• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 10: Frienders Support Straight Shota

360pages

I'm sure Oberon would love the show =P.

I understand your point, though I view it as a different kind of silliness. KLK is certainly stupid and silly, but the constant fanservice did not actually add to that. It just provided a different kind of content outside of its main focus (which is being crazy and having cool fights). I do not mind the characters being clothed the way they are so much due to the point the show makes, but the zoom-ins add nothing to it. It certainly hurts the show way less than it would hurt a more serious episode, but I would personally still say that the fanservice slightly harms the show simply by being completely unnecessary and existing.

It is certainly not intended to be taken seriously. My only point is that the fanservice in that show is a waste of time.

To be fair, a lot of things in Kill La Kill is a waste of time, we tend to use waste of time as a negative. I don't think it was needed, on the flip I don't think it hurts the series in anyway.

Though I guess it's really a matter of opinion.

I do not agree. Just because they intended it does not make it good. It's like how parodies fall into the same trap of doing the bad things of what they are parodying. This does not mean that ALL attempts at being intentionally stupid don't work, but that intentionally doing it doesn't automatically grant you a pass, you still need to execute damn well, and I don't think KlK did it well enough.
KLK walks this line of parody and taking itself seriously that you can tell was written in a hurry. Changing the direction of the show during production being the main cause.

Beloved

The -gatari series from what I saw seemed like it was trying to be a lot more clever than it really is just to justify the fan service it can have at times.

However I only watched like the first 6 episodes so I have no idea where it goes from there.

Monogatari has blatant fanservice at times but its also got cleverly written dialogue and a lot of depth (not to mention fantastic animation).

Having said that, I don't think you'd like it so that's why I've never pushed you to watch it.

Zenfalcia

Monogatari has blatant fanservice at times but its also got cleverly written dialogue and a lot of depth (not to mention fantastic animation).

Having said that, I don't think you'd like it so that's why I've never pushed you to watch it.

They made toothbrushing more interesting than it ever should be.

demidar

KLK walks this line of parody and taking itself seriously that you can tell was written in a hurry. Changing the direction of the show during production being the main cause.

I've heard stories that the, er, story, wasn't even finalized before they started pushing out episodes, leading to them literally make it up as they go along.

If the show was more like the second half in tone it would be a lot better.

Is it bad I have borderline Zero interest in Monster? Perhaps Eva really killed my interest in those kind of series.
Nothing like Eva or Madoka. It's more straight drama.
I've heard stories that the, er, story, wasn't even finalized before they started pushing out episodes, leading to them literally make it up as they go along.

If the show was more like the second half in tone it would be a lot better.
Basically. I thought the beginning of the show handled it better though, when it still felt like parody.

Xiraiya

It was written far better than something like that should have been.

So for that, I respect it.

Relationship goals

I powered through 26 episodes of HxH before it got good. I can handle a long wait if the payoff is good enough.

The -gatari series from what I saw seemed like it was trying to be a lot more clever than it really is just to justify the fan service it can have at times.

However I only watched like the first 6 episodes so I have no idea where it goes from there.

Watch Katanagatari. It's better than the whole monogatari franchise.

Zenfalcia

You're not wrong xD

Speaking of, I read that entire Oral Hygeine Brother story from 4chan..

I regret nothing

there are some other scenes like tons and tons of red books or more obvious ones like shower scenes... ;)

Me too.. holy damn it was long.. it went places too..

It was written far better than something like that should have been.

So for that, I respect it.

Relationship goals

So, brushing each others teeth?

Xiraiya

there are some other scenes like tons and tons of red books or more obvious ones like shower scenes... ;)
Me too.. holy damn it was long.. it went places too..

Beloved and I are caught up completely with the series and even the ova.

The alternate future episode is still my favorite of that entire series

Beloved

I powered through 26 episodes of HxH before it got good. I can handle a long wait if the payoff is good enough.

Well, I feel like Monogatari either gets you interested from the beginning or it doesn't, I'm not sure there's really a "tipping point". There are hype moments that stand out sure, but a lot of the focus throughout the series is on Araragi's personal relationships and there is a CRAP ton of dialogue (which is also often fast paced), with supernatural elements that connect it all together.

Since you only watched like 5-6 eps, maybe try watching all of Bakamonogatari at least because if you dont really care for it at that point then its just not for you.

Zenfalcia

Beloved and I are caught up completely with the series and even the ova.

The alternate future episode is still my favorite of that entire series

Even the newest one out? Um.. i forget the name.

Having grown up Mayoi was nice. What in particularly did you like about it?

There's not really any payoff other than the change in tone from Bake to Nise. It's just the small arcs focused on each character with Araragi.

If you want an overarching story I've heard way more praise for Katanagatari. I need to watch it myself soon.

Xiraiya

So, brushing each others teeth?
tumblr_m23zgv6dAc1rslcoko1_500.gif

Even the newest one out? Um.. i forget the name.
Having grown up Mayoi was nice. What in particularly did you like about it?
Mainly the Shinobu stuff and the fact the world ended because she had lost Araragi and couldn't fathom how she could end up by his side in another timeline and what she missed out on.

There's not really any payoff other than the change in tone from Bake to Nise. It's just the small arcs focused on each character with Araragi.

If you want an overarching story I've heard way more praise for Katanagatari. I need to watch it myself soon.

Ugh... I might have to try HxH. I need a new anime.
Hey guys, I love Bebop, Trigun, Full Metal, One Piece, AoT, Berserk, Ippo, and Champloo.
Quick, recommend me something!

Beloved

Hey guys, I love Bebop, Trigun, Full Metal, One Piece, AoT, Berserk, Ippo, and Champloo.

Considering what you've listed, you'd probably enjoy Baccano.

HxH is a good bet as well.

Edit: Also yes, watch Jojo.

demidar

HxH.

I should check out the Monogatari series one of these days. This chatter has me interested.

Zenfalcia

Mainly the Shinobu stuff and the fact the world ended because she had lost Araragi and couldn't fathom how she could end up by his side in another timeline and what she missed out on.

It was quite a good what if scenerio and such a sudden change in pace. It was also
a good transition when they tried to save mayoi instead of just ending the arc and jumping to a new one.

Here's a joke for you.

Why is Jaime Lannister known for being such a good poker player?

Punchline:
He's only every lost one hand

10/10 laughing so hard i fall out a window.

Beloved

The mere idea I'm going to have to watch over 10 hours of content before it gets good is kinda putting me off. Least give me one other choice please.

I enjoyed it from the beginning, its just a slow burn at first. I wasnt put off by it, the early eps are still enjoyable, the hype train just takes longer to get going.

Other suggestions:

Durarara
Psyho-Pass
Gintama
Steins;Gate

Top Bottom