• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 10: Frienders Support Straight Shota

Xiraiya

Hmm, let's say a bit further than Kill la Kill? The more serious a series, the less I'll tolerate fanservice so it's a variable threshold.
Also panty shots of underaged-looking characters. That's no good.

But... Kill La Kill is a shonen type series about highschool girls getting more naked as they get more powerful?

Well, the story isn't too bad either from the little i've read.

Well.. yeah..
Give it a shot it's pretty decent.

Senran Kagura looks so generic in style that I have zero interest in it regardless of fanservice.

If I'm going to watch something with fanservice, its going to be something on par with the Monogatari series.
You guys got me super fucking hype for Senran Kagura..watched one episode..nope..

Has anyone noticed how tonally similar Berserk and Claymore is?
Well yeah, I think Claymore gets put up against Berserk quite a bit. I actually watched Claymore first and really really liked it, and then watched the 90s Berserk anime and then read Berserk. I've heard the Claymore manga has a very different last 3+ episodes.

Comparing the shows isn't that meaningful, since their similar elements and tone don't mean that the setups are pretty different. That said, Berserk is the best thing ever, and Claymore is pretty good. They're both worth watching,
You guys got me super fucking hype for Senran Kagura..watched one episode..nope..
I understand the anime is mediocre and the games are good.

Beloved

Would are your thoughts on the fanservice in KLK?

I haven't watched it, and the fanservice aspect it partly why.

But if I thought I would probably really enjoy the series despite that, I'd watch it anyway, but any clips I've seen from it just make me go *shrug*

Just not my thing I don't think.

demidar

But... Kill La Kill is a shonen type series about highschool girls getting more naked as they get more powerful?

I'm actually having a hard time thinking of a good example... :/

Kill la Kill is the only recent example I can think of, but I was fine with it (after a few episodes), enough to finish the series (I think the show is only okay).

Fanservice does not bother me in the slightest, but in a serious show, I expect very little of it in the first place. Since all the anime I watch with the slightest hint of enjoyment that aren't dramas are slice of life, I have become immune.

Also, I never really cared in the first place.

Saw this on the KLK subreddit

v11rMIN.jpg

Made me laugh

Tonally inappropriate fan service is the worst. My biggest problem with Nisemonogatari is that it feels like some of the creepy stuff that was done half a joke, half as fanservice in Bake, became more outright ecchi. That said, it's Monogatari and it basically just rolls with it, and most are still in the context of jokes.

360pages

Yeah, the tone of the series is important.

If it's something that is trying to take itself seriously then it probably shouldn't be there.

However, in a series like say One Piece, Kill La Kill and others, where a large portion of it is just adventures cool action scenes it's fine.

There's a 3ds game, but it's not as good.

Burst is on 3DS. Shinovi Versus is on Vita. The new one is going to be on PS4. Don't bother with Burst. It's got bad framerate and uninteresting combat.
one brawler and one rhythm game are on Vita. 3DS has one as well and the next one Senran Kagura: Estival Versus is slated for PS4 and Vita

3DS and Vita, and soon, the PS4
My reasons to buy a PS4 just keep adding up.

Reasons to buy an Xbone:

Killer Instinct......??

Yeah, the tone of the series is important.

If it's something that is trying to take itself seriously then it probably shouldn't be there.

However, in a series like say One Piece, Kill La Kill and others, where a large portion of it is just adventures cool action scenes it's fine.
Towards the end of KLK when it starts taking itself more seriously I was really wishing it didn't have the stripper outfits.

360pages

I have to disagree. What did the insane amount of close-ups on Ryuko's breasts, butt and crotch in almost every episode add to the show?

Nothing, but I legit don't think it made it worse. If it's a dumb action, with some themes in it, I legit can't see how it could ruin the credibility of the series. Of course Kill La Kill probably should have kept its more silly nature though to the end though.

If it was a super serious series than yeah, but Fanservice can't really ruin the plot when the plot is naturally silly anyway.

one brawler and one rhythm game are on Vita. 3DS has one as well and the next one Senran Kagura: Estival Versus is slated for PS4 and Vita

3DS and Vita, and soon, the PS4

EDIT: Fuck I keep forgetting I changed my avatar and I don't recognize myself sometimes

Killer Instinct is legit and you forgot D4.

I know KI is legit, but not legit enough for me to buy an Xbone just for that.

I watched the LP of D4..that was enough for me.

Zenfalcia

Tonally inappropriate fan service is the worst. My biggest problem with Nisemonogatari is that it feels like some of the creepy stuff that was done half a joke, half as fanservice in Bake, became more outright ecchi. That said, it's Monogatari and it basically just rolls with it, and most are still in the context of jokes.

Especially when it's forced. It also depends on the context, i suppose.
Fanservice in Ippo is great

Truly amazing.

And I am sure someone will say
"The viewer stops focusing on the nudity, as does Ryuko. That implies maturity and acceptance. The same thing happens with the camera shots as well as they stop focusing on titillation! It's a masterfully written anime!"

I still feel like the show is not intended to be completely serious. A lot of it is purposefully stupid. Its not mature in the fucking slightest. The camera just stopped fetishising the outfits as much

The story involves clothes who were created by aliens to eventually devour humanity and the resistance is called Nudist Beach.

Kill La Kill is mostly well-executed stupidity. And I fucking love it.

The -gatari series from what I saw seemed like it was trying to be a lot more clever than it really is just to justify the fan service it can have at times.

However I only watched like the first 6 episodes so I have no idea where it goes from there.

Zenfalcia

The -gatari series from what I saw seemed like it was trying to be a lot more clever than it really is just to justify the fan service it can have at times.

However I only watched like the first 6 episodes so I have no idea where it goes from there.

You should watch more. It's a fun series.

It is certainly not intended to be taken seriously. My only point is that the fanservice in that show is a waste of time.

I saw that Kadakowa had some part in the show (publisher most likely) and they probably wanted there to be fanservice.

I agree it is pointless
and the justification by the show is flimsy

First 6 episodes of Bake? Yeah. That one character is harassed like that for a reason, and while you can tell they're going for the best of both worlds, it does feel more like a joke than real fanservice.

The ecchi stuff isn't why I liked Monogatari though. They're good.

Now Ps4 has some reasons to buy it piling up. But for the longest time it was my Bloodbourne box.

I wasn't interested in either console until PSX came around and Sony gave us the business and just smacked our faces with it.

Bloodborne wasn't enough for me to buy a new console I would of just stuck with DaS.

demidar

I still feel like the show is not intended to be completely serious. A lot of it is purposefully stupid. Its not mature in the fucking slightest. The camera just stopped fetishising the outfits as much

The story involves clothes who were created by aliens to eventually devour humanity and the resistance is called Nudist Beach.

Kill La Kill is mostly well-executed stupidity. And I fucking love it.

I do not agree. Just because they intended it does not make it good. It's like how parodies fall into the same trap of doing the bad things of what they are parodying. This does not mean that ALL attempts at being intentionally stupid don't work, but that intentionally doing it doesn't automatically grant you a pass, you still need to execute damn well, and I don't think KlK did it well enough.

Edit: I'm only speaking about the fanservice part.

Top Bottom