• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 11: COMP! COMP! COMP! COMP! C-O-M-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenfalcia

proxy.jpg

YO SON WE WORLDWIDE!

Worldwide bestfriends who support literal child murdering. The best.

Skrams

I'm not quoting anything, I was asking a question.

But what if the dub is really good? I always give the dub a try first, then if I can't take it I go to the subs.

I usually figure the sub is always better unless someone has yelled about the dub being stupid and great.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh~!

After 5000 months I'm free! It's time to conquer threads!!!

Hi anyone, long time lurker, first time poster who literally got approved today. It's gonna be either a wild ride or simply a thing.

It's mostly a thing.

I don't know what you're quoting, but here's the answer: Always watch everything in its original language.

Nah

Golden Boy is better in English than Japanese. Some shit has hilariously awful dubs that make it better than what the original product would of even been. Some Jackie Chan movies just become way better.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Mara is right, good dub or not you should always watch it in it's native language. Otherwise it's just a watered down experience, unless the original is shit tier. Plus it's about music, do you want to hear the song that was made for Japanese in English?

I have the DVD, and funimation or whoever made the bright idea of redubbing the music and making literally unable to switch the songs to being sung in Japanese.

Alfebit

Banned
Mara is right, good dub or not you should always watch it in it's native language. Otherwise it's just a watered down experience, unless the original is shit tier. Plus it's about music, do you want to hear the song that was made for Japanese in English?
They don't dub over any of the songs. They just start singing in Japanese.

Really? Watch baccano in english and tell me it worse than sub.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
That was one of the biggest problems I had with StB. It was just...so damn bland and formulaic. Virtually no surprises save for that one arc near the end that was kinda interesting but then ended up being the same shit as usual.

Yeeeep. Like, I didn't mind the fanservice, for the most part, but the harem shit just got so old after a while. Koujou's basically "dense harem protag #247, but this time he's a vampire too!". Guh.

Honestly the "blatant yaoi-bait" character (Vatler) was the best part of the show somehow.
If a show is blatantly Ecchi with no other redeeming factors (dumb Harem shows a la Oh My Goddess! and Strike The Blood) I hate fanservice. I can deal with fanservice in Code Geass, but only because the rest of it is so good.

True, but I always try dub first. Cause if I wanted to read an anime id get the manga.
iXqx7IYhW2vPi.png

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh~!
After 5000 months I'm free! It's time to conquer threads!!!
Hi anyone, long time lurker, first time poster who literally got approved today. It's gonna be either a wild ride or simply a thing.
Welcome!
Admittedly, I havent bought a shirt from Shark Robut yet, but I need to buy up some of those sick posters.
I feel bad about that myself. That Gurren poster is damn tempting, but I'd really like a cool shirt, but it kinda want a simple design.

I'm picky.

demidar

What's wrong with OG language? There are usually rare exceptions, but usually original is the best.

If you're reading subs, it's still a watered down experience because you're relying on the translator's interpretation of the language. It is less watered down than full-on dubbing though.

I'd like for everything to be localized. The only reason I fall back on subs is because it's way faster than full-on dubbing (with respect to the animus and mangoes).

Addendum: Sometimes subs only with native voiceover is the best way, such as the Yakuza series.

Ilvocare

Thank you everyone, I honestly didn't expect such a warm welcome so fast. But yeah, joined here because I have an irrational fear of social media but I'm fine with making posts once in a while.

Of course, I entered a crash course in the boundaries of Neogaf and did my initial time, so that happened.

And yeah, when I say "lurking" I don't mean reading every post on every page. Even I'm not that insane yet.

inb4 I ruin it all with opinions about whatever

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oh and also I lost my shit at the ending of StB where it's implied that
Kojou has kids with both Himeragi and Asagi
. :looooooooool wat

Oh yeah, and how could I forget. "No sempai, this is our fight!" EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Thank you everyone, I honestly didn't expect such a warm welcome so fast. But yeah, joined here because I have an irrational fear of social media but I'm fine with making posts once in a while.

Of course, I entered a crash course in the boundaries of Neogaf and did my initial time, so that happened.

And yeah, when I say "lurking" I don't mean reading every post on every page. Even I'm not that insane yet.

Good thing you just missed EvaGAF.

Oh and also I lost my shit at the ending of StB where it's implied that
Kojou has kids with both Himeragi and Asagi
. :looooooooool wat

Oh yeah, and how could I forget. "No sempai, this is our fight!" EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.
I know you are literally a super powerful vampire, but I need to protect you because I don't fucking care or know why!

That's a wholly different thing. I'd watch a shit show in dubs as well for a comedic factor, but that's because they'd be incredibly terrible.Ok. I should have clarified that I meant "Always watch subs if they seem to be somewhat similar in quality". If the sub for something is somehow terrible, then go for dub. Other than that, go sub.I should not have said always. There are exceptions, but that's what they are. Exceptions.
You can't watch Ghost Stories in subs. You just can't.

I honestly think that poster looks kinda... Ehhhhh. I'd rather just hang another Gurren poster in my apartment.

Also, I only hang framed posters, so I'm super selective as to what I get, since it's pretty expensive.
In all seriousness, yeah, I see where you're coming from. I'm even more picky with shirts, especially when it's like $20+ a pop like geez.

GET AN AVATAR JUNIOR!

Mathaou

legacy of cane
I honestly think that poster looks kinda... Ehhhhh. I'd rather just hang another Gurren poster in my apartment.

Also, I only hang framed posters, so I'm super selective as to what I get, since it's pretty expensive.
wholesale-the-legend-of-zelda-25th-anniversary.jpg

I have a framed 9 foot long zelda mural. It looks fucking sick.

ultimax

Ok. I should have clarified that I meant "Always watch subs if they seem to be somewhat similar in quality". If the sub for something is somehow terrible, then go for dub. Other than that, go sub.I should not have said always. There are exceptions, but that's what they are. Exceptions.
Okay, thats a more reasonable thing to say. Because wether ppl like it or not, there are dubs that are infinitely better than the subs, such as berserk or fate/zero. I don't mind watching in either language, but I just go with whatever sounds better.
THE GURREN ONE THO
I want that one so much

Skrams

Welcome, remember you're here forever. I never understand how people can lurk our threads of nothingness.. are we that entertaining?

I like to know the people I'm going to talk to before joining. If I'm sitting and waiting for 4 months for my account to get approved then I'll probably read the thread just to see the personalities of the people there. Like seeing that Aaron loves him some japanese animes and that he has no dignity. It's pretty much lore.

True, but I always try dub first. Cause if I wanted to read an anime id get the manga.

If I was given the choice of a Kill La Kill manga or the dub while the sub was wiped from existence then what the fuck. Half the reason I love that show is for the great music and you're missing a fucking lot of audio sensory things when you read a manga instead. It's a case by case thing for which anime lives up to the manga or not, but still. Git gud at reading.

Zenfalcia

Really? Watch baccano in english and tell me it worse than sub.

it's worst than sub
i'm joking, both were good.
If you're reading subs, it's still a watered down experience because you're relying on the translator's interpretation of the language. It is less watered down than full-on dubbing though.

I'd like for everything to be localized. The only reason I fall back on subs is because it's way faster than full-on dubbing (with respect to the animus and mangoes).

Addendum: Sometimes subs only with native voiceover is the best way, such as the Yakuza series.

I really like the native voice over, since they usually do a great job at casting the characters. Some dubs don't do it as well, and who doesn't love engrish.

There's also some cultural things that just sound awful in english.. I-idiot! Just doesn't roll off the tongue as well as B-baka. Although too many desu's will ruin the anime broth.

I understand the sentiment of watering down.. especially when i hear, someone say a name and the name isn't even right in the subs. CRUNCHY ROLL!!!!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yeah, fuck cartoons.

I binged super hard on anime between like, 2012 and 2013.

Everything on my MAL was watched in that timeframe, with a few exceptions (mostly the old stuff like Vampire Hunter D and Akira that I watched when I was younger).

There's a ton of stuff on there I really, really loved (Nichijou, Toradora, Hidamari Sketch, Idolmaster, K-ON!, etc), but I think I just watched too much too fast and got suuuuuuuper burnt out.

(Also the "watching" section is horribly out of date. I haven't watched anything in like 6-8 months.)

(I'm sorry to keep this subject going)
Absolutely. You're still losing something by subbing it as well, but the loss is far less than what would occur if you were to dub it. If I could, I'd rather just watch it without subs, but I cannot speak nor understand the Japanese language, so subs are more out of necessity.
This was my stance on it for a good while, but some dubs are equivalent to subs to a degree where I can at least see people choosing hearing good performances over accuracy.

My friends will only watch dubs, so they've made me watch entire shows that way. Some I actually like.

Gurren Dub sucks tho.

Zenfalcia

I can't get into those things if I'm only paying attention to a bunch of words at the bottom of the screen.

Read fast and then enjoy the animations afterwords.
I like to know the people I'm going to talk to before joining. If I'm sitting and waiting for 4 months for my account to get approved then I'll probably read the thread just to see the personalities of the people there. Like seeing that Aaron loves him some japanese animes and that he has no dignity. It's pretty much lore.

That is reasonable. Especially when you don't read every page you can get a good handle on everyone's personality

demidar

I really like the native voice over, since they usually do a great job at casting the characters. Some dubs don't do it as well, and who doesn't love engrish.

There's also some cultural things that just sound awful in english.. I-idiot! Just doesn't roll off the tongue as well as B-baka. Although too many desu's will ruin the anime broth.

I understand the sentiment of watering down.. especially when i hear, someone say a name and the name isn't even right in the subs. CRUNCHY ROLL!!!!

Yeah, some things just aren't translatable, such as the whole senpai-kouhai thing (or honorifics in general). It sounds weird in English, which is why it requires so damn good localization to convey the meaning of what's spoken rather than the literal words.

No but their names are clearly not Oingo and Boingo! What do you mean it's rather there on the cover? Shut up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom