• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 11: COMP! COMP! COMP! COMP! C-O-M-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrams

It took 7 parts, but they finally learned
the magical ability of hitting the Y button. I still loved how the bullshitted through the sparkies jump part, hit the wall, and then gasped when they couldn't go back.
It was worth it.

Oberon

Banned
Oh. It's an assist fighting game. Hm. Yeah sorry I could care less about those kind of fighting games, except for SG.

And even then. I might use an assist rarely in that game, otherwise I always go one.

Then be more aggressive. Use your own assists.

It's SG tho, and I don't like using assists. It's seems kind of unfair to me.

Is is too early for realgaf? What time is is in prison?

Is is too early for realgaf? What time it is in prison?
There are no unblockable in SGs. When a move hits both high and low at the same time and you blocked, It will let you block them. Just git gud and maybe use the pushback block.

SG is a very tough game to git gud at since you can be hit into full health bar combos, especially when you're fighting someone with less assists than you. I found that you can be a lot more mobile in SG than other fight games, so back stepping helps a lot and so does being aggressive in the air. SG is a much different beast than normal fighting games.

Shackzam

There are no unblockables in skullgirls because of the way blocking works in that game. If you blocked the overhead first then you would automatically block as well. You can use push block as a way to block a mix up because you are put into a blocking state and would automatically block anything after push blocking. But push blocking an assist is not the same thing as push blocking the active character. Push blocking an assist usually leads to more blockstun and gives your opponent more time to do more mix-ups. Skullgirls helped me with blocking, you can ask guardian how long I'm able to block his mix ups now, you feel like a badass after blocking so many mix-ups.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

These are tools that you both you and your opponent have. How could it possibly be unfair?

There are no unblockables in skullgirls because of the way blocking works in that game. If you blocked the overhead first then you would automatically block as well. You can use push block as a way to block a mix up because you are put into a blocking state and would automatically block anything after push blocking. But push blocking an assist is not the same thing as push blocking the active character. Push blocking an assist usually leads to more blockstun and gives your opponent more time to do more mix-ups. Skullgirls helped me with blocking, you can ask guardian how long I'm able to block his mix ups now, you feel like a badass after blocking so many mix-ups.

Yep, there's autoguarding with pushblocks, so a well timed pushblock can eliminate part of the reaction game required to properly defend an assault. This is the same for Marvel. These little things are tools that give you more defensive options than in a game without offensive assists. And Shack's probably able to block my groundstrings longer than anyone else in the thread.

Marvel 3 has "unblockables", and while some people might consider them unfair, I love them. They usually require a set-up or a team based around this trap. If you're not using tools available to you, then you're not playing the same game as your opponent.

SG is a very tough game to git gud at since you can be hit into full health bar combos, especially when you're fighting someone with less assists than you. I found that you can be a lot more mobile in SG than other fight games, so back stepping helps a lot and so does being aggressive in the air. SG is a much different beast than normal fighting games.

Skullgirls is a lot like Marvel 2. MikeZ essentially modeled a lot of things after the game. Full health combos in SG really aren't all that common unless you're in a lopsided ratio match. You're usually looking at a reset somewhere because the infinite prevention system was designed to limit this. Even if there is a full health combo, that's one of your characters, not your entire team.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Because Obie doesn't know shit about how to use his assists

Well, that's another thing. Proper assist usage is a skill. If you don't use your assists right, you'll get happy birthday'd and lose two characters. It's not something that people naturally think about in fighting games, so it takes some getting used to.

Jman014

Got bored and decided to visit my old high school while I'm still home from college. Reconfirmed that I was a cool guy back in the day, and also that fuck high school, it's the worst.

High school wasn't great for me either

or just fuck that highschool of yours in particular.

semisonic

Banned
High school wasn't great for me either

or just fuck that highschool of yours in particular.

Little bit of column A, little bit of column 2. Didn't really have so much of a bad time in high school as it seems largely useless looking back. Especially senior year. All it was was waiting for college.

Oberon

Banned
I have a really hard time fighting Valentine. I try to block all her attacks, but then she uses an izuna drop on! How do you fight an enemy like this?

I really wish I could git gud at SF4's combo system, but I'm just so shit at putting strings together.

I tried to do combos for Ryu in training and I cant do them. It blows.

I can mash out Special moves and EX and Ultra moves, but putting together a coherent combo is frustrating for me.

Hungry. And I have class for the next 5 hours. Then I have a morning class tomorrow and have to go straight to work for 11 hours ;_;

The next two days are gonna suck. But an ultimax FNF might make it better WOOLIE
Good luck with your butt!
I really wish I could git gud at SF4's combo system, but I'm just so shit at putting strings together.
I can mash out Special moves and EX and Ultra moves, but putting together a coherent combo is frustrating for me.
That's true for most people, and I've found that (as a newbie) SF4 is one of the most punishing in terms of timing and execution.

You might want to try a fighting game with more input leniency.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

SF4 is designed so that if you try to mash, you can't get real combos with links. It actually won't let you link or cancel attacks if you chain LPs or LKs together rather than link them at the start. It's less about remembering how things string together, it's more about timing and execution.

I didnt rotate my saves

It's alright. I wouldn't have either. Try loading up your last one and see if you can't save some time?

You might want to try a fighting game with more input leniency.

I have a better time with MvC games and Smash, but I'd also like to be able to play competently in one of the biggest fighting game franchises in the world.

SF4 is designed so that if you try to mash, you can't get real combos with links. It actually won't let you link or cancel attacks if you chain LPs or LKs together rather than link them at the start. It's less about remembering how things string together, it's more about timing and execution.

How would I improve my timing? Training doesn't seem to help me in that regard.

Jman014

Hungry. And I have class for the next 5 hours. Then I have a morning class tomorrow and have to go straight to work for 11 hours ;_;

The next two days are gonna suck. But an ultimax FNF might make it better WOOLIE

Look for snack machine on campus! Mine has some but I don't know if yours does.

Emouse

Probably not at full price/on release, but yes. I'd like to get a... Ahem... Grip... on DOA5 for the first time.

From what I've seen it seems to be cheaper than most games on release, probably due to it being a re-release/collection? I've never played a DOA game either but it looks like fun

I have Last Round pre-ordered on PC. I haven't decided if I'm getting it for PS4 yet.

Nice, I'm getting it on PS4 because my PC won't handle it

joe2187

Banned
It's alright. I wouldn't have either. Try loading up your last one and see if you can't save some time?

It was a speed run and I was confident I got the mansion down, however I made a mistake where I forgot about the puzzle box on my way to the labs and it fucked me over. I tried to go back and do it over but I only shaved off a few seconds .

I dont mind, Im going to go through with a speedrun guide this time and use chris with the knife only to finish it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom