• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 12: 12 Threads in and It's Still the tutorial

Your reasoning for that answer is what? I'm personally not sure anymore. I mean, fuck the guy, he's an idiot and he's incredibly obnoxious, but he's just shit at games and blames the game/controller or whatever when he fails at doing something.
Yet here I am wondering why people who hate him so much care about these "This is how you don't play" vids. Are people watching it to feel better about themselves while they criticize the guy, since they're so much better than he is? Why the hell is the same guy spending such a insane amount of time on DSP's LPs, watching them in their entirety, downloading them and editing them et cetera? This video alone is over three hours long! Why?

I don't get it.
DSP himself has some pretty bad stories attributed to him. In fact his attitude is the only reason anyone cares. If the same videos had a voice track of someone who was genuinely struggling it'd actually be extremely sad.

The reason a person takes the time to edit together all the videos is purely because there's an audience (or they personally enjoy it I suppose), and I think the audience cares because of how incredulous it is that he's that bad, and it becomes comedy.

I really don't enjoy them myself, that's just what makes sense.

semisonic

Banned
They've always seemed way more interesting to me than any other RTS since it has a focus on single player. Never did try them though. Only other thing I remember is that the 2nd game is taking forever to be made I think. Also really bad bikini armor or something.

Same. Time to watch episode 1 while eating because fuck it.

Oh, it's not the second game. It was a whole series. If you're getting any, I'd recommend heroes for the og xbox or the crusaders for the same.

Like in a "Stupid man does stupid things. Hilarity ensues!" kind of way?

How long does the curiosity last though? I watched one of the first "This is how you don't play" vids back when it came out because I was indeed curious as to who the guy was and why he was a big deal. Spoiler for the newest vid: DSP is bad at a videogame than whines about it and blames things other than himself.

I guess. If people are getting enjoyment out of watching the same person fail and blame other things over and over again for hours on end and for multiple games, I can understand that. I'm just trying to figure out what exactly makes these vids fun for them.

And I know DSP is a piece of garbage.
If your curiosity is why you'd watch more than one of these, It being a compilation of each game is probably the appeal. What obstacles in each game he gets stuck on and what he complains about. It's about DSP vs THIS ONE

As far as people who are actually super obsessed, it probably is just a feeling of superiority.

School's going ok now

How is everyone?
Waiting for the shuttle to head back home. And continuing to listen to NMH music.

The urge to replay that game is intensifying. That's probably the second most anticipated LP from the Best Friends I look forward to every other day (the first being SH2).

Waiting for the shuttle to head back home. And continuing to listen to NMH music.

The urge to replay that game is intensifying. That's probably the second most anticipated LP from the Best Friends I look forward to every other day (the first being SH2).
The only thing stopping me from replaying No More Heroes (or starting some rounds of Ghost Squad) is that my Wiimote is out of batteries and I have none.

sjay1994

Honestly, I have never had the urge to replay or go back to a game.

He is indeed a piece of shit, but why are there so many people obsessed with him? It comes off as a "I hate him! But I'm going to spend hours upon hours of watching him play and just rub my nipples at the thought of how much better I am and how shit he is" kind of situation.
This is different, I'd say. It's DSP, we all know he's terrible. I didn't cringe when I watched the first few minutes of that vid, because I know it's just him being his usual dumb self and being bad at videogames while whining about them. It's the same shit as every other similar vid.

I think it goes even further than just being bad at video games (btw I kinda hate myself for delving in to this more than I should have, I would of been perfectly fine just stopping at the 'this is how you don't play compilation'). But I guess Pat puts it best when he was on the retsuparae podcast "He's an on going train wreck that you can't look away from". Again its not just him and video games, it's him as a person as well. I don't know if you heard any of the stories tied to him but he pulls some pretty bad stuff. Some of the smaller ones I could think of is insulting his entire fan base, straight up bans for any remote hints of negatively or criticism and writes it off as trolling and the lists just go on. I guess people come back to see what kind of bullshit he pulled of this time.

sjay1994

I don't know why you would waste the time on it.

Because for some reason I liked the franchise.

I thought they were on track after black flag.

Unity makes me want to vomit in spite. Literally, that game just made me hate video games in general for some time.

Still studying to get into game dev tho.

The only thing stopping me from replaying No More Heroes (or starting some rounds of Ghost Squad) is that my Wiimote is out of batteries and I have none.

Its such a fantastic game. It has flaws, but the good parts of the game are really fucking good and something I'm noticing now is how surprisingly good the writing in the game is considering the kind of tone it has. I love this game so fucking much even with its flaws.

Xiraiya

Like in a "Stupid man does stupid things. Hilarity ensues!" kind of way?How long does the curiosity last though? I watched one of the first "This is how you don't play" vids back when it came out because I was indeed curious as to who the guy was and why he was a big deal (negatively). But once you've seen one, you've seen them all and are perfectly aware of what kind of person he is and what future vids will entail.
I guess. If people are getting enjoyment out of watching the same person fail and blame other things over and over again for hours on end and for multiple games, I can understand that. I'm just trying to figure out what exactly makes these vids fun for them.

And I know DSP is a piece of garbage.
Well I was referring to the people in general who watch, it's pretty far between when I decide to check them out, I don't really care if his existence is justified by my watching his video or not, but I like to think as long as I'm not going to his channel, it's irrelevant and benefits him none.

sjay1994

I'm not familiar with everything, but I know he's a dick. I know that's part of the reason why some choose to watch these vids. I merely have a different reaction, as I refuse to look at the train wreck as spending my time on his content would justify his existence as a youtube persona. I suppose I can understand part of the appeal of seeing what your most hated e-celeb is up to this time, but I just don't agree with it. I don't think this is the only reason for everyone, but it's probably part of it for most. Not going to look into what else he did, as that isn't worth the time. Fuck him.

Yeah, I know.

I honestly do not understand the appeal of DSP. I can understand the appeal of pewdiepie or Achievement hunter for example.

But DSP? I don't understand his appeal at all.

Its probably how I play games. I just play one game until I feel like I have done everything I can do in it, and then I shelve it.
I think I'm the opposite. I drop something if I'm bored or unhappy for more than 5-10 hours, and I adore the games I love far too much to ever stop playing them.

I know some people don't get any joy from rewatching movies or reread if books, I do, but I see how people don't enjoy it. But, I mean, any game with mechanics I adore is bound to be pulled out again. I just quite literally enjoy playing it. Like I could basically replay DMC3 or even just bloody palace forever, and it played that game for the first time two years ago.

Its such a fantastic game. It has flaws, but the good parts of the game are really fucking good and something I'm noticing now is how surprisingly good the writing in the game is considering the kind of tone it has. I love this game so fucking much even with its flaws.
Suda's at his best when he's taking the opportunity to deconstruct the nature of a game and make something postmodern in the process (something any game he's worked on since then hasn't had). It's the same reason why killer7 is just as amazing despite having its own set of flaws and issues, but kinda like Yoko Taro and his games he just rolls with it.

sjay1994

I think I'm the opposite. I drop something if I'm bored or unhappy for more than 5-10 hours, and I adore the games I love far too much to ever stop playing them.

I know some people don't get any joy from rewatching movies or reread if books, I do, but I see how people don't enjoy it. But, I mean, any game with mechanics I adore is bound to be pulled out again. I just quite literally enjoy playing it. Like I could basically replay DMC3 or even just bloody palace forever, and it played that game for the first time two years ago.

I have the same mindset for movies and books as well. I usually feel one viewing/reading is good enough.

Same goes for TV and anime as well.

I can't rewatch/redo something, no matter how good it was the first time.

Xiraiya

I'll rewatch/replay something a whole bunch of times if I liked it enough, not immediately after the first time, it's pretty rare for me to finish a game and immediately go back and do it again.
Every two years or so I go back and play Arcanum or Morrowind or something I loved playing through, it's still great.

Bioshock 1 was the last game I remember immediately replaying when I finished it.

I can't stress enough how much I enjoy the parody story structure and what it sets out to do, but it's also just enjoyable and satisfying on a character and mechanical level.
Suda's at his best when he's taking the opportunity to deconstruct the nature of a game and make something postmodern in the process (something any game he's worked on since then hasn't had). It's the same reason why killer7 is just as amazing despite having its own set of flaws and issues, but kinda like Yoko Taro and his games he just rolls with it.
I love that shit so fucking much.
I have the same mindset for movies and books as well. I usually feel one viewing/reading is good enough.
Oof, I can't imagine dude. I'd wager I spend way more time replaying than playing new games. Not immediately after, but yeah.

croten

Something like Eva almost requires a second viewing

sjay1994

I can't stress enough how much I enjoy the parody story structure and what it sets out to do, but it's also just enjoyable and satisfying on a character and mechanical level.

Oof, I can't imagine dude. I'd wager I spend way more time replaying than playing new games.

Yeah, its murder on the wallet. I always have the urge to play something new. But I feel like sometimes I am not having fun.

The only games I recall having fun from 2013-2014 are revengeance, TLOU and FarCry 4.

2014 was a rough year for me. I should probably get a wiiU. I also never played DS2 since I don't have my PS3 anymore, or a good enough computer.

Something like Eva almost requires a second viewing

I couldn't even finish it the first time dude. I can't deal with Shinji.

sjay1994

Oh man rewatching best friends LPs is fucking rad.

The final part of the revengeance playthrough where they are losing their shit at armstrong is probably one of the best things on the channel.

I should rewatch the downpour LP, since I watched it in my free period in the library when I was still in Grade 12.

I find the pacing of the game itself very interesting. Unlike NMH2 which is just level to level with cutscenes (unless you opt to do the side stuff), NMH1 requires you to grind money to go to each new level but keeps throwing so much shit in with each ranked fight. It kind of gives you a break from the intense boss fights of each chapter to just wind down and get yourself ready for the next one. I also adore how the game just gets consistently better instead of having its up and down moments like NMH2.

Come to think of it, Suda hasn't really made a game as good as NMH 1 ever since. I don't know how I feel about Let it Die, but Suda doesn't really make bad games and hopefully this game works out.

Neither can I, except I don't like to replay/watch/do something since I'd rather just move on to something new.

I do however rewatch LPs as background noise for homework.

I am so excited for reactions to this SH2 part.
I find the pacing of the game itself very interesting. Unlike NMH2 which is just level to level with cutscenes (unless you opt to do the side stuff), NMH1 requires you to grind money to go to each new level but keeps throwing so much shit in with each ranked fight. It kind of gives you a break from the intense boss fights of each chapter to just wind down and get yourself ready for the next one. I also adore how the game just gets consistently better instead of having its up and down moments like NMH2.

Come to think of it, Suda hasn't really made a game as good as NMH 1 ever since. I don't know how I feel about Let it Die, but Suda doesn't really make bad games and hopefully this game works out.
It works on a gameplay level, but I think it's
the best parody of doing mundane work just to be able to have fun. It's perfect in being so tedious,

I guess it depends on whether or not he's in a full creative lead? If I recall stuff like Lollipop Chainsaw, SotD, and Killer is Dead didn't have him as the director. Considering he had a distinct vision for all the earlier games he worked on that must be the case.

sjay1994

Neither can I, except I don't like to replay/watch/do something since I'd rather just move on to something new.

I do however rewatch LPs as background noise for homework.

Youtube videos and music are the only pieces of entertainment I do re-consume. I rewatch the last part of revengeance for a quick pick me up sometimes, or Idiots vs Wild.

The Man vs Wild quicklook is what made me finally subscribe to the main channel. I ultimately dropped machinima like a bag of potatoes, and now only go there when I know there is a video.

Xiraiya

Both Downpour and Homecoming were very average for me to the point they blend into one LP in my mind, the best moments were pretty good but they were too few and far between to make me be like" They were great LPs"
It wasn't Matt/Pat's fault, those games are just fucking garbage except for the axe thing.

I remember them as the Downcoming LP.

sjay1994

Also... I am pretty excited Grim Fandango is unlocking tomorrow.

After I finish my coding quiz tomorrow, I am going to jump into it.

croten

Both Downpour and Homecoming were very average for me to the point they blend into one LP in my mind, the best moments were pretty good but they were too few and far between to make me be like" They were great LPs"
It wasn't Matt/Pat's fault, those games are just fucking garbage except for the axe thing.

Well yeah, thats the whole point. It's the same as the sadness trilogy.

Both Downpour and Homecoming were very average for me to the point they blend into one LP in my mind, the best moments were pretty good but they were too few and far between to make me be like "Great LPs"

I like the Downpour LP a lot more than Homecoming. The Homecoming LP started boring Matt to death, and Pat's rage hardly lasted and felt more like dissapointment.

Downpour is really relaxed, and more of just a general "good feeling". Nothing super standout, but it's really consistent and enjoyable.

Top Bottom