• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 10: Frienders Support Straight Shota

360pages

That's not just every SMT game, but almost every RPG.

Are you gonna say now that every SMT game has mediocre combat for an RPG? Because that's a fight I'll take with me to my grave.

Also, the game does become easier once you make it to the new area. But does the game become easy??? Hell no, not compared to 90% of JRPGs. You will still get ambushed and killed in one turn by enemies. You will still die, just not as much as before you get to the new area. You make it seem like after you make it to the new area, you can basically close your eyes and mash A till you win the game. There's nothing wrong with SMT 4's combat, especially when you look over to Persona 4 and see that combat system.

Seriously, of all the things wrong with SMT4, you choose to complain about the best part of the game.

Being ambushed and one shotted in tight corridors on a map isn't really a legitimate challenge.

Also SMTIV is a very flawed game, combat is fast and that's it. The press turn System is fine, just not witn the changes that SMTIV made with the stats, the smirk system ect.

Magic Demons become useless or at least not as good due to their low HP pool due to how high damage the game can be. Something I know the creators didn't plan for.

You can easily compare different RPG's combat however. Just because a game was designed to be that way doesn't make it automatically above criticism. There are plenty of questionable designed choices.

Also, most games are made to have some type of curve in it, even if they aren't always successful. I doubt the developers legit wanted to game to get easier as it went on. Or at least not at the speed that once you reach Tokyo the game difficulty is nearly slashed.

There are a lot of things I enjoy in SMT IV. The combat isn't even awful, or bad. But I can't say it's much better simply because it's different. Considering all end game bosses end up either being hit its weakness after debuffs or physical and almighty attacks.

Being ambushed and one shotted in tight corridors on a map isn't really a legitimate challenge.

Also SMTIV is a very flawed game, combat is fast and that's it. The press turn System is fine, just not witn the changes that SMTIV made with the stats, the smirk system ect.

Magic Demons become useless or at least not as good due to their low HP pool due to how high damage the game can be. Something I know the creators didn't plan for.

And it also seems like you're missing the point about SMT 4's combat as a whole. Its not all about strategy, but mostly about the flexability. At its core, the base combat does revolve around you fusing 3 demons you want with different skills and using them in combat to fight other enemies. And its also about fusing different demons to make your party (and you) even stronger to fight stronger demons.

However, the game takes its chaos/law/neutral morality and implements it in a genius way into the combat. The game rewards you for taking the chaotic route and plowing through the demons. You can also opt to be a pacifist/law (most of the time) by choosing to negotiate with the demons instead and recruiting them or issuing a cease fire. The game still gives you a lot of experience for doing this (almost as much as killing them).

Or you can take the neutral route and kill some while recruiting others (which is the preferred route from a gameplay and narrative standpoint)

It seems like the biggest misconception you have about SMT4 is that the game is all about the chaotic combat itself and the strategy behind killing when there's so much more to the game's combat then just that. That's why I have a hard time comprehending the comparisons to any RPG outside its own series since you can't find that kind of ability in any JRPG, especially Etrian Odysey.

I will repeat again, that the game's actual combat isn't deep. Its very fast paced and about who can kill who first. But that's the chaos route and it fits perfectly in this game. And I personally think game design is much better than just adding depth. There's such a thing as too much and if SMT had EO levels of strategy to its combat, then that's too much.

And there's also nothing wrong with the smirk system. I think its great, especially the fact that its a SMIRK. That's so god damn cool when you think about a demon rampaging so hard that it starts smirking.

And magic is still great in this game, I'm in the blasted part of the game and my magic teammates are still doing great. This game has a better balence between physical and magic demons than something like Persona 4 where phsyical is completely OP.

mrmyhthef

Well, shit. Guess I'll have to play both and see how it feels.

If you have a table in front of where you play, just sit the Gamepad stand on top of that and use the Pro Controller. At least that's how I did it.

Wow what the fuck, why am I so indecisive about games all of a sudden? I generally just pick one and play, but not this time for some reason. Pls halp:
http://strawpoll.me/3355309

F.E.A.R.'s one of the best shooters ever made so I went with that one.

Tako

image.php

It's nice art, I just wanna see where it came from.

Hmm have you tried looking through the shit pile of tumblr?

Yeah...I did really like playing the game. Also, I like how boss battles are either "You got wrecked" or "You wrecked its shit". No in-between.

That's how a lot of battles play out in all honestly. A few bosses later in the game do get higher defense and/or less or no weaknesses and become more of a slugfest than a quick wrecked/be wrecked fight, which helped change the pace up from your typical three turn boss fight.

And I shouldn't have to repost this, but THAT BOSS THEME.

360pages

And it also seems like you're missing the point about SMT 4's combat as a whole. Its not all about strategy, but mostly about the flexability. At its core, the base combat does revolve around you fusing 3 demons you want with different skills and using them in combat to fight other enemies. And its also about fusing different demons to make your party (and you) even stronger to fight stronger demons.

However, the game takes its chaos/law/neutral morality and implements it in a genius way into the combat. The game rewards you for taking the chaotic route and plowing through the demons. You can also opt to be a pacifist/law (most of the time) by choosing to negotiate with the demons instead and recruiting them or issuing a cease fire. The game still gives you a lot of experience for doing this (almost as much as killing them).

Or you can take the neutral route and kill some while recruiting others (which is the preferred route from a gameplay and narrative standpoint)

It seems like the biggest misconception you have about SMT4 is that the game is all about the chaotic combat itself and the strategy behind killing when there's so much more to the game's combat then just that. That's why I have a hard time comprehending the comparisons to any RPG outside its own series since you can't find that kind of ability in any JRPG, especially Etrian Odysey.

I will repeat again, that the game's actual combat isn't deep. Its very fast paced and about who can kill who first. But that's the chaos route and it fits perfectly in this game. And I personally think game design is much better than just adding depth. There's such a thing as too much and if SMT had EO levels of strategy to its combat, then that's too much.

And there's also nothing wrong with the smirk system. I think its great, especially the fact that its a SMIRK. That's so god damn cool when you think about a demon rampaging so hard that it starts smirking.

And magic is still great in this game, I'm in the blasted part of the game and my magic teammates are still doing great. This game has a better balence between physical and magic demons than something like Persona 4 where phsyical is completely OP.
The problem with recruit system is mostly it become obsolete near the mid point of the game where fusion makes far stronger demons.

Also Magic demons can't be used at all against the DLC bosses on hard mode, they will be killed on the first turn.

Actually, the DLC bosses is where most of the problems with the battle system really start to show.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
I'm thinking of buying a gaming PC, but all of them come with windows 8. Can windows 8 run games optimized for windows 7 and lower?

I'm thinking of buying a gaming PC, but all of them come with windows 8. Can windows 8 run games optimized for windows 7 and lower?

Yes and no.

There may be issues with older games (Pre Windows 2000), but for the most part it'll be grand.

The bigger question is if you like Windows 8 or not.

Top Bottom