• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 11: COMP! COMP! COMP! COMP! C-O-M-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

demidar

Well, I'm just getting my Jaggi Armor, I'm still learning. I got to the desert area, and I've never played with anyone online before.

I'm still using Jaggi armour because I don't have the materials to upgrade. I had just enough to make a ludroth breastplate but that's it.

As for where I am, I just got the quest to repel the Lagiacrus.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
I'm still using Jaggi armour because I don't have the materials to upgrade. I had just enough to make a ludroth breastplate but that's it.

As for where I am, I just got the quest to repel the Lagiacrus.

Great Jaggis are a bitch to fight with greatswords (what I use).

How do you join someones world and hunt with them?

Zenfalcia

Here's a list for you to ingest. Take it.
  • Dark Souls
  • Super Metroid
  • Metroid Prime
  • Quake
  • Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix
  • Fallout New Vegas
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
  • Sonic 3 and Knuckles
I didn't want there to be numbers, because then this is all messed up.

No order.

It was way better with them in that order. :p
Please pay us to understand.

I wonder why that happenned, probably because they realized that was a dumb idea.

demidar

Still using the Long Sword?

Yeah. I tried using the switch axe (didn't like it, sword mode mobility too low, kept getting repelled by armour) and bow (didn't feel like I was doing enough damage).

Great Jaggis are a bitch to fight with greatswords (what I use).

How do you join someones world and hunt with them?

I find great swords to unwieldy and slow. I should give dual swords a shot but I like the range and moveset of the long sword.

I tried that, and then I joined a world but then I couldn't find anyone. I'll need to start a private party with someone on here to show me the ropes.
If we wanna set up a hunting party today(?) I should (hopefully?) be free at 1PM EST since my class ends at 12, aka 3 and half hours from now.

Or we could actually plan a proper date.
Yeah. I tried using the switch axe (didn't like it, sword mode mobility too low, kept getting repelled by armour) and bow (didn't feel like I was doing enough damage).
If you're boucing off then it had too low of a sharpness.

croten

I find great swords to unwieldy and slow. I should give dual swords a shot but I like the range and moveset of the long sword.

I've been using Dual Swords recently, I quite like them. Tons of combos

demidar

I thought so too, but I sharpened the switch axe and started attacking and got repelled. It's probably less sharpness and more the directions the swings go through hitting the claws/armour. I was fighting a Royal Ludroth if that means anything. I don't have that problem with long sword because the first two Y attacks are downward slashes and the special attacks don't usually rebound off armour (even though I see the sparks) and the combo continues.

Mathaou

legacy of cane

Yeah, I upgraded my greatsword so it does massive damage and it kills a great jaggi in 5 hits, but if the enemy is fast I just miss and they hit me. It's so fucking slow.

I thought so too, but I sharpened the switch axe and started attacking and got repelled. It's probably less sharpness and more the directions the swings go through hitting the claws/armour. I was fighting a Royal Ludroth if that means anything. I don't have that problem with long sword because the first two Y attacks are downward slashes and the special attacks don't usually rebound off armour (even though I see the sparks) and the combo continues.
No mean the max sharpness on the weapon wasn't high enough. You have to upgrade to increase the limit if you want to hit those parts of the monster. Though a ludroth is a punk bitch, so I wonder how that happened.
Yeah, I upgraded my greatsword so it does massive damage and it kills a great jaggi in 5 hits, but if the enemy is fast I just miss and they hit me. It's so fucking slow.
Git gud. Greatsword is awesome. :p

demidar

No mean the max sharpness on the weapon wasn't high enough. You have to upgrade to increase the limit if you want to hit those parts of the monster. Though a ludroth is a punk bitch, so I wonder how that happened.

Oh that's what you mean. Yeah that's probably the problem, but I don't have the materials to upgrade them so *shrug*.

Rizzi

We're doing top "x" games?

• Lufia II
  • Doom II
  • Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
  • Symphony of the Night
  • Link's Awakening.
  • Dark Souls

Mathaou

legacy of cane
If we wanna set up a hunting party today(?) I should (hopefully?) be free at 1PM EST since my class ends at 12, aka 3 and half hours from now.

Or we could actually plan a proper date.

I got school til 2:40, and I'm not working today, so when are you free later tonight? If you actually want to do this be warned that I literally know nothing of playing online with other people. And I'm also not that far in, I just killed and captured my first bear thing.

I've been using Dual Swords recently, I quite like them. Tons of combos
Hows the damage?

croten

Oh that's what you mean. Yeah that's probably the problem, but I don't have the materials to upgrade them so *shrug*.

Then go get them.
I got school til 2:40, and I'm not working today, so when are you free later tonight? If you actually want to do this be warned that I literally know nothing of playing online with other people. And I'm also not that far in, I just killed and captured my first bear thing.

Hows the damage?

Small but fast, I hate winding up long attacks with slow weapons only to miss so I like that I do some amount of damage each hit.

My all time Top 10(no order):

Earthbound
FF6
Super Metroid
SM RPG
Spiderman(PSX)
Super Mario 64
LoZ: Ocarina of Time
Final Fantasy Tactics
Resident Evil 4
Metal Gear Solid

But it's sooooo sloooooooow! Plus I'm doing just fine.

I wish I could fight 10 monsters at the same time.
That would cut down gathering time.
Heheheheh.
I'm free any time after 1 I thiiiink. Hopefully nothing comes up, but I haven't set up my Wii U yet so I'll have to triple check everything works.

360pages

Top 10 Favorite games as of right now.

Sonic 3&K
StarFox 64
Pokémon Gold/Silver
Devil May Cry 3
Tales of Symphonia
EO3
Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3
Rayman Legends
Super Smash Bros Melee/4
Mario Kart Double Dash

This isn't in any specific order

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Man FF14 makes the most hype ass trailers for patch updates.

What other games have ads trailers that got you guys extremely hyped for a game or made you buy a game you otherwise never would have?
Fantasy Life. I wanted Runescape X Animal Crossing and it was pretty fun but the replayability was low and the story was really uninteresting.

I'm free any time after 1 I thiiiink. Hopefully nothing comes up, but I haven't set up my Wii U yet so I'll have to triple check everything works.

Get going! I'm getting hyped now because I haven't played MH3U since I got Persona Q.

Then go get them.

Small but fast, I hate winding up long attacks with slow weapons only to miss so I like that I do some amount of damage each hit.
Yeah, but that takes too long and they don't have ridiculous power. My greatsword knocks Bears on their backs.

croten

Fantasy Life. I wanted Runescape X Animal Crossing and it was pretty fun but the replayability was low and the story was really uninteresting.

Get going! I'm getting hyped now because I haven't played MH3U since I got Persona Q.

Yeah, but that takes too long and they don't have ridiculous power. My greatsword knocks Bears on their backs.

Yeah but knocking dragons on their backs is a little harder

Man FF14 makes the most hype ass trailers for patch updates.

What other games have ads trailers that got you guys extremely hyped for a game or made you buy a game you otherwise never would have?
I don't think an ad has ever sold me on a video game. I always look at gameplay if something has interested me. Maybe as a kid when you are more susceptible to them I did but I can't for the life of me remember what one those games might be.

Yeah but knocking dragons on their backs is a little harder
The actual answer is to git gud, and abuse roll cancelling and blocking with Greatsword. Hammer you actually have some surprising mobility, and a R button tap is basically a dash.

Greatsword is amazing for slicing shit, Hammer you hit the face till you get a KO.

The cool thing about MH is how balanced all the weapons are though.

demidar

By the way, I finished listening to the podcast. Liam telling everyone that they should go download Immaterial and Missing power is really bad, because that's piracy. These official Touhou games aren't free to download, they come on discs that you get from exchanging money.

By the way, I finished listening to the podcast. Liam telling everyone that they should go download Immaterial and Missing power is really bad, because that's piracy. These official Touhou games aren't free to download, they come on discs that you get from exchanging money.

Does he know that it's piracy?

360pages

Yeah, plus Scarlet Weather Rhapsody is better.

Like I can get it if it's a fan game and it's hard as hell to get your hands on. (Battle Moon Wars) but Touhou games tend to be pretty easy to find as a recall.

Beloved

I tend to distrust theatrical game trailers pretty hard these days, because so often they show elements that aren't even in the game, or are dramatically changed before launch, and look way more polished/hype than the game itself. It's just setting you up for disappointment.

By a hype gameplay trailer can sell me on a game for sure.

Are they actually licensed in the west? Isn't there some weird grey area for things not licensed outside of Japan, for things like anime and manga? Maybe I'm just making up bullshit again.

I guess I got to do that Top Ten thing:

Deus Ex.
Final Fantasy VI.
Metal Gear Solid 3.
Third Strike.
Capcom vs. SNK 2.
Grisaia no Kajitsu.
Baldur's Gate (I'm counting the whole series as 1).
Fallout.
Tekken Tag 2.

demidar

Does he know that it's piracy?

Probably not. Most people think "They're just really good free games like Cave Story!" but that's not the case. Ignorance isn't a good excuse for advocating piracy.

Yeah, plus Scarlet Weather Rhapsody is better.

Like I can get it if it's a fan game and it's hard as hell to get your hands on. (Battle Moon Wars) but Touhou games tend to be pretty easy to find as a recall.

Why not just go all the way and get Hisoutensoku? You can play as everyone's favourite idiot! (Although I am aware that it only comes with 3 characters. You need the previous game to import previous characters)

I think a good attempt needs to be made to find proper copies, but I'm not sure of the inventory of the bajillion fangames out there. I'll leave it up to the discretion of the individual in question.

croten

The actual answer is to git gud, and abuse roll cancelling and blocking with Greatsword. Hammer you actually have some surprising mobility, and a R button tap is basically a dash.

Greatsword is amazing for slicing shit, Hammer you hit the face till you get a KO.

I know but I like fast weapons

I tend to distrust theatrical game trailers pretty hard these days, because so often they show elements that aren't even in the game, or are dramatically changed before launch, and look way more polished/hype than the game itself. It's just setting you up for disappointment.

By a hype gameplay trailer can sell me on a game for sure

Sounds like the Dead Island trailer all over again.

360pages

I think those Screen Shots of Mighty No.9 are probably from the 3DS and Vita version.

With ALL that said, I'm not feeling what I'm looking, this game legit has 4000000 million dollars pumped into it, more than some 60$ releases, yet I get the feeling that it's being somewhat half assed, or at least doesn't have the game feel and polish it should have.

Mathaou

legacy of cane

That greatsword horizontal slice is so good. If there are a bunch of weak mobs in front of you like those little jaggis, and you use the slice, you can kill them all in one hit, then chain into a crushing slash.

I know but I like fast weapons
Yeah, I'm just being defensive. DB and LS are really solid weapons.
I think those Screen Shots of Mighty No.9 are probably from the 3DS and Vita version.

With ALL that said, I'm not feeling what I'm looking, this game legit has 4000000 million dollars pumped into it, more than some 60$ releases, yet I get the feeling that it's being somewhat half assed, or at least doesn't have the game feel and polish it should have.
Like I think I said last time, I don't really wanna judge till I get hands on and play a few levels, but I'm not exactly digging how it looks either.
That greatsword horizontal slice is so good. If there are a bunch of weak mobs in front of you like those little jaggis, and you use the slice, you can kill them all in one hit, then chain into a crushing slash.
It feels so much like a Dark Souls weapon with the overhead and the crowd control move. The backslash from hitting X+A isn't bad either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom