• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 12: 12 Threads in and It's Still the tutorial

They should also do something to spice up the mechanic. Like, make it more interactive or something.

I thought something kinda cool (at least to me) where the Persona you receive from a S Link would level up as you level up the S link, but the minute you use the Persona, S Link would be reset.

And this could have storyline ramifications and all that jazz, or something. At least it sounded cool in my head.

Squishy3

And that's where we disagree. I think it is the core of every single problem that game has.
The only thing they need to do regarding S. Links is improve the writing. The actual gameplay problems (repetitive dungeons, mind numbingly easy combat) should be higher on the list to improve. And let's be honest, Persona 2 isn't better at either of those, especially with how high the encounter rate is in Persona 2.

Its an absolutely terrible starting RPG. Other than the addicting SMT nature of fusing demons, its an extremely flawed RPG for people to get into the genre due to its awkward pacing, bad dungeon crawling and overly-repetitive combat, especially when things like Chrono Trigger exist for someone who's never played an RPG in their life before.

I do agree if the game got rid of all the RPG elements and dungeon crawling it'd be much better. It wouldn't even be a Persona game anymore, but hell it worked for Catherine.

I'd get into it, if i was really in the mood. I'd hate to cut it off here without elaborating, but I'm done talking about the game.
So I guess Pokemons a bad starting RPG too? Cause persona 3 and 4 are just Pokemon.

I thought something kinda cool (at least to me) where the Persona you receive from a S Link would level up as you level up the S link, but the minute you use the Persona, S Link would be reset.

And this could have storyline ramifications and all that jazz, or something. At least it sounded cool in my head.
If S Links stay as character development that wouldn't exactly work, but that gives you an actual incentive to talk to your party members more than 10 times.

It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how you would implement in the current formula.
The only thing they need to do regarding S. Links is improve the writing. The actual gameplay problems (repetitive dungeons, mind numbingly easy combat) should be higher on the list to improve. And let's be honest, Persona 2 isn't better at either of those, especially with how high the encounter rate is in Persona 2.

Man, the dungeon crawling in Persona is so bad. Like, every game has some sort of issue.

I'd get into it, if i was really in the mood. I'd hate to cut it off here without elaborating, but I'm done talking about the game.

As someone who literally only played P4 for the slinks part I'm really curious why you hate them so much.

I'll wait before I judge. We are in the era of #NewNewCapcom after all.

Is the era of capcom having no money and we're just waiting for them to THQ?

Squishy3

That Dragons Dogma announcement has literally left me a souless husk.
You forgot the part where Hideaki Itsuno isn't involved with the project leaving him free to direct DMC5.

It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how you would implement in the current formula.

Man, the dungeon crawling in Persona is so bad. Like, every game has some sort of issue.
It's better in every game that isn't Persona, too. Like, mainline SMT's dungeons are good, and SMT4 has really awesome ones specifically. They need to get those planners on the Persona team.

Fuck everything about Devil Survivor though. Literally the worst SMT spinoff

I love demon negotiations, even if they're really basic in P2. Also, the P2 dungeons are shorter. It can get boring, but at least it doesn't wear its welcome

It's better in every game that isn't Persona, too. Like, mainline SMT's dungeons are good, and SMT4 has really awesome ones specifically. They need to get those planners on the Persona team.

Fuck everything about Devil Survivor though. Literally the worst SMT spinoff

Yeah, no kidding. I'm playing through Digital Devil Saga right now and it does the dungeon crawling way better. Haven't played DeSu yet so I can't comment on it.

As someone who literally only played P4 for the slinks part I'm really curious why you hate them so much.

Is the era of capcom having no money and we're just waiting for them to THQ?

Won't get too much into it, but the biased part of me just says that I really hate the characters. Doing social links for characters you hate. Imagine how bad that is. As for the actual game itself, it'd take way too long to get into it and I honestly don't feel like explaining. Maybe one day, but I don't feel like making a thread to get super backlashed by the die hard fans of the game. Its a side I'd like to explain, but not argue. Mostly because I just don't care enough about the game to really get into it.

Also, #believe

Squishy3

I love demon negotiations, even if they're really basic in P2. Also, the P2 dungeons are shorter. It can get boring, but at least it doesn't wear its welcome
They may be shorter but the random encounter rate is so high I don't care. Let's not forget how abysmally long battles take even with animations turned off, let alone if they're on. I like Persona 2 and am enjoying my playthrough, but the battles are easily my least favorite part, especially coming right off the heels of replaying through SMT4 with it's lightning fast battles.

They may be shorter but the random encounter rate is so high I don't care. Let's not forget how abysmally long battles take even with animations turned off, let alone if they're on. I like Persona 2 and am enjoying my playthrough, but the battles are easily my least favorite part, especially coming right off the heels of replaying through SMT4 with it's lightning fast battles.

The combat hasn't aged well at all. I think in the 90's something like it would have been more acceptable for when it came out, but like you said, its ridiculously slow compared to SMT4's combat.

The negotiations are actually pretty complex. Some demons need to trigger other emotions from contacts first in order to have other emotions in different contacts. I love the relationship system that comes from the lore of the demons and personas that does cool things.
Yeah, no kidding. I'm playing through Digital Devil Saga right now and it does the dungeon crawling way better. Haven't played DeSu yet so I can't comment on it.
DeSu doesn't have any dungeons its just tactical battles.

Squishy3

The negotiations are actually pretty complex. Some demons need to trigger other emotions from contacts first in order to have other emotions in different contacts. I love the relationship system that comes from the lore of the demons and personas that does cool things.

DeSu doesn't have any dungeons its just tactical battles.
Slow as fuck tactical battles and let's not forget the smattering of "SAVE THE SUICIDAL NPC THAT RUNS INTO THE DEMONS BEFORE YOU TALK TO THEM" missions.

who the FUCK THOUGHT THOSE WERE A GOOD IDEA

I meant in comparison to newer SMT games. Each kind of tarot has a set appeal and I'm pretty sure they have similar dialogue as well. While in newer SMT it just feels more like a crapshoot to what to tell them. For the 90's, talking to the enemy and negotiating them would have blown my mind.

Well silent hill 2 came in, the disc wasn't even in the fucking disc holder so this thing is probably not gonna work

Won't get too much into it, but the biased part of me just says that I really hate the characters. Doing social links for characters you hate. Imagine how bad that is. As for the actual game itself, it'd take way too long to get into it and I honestly don't feel like explaining. Maybe one day, but I don't feel like making a thread to get super backlashed by the die hard fans of the game. Its a side I'd like to explain, but not argue. Mostly because I just don't care enough about the game to really get into it.

Also, #believe

Ranting is fun though. Like when I went on a long rant about how bioshock infinite is one of the worst games I have ever played.

I #believecapcomwon'tbeathingin5years

Ranting is fun though. Like when I went on a long rant about how bioshock infinite is one of the worst games I have ever played.

I #believecapcomwon'tbeathingin5years

Ranting can be fun about new stuff, but I'm just tired of talking about it. I've said my peace on Persona 4 before and I'm just honestly tired of discussing anything about that game.

Its the most disappointing game I've ever played. Nothing else to really know. If I ever feel like making a long post about it, I will, but I honestly don't see that happening.

Slow as fuck tactical battles and let's not forget the smattering of "SAVE THE SUICIDAL NPC THAT RUNS INTO THE DEMONS BEFORE YOU TALK TO THEM" missions.

who the FUCK THOUGHT THOSE WERE A GOOD IDEA

What's wrong with slow tactical battles? That's kind of the genre. The game isn't any slower than other tactical RPGs with the exception of maybe Disgaea.

But yeah, fuck those protect missions. They're always the worst.

Completely unrelated to everything being discussed right now but I'm salty as fuck right now.
V1SRMash.jpg

Top Bottom