• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 11: COMP! COMP! COMP! COMP! C-O-M-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

croten

Valveeeee nooooooooooo

It's been years since we've even gotten an FPS though.

I also like how they do silent protagonists, but that might be my fanboy speaking.

I don't. I'm tired of silent protagonists. It's just not a character, no matter how well you do it. Guess what people, Gordan Freeman isn't a good character at all, he is barely a character in the first place.

Jman014

Please enjoy this new monster for free, but for only $35, get this cool new skin that makes your goblins look super cool.

That's what the Arcana item does in Dota 2 for specific characters, but it does even more stuff for the hero! IIRC, it's also the exact same price.

Jman014

I have to wonder how much possible money you can spend on that entire game. Must be in the thousands at the least. And people have probably bought it all.

It has cosmetic armor and weapons made by the community that are sold in the game along with stuff by Valve. There's just so much stuff to buy for your favorite hero! I hear Liam doesn't like it for some reason but it's fine since you can go to the Steam marketplace and get items cheaper there than the actual ingame store.

So I finally grabbed DMC HD for 7 bucks :3

Were gonna be Stylin' and profiling tonight!
I was gonna put a gif but spoilers.

HYPE THOUGH
I don't. I'm tired of silent protagonists. It's just not a character, no matter how well you do it. Guess what people, Gordan Freeman isn't a good character at all, he is barely a character in the first place.
It's more of a self insert than a character, so I dunno, I kinda like "being" the character. There's backstory and plot significance, but it's mostly your avatar.

Guys, Citizens of Earth(bound) is out. Wait until the weekend for 10% off the PS+ price if you're thinking of picking it up on PSN
Although the 10% off is a one time thing

croten

HYPE THOUGH

It's more of a self insert than a character, so I dunno, I kinda like "being" the character. There's backstory and plot significance, but it's mostly your avatar.

Yeah I still don't like that, it's just avoiding making a character. I'm not saying Gordan Freeman should talk in HL3 but I wish he talked from the start. Bioshock Infinite did a bunch of things wrong but I think Booker worked fairly well in the game. He beats the Bioshock 1 protag thats for sure.

HYPE THOUGH

I played DMC 1, didnt play 2 or 3.

How long will going through them take me?

Xiraiya

Looking at Kojima's Twitter, he thinks Lucy is a great movie.
Because of course he does.

He can probably enjoy it without obsessively needing every detail to add up properly.

Sometimes you have to be able to just "enjoy the ride", just like 99% of this thread does with TTGL and KLK.

Yeah I still don't like that, it's just avoiding making a character. I'm not saying Gordan Freeman should talk in HL3 but I wish he talked from the start. Bioshock Infinite did a bunch of things wrong but I think Booker worked fairly well in the game. He beats the Bioshock 1 protag thats for sure.
I think a bad protagonist is far worse than a nonexistant one. If they pulled it off in a way that was super awesome and interesting that's fine, but I think Booker spends most of the game time saying random generic shit. Acted decently, but there's a marked difference playing as a character and being "the character yourself". Goofy as that sounds.

As far as Portal that game is on a budget. and Half Life is that way because of the restrictions on Half Life 1. It works way better in that game too, since you see people far less often, and there's less cinematic scenes where people stand around and talk to you in situations where humans would answer them.
I played DMC 1, didnt play 2 or 3.

How long will going through them take me?
2 will take 5 minutes for you to skip it.

3 depends entirely on how gud you are. I had an arduous 20 hours or something.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'll never get over how perfect this gif is.

giphy.gif

croten

He can probably enjoy it without obsessively needing every detail to add up properly.

Sometimes you have to be able to just "enjoy the ride", just like 99% of this thread does with TTGL and KLK.

Except TTGL and KLK are great shows and Lucy is a very mediocre if not downright bad film, your argument is a bit lacking there.
I think a bad protagonist is far worse than a nonexistant one. If they pulled it off in a way that was super awesome and interesting that's fine, but I think Booker spends most of the game time saying random generic shit. Acted decently, but there's a marked difference playing as a character and being "the character yourself". Goofy as that sounds.

As far as Portal that game is on a budget. and Half Life is that way because of the restrictions on Half Life 1. It works way better in that game too, since you see people far less often, and there's less cinematic scenes where people stand around and talk to you in situations where humans would answer them.

No protagonist is better than a bad for sure but the characters in Valve games are hardly bad. They could easily make the protagonist a good character if they tried. And you can insert yourself into protagonists that have a character easily enough. I just hate silent protagonists because it's wasted potential.

ultimax

Gurren is actually good tho. Idk about KLK.

I saw Lucy in theaters and it was disgustingly bad

No protagonist is better than a bad for sure but the characters in Valve games are hardly bad. They could easily make the protagonist a good character if they tried. And you can insert yourself into protagonists that have a character easily enough. I just hate silent protagonists because it's wasted potential.
I'd agree, but I'm just paranoid about it. The best benefit of a silent protagonist is he's actually destined to appeal to everyone, he never says anything annoying. A cool guy is way cooler and can do stuff, though, so I can at least see where you're coming from.
My problem with that movie is that it starts as a shitty Bourne ripoff and gradually becomes a shitty inception ripoff
Ewwww

croten

I'd agree, but I'm just paranoid about it. The best benefit of a silent protagonist is he's actually destined to appeal to everyone, he never says anything annoying. A cool guy is way cooler and can do stuff, though, so I can at least see where you're coming from.
Ewwww

I just would say to get over your paranoia. How many games are there that have protagonists so bad that it ruined the game? Besides games that just have terrible writing to begin with? I just never think a silent protagonist is a good thing. If Valve can't do it, which they completely can do, then I would lose all my faith in Valve from a writing standpoint.

Xiraiya

I don't really mind the concept of a silent protagonist, some things are more enjoyable when there is a certain mystery to them. I don't see him as a "Self insert medium" like Persona protagonists for example. Gordon freeman's fame as a character is because of the fact his silence implies certain qualities about his personality based on how you play the game and how other characters interact with him, qualities that get discussed and exaggerated by the players over time, it's very interesting.

So I think that is a perfectly acceptable form of a "character".

Yaaaaaaay
I just would say to get over your paranoia. How many games are there that have protagonists so bad that it ruined the game? Besides games that just have terrible writing to begin with? I just never think a silent protagonist is a good thing. If Valve can't do it, which they completely can do, then I would lose all my faith in Valve from a writing standpoint.
I suppose, considering Left 4 Dead's characters and how most of them are... ok, I think it's mostly Portal as a budget game and Half Life 1's reasons for not having VA.

Like, have you listened to the Portal 2 developer commentary? I could even believe they just like saving money on VA. (spoilers)
The whole GLaDOS is Caroline subplot was only done because they wanted a dorky scientist assistant for Cave to play off of, thought hiring a VA was too expensive for a few lines, wanted to economize Ellen, and then were like HEY WE CAN SHOEHORN IN A UNNECESSARY GLADOS ORIGIN STORY, AWESOME
I enjoy this canon.
I don't really mind the concept of a silent protagonist, some things are more enjoyable when there is a certain mystery to them. I don't see him as a "Self insert medium" like Persona protagonists for example. Gordon freeman's fame as a character is because of the fact his silence implies certain qualities about his personality based on how you play the game and how other characters interact with him, qualities that get discussed and exaggerated by the players over time, it's very interesting.

So I think that is a perfectly acceptable form of a "character".
Extrinsic value of a silent protagonist is kinda hard to judge. It only worked because the game was so popular.

I agree that they're something under there, but it's nothing too comparable to an actual character with depth. he fits Half Life, but the game is made around it.

croten

I suppose, considering Left 4 Dead's characters and how most of them are... ok, I think it's mostly Portal as a budget game and Half Life 1's reasons for not having VA.

Like, have you listened to the Portal 2 developer commentary? I could even believe they just like saving money on VA. (spoilers)
The whole GLaDOS is Caroline subplot was only done because they wanted a dorky scientist assistant for Cave to play off of, thought hiring a VA was too expensive for a few lines, wanted to economize Ellen, and then were like HEY WE CAN SHOEHORN IN A UNNECESSARY GLADOS ORIGIN STORY, AWESOME

Again I'm not saying let's make Gordan Freeman talk but if they make a new game with a new protagonist and they don't talk at all I will be heavily disappointed in Valve. Self insert characters are fine every now and then but why not just make a good character instead? 9 times out of 10 it's always better anyway.

Again I'm not saying let's make Gordan Freeman talk but if they make a new game with a new protagonist and they don't talk at all I will be heavily disappointed in Valve. Self insert characters are fine every now and then but why not just make a good character instead? 9 times out of 10 it's always better anyway.
If Valve makes a new IP ever, I'd be happy, but I gotcha. I guess a new IP really has no standards, in fact, if that's the case I'd rather it not be an FPS, yeah.

Also, House of the Dead 2 is still a kick ass game, second best lightgun game ever made. The fact you can make certain route choices that place you at different start points in later chapters is incredible.

Also hard as hell to dual wield both wii remotes and shoot with them. Plus you burn through credits much fast. But it's fun as hell. There really needs to be a lightgun with an actual DDR Doubles style mode, so it doesn't scale the game's difficulty to be handled by two different people. Too Spicy would've been fucking perfect for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom