• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 11: COMP! COMP! COMP! COMP! C-O-M-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Well that image is supposed to be used when people are bitching about something rather than them calmly saying they didn't get anything from it.

My bad. I'll find a more suitable image.
ikWtUubZrvE2q.gif

I just ran over my foot with my wheelie chair and then stubbed my toe hobbling out of the room.
At what point did I turn in a god damned cartoon character?

At least you didn't fracture your toe on an empty soda can and repeatedly hit it over and over throughout months

I'm talking about depression in the case of this particular situation of anime. Do I think depression is serious? Yes, I've been through it, of course I know its a serious issue. If you think my opinions about depression in anime are the same as real life, then please stop. Its not the same.

People have been through it way tougher than me and I know that and some obviously need more help. In the case of Shinji, I don't give a fuck because its anime. If shinji was a real person, of course I would care.
I'm not insulting you, I was just pointing out that he was not talking about what you thought of Eva. In that post what you said could be interpreted as you saying you have no sympathy to people with depression and that they need to get over it

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Ad hominem doesn't make people change their opinions or listen to you, it just upsets them and makes them rally against your point.

Also, most of the time, it weakens your argument.

We just need to tap in time with the music while shooting truth bullets. Eventually we'll get somewhere.

I'm not insulting you, I was just pointing out that he was not talking about what you thought of Eva. In that post what you said could be interpreted as you saying you have no sympathy to people with depression and that they need to get over it

If it came off like that, then I really apologize. What I meant is that when it comes to real depression, you first need to be able to help yourself before anyone else can help you. That's how I always thought of it and think of it in general. Its how I got out of mine when shit just got too much for me.

I should also apologize to the EVA fans, I know how close that show is to them on a personal level and I came off insulting and a douche about it. I wouldn't want someone to bash the things that hit me on a personal level.

I'll just add EVA to the "stop talking about it" list with Persona 4.

If it came off like that, then I really apologize. What I meant is that when it comes to depression, you first need to be able to help yourself before anyone else can help you. That's how I always thought of it and think of it in general.

I should also apologize to the EVA fans, I know how close that show is to them on a personal level and I came off insulting and a douche about it. I wouldn't want someone to bash the things that hit me on a personal level.

It only got heated because of the misunderstanding, it's fine.
I don't think you're wrong for disliking the show actually, especially if you have no emotional connection to it.

360pages

Though, legit, Storm 4 looks crazy awesome. I guess the games really are the best way to experience the story simply due to the fact that the filler is pushed back to post game and seeing crazy awesome stuff with better pacing is actually kind of cool.

Anung

Un Rama

What he said. Especially when Shinji is basically depressive as a character. I just find it odd how someone could go through depression and not empathize with his problems (real or not) and even decry Eva's attempt to portray that depression in the first place.

Especially when Hideaki Anno's own severe depression influenced so much of the show.

EDIT:I apologize for calling you a moron.

Whats the story to this? An empty can? Was it pressed up against something so didn't move? I gotta know.
I need more elaboration on this.

Okay so I sit on my ottoman so that I'm basically riding it, laptop on it as well in front of me. I had been drinking a pepsi and I finished it so I left it to my left. I get up and when I come back, I lift my leg to get back on it and my foot gets on it so I lose my balance and bend my toe really fucking hard and I never checked it but I'm pretty sure it's cracked or fractured or something. I've just kept hitting/bending it multiple times since then, it's hell.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
If it came off like that, then I really apologize. What I meant is that when it comes to depression, you first need to be able to help yourself before anyone else can help you. That's how I always thought of it and think of it in general.

Nah you good. EVA is a very easy show to find flaws with and to make fun of. It's basically the red headed step child of anime.

Now, if someone was gonna start insulting Zelda, Final Fantasy 7 & 9, Luigis Mansion, or Paper Mario TTYD, I would take up arms.

If it came off like that, then I really apologize. What I meant is that when it comes to real depression, you first need to be able to help yourself before anyone else can help you. That's how I always thought of it and think of it in general. Its how I got out of mine when shit just got too much for me.

Its fine, I feel more relateable to Welcome to the NHK anyways.

Okay so I sit on my ottoman so that I'm basically riding it, laptop on it as well in front of me. I had been drinking a pepsi and I finished it so I left it to my left. I get up and when I come back, I lift my leg to get back on it and my foot gets on it so I lose my balance and bend my toe really fucking hard and I never checked it but I'm pretty sure it's cracked or fractured or something. I've just kept hitting/bending it multiple times since then, it's hell.
Jesus goddamn, that's terrible. I bruised my pinky super hard once way way back and it way like that, kept hurting it again and again randomly. it's the worst.

croten

Nah you good. EVA is a very easy show to find flaws with and to make fun of. It's basically the red headed step child of anime.

Now, if someone was gonna start insulting Zelda, Final Fantasy 7 & 9, Luigis Mansion, or Paper Mario TTYD, I would take up arms.

Zelda is a mostly uninteresting series and Final Fantasy 7 is the most over rated video game I have ever played.
:p
I have no beef with the rest

And with that I say goodnight.

Rizzi

That's not great. :/

What's up with all the creepy anime bullshit showing up on steam lately?

I like the show but I am no means a super fan of it, I just wanted to defend points that I enjoyed. This was only like my 2nd Eva discussion and I see why they have a reputation for getting out of hand. Depression is a touchy subject for me though and I also apologize
Man it seems like EVA his the only thing that has ever made us be seriously rude to one another.
It was a civil discussion until messages got misinterpreted. Eva didn't really play a part when it got out of hand

It only got heated because of the misunderstanding, it's fine.
I don't think you're wrong for disliking the show actually, especially if you have no emotional connection to it.

I still feel bad because of the wording. I really looked like an asshole.

Oh god, we don't need to go into my thoughts on final fantasy. Now that'll be a blood bath.

NHK was really good. Loved the way that show handled its depression and characters.

What he said. Especially when Shinji is basically depressive as a character. I just find it odd how someone could go through depression and not empathize with his problems (real or not) and even decry Eva's attempt to portray that depression in the first place.

Especially when Hideaki Anno's own severe depression influenced so much of the show.

EDIT:I apologize for calling you a moron.

Its fine, with the way I worded and you interpreted it, I would've called myself much worse.

And I'm not gonna about the show anymore. That conversation got way too heated and we don't need to go back to it.

I like the show but I am no means a super fan of it, I just wanted to defend points that I enjoyed. This was only like my 2nd Eva discussion and I see why they have a reputation for getting out of hand. Depression is a touchy subject for me though and I also apologize

It was a civil discussion until messages got misinterpreted. Eva didn't really play a part when it got out of hand

I guess you're right, but I got into it with some EVA fans before and this was a lot more civil until my dumb comment.

Jesus goddamn, that's terrible. I bruised my pinky super hard once way way back and it way like that, kept hurting it again and again randomly. it's the worst.

That's not great. :/

What's up with all the creepy anime bullshit showing up on steam lately?

Yeah, I had been stubbing my toes for a while now too but it started to get bad with that. When I was younger it happened to my fingers when I tried to catch balls. Also Gabe wants that VN mad bank

ultimax

if i had to pick an anime i find most relatable, i'd probably say Cromartie Highschool...yup i'll go with that.

Take notes, because unless you're depressed or are in the mood for characters with tons of issues, you most likely will not like the show.

I'll probably end up writing a shit tier review on it on hummingbird after i watch it

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Zelda is a mostly uninteresting series and Final Fantasy 7 is the most over rated video game I have ever played.
:p
I have no beef with the rest

And with that I say goodnight.

Which Zelda's were you playing? Also, keep in mind that Zelda is a goofy, dumb, fantasy story. Even then, the story is crazy at points (Spirit Tracks doesn't count as a game), and the characters aside from Link and Zelda (who are bland) are pretty fantastic.

Final Fantasy 7's combat is fantastic and looks great, the story is pretty solid, and if you can get over the horrible monster character models, it's a pretty nice looking game with a wonderful atmosphere. Also materia is the shit. Not as good as FFIX's weapon and armor skill learning, but it's still really good.

It's pretty cool. I gotta go check out my local arcade that opened up recently to see if they have it. Seeing it on the Direct made me really hyped for it.
Shit is so good. Best part about it is the "Special" mode, which not only has remixed enemy encounters by the game behind Ikaruga, but also effectively turns the game into After Burner Climax.

So now despite that game being delisted from XBLA/PSN, at least people can now play an After Burner game with Climax's slow mo mechanic and have the superior After Burner II music by default.

Looking forward to the rest of the upcoming 3D classics, especially OutRun. Gives me hopes for what extra goodies they'll add for that one.

croten

Which Zelda's were you playing? Also, keep in mind that Zelda is a goofy, dumb, fantasy story. Even then, the story is crazy at points (Spirit Tracks doesn't count as a game), and the characters aside from Link and Zelda (who are bland) are pretty fantastic.

Final Fantasy 7's combat is fantastic and looks great, the story is pretty solid, and if you can get over the horrible monster character models, it's a pretty nice looking game with a wonderful atmosphere. Also materia is the shit. Not as good as FFIX's weapon and armor skill learning, but it's still really good.

It's 4:30 so I don't actually have time to cause another war but...
I have played most Zelda games and really the ones I liked were OoT, MM and WW.

And with Final Fantasy 7 all I can say is I disagree, this one is purely subjective but I never got into the plot, I don't like cloud, I don't like Sephiroth and I think the gameplay is alright at best. Final Fantasy 6 was a far superior game.

It's 4:30 so I don't actually have time to cause another war but...
I have played most Zelda games and really the ones I liked were OoT, MM and WW.

And with Final Fantasy 7 all I can say is I disagree, this one is purely subjective but I never got into the plot, I don't like cloud, I don't like Sephiroth and I think the gameplay is alright at best. Final Fantasy 6 was a far superior game.

I didn't enjoy FF much either in general. I liked 6, most of 9, 13, and 13-2 the most.

dpp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom