• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 11: COMP! COMP! COMP! COMP! C-O-M-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

360pages

To be fair, SMTIV had really bad dungeon design, like borderline FF13 levels. Outside the very first dungeon of the game their either random mazes with no map or straight lines baring a few near he end game.

To be fair, SMTIV had really bad dungeon design, like borderline FF13 levels. Outside the very first dungeon of the game their either random mazes with no map or straight lines baring a few near he end game.
I.... Really? I liked the on foot dungeons quite a bit, they're simplistic mazes, sure, but still enjoyable.

Well then you unironically have bad taste. I kid, but the combat in P2 was duuuuuuuull. You just spam fusion spells over and over. Thank god for fast forwar-- I mean, what? Fast forward? Hah, you can't fast forward or anything.
Ehhhh disabling animations for random encounters are still pretty good, too bad I can't do that for bosses. Fusion spells are the best tho. I also fucking love that I can switch from offensive personas to recovery ones without using a turn and it just feels so good.

I thought they were randomly generated. Someone I believe said that.

It plays like they were anyway considering how terrible it kind of is.

I felt the need to do GTL and fist bump in Rise's Dungeon.

That song was addicting though.

giphy.gif

You can't stop me. I'll GTL all day long <3

Love you Jack <3

Ehhhh disabling animations for random encounters are still pretty good, too bad I can't do that for bosses. Fusion spells are the best tho. I also fucking love that I can switch from offensive personas to recovery ones without using a turn and it just feels so good.

I don't think Fusion Spells are lame or anything, but they kind of lost their charm after a while. I think P3 handled fusion spells a little bit better. Hopefully they make a return in P5 along with 3 physical damage types.

360pages

I.... Really? I liked the on foot dungeons quite a bit, they're simplistic mazes, sure, but still enjoyable.

They're visually uninteresting for a game that prides itself on being quick, they are literally waste of time after the first 2...yet the game insist on them being in there every other major boss.

Actually, even he interesting areas feel more like they were made to waste your time rather than keep the pace.

I don't think Fusion Spells are lame or anything, but they kind of lost their charm after a while. I think P3 handled fusion spells a little bit better. Hopefully they make a return in P5 along with 3 physical damage types.
I really think that the different physical damage types would only work if your allies could switch personas. It was a pain in the ass in P3 since most of your teammates didn't learn a variety of physical moves, so that one particular Tartarus boss wouldn't be such a pain. I do have to admit making them super easy to pull off felt repetitive, but solo fusion spells in P3 feels really... out of place. Maybe SP scaling fusion spells along with ally help would make it better?

tl;dr: Ally persona switching should come back.

Man, SMTIV's chaos path is no fun at all.

Right from where it starts
The only cool guy in the game Walter had to die to make the offensively ugly Lucifer demon and Isabeau fought me only to die in the pretty depressing way. Fuck, that girl is way too neutral for her own good. I'm surprised she didn't say "tell me wife I said hello" as she slit her own throat.

3rd Cycle in and going to do Law and respec from a DEX dealing monstah to a MAG dealing monstah. Fuck yeah demons.

360pages

Strangely enough, I just realized that the Disgaea series is built mostly out of gameplay. Everything you do is from a gameplay standpoint.

I'm getting old...and feel like dog shit since this illness isn't going away.

Night Gaf.

I'm gonna go take some nyquil and go into a coma for 14 hours.

Going from P4 to P3 I was like "ohh three types of damage ok, wait isn't this the previous game?". The ability fuse personae into weapons and have more to do with your equipment is super cool. It sucks they just dropped the whole thing.

I really think that the different physical damage types would only work if your allies could switch personas. It was a pain in the ass in P3 since most of your teammates didn't learn a variety of physical moves, so that one particular Tartarus boss wouldn't be such a pain. I do have to admit making them super easy to pull off felt repetitive, but solo fusion spells in P3 feels really... out of place. Maybe SP scaling fusion spells along with ally help would make it better?

I think it worked fine in P3. I never had any issue with it. That one boss was just badly designed. Ally persona switching? meh. I don't have any attachment to it so whether it's in P5 or not makes no difference to me. Also, P5 fusion spells don't have to be solo, I just don't want them to be your main form of attack.

Going from P4 to P3 I was like "ohh three types of damage ok, wait isn't this the previous game?". The ability fuse personae into weapons and have more to do with your equipment is super cool. It sucks they just dropped the whole thing.

One thing they should bring back in P5 is the ability to use any type of weapon.

I like how we all just ignored the new episode. Anyway, more SH2, baby.

Agreed. IMO Persona switching and spell fusions are sorely missed and their replacement with the Once More system is sad, mostly because the once more system is just a broken version of Press Turn. P2 wasn't perfect of course, but I firmly believe there is a happy medium(PQ being a great example).

And yeah, they need to re-learn how to make dungeons, p4 and p3's are the most bland things ever(after 13 of course).

I'm getting old...and feel like dog shit since this illness isn't going away.

Night Gaf.

I'm gonna go take some nyquil and go into a coma for 14 hours.
Must be nice. I took my sleeping and then later some Nyquil and I still woke up every 2 hours until 4:30am where I just said fuck it, I'm up.

Seeing a gun in Silent Hill 2 and watching the combat basically turn into something that more resembles old RE actually has me somewhat relieved.

Also, I can only hope that building a building next to another in such a way that it knocks down the fire escape is only the result of Silent Hill's weird creepy influence making it that way and not someone in that game universe actually thinking it was a smart idea. Though the latter could be hilarious in its own right.

Fuck it, the desire to try this game again is increasing, I need to consult my local anime store or something.

Seeing a gun in Silent Hill 2 and watching the combat basically turn into something that more resembles old RE actually has me somewhat relieved.

Melee is the much, much less reliable, but more long term option. If you're fighting a single monster you treat it like RE and just use the "knife".

Later on
you not only get more guns, but more melee weapons that have vastly better movesets.

360pages

Also, I can only hope that building a building next to another in such a way that it knocks down the fire escape is only the result of Silent Hill's weird creepy influence making it that way and not someone in that game universe actually thinking it was a smart idea. Though the latter could be hilarious in its own right.

Fuck it, the desire to try this game again is increasing, I need to consult my local anime store or something.

You'd be surprised how stupid/Shortsighted people are when they come to building things and areas, even in real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom