• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends |OT19| Three-Fifths of a Thread

Fat4all

Banned
I'm catching up on the podcast.

They didn't know Death Strannding was open world? I could of sworn they mentioned it on the cast when that presentation happen with the 'rope' talk happened.

Also, guest keyboards are strong guests.

I want Woolie to just
walk right by Priscilla and leave.

Also, I have the most morbid of curiosities of seeing Woolie's patented
hesitation against multiple enemies during the O and the S fight.

After the way the fan base has been reacting over the last few episodes, I hope he does as well. They're barely halfway through the game, so if the complaints over "WAH IT'S TAKING SO LONG" are bad now Woolie is going to come away from DS1 absolutely despising the game because of the bitching.

I seriously doubt Woolie is going to hate the game based on people's negativity towards the LP. That would be the most unwoolie thing he could do. He won't take their advice on a better weapon so why would he care people are complaining?

I seriously doubt Woolie is going to hate the game based on people's negativity towards the LP. That would be the most unwoolie thing he could do. He won't take their advice on a better weapon so why would he care people are complaining?

I'm gonna take a wild guess here, and say he actually wants the LP to be entertaining(while also being entertaining to himself). He has just some to the conclusion that doing whatever the vocal souls fans tell him to isn't the best way to go about doing that, so they can pretty much be ignored in many cases(I'm sure they contradict each other all the time. Hell, there are even people in this very topic who say he should stick to the toothpick).

ZzzZombi

Neo Member
I really don't understand the criticism about the slow pacing of DS1. It's all over youtube and I've seen some here, too. I don't get what people want honestly. They keep saying "progress! progress!" but this isn't a walkthrough of the game, this is a "let's play". Moments like Woolie kept getting stuck in those stairs are why I'm watching these things and I thought people liked those moments.

The bad part is that every time Woolie dies quickly after another death, he just gets bummed out, sounds demoralized and I think part of the reason for that is he thinks they're doing this LP for nothing and people are gonna get mad at him for that. Maybe I'm wrong about this but he needs to stop caring about the "slow souls" whiners and just play it to his heart's content.

I've seen similar fan comments on other channels as well. Why would someone spent their time watching these if they despise it sooo much?

Breads

Banned
People can both complain and simultaneously be entertained by the things they are complaining about. Giving them shit for banging their heads against a wall is part of the experience.

Thank about the Pat talk for example. People can both acknowledge how much of a disgusting piece of shit he is and also love him for daring to be that disgusting, a person who will live on for eternity as a sapient toilet.

People can both complain and simultaneously be entertained by the things they are complaining about. Giving them shit for banging their heads against a wall is part of the experience.

Thank about the Pat talk for example. People can both acknowledge how much of a disgusting piece of shit he is and also love him for daring to be that disgusting, a person who will live on for eternity as a sapient toilet.

You are right, but I don't believe that is what is happening here. At least not in all cases.

Disgraced

That cut should've been larger and that ending was way too skimpy. That's it.

Yes, per usual there are a lot of hyperbolic and toxic comments.

Fat4all

Banned
I'm fucking loving this DS play through because they are reacting to the fan feedback with contempt for the fan feedback.

same reason Iike the DS3 play through, where Pat just kept getting big.

haendeul

I thought the latest episode was hilarious. It's very much a Dark Souls experience, where you'll get stuck on this shitty little thing, that's not even that hard. I bet a lot of people here have had similar experiences.

I like the DS playthrough in general, even though there are some things that will annoy me as well. Woolie's horrible navigational skills, the shitty spear, the refusal to use two-handing, etc. And the over-reliance on Z-targeting that have screwed him up in several fights with larger enemies (gargoyles, undead dragon). These are things that will annoy me because I know this game so well. As long as I can overlook it, it's an enjoyable LP.

Edit: The most baffling thing for me so far in this LP have been when Pat heavily steered him to walk back up from Blighttown instead of fighting Kellog's immediately as is the normal progression.

Unrelated question to the Best Friends, but is anyone else here getting Mass Effect Andromeda, and if so on the ps4?
Sorry, I'm getting it on PC.

I hope they just stick to a Machinima video for this one, because a double blind Mass Effect LP before save editors are available to cheat on resources would be a killer... especially if they aren't done with Dark Souls either.

I hope they just stick to a Machinima video for this one, because a double blind Mass Effect LP before save editors are available to cheat on resources would be a killer... especially if they aren't done with Dark Souls either.
Alright, that's cool.

I agree with you that a one off would be better than an LP, if anything at all. Andromeda doesn't strike me as a game that would work well as a double blind LP.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Im pretty sure i caj only afford two new games right now and they are neir and Horizon. Horizon by the way is amazing. Everyone should go get it. I am really excited to see the video they put out. I hope they put in the time to get to the cool stuff (who am i kidding, they wont).

Anung

Un Rama
I managed to pick up Gravity Rush 2 for an actual reasonable price. Most places want 45+ and amazon wanted 88 quid which is lunacy. Also got Horizon :D not played much though.

Im pretty sure i caj only afford two new games right now and they are neir and Horizon. Horizon by the way is amazing. Everyone should go get it. I am really excited to see the video they put out. I hope they put in the time to get to the cool stuff (who am i kidding, they wont).
Glad to hear Horizon is great, I haven't been keeping up with it. Too bad I'm going to be broke after Andromeda, Persona, and maybe Automata if I can fit it into my budget. I'll probably pick it up in a few months after I save up some cash.

Matsukaze

I honestly don't know how I'm going to balance my gaming time between Nioh, Horizon, Nier Automata, and MEA in the upcoming weeks.

Because no matter what happens, the day Persona 5 drops, all other games are getting shelved without hesitation. So I need to make this time count and I know I'm stuck lol.

Numb

I honestly don't know how I'm going to balance my gaming time between Nioh, Horizon, Nier Automata, and MEA in the upcoming weeks.

Because no matter what happens, the day Persona 5 drops, all other games are getting shelved without hesitation. So I need to make this time count and I know I'm stuck lol.

I'm the same but with Tekken 7
Thank god it's in June tho

ArjanN

I really don't understand the criticism about the slow pacing of DS1. It's all over youtube and I've seen some here, too. I don't get what people want honestly. They keep saying "progress! progress!" but this isn't a walkthrough of the game, this is a "let's play". Moments like Woolie kept getting stuck in those stairs are why I'm watching these things and I thought people liked those moments.

The bad part is that every time Woolie dies quickly after another death, he just gets bummed out, sounds demoralized and I think part of the reason for that is he thinks they're doing this LP for nothing and people are gonna get mad at him for that. Maybe I'm wrong about this but he needs to stop caring about the "slow souls" whiners and just play it to his heart's content.

I've seen similar fan comments on other channels as well. Why would someone spent their time watching these if they despise it sooo much?

The whole slow Souls thing is mostly just a stupid meme because people on youtube have no patience and just want them to get to the fireworks factory, Really the only way to go faster for someone playing this blind like Woolie is by ignoring stuff and not fully exploring areas which is clearly not how they want to play these games.

Edzi

The whole slow Souls thing is mostly just a stupid meme because people on youtube have no patience and just want them to get to the fireworks factory, Really the only way to go faster for someone playing this blind like Woolie is by ignoring stuff and not fully exploring areas which is clearly not how they want to play these games.

The question is, why are they LPing it at all? It's been FOUR games, they know exactly how toxic the online Souls fanbase is, yet they insist on LPing them when it's clear that they'd both prefer to play them their own way on their own time. Pat was complaining just a couple days ago about how much it sucks and how he'll never be doing another Souls LP again, but that doesn't mean a whole lot when they've already done the entire series for some reason. They don't like it, the audience doesn't like it, so who are they even doing it for at this point?

I'm in the same spot. Once Persona 5 comes out, everything else is going on the back burner.

They have something better than a save editor: a video editor.

From now on Pat's obsessive grinding and Woolie's pointless detours will (mostly) get cut. There were just significant questions about what to cut from Dark Souls (particularly The Painted World) because getting lost and dying due to falling off a cliff while rolling away from some scrub-ass nothing enemy is what some people consider to be the essential experience of the game.

I'm sure there are some killjoys who would say Planet Scanning is "the Mass Effect experience", but I have faith in our Lord and Savior the Editor to correctly judge it to be a bunch of chaff and cut it in favor of a 100% Renegade Dialogue Choices edit.

Archgan

The question is, why are they LPing it at all? It's been FOUR games, they know exactly how toxic the online Souls fanbase is, yet they insist on LPing them when it's clear that they'd both prefer to play them their own way on their own time. Pat was complaining just a couple days ago about how much it sucks and how he'll never be doing another Souls LP again, but that doesn't mean a whole lot when they've already done the entire series for some reason. They don't like it, the audience doesn't like it, so who are they even doing it for at this point?
You say the audience doesn't like it but (not including the most recent episode) the like ratio for at least the past 3-4 episodes is around 95% and the videos are getting close to the most amount of views on the channel. Even for this most recent episode, the like ratio is a still little more than 75%. Just because there's a vocal part of the audience that doesn't like it doesn't mean the audience doesn't like it.

They have something better than a save editor: a video editor.
Nah, a save editor means they don't have to actually grind and have Billy cut it out, which is a win-win all around.

Plus save editing would let them get the game done faster since they could focus on the gameplay/story, instead of wasting time on grinding.

Just watched the THUG video. My God, Woolie is hilariously bad at it. I love it.

Haven't posted here in a loooong time. Hello again!

Strimei

I'm catching up on the podcast and you know, they should have a rule that if the guest has keyboard is fucking loud, either get one that isn't or don't fucking search shit while you're podcasting.

Memory serves Laura Kate Dale had one (I think), and Austin this week did. Its really fucking annoying to hear CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICLCKCK.

driggonny

Banned
I just saw the latest Dark Souls episode and I can't fathom people not liking it. I was laughing my ass off at Woolie's salt and incompetence.

KRaZyAmmo

what the fuck is up with this story progression?! it's moving so fast, why is eric in a burning car, why is little woolie still driving, why is eric doing drugs?!

Currently watching THUG. Why the fuck did Eric burn a fucking car

Soon you will know the true villain known as Eric Sparrow.

Edit: I'm now watching part 2 of THUG. I'm trying hard to not be a dick about it but I don't think I've ever seen someone fail the 'get on the roof' mission. I think Woolie needs some alone time with this game.

Numb

Need Rising super star Liam to guest host next podcast for Zelda
Matt can come and guest too but he is hard to get a hold of

Fat4all

Banned
This DS playthrough keeps giving me major flashbacks to the DS2 playthrough with the way Woolie plays. This painted world cluster of parts kept giving me flashes of him going through Dragon Shrine back in the day.

driggonny

Banned
This DS playthrough keeps giving me major flashbacks to the DS2 playthrough with the way Woolie plays. This painted world cluster of parts kept giving me flashes of him going through Dragon Shrine back in the day.

The DS2 LP was my first experience with the Soul's series and I wasn't bothered at all back then.

Funny how things change. :p

Suplexer

Did Pat finish FFXV on stream? I'd like to watch his reaction to the third act of the game.

Has he spoken on whether or not he did any NG+ stuff?

Top Bottom