• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 11: COMP! COMP! COMP! COMP! C-O-M-P

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually like the Yugioh Card Game, I don't play it or collect the cards or even watch the anime, but whenever I'm in a situation where I'm playing a virtual version or whatever, it's still fun.

I played a few games among friends in elementary school. It's still a fun card game to play on occasion. I enjoyed going through the GBA game and the Dungeon Dice Game.

That's EXACTLY what Pat went through. The only card game he cared about was Triple Triad and he didn't care for card games and now he's nose-deep in crack.

Too much of a time sink tbh.

Xiraiya

Watching Alien Isolation, I recently had a realization that TLOU or at least the engine it uses (With some tweaking of course) could honestly become an amazing basis for modern survival horror games.

Not RE4 etc. I mean literal PSX Survival Horror modernized, giving the same sort of feeling that player gimping and tank controls gave us, but in a more sensible and somewhat accessible way that still gives the player that sensation from that era of horror games.

Then, I was thinking about it some more, and I was pointing out to Beloved how there are a lot things in AI that remind me of how TLOU worked, only slower and in first person, and I realized, you could make an incredible Dino Crisis game out of AI that actually gives you that feeling the old games did and those tense JP-like moments.

Watching Alien Isolation, I recently had a realization that TLOU or at least the engine it uses (With some tweaking of course) could honestly become an amazing basis for modern survival horror games.

Not RE4 etc. I mean literal PSX Survival Horror modernized, giving the same sort of feeling that player gimping and tank controls gave us, but in a more sensible and somewhat accessible way that still gives the player that sensation from that era of horror games.
I beleive everytime Pat talks about it he calls it mainstream survival horror, and I definitely agree really. TLOU's focus on stealth is the biggest thing thats different from classic survival horror.

Xiraiya

I beleive everytime Pat talks about it he calls it mainstream survival horror, and I definitely agree really. TLOU's focus on stealth is the biggest thing thats different from classic survival horror.

The way it plays and feels in general though is a really good middle ground where the game makes sense but still has that feeling of old survival horror, it seemed like for awhile people were thinking "Well it has to be this extreme that most people lack the attention span for, or this action extreme where it's kind of a completely different game now"

I really like tank controls

The way it plays and feels in general though is a really good middle ground where the game makes sense but still has that feeling that an action game, it seemed like for awhile people were thinking "Well it has to be this extreme that most people lack the attention span for, or this action extreme where it's kind of a completely different game now"

I really like tank controls
I really doubt ND would make the series more horror in any sequel project, but it totally has a good amount of the pieces in place. I would love for companies to take cues from it in future games and take in that direction. Imagining a game that plays like TLOU in a Meroidvania RE1-esque mansion, or several smaller levels like SH, with enemies that are frightening to engage like Boomers and Clickers is awesome. I dunno how it'd be balanced without stealth, but I'm damn curious.

They're pretty awesome.

Anung

Un Rama

Modern Horror games do seem to have evolved to be overly stealth based. I get it though, its the easiest way to make the player feel helpless and instill fear/tension. I do miss the good old days but I'll take what I can get horror wise.

Xiraiya

I really doubt ND would make the series more horror in any sequel project, but it totally has a good amount of the pieces in place. I would love for companies to take cues from it in future games and take in that direction. Imagining a game that plays like TLOU in a Meroidvania RE1-esque mansion, or severalmaller levels like SH, with enemies that are frightening to engage like Boomers and Clickers is awesome. I dunno how it'd be balanced without stealth, but I'm damn curious.

They're pretty awesome.
If you were turning it into RE, you could definitely make the mechanics clunkier and more brutal without it becoming a situation where it no longer makes any sense, removing stealth would be a little silly, there's no real reason to do that, you could keep that in because while most regular enemies wouldn't REALLY require it, situations and certain boss battles would, a character like Leon with Police training and so on should be utilizing tactics like that anyway when dealing with a faster/stronger enemy.

I'm glad Pat has found the crack light. I play Hearthstone when I've got nothing else to do, it is also my normal game I play during the podcast if I'm not doing anything.
I can't wait until I can play it on my phone instead of my tablet, even more portable crack.

The eurobeat track in the latest Drift Stage update got me so friggin hype. When I get paid on Friday I'm pledging so hard.

I really hope there's going to be cars styled like an AE86 and RX7.

Modern Horror games do seem to have evolved to be overly stealth based. I get it though, its the easiest way to make the player feel helpless and instill fear/tension. I do miss the good old days but I'll take what I can get horror wise.
I just never liked pure stealth personally. Its slow and plodding and being seen feels like instant failure. TLOU's was alright mainly because of how offensive it is, encouraging you to kill dudes one by one. I'll always prefer maneuvering around enemies like in games with Tank Controls, but I realize its not appealing.

Being able to deal with a few enemies and not many, is something TLOU does decently well though. Ill always prefer scrounging for materials over pure stealth.
If you were turning it into RE, you could definitely make the mechanics clunkier and more brutal without it becoming a situation where it no longer makes any sense, removing stealth would be a little silly, there's no real reason to do that, you could keep that in because while most regular enemies wouldn't REALLY require it, situations and certain boss battles would, a character like Leon with Police training and so on should be utilizing tactics like that anyway when dealing with a faster/stronger enemy.
I guess I don't mean remove stealth as much as I mean that it should be toned wayyyy down. I think only certain enemies requiring stealth would be pretty rad. It'd be a great way to spice things up and induce tension. I love enemies that are extremely tough, but blind.

Anung

Un Rama
I just never liked pure stealth personally. Its slow and plodding and being seen feels like instant failure. TLOU's was alright mainly because of how offensive it is, encouraging you to kill dudes one by one. I'll always prefer maneuvering around enemies like in games with Tank Controls, but I realize its not appealing.

I'm in the same boat with the tank control love. But obviously they are dead and never coming back ;_;

I just completed an endurance arcade run of the beginner course in Daytona. That's 80 laps on that oval track.

That is definitely the definition of endurance, holy shit. Placed 1st though, and I've pretty much perfected my technique on turn 3 so I don't go off the road, but you really gotta focus for like half an hour to get through on top.

This HD version is subtly teaching me the ways of proper Daytona USA play, and I'm enjoying it.

Xiraiya

I guess I don't mean remove stealth as much as I mean that it should be toned wayyyy down. I think only certain enemies requiring stealth would be pretty rad. It'd be a great way to spice things up and induce tension. I love enemies that are extremely tough, but blind.

That moment I realize TEW was an attempt at exactly what we're talking about but not nearly as good/polished as TLOU, even though I really like Evil Within.

Xiraiya

I just completed an endurance arcade run of the beginner course in Daytona. That's 80 laps on that oval track.
That is definitely the definition of endurance, holy shit. Placed 1st though, and I've pretty much perfected my technique on turn 3 so I don't go off the road, but you really gotta focus for like half an hour to get through on top.
This HD version is subtly teaching me the ways of proper Daytona USA play, and I'm enjoying it.

So I just looked up what you're talking about, because Daytona USA was the arcade game I'd see the most here and also the most enjoyable, are you playing "The 90's Arcade Racer" ? Since it seems to recreate Daytona with a much more modern look.

Anung

Un Rama
What's your upload? I can probably give you a frame of reference for what you can get away with.

But Grim Fandango and RERemake are right around the corner! TANK CONTROLS FOR EVERYONE

REmake has a new control scheme for people WHO HATE GOOD THINGS and are bad at getting gud.

So I just looked up what you're talking about, because Daytona USA was the arcade game I'd see the most here and also the most enjoyable, are you playing "The 90's Arcade Racer" ? Since it seems to recreate Daytona with a much more modern look.
No, it's actually Daytona USA. Sega released an HD version of it on PSN and XBLA a few years ago. It looks just like the original game but in widescreen this time instead of 4:3.

Still very fun, but it would be nice if Scud Race and Daytona 2 got the same treatment. Those games are equally excellent.

Xiraiya

REmake has a new control scheme for people WHO HATE GOOD THINGS and are bad at getting gud.
I plan to play REmake, I missed out on Gamecube, and I only played some of RE4 back then, so I'm seriously planning on getting it since I'm looking for a good survival horror that looks decent.

Okingjrr

I basically felt the same way as Pat towards JoJo's 4th opening. Didn't like that much at first, but after listening to it for... a lot of hours, I just can't stop now. Somebody help me ;_;

Xiraiya

No, it's actually Daytona USA. Sega released an HD version of it on PSN and XBLA a few years ago. It looks just like the original game but in widescreen this time instead of 4:3.
Still very fun, but it would be nice if Scud Race and Daytona 2 got the same treatment. Those games are equally excellent.
Oh man, I kind of want this now.

I'm playing it without the tank controls just to make the tank control apologists salt.
Are you 12?

Oberon

Banned
You know what's fun? Having to work with someone that has like no engagement, and only does the bare minimum.

Also, I now have a backlog of Zaibatsu videos to catch up on, and the podcast!
I used to have too much free time, so I would burn through the videos and rewatch older lp while waiting for new stuff.

Edit: how do you guys like my new avatar?

I NEED TO SHOVE MY HYPE BONER SOMEWHERE, SO EAT IT

I'm super hyped for a Hong Kong Shadowrun.
I'm backing this because damn I need this to happen and Dragonfall DC was my 2nd favourite game of last year
because Bayonetta 2 came out sadly

Squishy3

Sorry bud, your streaming dreams are probably crushed unless you upgrade your internet.

Okay installed OBS, this shit is far more complicated than Xplit
OBS may be more complicated but Xsplit is "set it and go" basically. The features OBS has, Xsplit would make you pay for.

And it's more efficient than Xsplit, IIRC. It doesn't require as much resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom