• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 11: COMP! COMP! COMP! COMP! C-O-M-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiraiya

So I got an Android phone yesterday and also got to experience windows 8.1 as a family member acquired a new Laptop. I'm about 8 years behind on this stuff, it's alright I guess, I find a lot of things really not at all intuitive about touchscreens and apps and the constent "DO YOU WANT TO CONNECT TO FACEBOOK? TWITTER? SKYPE? TUMBLR? GOOGLE? HOW ABOUT ALL OF THE ABOVE? WHY DON'T WE POST EVERYTHING YOU THINK EVERYWHERE?" HEY ARE YOU PLAYING YOUR PS3? WANT TO PAUSE YOUR GAME AND CONNECT TO A THING TO TALK TO PEOPLE ABOUT IT? DO YOU WANT TO TELL THE WHOLE WORLD ABOUT EVERY BUTTON YOU PRESSED? STAY CONNECTED BRO!"

No, that is the exact opposite of everything I could possibly want, what happened to the days when everything could be kept separate, if I wanted to connect to these other forms of social media, I would go and signup for and USE them, but since I have not done so, why do you insist that I do?

Facebook should stay where it damn well is, if I want to join facebook, I will join Facebook myself.
If I wish to join twitter, I would do so.

All this crap bleeding into consoles is just annoying, a console is for fucking games, stop being stupid and focusing on console version of facebook and all that garbage, it's a waste of time.

People do not need faster and more efficient ways of telling other people pointless shit that no one cares about or needs to know.

"TWITTER UPDATE: Xiraiya pressed X in a game"

i3IfafU.gif

DPed but love it!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=973775

I'm voting for TLOU, because of how much the cult of personality there around the game is really obnoxious.
Portal 2, Mass Effect 2, MGS4, and Zelda: TP are all mediocre entries compared to the previous game/other games in their series.

So I guess those. None of those games are bad though.

i3IfafU.gif
I think it was intentional, but that read like Ron Swanson. Anyway, I also hate social media despite understanding why they're doing it and why people want those features.

Xiraiya

think it was intentional, but that read like Ron Swanson. Anyway, I also hate social media despite understanding why they're doing it and why people want those features.

It was a happy coincidence, there are reasons why he is the best character in that entire show.

It only works with 3ds, 3dsxl and I think 2ds before you rile Pat up fyi,

Nu3ds/XL must have an updated version of the webkit browser which is what the exploit is based on.

Pat has a 2DS though.

I think he said he gave Liam the Nu3DS because even he realized that it was too crazy.

Zenfalcia

So I got an Android phone yesterday and also got to experience windows 8.1 as a family member acquired a new Laptop. I'm about 8 years behind on this stuff, it's alright I guess, I find a lot of things really not at all intuitive about touchscreens and apps and the constent "DO YOU WANT TO CONNECT TO FACEBOOK? TWITTER? SKYPE? TUMBLR? GOOGLE? HOW ABOUT ALL OF THE ABOVE? WHY DON'T WE POST EVERYTHING YOU THINK EVERYWHERE?" HEY ARE YOU PLAYING YOUR PS3? WANT TO PAUSE YOUR GAME AND CONNECT TO A THING TO TALK TO PEOPLE ABOUT IT? DO YOU WANT TO TELL THE WHOLE WORLD ABOUT EVERY BUTTON YOU PRESSED? STAY CONNECTED BRO!"

No, that is the exact opposite of everything I could possibly want, what happened to the days when everything could be kept separate, if I wanted to connect to these other forms of social media, I would go and signup for and USE them, but since I have not done so, why do you insist that I do?

Facebook should stay where it damn well is, if I want to join facebook, I will join Facebook myself.
If I wish to join twitter, I would do so.

All this crap bleeding into consoles is just annoying, a console is for fucking games, stop being stupid and focusing on console version of facebook and all that garbage, it's a waste of time.

People do not need faster and more efficient ways of telling other people pointless shit that no one cares about or needs to know.

So, you had an IOS before? What phone do you have now? Usually those social network can be turned off, but they'll pester your until you say that you don't care. 8 years behind huh... Well, the future is probably going to have more social network stuff.

Zenfalcia

Platinum posted this picture on twitter.

with the caption
"Hey, if you're not using your old suit, mind if I borrow it for a bit?"
you think there's a deeper meaning to this?
a deep dark sexy secret?

Well then... I can't wait till the fan artists explode and make tons of pictures.

croten

Platinum posted this picture on twitter.

with the caption
"Hey, if you're not using your old suit, mind if I borrow it for a bit?"
you think there's a deeper meaning to this?
a deep dark sexy secret?

Bayo should have got a Zero Suit, it fits her pretty damn well.

I think it was intentional, but that read like Ron Swanson. Anyway, I also hate social media despite understanding why they're doing it and why people want those features.

I don't understand it to be honest.

I hate achievement chasing and the last thing I want to do is spoil someone on something that ends up being posted to facebook/twitter/etc. or to let them know that I play too many video games.

Skrams

DPed but love it!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=973775

I'm voting for TLOU, because of how much the cult of personality there around the game is really obnoxious.

These kind of threads always bum me out since it's just one after another of people hating game A, B, or C. Shit like this makes me wonder if my taste in games is just that average since I feel like I rarely have that crazy of opinions after seeing what other people think about some games. Or it's just a thing of I play the things I like and even if I don't like thing I usually know if it was meant for me or not.

Edit- Also the answer is probably Twilight Princess, MGS4, or maybe Journey. I only say those even because the first doesn't feel anywhere close to a GOTY, second has everyone shitting on it for weird story bullshit, and the third because eh.

I don't understand it to be honest.

I hate achievement chasing and the last thing I want to do is spoil someone on something that ends up being posted to facebook/twitter/etc. or to let them know that I play too many video games.
The point of social media in general is to fish for attention and attempt to kindle conversation (kinda). Some people will use it for achievements, but it's mainly just another way to post your "status" as "I'm playing videogames". While also being marketing for the game and the system they're on.
These kind of threads always bum me out since it's just one after another of people hating game A, B, or C. Shit like this makes me wonder if my taste in games is just that average since I feel like I rarely have that crazy of opinions after seeing what other people think about some games. Or it's just a thing of I play the things I like and even if I don't like thing I usually know if it was meant for me or not.
I think some games' faults just upset people when they don't enjoy them. Especially if it's a sequel.

Xiraiya

You can't let yourself be taken in by that nonsense, the problem with communities is that most of what people say will change according to who they're around, it's like a mob mentality thing, when people get carried away hating or loving something, other people jump in just because it's the thing to do and they all get swept up in it together when their opinions truthfully aren't *that* extreme or sometimes are straight up contradictory to the hype they're caught in.

demidar

Weird, I think MGS4 totally belongs as GOTY. It's gameplay has been getting more complex (though complexity isn't always good) over the previous entry, it has lots of intertwining systems and its gameplay has yet to be copied and done better elsewhere. It seems like Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain, from what I heard from you guys, only makes the gameplay better through proper streamlining of obtuse/clunky mechanics. Sure, it's got lots of crazy shit and literally hours of cutscenes, but I don't think that diminishes the excellent gameplay it has, which is the fallacy many people fall down (lots of cutscenes doesn't mean no gameplay, it just means lots of cutscenes).

Weird, I think MGS4 totally belongs as GOTY. It's gameplay has been getting more complex (though complexity isn't always good) over the previous entry, it has lots of intertwining systems and its gameplay has yet to be copied and done better elsewhere. It seems like Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain, from what I heard from you guys, only makes the gameplay better through proper streamlining of obtuse/clunky mechanics.

Even if I liked the game, which I don't, DMC4 came out in 2008, and is my GOTY for that year.

Xiraiya

MGS4 is weird, a lot of people make fun it for a lot of things, but most of those people remember it in a positive light and end up admitting they actually loved it a whole lot when they played through it, Kojima nonsense and all.
I really enjoyed it personally, it stuck with me in a different way than MGS3 did and I think 3 was definitely a more cohesive and solid experience in general, but MGS4 definitely has it's perks too.

croten

Weird, I think MGS4 totally belongs as GOTY. It's gameplay has been getting more complex (though complexity isn't always good) over the previous entry, it has lots of intertwining systems and its gameplay has yet to be copied and done better elsewhere. It seems like Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain, from what I heard from you guys, only makes the gameplay better through proper streamlining of obtuse/clunky mechanics. Sure, it's got lots of crazy shit and literally hours of cutscenes, but I don't think that diminishes the excellent gameplay it has, which is the fallacy many people fall down (lots of cutscenes doesn't mean no gameplay, it just means lots of cutscenes).

I don't think the gameplay is anything special. Whatever MGS4 did I preferred in MGS 3 and this is coming from someone who played 4 then 3. Fuck the octocamo for making everything too easy.
Someone say Bayonetta Zero Suit?

giphy.gif

Xiraiya

I don't think the gameplay is anything special. Whatever MGS4 did I preferred in MGS 3 and this is coming from someone who played 4 then 3. Fuck the octocamo for making everything too easy.

As opposed to switching camo whenever you want for a 90% Camouflage rating in most situations from the get go because of the game starting with many of the more useful ones.
You might have had a point had MGS3 started you out with literally no camo except the default green outfit and made you collect everything (Something I was thinking about the other day when playing the HD Collection)

croten

As opposed to switching camo whenever you want for a 90% Camouflage rating in most situations from the get go because of the game starting with many of the more useful ones.
You might have had a point had MGS3 started you out with literally no camo except the default green outfit and made you collect everything (Something I was thinking about the other day when playing the HD Collection)

The difference is you have to go in and change it yourself, the octocamo it's just lie down for a second and keep going which makes it far too easy, there is no decision making or thought into it at all. In MGS3 sometimes you have to compromise with your camo index, there was no point in MGS 4 you had to do that.

Skrams

I think some games' faults just upset people when they don't enjoy them. Especially if it's a sequel.

I understand something can be more of a bummer if it's a sequel to a game they really liked or if it's just a mechanic that really annoys them, but man. Portal 2, Uncharted 2, Bayonetta 2, and stuff are really good. There's a person with every opinion out there, so to see it back to back in one thread can be kind of a bummer.

You can't let yourself be taken in by that nonsense, the problem with communities is that most of what people say will change according to who they're around, it's like a mob mentality thing, when people get carried away hating or loving something, other people jump in just because it's the thing to do and they all get swept up in it together when their opinions truthfully aren't *that* extreme or sometimes are straight up contradictory to the hype they're caught in.

I never really thought about it as a mob mentality thing until now. That does make sense. I always just figured it was an anonymity thing and the fact hyperbole is rampant on the internet.

Also I should probably play my sealed MGS Legacy Collection already. I finished 1 years ago, but haven't touched the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom