• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 11: COMP! COMP! COMP! COMP! C-O-M-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jman014

Probably misses her old glasses

And a good neck.
http://youtu.be/Bml6wnAwM9A
Poor Lita. It was nice to see her return to beat up Heath Slater.
If we're talking about actual addiction to something you don't like it's far cry 2. I think that game sucks but I keep playing it

But doto is the good crack

Lots of nice other crack on PC too...like Dawn of War 2 Retribution! Except I haven't played it recently...

360pages

Everything used to be about local co-op before there was the internet. It's not a practical argument. We're in 2015.

You're suggesting lag is an issue in Mario Party of all games? When we consistently play fighting games that require 1-frame links online? Get serious.

Fighting games are a completely different beast though, you just have to worry about two players on the field. Mario Party there are 4 people, with huge varying mini games with a board with timed dice. You are depending on 4 complete strangers internets being good where the game would simply not work if one of them left unlike say a FPS with 8-16 people.

Not saying online is bad, but only with friends Mario Party will not work with random people over the internet.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Fighting games are a completely different beast though, you just have to worry about two players on the field. Mario Party there are 4 people, with huge varying mini games with a board with timed dice. You are depending on 4 complete strangers internets being good where the game would simply not work if one of them left unlike say a FPS with 8-16 people.

Not saying online is bad, but only with friends Mario Part will not work with random people over the internet.

Smash.

When the game is "who mashes faster" under a time limit and stuff, I can just see where that gets really messy.

I think you guys are really misrepresenting how lag works in these games. In fact, Mario Party would be EASIER in the above example, because each game could locally confirm the number of inputs versus the others, since there's little interaction.

Everything used to be about local co-op before there was the internet. It's not a practical argument. We're in 2015.

You're suggesting lag is an issue in Mario Party of all games? When we consistently play fighting games that require 1-frame links online? Get serious.

I agree that there needs to be online. But I don't think it's just as simple as a multiplayer game of COD or fighting games. There has to be a fix to any kind of situation. Special dice blocks can be strongly hindered by lag among other things. Plus there has to be ways to reconnect if someone DCs. And if it's the host of the game DC's then it's GG to that 2 hour game you were almost done with. And even more online bs you have to account for.

It needs a lot more work than people think in order to happen, but it's something Nintendo should have really at least tried to implement.

360pages

Yeah, and even now Smash still sometimes runs like Shit with 4 people, it's super smooth though for a fighting game with 4 people. But the sheer amount of work and netcode that had to be done to do that probably won't work for Mario Party.

But I'm not against online, just online randoms, because Mario Party is simply not that kind of game you could play using a system designed around 2-10 minute matches for 3 hour game.

Who gives a fuck in Mario Party doesn't have online? it still has that shitty kart system so it's garbage and not worth playing anyway.

Mario Party 9 is the best Mario party since 4. And it's even better than 3. That kart system is amazing for fucking people over on rolls, something that a lot of people playing that game love. And the minigames are less than the older ones, but a lot better

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I agree that there needs to be online. But I don't think it's just as simple as a multiplayer game of COD or fighting games. There has to be a fix to any kind of situation. Special dice blocks can be strongly hindered by lag among other things. Plus there has to be ways to reconnect if someone DCs. And if it's the host of the game DC's then it's GG to that 2 hour game you were almost done with. And even more online bs you have to account for.

It needs a lot more work than people think in order to happen, but it's something Nintendo should have really at least tried to implement.

Mario Party is a party game. The introduction of lag is even less important when the very foundation of your game is the random number generator. It's not competitive. Just drop in a CPU if someone drops out.

Nintendo is already shaky on matchmaking, so they can just do friends only.

Yeah, and even now Smash still sometimes runs like Shit with 4 people, it's super smooth though for a fighting game with 4 people. But the sheer amount of work and netcode that had to be done to do that probably won't work for Mario Party.

But I'm not against online, just online randoms, because Mario Party is simply not that kind of game you could play using a system designed around 2-10 minute matches for 3 hour game.

Why? Why wouldn't it work? Is there a basis for your belief that the netcode wouldn't apply?

360pages

You could just drop a CPU in their spot.

That would ruin it easily, since it pretty much means that rarely will there be a game where all 4 player make it to the end. And unlike smash where you just have to finish the round before a new person jumps in, you have to finish an 1-3 hour game.

Mario Party 9 is the best Mario party since 4. And it's even better than 3. That kart system is amazing for fucking people over on rolls, something that a lot of people playing that game love. And the minigames are less than the older ones, but a lot better
I just want it as an optional mode, not replacing the way I like to play ;~;

It's the worst thing ever and I will never play another single goddamn round of that bullshit.

And saying it's better than 3 is ridiculous. You're a crazy person.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
That would ruin it easily, since it pretty much means that rarely will there be a game where all 4 player make it to the end. And unlike smash where you just have to finish the round before a new person jumps in, you have to finish an 1-3 hour game.

I'm really not seeing a problem. Give the option of randoms and the option of friends. If randoms don't work for you, don't play randoms.

Why rarely? If your friends' connections are shit, then there's no avoiding it, but a lot of people can keep sustained online connections with no problem. Play with those people.

Mario Party is a party game. The introduction of lag is even less important when the very foundation of your game is the random number generator. It's not competitive. Just drop in a CPU if someone drops out.

Except for the slow dice rolls where timing is extremely important. You know Nintendo, aside from smash they don't want to put out a half assed online service. If they can't do online and make it work great like it does for MK, then they won't do it. If I had a laggy game of Mario party for an hour-2 hours, I would not stick around for the rest of that shit. Fighting games it's somewhat tolerable since it's only a two minute match. 2 hours? Fuck that.

I just want it as an optional mode, not replacing the way I like to play ;~;

That series needed change for a long time now. There are 8 other games if you want to play it the way you like

It's the worst thing ever and I will never play another single goddamn round of that bullshit.

And saying it's better than 3 is ridiculous. You're a crazy person.

It's better than 3. Fuck 3. 2 was the only good Mario party on the 64. That duel mode sucked and most of those maps are complete garbage. The minigames were mixed.

360pages

Why? Why wouldn't it work? Is there a basis for your belief that the netcode wouldn't apply?

Because Smash is a fighting game, usually it is taking a connection from all the players. All of it is in real time, there is no shifts in variables outside of stages. The gameplay remains consistent,

Mario Party has a whole slew of Mini games, the gameboard would need it's own system to check. Would it need to recheck each players connection at the start of their turn? Mini Games range from turned based to real time.

Like I said though, it would work perfectly fine for FRIENDS, but not random strangers. Not where anyone could quit at anytime and games can take quite a while.

Except for the slow dice rolls where timing is extremely important. You know Nintendo, aside from smash they don't want to put out a half assed online service. If they can't do online and make it work great like it does for MK, then they won't do it. If I had a laggy game of Mario party for an hour-2 hours, I would not stick around for the rest of that shit. Fighting games it's somewhat tolerable since it's only a two minute match. 2 hours? Fuck that.
I could see them maybe disabling certain minigames and possibly doing client-side timing for things like dice blocks. If they adapt the game to work online, it'd be alright

It's better than 3. Fuck 3. 2 was the only good Mario party on the 64. That duel mode sucked and most of those maps are complete garbage. The minigames were mixed.

RbgYhzI.gif

360pages

I'm really not seeing a problem. Give the option of randoms and the option of friends. If randoms don't work for you, don't play randoms.

Why rarely? If your friends' connections are shit, then there's no avoiding it, but a lot of people can keep sustained online connections with no problem. Play with those people.

Random's would legit be pointless most of the time. 4 strangers with random levels of internet trying to play with one another. If one person drops out then the others have a higher chance of dropping.

With friends, at least I know they most likely won't rage quit and I know the quality of their connection and whether or not I should try. Don't get that option with strangers, even if you do. Finding 4 people with a perfect connection to play could be a nightmare.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I'm just finding it extremely difficult to take seriously the notion that lag is a bigger issue in a game like Mario Party than it is in SFIV, where netcode isn't that great.

Nintendo already has several games that are only online with friends. Just implement that here.

Dice rolls can be done locally rather than server side. Or do it like save states in GGPO. It's really not something unprecedented.

Because Smash is a fighting game, usually it is taking a connection from all the players. All of it is in real time, there is no shifts in variables outside of stages. The gameplay remains consistent,

Mario Party has a whole slew of Mini games, the gameboard would need it's own system to check. Would it need to recheck each players connection at the start of their turn? Mini Games range from turned based to real time.

Like I said though, it would work perfectly fine for FRIENDS, but not random strangers. Not where anyone could quit at anytime and games can take quite a while.

Realtime versus separate turnbased minigames is an irrelevant distinction. There is nothing stopping Mario Party from being handled in real time unless your connection is ass. If your connection is ass, you should be courteous enough to not be playing the game online. Which is again something not exclusive to Mario Party.

Random's would legit be pointless most of the time. 4 strangers with random levels of internet trying to play with one another. If one person drops out then the others have a higher chance of dropping.

With friends, at least I know they most likely won't rage quit and I know the quality of their connection and whether or not I should try. Don't get that option with strangers, even if you do. Finding 4 people with a perfect connection to play could be a nightmare.

Note that I'm advocating online play, not the type of online play. The complete lack of online in Mario Party is an enormous oversight, whether it's exclusive to friends or not.

I could see them maybe disabling certain minigames and possibly doing client-side timing for things like dice blocks. If they adapt the game to work online, it'd be alright

Exactly, It seems like a lot of people don't realize that a decent amount of minigames rely on quick inputs. Mashing A, ground pounds, etc. are all about who can press it better. The game lags r inputs are delayed and that game becomes awful. And having to play laggy games the entire time? It'd be awful. And I honestly don't want to play half a game with minigames disabled. That sounds boring.

On the off chance that every connection is great, it definitely sounds like some great fun. But Mario party is a more demanding game than people would think for online. I'm not excusing Nintendo for not having online in it already. I can just see why they haven't done it.

I'm just finding it extremely difficult to take seriously the notion that lag is a bigger issue in a game like Mario Party than it is in SFIV, where netcode isn't that great.

Nintendo already has several games that are only online with friends. Just implement that here.

Dice rolls can be done locally rather than server side. Or do it like save states in GGPO. It's really not something unprecedented.

It is a bigger issue. Would you play 2 hours of nothing but laggy street fighter? Because that's what a half assed connection of Mario party would be like. Plus the difference between 2 vs 4 people for online games is much greater. That's why smash when it's 1 v 1 will run great almost all the time, while 4 player constantly has some delayed inputs even with good connection.

And like I said, host disconnection would ruin the game. And disconnects happen a lot with online games especially if you've been playing a match for hours.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It is a bigger issue. Would you play 2 hours of nothing but laggy street fighter? Because that's what a half assed connection of Mario party would be like. Plus the difference between 2 vs 4 people for online games is much greater. That's why smash when it's 1 v 1 will run great almost all the time, while 4 player constantly has some delayed inputs.

I can and have. With people here.

These games require frame perfect inputs. The fact that most of Mario Party's minigames can be handled locally and there's a lot of downtime means that it's ripe for save state based netcode.

And like I said, host disconnection would ruin the game. And disconnects happen a lot with online games especially if you've been playing a match for hours.

Fine. I advocate friends only online. Which is really what I was pushing to begin with anyway.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Such passion

Well this got a bit heated.

Mario party is super serious.

It's the most serious. I still have fond memories of getting into fist fights with my friends over Mario Party back when I was a little kid.

You guys are aware this isn't really about Mario Party, right? It's about a fundamental oversight that is absurd given the current state of gaming and online connectivity, which only serves to reiterate the tired complaint that Nintendo's fear of the internet is ruining them.

Also, this isn't heated. This is just a normal discussion on GAF.

Sorry for the double post.

I can and have. With people here.

These games require frame perfect inputs. The fact that most of Mario Party's minigames can be handled locally and there's a lot of downtime means that it's ripe for save state based netcode.

Yeah and people to no end complain about SF4's shitty netcode on PC. I'm just saying if it doesn't work almost flawlessly than it's just gonna be boring and aggravating to deal with for straight hours. I'm almost not familar with netcodes so I can't really say anything else. I'm not defending Nintendo for not having it. 10 games in they really should have at least tried to do it. I can just understand why there can be some big complications in the process of trying to implement an online feature in Mario party and how it can really hinder the experience if it's just a mess. If Nintendo can't do it good, then don't do it at all. But in the same way there's no excuse why they can't do it good.

And yes. It should be friends only and have voice chat. The best part of Mario party is tellin people to git gud and cheating them out of coins/stars. That's what makes it so fun but only with friends. No one takes Mario party competitively.

360pages

Friends only would work just fine, on the idea that none of your friends are jerk or have bad connections.

Legit, I don't think Mario Party is really a good online game despite it being a party game. The entire Nature of the game requires you to go in expecting to lose simply due to the nature of the games.

But I agree it should be an option.

Zenfalcia

It's the most serious. I still have fond memories of getting into fist fights with my friends over Mario Party back when I was a little kid.

Like i said, super serious.
You guys are aware this isn't really about Mario Party, right? It's about a fundamental oversight that is absurd given the current state of gaming and online connectivity, which only serves to reiterate the tired complaint that Nintendo's fear of the internet is ruining them.

Also, this isn't heated. This is just a normal discussion on GAF.

Sorry for the double post.

I'm just playing around. It is a good discussion to actually talk about with valid points on all sides.

JoJo94

I ordered the Mega Man amiibo a while ago. I'm looking forward to getting it. Hopefully it doesn't look like complete shit.

Yeah I bought mine in the store since I knew it would be better to spend time comparing which ones looked better. Can't do that for the others though since they probably won't be in stores here.

joe2187

Banned

There was a teacher in middle school who thought it would be a good idea to have an entire free period where we would team up and play mario party.

The aftermath of the day was 4 kids in detention, and one that was suspended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom