• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 10: Frienders Support Straight Shota

Yep. She also has quite a wild personality ;)

It's great because it could be pat..

Berserk has some amazing fanservice too.
Yes.
True, Berserk has amazing fanservice..but Claymore has fanservice..it really isn't that great.

Im guessing you never finished their S.Link huh?

I didn't..couldn't get into it honestly.
It's a canon female.

She gives birth to cubs.
Good to know, now I know all that money to refill my SP goes to child support.
Poor cubs won't ever know who their daddy is :(

Beloved

No it doesn't. Nudity =/= Fanservice. It's only fanservice if it's meant to give you a boner.

That is an important distinction because there is nothing inherently sexual about someone being naked (we all take showers/baths, change clothes, etc), so showing a character nude without sexualizing the scene is not fanservice, it's just showing normal every day activities, but if the movie/book/show/anime goes out of its way to focus on certain parts of the body, then its fanservice.

Like the difference between a scene having the camera angle pointed down from the ceiling into a bathroom and showing a character emerging from the shower naked and then wrapping themselves in a towel = not fanservice

Showing a character emerging from the shower naked from a close angle pointing upwards so it pans up their body (or vice versa, panning down), IS fanservice.

I dont know why I felt the need to type all this up but its just one of those things I tend to notice and some people dont grasp the distinction between showing nudity and sexualizing a character with no relevant context or purpose other than to arouse the viewer.

Yep. I read a little claymore and the art is also not quite as well as berserk.
I watched anime a long time ago when I actually thought Netflix was needed.

It was alright, I loved the OP song but after reading the manga it skips quite a lot. The pacing was really off, started out well and then just cut out more and more.

croten

That is an important distinction because there is nothing inherently sexual about someone being naked (we all take showers/baths, change clothes, etc), so showing a character nude without sexualizing the scene is not fanservice, it's just showing normal every day activities, but if the movie/book/show/anime goes out of its way to focus on certain parts of the body, then its fanservice.

Like the difference between a scene having the camera angle pointed down from the ceiling into a bathroom and showing a character emerging from the shower naked and then wrapping themselves in a towel = not fanservice

Showing a character emerging from the shower naked from a close angle pointing upwards so it pans up their body (or vice versa, panning down), IS fanservice.

I dont know why I felt the need to type all this up but its just one of those things I tend to notice and some people dont grasp the distinction between showing nudity and sexualizing a character with no relevant context or purpose other than to arouse the viewer.

Well there is sexual themes in Berserk, the difference is that it's rarely to arouse people and more to evoke strong emotions, such as deep, deep hate.
Fuck Griffith
No he shouldn't, unless he wants to feel the burn of something so good never getting an ending.

Good morning everyone! Woke up later than usual, which is a bad trend :/

Good night, I'm going to pass out now.

Zenfalcia

Well, we did have the same discussion before and it's a good differenciation to make sure people know.
No he shouldn't, unless he wants to feel the burn of something so good never getting an ending.

Good morning everyone! Woke up later than usual, which is a bad trend :/

Guts D berserkman will surely get to the grand line and get the one piece to become king of the pirates! It'll happen soon!

Good morning.

Xiraiya

I definitely agree. Personally, unless it's under certain contexts, I don't really appreciate fan service in my anime, it serves no purpose and it just cheapens a series for no good reason.

Jman014

Flying eyeballs are the epitome of eroticism

Npc_4.gif

Beloved

Well there is sexual themes in Berserk, the difference is that it's rarely to arouse people and more to evoke strong emotions, such as deep, deep hate.
Fuck Griffith

Oh yeah I know, I wasn't referring to Berserk specifically. I just went on a tangent about fanservice in general xD

I like fanservice to a certain degree when it makes sense but when a series is 90% fanservice and lacks any real depth, I wont bother with it.

mike0dude

Remember kids, Don't shit in the sink unless your made sure it was nice a clogged before hand, wouldn't want to leave marks on the sink.
be careful of splash back tho.

Zenfalcia

I watched anime a long time ago when I actually thought Netflix was needed.

It was alright, I loved the OP song but after reading the manga it skips quite a lot. The pacing was really off, started out well and then just cut out more and more.

Shame. So manga > anime just like berserk?

Alfebit

Banned
Hey Alf, do you know anything about making avatars? I think I want to change it to one of these Korra chibis but idk how to do the thing. Got these from one of the co-creators' tumblr blog.

Hey sorry I was busy when you posted that, but it looks like Tako was kind enough to do it for you. Those chibi Korras are adorable.

360pages

I don't mind Fanservice either. As long as the series move forwards and it's not there every EP or Chapter, then it's nothing to really worry about.

Space ballet giant robot fights don't do it for me, but when it's Big O style superheavy giant robots? Oh yeah, baby.
GaoGaiGar's got some fucking amazing knock out brawl fights. That last episode of the OVA series in particular has one of my favorite curb stomping moments in anything ever, it's so good.

demidar

Well, we did have the same discussion before and it's a good differenciation to make sure people know.

Guts D berserkman will surely get to yhe grand line and get the one piece to become king of the pirates! It'll happen soon!

Good morning.

Now I'm just thinking of a MMD of a One Piece opening, except Luffy is replaced with Guts (and everyone else is the same).

Oh yeah I know, I wasn't referring to Berserk specifically. I just went on a tangent about fanservice in general xD

I like fanservice to a certain degree when it makes sense but when a series is 90% fanservice and lacks any real depth, I wont bother with it.

There's non-sexual fanservice too, like all of Smash Bros., but I guess that's not the topic of your tangent. I do agree though, excessive fanservice can turn me off very quickly. But only if it like, comes in infrequent peaks/spikes so I'd be fine with something like Senran Kagura.

Xiraiya

I do agree though, excessive fanservice can turn me off very quickly. But only if it like, comes in infrequent peaks/spikes so I'd be fine with something like Senran Kagura.

Hahaha, oh boy.

So on a scale of 1 to Bible Black, what do you define as too much fan service then?

Especially if they reference old mecha animes?

It's totally accurate, don't lie.
Alright, I confess, every time the robot's special attack is used, I get a boner.

I also shout the attack names alongside the characters on screen and even sing the opening theme for the show. I'm a huge fucking dork. Plus I have this same problem whenever I watch tokusatsu shit, where I'll say the names and imitate the poses as well. Wonderful 101 brought it out of me as well.

Beloved

There's non-sexual fanservice too, like all of Smash Bros., but I guess that's not the topic of your tangent. I do agree though, excessive fanservice can turn me off very quickly. But only if it like, comes in infrequent peaks/spikes so I'd be fine with something like Senran Kagura.

Senran Kagura looks so generic in style that I have zero interest in it regardless of fanservice.

If I'm going to watch something with fanservice, its going to be something on par with the Monogatari series.

Xiraiya

Basically it comes down to this, there is a time and a place for fan service,
and it is not what 90% of people think it is

demidar

Hahaha, oh boy.

So on a scale of 1 to Bible Black, what do you define as too much fan service then?

Hmm, let's say a bit further than Kill la Kill? The more serious a series, the less I'll tolerate fanservice so it's a variable threshold.

Also panty shots of underaged-looking characters. That's no good.

Zenfalcia

Alright, I confess, every time the robot's special attack is used, I get a boner.

I also shout the attack names alongside the characters on screen and even sing the opening theme for the show. I'm a huge fucking dork. Plus I have this same problem whenever I watch tokusatsu shit, where I'll say the names and imitate the poses as well. Wonderful 101 brought it out of me as well.

You must be fun to watch anime with. Huge nerd yelling out hype moves.

Top Bottom