• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 10: Frienders Support Straight Shota

360pages

You guys need to play RPG's that make you think for longer than 30secs.

Like the Etrian Odyssey series, EO3 is easily the best in the series. And EO4 for those super casual players that need things like world maps...

Xiraiya

You played Persona, that's turn based and it's terrible
Persona combat is fine, easy, but fine.

The biggest complaint is their usual idea for Dungeons not being very fun, but Tartarus seems better than the drawn out absurdity that is everyone's personal dungeon in P4.

Anung

Un Rama
I put these in an Eva thread in the OT but I figured you guys might enjoy them as well. A few pics from Eva World.

IMG_4075_zpsd91b4258.jpg

IMG_4079_zpsd5342f00.jpg

IMG_4083_zps7e56edc2.jpg

IMG_4080_zpsac4ed94b.jpg

IMG_4057_zpsfe35c059.jpg

croten

Maybe I got other shit I need to play. Like I still need to finish witcher 2 and I got burnt out after my save got deleted.

And I have been feeling to play human revoultion again.

Chrono Trigger is an all time classic, I would recommend it for everyone. Heck I'm replaying it now

Maybe I got other shit I need to play. Like I still need to finish witcher 2 and I got burnt out after my save got deleted.

I just can't get into Witcher 2. I tried twice, and I just started playing other games instead both times. What's special about this series that I'm missing?

360pages

I'm still wondering how people can say SMT IV combat system is anything above passable. There is no defense stat. Someone looked at the game and said that they needed to remove a stat that has been in every other RPG ever.

There is a reason why it was there!

Every single fight turns into the same thing. Normal fights you just kill everyone an boss fights you debuff them twice and hit their weakness until dead.

I'm still wondering how people can say SMT IV combat system is anything above passable. There is no defense stat. Someone looked at the game and said that they needed to remove a stat that has been in every other RPG ever.

Every single fight turns into the same thing. Normal fights you just kill everyone an boss fights you debuff them twice and hit their weakness until dead.

SMT4 has amazing combat. Who cares about the defense stat. You know what defend is? Kill the demon before it kills you and use buffs.

JRPG turn based combat 99% of the time is boring from how repetitive it gets. Make the battles go faster and/or make them extremely high tension to allieviate this, which SMT4 does in spades.

Have you not played any other MegaTen game besides that one? Besides the lack of a defense stat, everything else about its gameplay is why I give a shit about it compared to other JRPGs. Nocturne and both DDS games kick ass because of the Press Turn system.

Jman014

I just can't get into Witcher 2. I tried twice, and I just started playing other games instead both times. What's special about this series that I'm missing?

It's mostly the dialog and story. Like I said I've seen the intro like 5 times now and everytime I love the dialog. I just really don't like the gameplay.

Yeah I personally liked it more than Mass Effect, and I like Mass Effect.

October 4th? That is so far away.

Screw the illogical date format

Maybe it is because I'm biased
Europe
, but I don't think SMTIV is that great. It has a cool setting and all but it just kinda sucks. It is a 7/10 sucks, not a 4/10 but there are better Megaten RPGs.

croten

Why do you need a defense stat? Really it only pads out fights.

360pages

SMT4 has amazing combat. Who cares about the defense stat. You know what defend is? Kill the demon before it kills you and use buffs.

JRPG turn based combat 99% of the time is boring from how repetitive it gets. Make the battles go faster and/or make them extremely high tension to allieviate this, which SMT4 does in spades.

No, it's just faster with doing the same thing that every other JRPG does. At the Start of the game anything destroys you and by the end of the game you are walking though everything.

There is no real curve in SMT IV. The game gets either easy or hard, no moderate challenge.

I legit, think the gameplay in Persona Q is probably more balanced even if it I easier. Same with the EO series.

You rarely have to change your strategy depending on the boss. Making most of the bosses feel samey.

demidar

No, it's just faster with doing the same thing that every other JRPG does. At the Start of the game anything destroys you and by the end of the game you are walking though everything.

There is no real curve in SMT IV. The game gets either easy or hard, no moderate challenge.

I legit, think the gameplay in Persona Q is probably more balanced even if it I easier. Same with the EO series.

You rarely have to change your strategy depending on the boss. Making most of the bosses feel samey.

In terms of strictly turn-based JRPGs (meaning no ATB, no hybrids like Valkyrie Profile, no active time component like those Mario & Luigi games), Bravely Default has an amazing combat system. Maybe FF10 as well, but I never devoted as much time in to that game as I intended to.

SMT games don't have much depth to their actual combat. Most battles its kill before being killed, but it fits in the tone of the games so well, that I honestly wouldn't have it any other way.

And its a thing all SMT games does, but I feel its almost intentionally made that way. You start off with shitty demons with everything wiping you off the face of the map, when you start fusing these kick ass demons and start running train on EVERYTHING, it makes you feel like a God. Its gameplay and narrative fit so well with each other that I can't fault it for not being the deepest combat system on the planet, but passable? Smh. Just because everything isn't etrian odyssey, doesn't make it passable. Would that make something like Final Fantasy 4/6/7/9/10/12/etc just the most complete garbage thing you've ever seen? Becuase those games have average combat in comparison to SMT 4. Or is a defend option really the difference between being good and bad, which is an extremely one sighted opinion to have about the genre that wasn't designed to be like that.

SMT isn't all about strategy, that's not how the games are designed. And even then, there is still some strategy to the boss fights. You can't compare this game to EO because they're nothing alike except for the first person combat style.

Top Bottom