• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 11: COMP! COMP! COMP! COMP! C-O-M-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Read fast and then enjoy the animations afterwords.

That is reasonable. Especially when you don't read every page you can get a good handle on everyone's personality

I'd love someone to just sit in this thread for a month and just write analysis's of all of us based off our posts.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
All that said about being burnt out on anime, as soon as a new Hidamari Sketch season is announced, I'll be right back in. My life feels empty without Hidamari. ;_;

hidamari_sketch.jpg

ultimax

I acknowledge exceptions, though I don't know what that is.

I haven't seen either, but I'm sure there are shows that end up being voiced terribly only to have the dub be done better. I just generally go sub whenever I can (outside of some terribly subbed shows) due to before mentioned loss during translation.
Woof, you should watch those shows reguardless of language, they're both great. I do encourage the dub tho
(I'm sorry to keep this subject going)
My friends will only watch dubs, so they've made me watch entire shows that way. Some I actually like.

Gurren Sub sucks tho.
FTFY

Zenfalcia

Alright this thread's moving too fast for me and I should get ready for bed since it's already 7am. Good Morning, frienders.

Gotta go fast, sanic.
Yeah, some things just aren't translatable, such as the whole senpai-kouhai thing (or honorifics in general). It sounds weird in English, which is why it requires so damn good localization to convey the meaning of what's spoken rather than the literal words.

No but their names are clearly not Oingo and Boingo! What do you mean it's rather there on the cover? Shut up!

Especially jokes or puns. Those sre the worst without translation notes to explain. I prefer the sub voice over of senpai and kouhai after watching so much anime that i know a little about the language. The english localizations can be good sometimes, but often it's pretty rough.

No it isn't tho!
Yeah, I'm going to bed too.

Night Frienders.

Night.

Zenfalcia

Good morning nocturnal shameless man.

Ditto.

wait.. you're going to sleep now?
I'd love someone to just sit in this thread for a month and just write analysis's of all of us based off our posts.

Who would even be crazy enough to do that?
All that said about being burnt out on anime, as soon as a new Hidamari Sketch season is announced, I'll be right back in. My life feels empty without Hidamari. ;_;

Hidamari will get you back into anime. Believe it.

Ilvocare

Good thing you just missed EvaGAF.

I actually didn't though. Depression discussions were everywhere last night, and I kinda fast-forwarded through it. That's not to say I didn't catch the gist of it.
GET AN AVATAR JUNIOR!

nah
I'll get on it soon-ish.

Also yeah holy shit this thread is moving at the speed of light, I can't reply to everything. Also I have uni class in like 50 minutes so I'll probably not be able to reply to things until then.

Not gonna be watching Berserk, I'll be reading it.
Watching Berserk after you've read it is totally cool. Especially the movies, since while they follow more closely, they leave out key scenes and are more of a companion to the manga. The 90s anime takes some liberties, but is also pretty damn fantastic and nails the tone, and that dub is actually really really good.

Seeing some of what happened animated just... Woof.

I'm not a fan of moe in anime.

I'm sure it serves it's purpose in certain art styles/narratives, but I just see too much of it in certain sub-genres of the medium.

croten

I actually didn't though. Depression discussions were everywhere last night, and I kinda fast-forwarded through it. That's not to say I didn't catch the gist of it.

nah
I'll get on it soon-ish.

Also yeah holy shit this thread is moving at the speed of light, I can't reply to everything. Also I have uni class in like 50 minutes so I'll probably not be able to reply to things until then.

This isn't even the fast period junior. Wait until it get's late, that's when things pick up.

Zenfalcia

Oh I know. I'll be jumping back in for the second season of Kiniro Mosaic in April, as well.

There was also gochuu something usagi cafe if you didn't already watch that already and tons of other animes you might not have watched. If you haven't watched non non biyori, you should. If you have, Nyanpasu!

Ilvocare

This isn't even the fast period junior. Wait until it get's late, that's when things pick up.

I've lurked in like 4 OTs now, I know the fast period is late afternoon/before midnight (i.e. when SBFP post their videos). I just skip the 20 pages that result from that after like not looking for an hour.

yeah I use 50ppp, fight me
my Internet needs the breathing room since I open up more tabs during the day than I care to admit

demidar

"Mom? What's going on?"
"Come rub my nipples."
"Excuse me?"

"You wanna be an airforce ranger! You wanna live a life of danger! You don't wanna get raped by strangers!"

*small kid is running laps*
Trainer: THINK OF A BIG BLACK MAN CHASING YOU!
*Kid falls over in exhaustion"
Trainer: Well, he's not racist.

This dub is the best dub I have ever seen...or heard.

Gag dubs are the best.

That includes the Abridged series so you know I'm right.

Skrams

Has anyone else here seen "Too Many Cooks"?

If you haven't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGrOK8oZG8

You need to watch the full video. Dont give up on it. Trust me. It isn't something you can get a feel for within the first few minutes.

Also don't skip forward if you get bored. Just lame it out. Trust me.

I would hope people here have. One of the podcasts was called "SBFC 066: YOU WON’T GET IT UNLESS YOU’VE SEEN “TOO MANY COOKS”"

Zenfalcia

"Mom? What's going on?"
"Come rub my nipples."
"Excuse me?"

"You wanna be an airforce ranger! You wanna live a life of danger! You don't wanna get raped by strangers!"

*small kid is running laps*
Trainer: THINK OF A BIG BLACK MAN CHASING YOU!
*Kid falls over in exhaustion"
Trainer: Well, he's not racist.

This dub is the best dub I have ever seen...or heard.

it's pretty great.

If you haven't.

You need to watch the full video. Dont give up on it. Trust me. It isn't something you can get a feel for within the first few minutes.

Beaten like months ago.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
There was also gochuu something usagi cafe if you didn't already watch that already and tons of other animes you might not have watched. If you haven't watched non non biyori, you should. If you have, Nyanpasu!

Oh yes, "Is the Order a Rabbit?" I believe is the English title. The only Manga Time Kirara anime of the last few years I haven't yet watched. Definitely something I'm interested in seeing. Kirara has never let me down before.

NNB, eh...that one never caught my interest, although the gifs are pretty adorable.

If you haven't.

Literally everyone has seen Too Many Cooks at this point.

I just looked up a scene subbed and I will admit, it's great (especially viral), but saying its manlier than the english voice is simply false
If I didn't just absolutely adore Gurren I'd probably stop whining about the discrepancies and say dub is fine, but I love it. I love it too much.

Duplolas

Banned
You must be new here.

Also morning all.

I haven't been part of the last like 4 threads. But I was there earlier on.

I'm like the less successful brother who visits his younger brother and then stays for longer than he should only to leave without a trace
JUST LIKE DAD
only to reemerge
NOT LIKE MY DAD
to do it all over again.

Well, I watched the season premiere of Justified last night and woof, shit's getting dark.
Rest in peace Dewey, you poor, stupid bastard.

Zenfalcia

I would hope people here have. One of the podcasts was called "SBFC 066: YOU WON’T GET IT UNLESS YOU’VE SEEN “TOO MANY COOKS”"

I think we also had a thread title about too many cooks.
Oh yes, "Is the Order a Rabbit?" I believe is the English title. The only Manga Time Kirara anime of the last few years I haven't yet watched. Definitely something I'm interested in seeing. Kirara has never let me down before.

NNB, eh...that one never caught my interest, although the gifs are pretty adorable.

Literally everyone has seen Too Many Cooks at this point.
Yes, it's pretty cute. Some shoujo ai, but that's kinda to be expected.

Non non biyori seems like your cup of tea. Watch a few episodes when you have the time.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
No, the original was a serious and dull kids' horror show. The dubbing company said "FUCK YOU BITCH, YOU SO BASIC, I DO WHAT I WANT!" and got away with it

And then the same guy was put in charge of the High School of the Dead dub. Which gave us lines like "Who does this bitch think she is, fuckin' Sarah Palin?".

So, you know. Nobody bats 1.000, I guess.

Zenfalcia

And then the same guy was put in charge of the High School of the Dead dub. Which gave us lines like "Who does this bitch think she is, fuckin' Sarah Palin?".

So, you know. Nobody bats 1.000, I guess.

Well, different types of animes require different types of dialogue.. especially highschool of the Double D.

edit: Shameful dp.

ultimax

If I didn't just absolutely adore Gurren I'd probably stop whining about the discrepancies and say dub is fine, but I love it. I love it too much.
Both languages are great. and nobody is wrong for going with either, which a lot of people fail to realize. I try to be as unbiased as possible. i actually really like the sub for gurren, But when it comes to Kamina himself...dat English is too stronk

Both languages are great. and nobody is wrong for going with either, which a lot of people fail to realize. I try to be as unbiased as possible. i actually really like the sub for gurren, But when it comes to Kamina himself...dat English is too stronk
English sure as hell doesn't ruin the show like some people COUGH COUGH might say, I just really prefer how the Japanese VA handle some moments.

If it was an actual bad dub, I'd tell people stay away. Currently, I just favor one a lot.

croten

*talking about a dead rabbit pet*
Girl: When he died I was so sad I would never hear that voice again! His laugh...
Rabbit: hehehehe
Girl: His requests...
Rabbit: Touch me.
Girl: His reprimands...
Rabbit: Touch me harder!

Girl: Shirotabe, please forgive me for bringing you back to life! I know now that it could never work between us! Not because you're a rabbit, but because you're black!

His babies? Oh jeez I guess now is a good a time as any...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom