• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 11: COMP! COMP! COMP! COMP! C-O-M-P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, Arclight, was it you that mentioned something about swapmagic for playing jp ps2 games? My dumb ass just said "eh, I'll just buy a used ps3 on the cheap" not realizing they weren't backwards compatible. Now I've got Hokuto no Ken and the Berserk game just lying around making me sad.
So mind giving me some more details?
Yeah, it was me.

So yes, Swap Magic is a boot disc that you use to get past the system's region locking without using a mod chip so you can play import and backup games. Because there are some PS2 games that are CDs instead of DVDs (probably no CDs in your case), there are CD and DVD Swap Magic discs for specific cases. You can either burn the software to a blank disc if you have the resources, or you can buy them, though it can be tough to look for. I got my discs from Amazon, but it came out to a bit under 40 bucks.

As for using the discs, the thing that needs to be done is ejecting the disc after loading Swap Magic WITHOUT pressing the eject button. There are two methods:

1) Remove the face plate off the disc tray and use a "slide tool" to latch onto the inside of the tray and pull it out. Note this is only if you have a phat PS2

2) For slim PS2s (also phat PS2s which is what I use), you modify the case of the system to include a flip top cover that you can pop open and pull out the disc that way. If you got a slim, this is probably more preferable as the slide tool requires some specific handling from what I've seen. You'll need tools to modify the case, but it's safer than mucking around with the hardware itself and soldering chips.

There's more details about it if you google, and finding places to buy these things online can be difficult especially when some of them are kind of scams (for the love of god avoid ps2cover.com). It's worth it in the end though. Having a flip top cover on my system keeps the system looking nice and not gutted (which the slide tool option requires) and is super convenient when I want to play an import game.

Hope this all helps.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
I'm fucking exhausted. Not going to do most of my homework. Probably never will. I'll just take all of these as missing and do the rest of my homework from here on out so I don't suffocate.

Night, GAF.

Man, Special Mode in 3D After Burner 2 is so fucking amazing. Burst mode takes the best part of After Burner Climax and makes the frantic pace actually a bit more manageable.

Plus you got mother fucking RIVAL DOG FIGHTS! That shit wasn't in the original game, nor Climax for that matter. For what they managed to work into the framework of this old game, those fights fit very well. Plus you fight your rival three times, the third time in particular at the very end, so they got some of the rival fight basics down.

Buy this game, people, it's super good.

How many people do you guys think will be in the EVO ultimax tournament? Im gonna guess 5.
It depends. If Atlus throws money in the pot there will be more entries. Does anyone know how many signed up for Blazblue or KOF last year? Probably somewhere around there

Also I'm out for the night Frienders

man Riki is a god send for these reconstruction material hunts
Until he gets bored and liberates some prisoners, undoing all your work
R0lFyuv.jpg

It depends. If Atlus throws money in the pot there will be more entries. Does anyone know how many signed up for Blazblue or KOF last year? Probably somewhere around there

Also I'm out for the night Frienders

Until he gets bored and liberates some prisoners, undoing all your work
R0lFyuv.jpg

whoever that is is no match for the Monado

Man, Special Mode in 3D After Burner 2 is so fucking amazing. Burst mode takes the best part of After Burner Climax and makes the frantic pace actually a bit more manageable.

Plus you got mother fucking RIVAL DOG FIGHTS! That shit wasn't in the original game, nor Climax for that matter. For what they managed to work into the framework of this old game, those fights fit very well. Plus you fight your rival three times, the third time in particular at the very end, so they got some of the rival fight basics down.

Aw man, that sounds awesome, I already picked it up but havnt played it yet. Will do tommorow.

360pages

New Silent hill was amazing, can't wait for tomorrow. Pat is too busy to play Crack with us though.

Also, Extra Creditz did a amazing on making a game, not only that it actually helped spoke to me since I don't show anyone what I wrote until I think it's at a level where it can be decent...even if that is backwards thinking.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Boy I want to buy this SUPER HARD, but it's near the end of the month and I've already hit my "don't waste any more money" point for the month.

I'm definitely going to end up with both this and Outrun eventually, though. Sega 3D Classics are SO GOOD.

Boy I want to buy this SUPER HARD, but it's near the end of the month and I've already hit my "don't waste any more money" point for the month.

I'm definitely going to end up with both this and Outrun eventually, though. Sega 3D Classics are SO GOOD.
I'm tempted to check out 3D Space Harrier and Galaxy Force II, though it's better for me to space out these purchases. Six bucks per game can add up quickly over time.

And I'm so pumped for 3D OutRun, more specifically the possibilities of what else they could add on top of it. A remix mode similar to After Burner's would be more than enough.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm tempted to check out 3D Space Harrier and Galaxy Force II, though it's better for me to space out these purchases. Six bucks per game can add up quickly over time.

And I'm so pumped for 3D OutRun, more specifically the possibilities of what else they could add on top of it. A remix mode similar to After Burner's would be more than enough.

Outrun doesn't have any new modes. Just a looooooot of options. Nothing like After Burner's arrange mode or anything, though.

Galaxy Force II is SUPER worth it, though. Get it. And also Shinobi III. Which has retroactively ruined all other Shinobi III releases for me, since it has a new control setting which gives you dedicated sword and block buttons. It's the way Shinobi III SHOULD be played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom