• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 11: COMP! COMP! COMP! COMP! C-O-M-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiraiya

I've had nothing but sub par experiences at subway, but I also have a nice variety of deli options in NY that most people around the country do not have immediate access to.
Relative to fresh delicatessen cuts, subway can't match up in price, quality, or taste compared to something I can get from Katz Deli or Carnegie Deli or Cherry Valley. Especially good pastrami. That is hard to come by.

Fresh food and food quality in general is a big deal in Australia, fresh meat and vegetables and health food stuff like that in general is pushed way harder than fast food here, so those places needed to have better standards to actually succeed here.

The chicken they use is from well known Australian owned brands that provide good quality meat and potatoes and stuff like that to all kinds of places around the country. So while you may find the not so great instance of KFC or something somewhere, most of the time it'll always be pretty much consistently good in quality, or else people make a huge fuss.

You like Madoka though?

post-49639-spongebob-waiting-gif-Imgur-co-tfl3.gif

That was the longest 12 episodes I ever watched.

Madoka is a Deconstruction, despite it being dark it is still a Magical Girls show all the way to the credits and action scenes.

Eva, stops being a mecha series after EP 17
Im sorry but did you not see end of evangelion where
ausuka goes beast mode on the mass produced evas?

Not now, since it's been spoiled to hell and back, but someone going into it blind without knowing the kind of mindscrew it was would be disappointed.

I don't care about Eva, don't hate it, but I really don't think it's all that great.
The first episode spills out that this is not going to be an action heavy show.

And I fucking love it.

Black olives and green peppers for me.

Or sometimes I'll just put buffalo chicken if I'm in a really fat mood, though I rarely do that.
Green Peppers are some fucking rad shit. Bacon and Green Peppers are my required toppings. Chicken, onions, and jajapenos if I wanna get fancy.
Adore it. Madoka is fantastic.
You may've been looking for the decon aspect more than a pyschological thing. EVA's pretty poorly represented by its fans, I think.

If you don't relate to any of the feelings or situations going on,it's probably dumb, boring,
mindfuckery

Not now, since it's been spoiled to hell and back, but someone going into it blind without knowing the kind of mindscrew it was would be disappointed.

I don't care about Eva, don't hate it, but I really don't think it's all that great.
But it seems you don't like character drama and characters with heavy back stories. At least that is the impression I get when ever you talk about the subject. I could imagine the switch being jarring and people not liking it when it was first airing but at this point I think most people who are interested in anime know EVA's reputation for serious stuff going on

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Adore it. Madoka is fantastic.
Because Madoka has Gen Urobuchi as opposed to the walking mess that is Hideaki Anno.

Gen is a fantastic writer and very versatile in terms of genres. Hideaki Anno is just falling apart and is kind of a one trick pony. But the reason Eva's characters are so fucked up and good is because he wrote them while he was falling apart. And he kind of just sticks with Mecha and doesn't do much else. His latest work was Me! Me! Me! IIRC.

I thought the characters are garbage, even if they're well written. Fuck all of them except Misato.

Oh they are absolutely horrible people, and have tons of issues. But that's why it's great. Misato is one of the most complex characters in anime, and she kicks ass.

sjay1994

Green Peppers are some fucking rad shit. Bacon and Green Peppers are my required toppings. Chicken, onions, and jajapenos if I wanna get fancy.

You may've been looking for the decon aspect more than a pyschological thing. EVA's pretty poorly represented by its fans, I think.

If you don't relate to any of the feelings or situations going on,it's probably dumb, boring,
mindfuckery

My go to condiments are chicken jalapenos and some other meat.

I thought the characters are garbage, even if they're well written. Fuck all of them except Misato.

Like Mad Men, you're not supposed to like the characters. The characters are flawed and mostly terrible people and with terrible people, when they are humanized in media, they are the most memorable characters.

Did you see the rest of said move where it's talking about the inner workings of the human condition.
Mecha animes arent non stop action. They have those kind of moments. Usually being "why do I fight?"
Gurren laganns second to last episode is only like 3 minutes of action.

360pages

But it seems you don't like character drama and characters with heavy back stories. At least that is the impression I get when ever you talk about the subject. I could imagine the switch being jarring and people not liking it when it was first airing but at this point I think most people who are interested in anime know EVA's reputation for serious stuff going on

Well now, I don't mind character Drama, or Heavy back stories. But only when it complements the narrative, even if the story is pushed to the back burners. It's why I love the Fate/Stay Night series.

mindfuckery

I've been told that multiple times by people and I think that's probably why. I still don't think anything about it is necessarily great, but I was never lonely or depressed or had mommy/daddy issues or whatever these characters went through so I can't relate to them at all.

I also think Madoka is a much more
dire situation than EVA. Madoka, you can understand why the characters start fucking losing it because of how dire their situation is and that they can't do anything about it. With EVA, its just like "fucking pilot the robot and kill that fucking thing, you've done it before multiple times."

And like before, I scratched the itch that EVA couldn't even touch anyway, so I just can't care for it on any level.

360pages

Mecha animes arent non stop action. They have those kind of moments. Usually being "why do I fight?"

No, but on the flips side, the last 1/3 of the series only had 4 actions scenes in it. Think about that for a moment. That is rough for someone going into or a deconstruction.

Mathaou

legacy of cane

I need to rewatch Gurren Lagann. I've only seen it 4 times all the way through! And it never gets old!

Being serious.

That's the point tho.

Because Madoka has Gen Urobuchi as opposed to the walking mess that is Hideaki Anno.

Gen is a fantastic writer and very versatile in terms of genres. Hideaki Anno is just falling apart and is kind of a one trick pony. But the reason Eva's characters are so fucked up and good is because he wrote them while he was falling apart. And he kind of just sticks with Mecha and doesn't do much else. His latest work was Me! Me! Me! IIRC.

Oh they are absolutely horrible people, and have tons of issues. But that's why it's great. Misato is one of the most complex characters in anime, and she kicks ass.

Like Mad Men, you're not supposed to like the characters. The characters are flawed and mostly terrible people and with terrible people, when they are humanized in media, they are the most memorable characters.

I know they're not supposed to be likable, and I say this being biased and obnoxious, I don't care. There's a lot of things about that show that can fuck off. They're just a part of the package.

Well now, I don't mind character Drama, or Heavy back stories. But only when it complements the narrative, even if the story is pushed to the back burners. It's why I love the Fate/Stay Night series.
Yeah I figured I was assuming too much but it seems whenever the subject comes up you say how you prefer the straight forward, more simple characters to the alternative

sjay1994

I think this explains why I hate season 2 of Telltales WD.

Not only are all the characters assholes, but they are all poorly written.

I think this explains why I hate season 2 of Telltales WD.

Not only are all the characters assholes, but they are all poorly written.

I think people were expecting another Lee and Clem dynamic and were disappointed with the much darker narrative.

Realistically, I couldn't see the story going anywhere else but dark, all things considered.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
unlike Persona 4 where everyones likeable but Yukiko
and i do mean everyone
Funky Student is best guy.

I've been told that multiple times by people and I think that's probably why. I still don't think anything about it is necessarily great, but I was never lonely or depressed or had mommy/daddy issues or whatever these characters went through so I can't relate to them at all.

dire situation than EVA. Madoka, you can understand why the characters start fucking losing it because of how dire their situation is and that they can't do anything about it. With EVA, its just like "fucking pilot the robot and kill that fucking thing, you've done it before multiple times."

And like before, I scratched the itch that EVA couldn't even touch anyway, so I just can't care for it on any level.
Yes, but it Eva Shinjis reluctance to pilot the robot, and then his acceptance of his role to the point of approaching it with detachment and mindlessness play into the whole, "Just pilot the robot, Shinji" part of it. He knows how to pilot the robot, but he feels helpless because this is the only thing that he thinks gives his life purpose, and he just wants to disappear. And also theres the massive pressure that is put on him. When he breaks down that just adds to his helplessness and wanting to disappear.

It is more overtly dire for sure but you can't see how knowing you can get killed by an angel at any moment and that you are the last line of defence that humanity has against the enemies capable of mass destruction would cause a 14 year old kid with pre existing mental issues to break down? It's more than just getting in a robot

That feeling of depression is fucking rife in and through that show. You feel shit coming apart as you go, and that's really why I love it, nothing nails depression like something coming from someone in the middle of it.

On a narrative level, there's very very little to EVA, and it takes a good 15 or whatever episodes for it to start even getting "to the point", where Madoka is tightly wound around explaining and executing the deconstruction situation for the characters and viewer.

EVA is a mess pacing wise, and objectively it only has some good writing, subtlety (and impressive animation for the time). It mostly just nails those feelings super hard.

IMO, anyway.
Wooooo! Vita charger came today! Now I can play my Vita games again!
Yeahhhhhh!

Mathaou

legacy of cane
I like eva but even I can admit that its just OK. Its no Gurren Lagann, or Gintama. Then again I really dont like dark shit. I dont wanna feel like shit when I finish a story I wanna feel happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom