• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 11: COMP! COMP! COMP! COMP! C-O-M-P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but it Eva Shinjis reluctance to pilot the robot, and then his acceptance of his role to the point of approaching it with detachment and mindlessness play into the whole, "Just pilot the robot, Shinji" part of it. He knows how to pilot the robot, but he feels helpless because this is the only thing that he thinks gives his life purpose, and he just wants to disappear.

And this is where the conversation probably derails because I can't care for/watch anyone just fall apart like that. If you can't even help yourself I can't have any sympathy for his actions and all of them are just pathetic with a spiral of him repeating the same fucking actions for 26 episodes (24 if we're not counting that horrendous loss of budget) and a movie.

And even if its intentionally written like that, just fuck off.

Wooooo! Vita charger came today! Now I can play my Vita games again!
maipHb0.gif
charger

360pages

Everytime I look at Eva feel like I'm legit wasting my time, then I realize the creator is most likely laughing at me wasting my time. I know the writer didn't want me to enjoy myself. But...then it goes back to, why the fuck am I watching this? Then I watch Dragon Ball.

Anung

Un Rama
If you can't even help yourself I can't have any sympathy for his actions and all of them are just pathetic with a spiral of him repeating the same fucking actions for 26 episodes (24 if we're not counting that horrendous loss of budget) and a movie.

That's depression, folks.

And this is where the conversation probably derails because I can't care for/watch anyone just fall apart like that. If you can't even help yourself I can't have any sympathy for his actions and all of them are just pathetic with a spiral of him repeating the same fucking actions for 26 episodes (24 if we're not counting that horrendous loss of budget) and a movie.

He's a preteen boy with
no mother and a neglectful father.

What else does he have going for him in his life?

That's depression, folks.

Pretty much.

Everytime I look at Eva feel like I'm legit wasting my time, then I realize the creator is most likely laughing at me wasting my time. I know the writer didn't want me to enjoy myself. But...then it goes back to, why the fuck am I watching this? Then I watch Dragon Ball.

I have to wonder how many times I said that when I was watching it.

"no just wait till the thing though"

"no just wait for the movie though"

Mathaou

legacy of cane
The Shinji cycle:

Self Pity -> Robot -> pressure -> break down

He's a preteen boy with

Pretty much.

The robot gives him purpose, which give him pressure, which gives him a break down, which gives him depression, but then he pilots the robot which gives him purpose...

This is a different topic entirely, if you haven't experienced depression first hand than you simply don't know and shouldn't dismiss it so easily

When I watched Eva, I was not in a good spot in life. And Eva connected to me in a level that I truly believe is impossible anymore.

I don't mind if you don't like the show. It's not for everyone.

He's a preteen boy with

People can make excuses for him all they want, plenty of preteen boys without parents turn out fine. And honestly, I really don't care. Like i said, well written characters, but they can still just fuck off.

This is a different topic entirely, if you haven't experienced depression first hand than you simply don't know and shouldn't dismiss it so easily

I've experienced depression. I know what its like when I work a job to pay for and go to college full time and the pressure that comes with it. No ones gonna feel bad for you or help you though, toughen up.

The Shinji cycle:

Self Pity -> Robot -> pressure -> break down

The robot gives him purpose, which give him pressure, which gives him a break down, which gives him depression, but then he pilots the robot which gives him purpose...

Shinji is not the only character going through psychological issues, mind you.

360pages

Which goes back to the idea, if the series speaks to you then it's going to be lifted far higher than if you are watching it in a different state of mind.

If the series doesn't speak to you...then it can very much be a test of patience.

Anung

Un Rama
People can make excuses for him all they want, plenty of preteen boys without parents turn out fine. And honestly, I really don't care. Like i said, well written characters, but they can still just fuck off.

I've experienced depression. I know what its like when I work a job to pay for and go to college full time and the pressure that comes with it. No ones gonna feel bad for you though, toughen up.

Jesus Christ. You are obviously a moron.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
To SkLa's credit I can see why watching someone go through that is absolutely frustrating as hell.

And it feels even worse if you can relate to it.

I watched it a year ago when I was pretty depressed, so I immediately loved it.

Although a show that requires you to be mentally ill or have some type of past trauma in order to relate to it is kind of bullshit, innit?

Aaron we're having an Eva argument here, have you had them to many times to join in now?also welcome back to the land of the vita-ing

It's too much of the same for me. I'll make the same points, the people who don't like it will say they're not good enough, I'll disagree, eventually it'll go back and forth until we all agree to disagree.

I've made my feelings and thoughts on Eva very clear and visible in the past, if I didn't convince anyone then then I'm almost assuredly not going to convince them now.

Different strokes for different folks.

I've experienced depression. I know what its like when I work a job to pay for and go to college full time and the pressure that comes with it. No ones gonna feel bad for you though, toughen up.
Ok sorry if I came off as a dick but I know many people who have a similar viewpoint but do not have perspective on the subject.
Real depression is a lot more than that though

Mathaou

legacy of cane
:/
I love Gurren, but you don't have to call people out for disliking something and talking about it. It's not liek you've never said you disliked something in here. And it's not like this is the Gurren Lagann OT
even though it almost could be

I thought my response was pretty tame, but I guess singling them out was the bad part, huh?

I'll be more courteous in the future.

I watched it a year ago when I was pretty depressed, so I immediately loved it.

Although a show that requires you to be mentally ill or have some type of past trauma in order to relate to it is kind of bullshit, innit?

Does a person need to be hype 24/7 to appreciate TTGL or KLK?

Honestly, the Initial appeal of EVA to Western and Eastern audiences was the religious imagery and the EVA units. I can understand the bait and switch that the narrative pulls would not appeal to certain people.

I stayed for broken Shinji and Misato and Asuka and Rei. They're all messes and I love it.

Jesus Christ. You are obviously a moron.

I know how biased/ignorant I am towards EVA. I think its fucking garbage and nothing is gonna change my mind on that. I can't relate to the characters and I don't think it does anything great, other than the ocassional hints of good animation/music.

No need to take personal shots here. I'm not calling people here assholes/dumbasses for liking something I don't like.

croten

I thought my response was pretty tame, but I guess singling them out was the bad part, huh?

I'll be more courteous in the future.

Well that image is supposed to be used when people are bitching about something rather than them calmly saying they didn't get anything from it.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
I've experienced depression. I know what its like when I work a job to pay for and go to college full time and the pressure that comes with it. No ones gonna feel bad for you or help you though, toughen up.

To paraphrase Silent Hill 2, "Is it so bad to run away?"

It may not be the best option for you, but when you feel that cornered and threatened, some people can't take it.

I know how biased/ignorant I am towards EVA. I think its fucking garbage and nothing is gonna change my mind on that. I can't relate to the characters and I don't think it does anything great, other than the ocassional hints of good animation/music.

No need to take personal shots here. I'm not calling people here assholes/dumbasses for liking something I don't like.
He's talking about your views on depression

Anung

Un Rama

Wow, that kind of proves my point. Only an idiot would think I was referring to your dislike of Eva and not your horrible generalizations and ignorance of depression.

It's too much of the same for me. I'll make the same points, the people who don't like it will say they're not good enough, I'll disagree, eventually it'll go back and forth until we all agree to disagree.

I've made my feelings and thoughts on Eva very clear and visible in the past, if I didn't convince anyone then then I'm almost assuredly not going to convince them now.

Different strokes for different folks.
I had a feeling. It's like a larger scale waifu war it just gets old

360pages

Wow, that kind of proves my point. Only an idiot would think I was referring to your dislike of Eva and not your horrible generalizations and ignorance of depression.

Now things are getting stupid, there are better ways to talk about this and point that out rather than calling someone a moron.

...Yep, playing 3D After Burner II instead of following whatever discussion took place was a smart decision.

Game is fucking great, by the way. Play it you assholes.

He's talking about your views on depression

I'm talking about depression in the case of this particular situation of anime. Do I think depression is serious? Yes, I've been through it, of course I know its a serious issue. If you think my opinions about depression in anime are the same as real life, then please stop. Its not the same.

People have been through it way tougher than me and I know that and some obviously need more help. In the case of Shinji, I don't give a fuck because its anime. If shinji was a real person, of course I would care.

Rizzi

I just ran over my foot with my wheelie chair and then stubbed my toe hobbling out of the room.
At what point did I turn in a god damned cartoon character?

I just ran over my foot with my wheelie chair and then stubbed my toe hobbling out of the room.
At what point did I turn in a god damned cartoon character?

Dude I feel the pain. My GF laughs when she hears me yelp cause she knows I hurt my toes somehow. Fucking size 13s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom