• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 11: COMP! COMP! COMP! COMP! C-O-M-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Played the demo. It handled okay.

Maybe I'd be a little better with a stick? I dunno if that would solve my timing with inputs.

The common misconception is a stick will make you better. It won't. It'll probably make you worse at first. It won't help you with the timing of your inputs. At most, it'll help with your motion execution, precision, and speed.

That said, getting a stick isn't a bad idea or anything. It's just what people tend to jump to as the reason why they can't execute when it's really not the case.

How would I improve my timing? Training doesn't seem to help me in that regard.

You need to change your approach to training mode. There aren't dial-a-combos or gattlings in SFIV outside of very specific characters with target combos. Most combos you see people perform work because of the frame data associated with the moves. You don't really have to concern yourself with the actual frame data, but that's what determines what normals can be combo'd into other normals.

There are two types of combos, and this is true of any fighter. Cancels and links. Cancels are performed when you cancel the recovery animation of a move into another move. An example of this would be Ryu's c.MK into Hadoken. You're canceling the recovery of the c.MK into the Hadoken if you perform the Hadoken as the c.MK hits. 1-2. Bam, bam. 2 hit combo.

Links are more difficult to do because they require stricter timing. For example, Ryu has a 1-frame link combo that goes c.LP, c.LP., c.LP. c.HK. You could just shorten it to c.LP->c.HK for the sake of this test since that's the 1-frame link. That's a 1-frame link because c.LP leaves you had a 5-frame advantage after recovery and a c.HK starts up in 5 frames. You have 1 frame to actually connect the c.HK.

The only thing that will help your timing is practice. When you see a combo example on screen, and you try to perform it, watch what happens. In the above example, when you pressed c.HK, did nothing come out? That means you pressed c.HK too early. Did the c.HK get blocked or not combo? Then you pressed c.HK too late.

Whatever you do, don't mash. It won't help your timing at all.

You need to change your approach to training mode. There aren't dial-a-combos or gattlings in SFIV outside of very specific characters with target combos. Most combos you see people perform work because of the frame data associated with the moves. You don't really have to concern yourself with the actual frame data, but that's what determines what normals can be combo'd into other normals.

There are two types of combos, and this is true of any fighter. Cancels and links. Cancels are performed when you cancel the recovery animation of a move into another move. An example of this would be Ryu's c.MK into Hadoken. You're canceling the recovery of the c.MK into the Hadoken if you perform the Hadoken as the c.MK hits. 1-2. Bam, bam. 2 hit combo.

Links are more difficult to do because they require stricter timing. For example, Ryu has a 1-frame link combo that goes c.LP, c.LP., c.LP. c.HK. You could just shorten it to c.LP->c.HK for the sake of this test since that's the 1-frame link. That's a 1-frame link because c.LP leaves you had a 5-frame advantage after recovery and a c.HK starts up in 5 frames. You have 1 frame to actually connect the c.HK.

Whatever you do, don't mash. It won't help your timing at all.

I'm taking notes. Now I understand why frame data is so important to tournament players.

The only thing that will help your timing is practice. When you see a combo example on screen, and you try to perform it, watch what happens. In the above example, when you pressed c.HK, did nothing come out? That means you pressed c.HK too early. Did the c.HK get blocked or not combo? Then you pressed c.HK too late.

Most of the time past my first attack, the second attack was blocked by the computer. So that means my timing is too slow?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Most of the time past my first attack, the second attack was blocked by the computer. So that means my timing is too slow?

Yes, that's exactly what it means. It means that the move came out, but it was too slow to connect after your first attack.

If nothing comes out at all, that means Ryu (or whatever character) was still in the animation of the first move, so the second move didn't even start. It was too early.

semisonic

Banned
P4 Arena was my first non smash fighting game. And I only know how to play Kanji more or less.So I don't have much experience.

Ps. Yeah! I just won my first Online Match!

Oh, then congratulations! I also got into anime fighters from competitive smash (which I still play, though I'm certainly far from a notable player.)
Smash is great to teach movement fundamentals and an aggressive playstyle, so there's certainly something to be carried in there. For me, the hardest thing to understand was the extensive differences of high and low mixup, especially defensively. Took me an equally long time to get my mind around bursts and the like, which I still underuse. You did a good job getting into throw characters. They and rush-downs are easiest to transfer into raw from smash, and you can get to the others later
or never, because fuck keepaways.
Have you gone on dustloop at all? If you've got a basic understanding of FGC terms, particularly in regards to invincibility frames and cancellability, then that's a huuuuge help. Also, I recommend learning what links into supers, if not overall combos. Safe links to supers are key.
Anyways, good luck with the transition. Thar's gold at the end of that rainbow, so I hope you keep with it.

Eh, could be a fun movie. At least they aren't trying to play it straight.

The director never really made anything note worthy and the writer wrote sleeping dogs apparently

old-man-shrugging.jpg

I'm probably over reacting.

Oberon

Banned

I bet i'm someones Waifu on this board....

what's a waifu?

And he calls himself a Friender?

Oh, then congratulations! I also got into anime fighters from competitive smash (which I still play, though I'm certainly far from a notable player.)
Smash is great to teach movement fundamentals and an aggressive playstyle, so there's certainly something to be carried in there. For me, the hardest thing to understand was the extensive differences of high and low mixup, especially defensively. Took me an equally long time to get my mind around bursts and the like, which I still underuse. You did a good job getting into throw characters. They and rush-downs are easiest to transfer into raw from smash, and you can get to the others later
or never, because fuck keepaways.
Have you gone on dustloop at all? If you've got a basic understanding of FGC terms, particularly in regards to invincibility frames and cancellability, then that's a huuuuge help. Also, I recommend learning what links into supers, if not overall combos. Safe links to supers are key.
Anyways, good luck with the transition. Thar's gold at the end of that rainbow, so I hope you keep with it.

I think I'm getting better, I manage to land a super while fighting Shack!

Hey Oberon/Banana, you guys want some King Oyster mushrooms? We just got a shit ton of packs because reasons.

Also daily team hometown representation

Nah man, anime butts or burst

360pages

I find plenty of words used here annoying, but doesn't mean they should be banned. Some flat out insulting other people.

Honestly, Waifu is one of the least offensive ones.

semisonic

Banned
Maybe, but I think he's just mixing up "waifu" with what his actual point was.

The best one.

Yeah, honestly, the constant objectification of women is a bit of a troubling trend overall, but it's been one that's been going on for so long it's difficult to change. Not impossible, but far, far from easy. Waifu got the brunt of it here, despite his point, most likely because a not insignificant portion of the community that uses the word waifu is indeed frequently toxic both in related conversations and towards women overall. This is both a symptom of general confidence in internet anonymity, where it's okay to be a creep because no one would know, and a generally poorer understanding of social skills that is more common to an anime-watching audience, due to the separation of the hobby from the pressure of having to interact with real girls, with real opinions and feelings. It's kind of like maid cafes, generally used by the same audience: It's a safe place to interact with women that won't judge or reject the poor social skills and awkwardness characteristic of the (admittedly somewhat justified, though not universal) stereotype that defines anime nerds. I'd like to try and deny that, but cringe day was only like 2 days ago, and I think we all remember some of the stories we saw there.
Fucking Denko. I'm scarred now, you know.

I feel like this may be out of character coming from me, but it's a serious issue that needs to be addressed at some point before we disregard it for our next waifu war, in which there will once again be no winners, only losers. Namely, the people who like Yukiko. For she is eternally shit.

Shhh....

DMC 3.. is an experience.... When I play it i experience sharp pains in my arm.. like i do when i play kid icarus.

That's not normal is it?

It's an intense game. Did you have pain in your hands or your arms? Because my hands were hurting after a few chapters, similar to how my back starts to hurt after playing fight games on a stick for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom