone to eat crow, nor mentioned it. I just said: why can't he point it out? Then I brought in reasons as to why he would say such a thing.

And I don't claim it exists, it does and if you followed other comments in this thread that confirm it, you would know it exists too.

I have no idea how you get here from me saying one thing about his freedom to bring up something to me being accused of actually saying it. You're getting pretty silly.

Just calm down, you're the only one getting so worked up by this. So worked up that you're confusing what others said and pinning it on me.

After all of my inner conflict... I decided what console I want to get first...

PS4-------

This game looks awesome, and the Halo MCC is f****** HALO , but I have so many free PS+ games waiting for me on PS4, I have LBP3 on the way, and I was crazy invested in LBP1. 2, and Vita. LBP3 is HUGE for me. Shareplay is the main thing that pushed me over the edge here though to be honest.

Sunset Overdrive looks amazing, but it's not a game that I'm desperate to getting into early. I want to be involved with LBP3 asap. Halo, I mean I don't think I have to worry about that community losing it's luster anytime soon, plus, I already had those experiences with the original releases

I would have just gotten the XBox One already, but my friend got a PS4, expecting me to get a PS4. Now while I never said what console I was going to get, I was always leaning toward PS4. So I'd be leaving him super hanging if I got an XBox One..

Shareplay is just perfect and revolutionary for me. Me and my friend with the PS4 are always on the phone. There are always times where i'm not really playing anything and he's screaming about his battlefield match or whatever he's playing, so it'd be much more entertaining for me now since I can actually watch his match. The rest of the share play features speak for itself in this case.

/thestorythatnooneaskedfor

Raide

Don't have $120 to spend on 2 games this coming month. IF you had to choose one, SSO or HaloMCC witch would it be?

Hrmm...depends on how much you like Halo. That is the better overall package content wise but SO is worth it to support developers.

Exile20

GT's review seems to echo what I feared about this game, terrible attempts at humor, non-existent story and quite barren world.
But the gameplay sounds fun and it's very colorful with lots of action happening every second, so it's good enough for me.
Reminds me of a Dreamcast game which is why I had to pick it up.

The barren world was very evident in the streams, the storyline was just paper thin, the lead character is just annoying and that was humor was annoying after 20 mins.

Oh well.

orochi91

I think they'll do well in US and UK, but they have systemic problems in non English speaking countries, that existed even in the 360 generation.

I don't think that will ever change.

I personally never count non-English speaking countries as having any significant potential
for the Xbox brand.

US/UK alone will probably guarantee enough sales to warrant a successor.

Even though it's Harmonix, I think we can slot Fantasia in as 3/3 for MS so far. 3 Xbox exclusives all 80 or above on MC is pretty good.

Yea, I forgot about Fantasia and Ori.

Seriously, what a lineup for this holiday season O.O

Great scores. I've seen a few complaints about music though which is puzzling to me. I rarely see anybody criticize music in their reviews. Is it offensively awful or something?

Gotta love your enthusiasm Miles, it reminds me of my TEW excitement. I hope you get it ASAP! Game looks fantastic. Great to see the review scores being so good.

I'm crazy hyped to finally play this. More so than any other game this year, which is strange as the past month has been incredible in terms of games I've been hyped for delivering.

Shadow of Mordor, DC, Horizon 2, D4. It's been a non stop train of awesomeness and I haven't even touched Alien Isolation and TEW yet...

characters and story look annoying, and according to GT there's absolutely no challenge and no difficulty setting. Anything that rolls over and provides no meaningful challenge becomes quickly uninteresting to me.

Think I'm cancelling. Haven't finished TEW or Alien yet.

Just watched their review...what a bummer. Unfortunately confirmed what I feared after watching some gameplay footage.

MORTALIS

I guess only marketing could in fairness help, out of these... All the others mean jack shit saleswise.

I hope it sells well, because I had lots of fun with it. But I'm afraid it will drown between the high profile november releases fast

Not entirely true. I bought this morning based on review scores. Couldn't care less about the marketing that's been going on for months. The reviews alone (and then wom) will pull a bunch of potential buyers off the fence.

From an unwashed masses perspective, Walmart type numbers, your post has merit. I just can't help but think about activision touting all those obscure review sites for Destiny, they felt scores were enough of a factor to pull that stunt. Post review embargo there's that opportunity to market the game and it's scores.

I think the concerns about a crowded November are real, but it was never going to achieve cod or halo numbers. It's already a critical success, now we wait...

Awesome that its reviewing well and congrats to insomniac :)

Sucks to hear that humor is still is what it is. Oh well, im sure I'll still a great time with it...

Top Bottom