• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 12: 12 Threads in and It's Still the tutorial

Ilvocare

Have you ever been into gaming section? So many fuckers in every game that is even remotely weird are super dismissive and assholish about it just because it's Japanese. And that's on a forum dedicated to games, imagine a wide-spread audience. Them fuckers hate that shit.

I've heard lots of people talk about Mario as baby games. I heard people say Dark Souls 2 was a weeb game when they were picking up Titanfall at midnight. People are fucking xenophobic as shit, man.

Hearing this upset me greatly.

I can also vouch that people are way more closed-minded than you'd hope. My family is probably the defining reason that I don't actually have any posters up on the walls of my room or own any figurines, etc.

ultimax

Have you ever been into gaming section? So many fuckers in every game that is even remotely weird are super dismissive and assholish about it just because it's Japanese. And that's on a forum dedicated to games, imagine a wide-spread audience. Them fuckers hate that shit.

I've heard lots of people talk about Mario as baby games. I heard people say Dark Souls 2 was a weeb game when they were picking up Titanfall at midnight. People are fucking xenophobic as shit, man.

Ive seen that a lot, especially over here in Jersey. People here act like if you watch anime you're a freak of nature or something....It's sad, but i dont really care what close minded people think

ahegao phone case pride

Xiraiya

America. Fuck yeah.
PMHYU3.png

Land of the free and the home of the brave baby.

A good number of kids think Nintendo is for babbies.

I talked to a kid at the pool once that said he was a huge gamer bro, liked the oldschool games. He played the original Mario from 1996 on his Wii. When I asked if he was sure about that date, he said "Yeah. The first Mario on the Nintendo 64." He said exactly that verbatim with a stone cold serious look on his face and was confused when we explained that that wasn't the first Mario.

I'm still completely unsure if he was fucking with us, because he was so committed to it and was talking with such confidence. If he was joking, that kid is a masterful liar.

I talked to a kid at the pool once that said he was a huge gamer bro, liked the oldschool games. He played the original Mario from 1996 on his Wii. When I asked if he was sure about that date, he said "Yeah. The first Mario on the Nintendo 64." He said exactly that verbatim with a stone cold serious look on his face and was confused when we explained that that wasn't the first Mario.

I'm still completely unsure if he was fucking with us, because he was so committed to it and was talking with such confidence. If he was joking, that kid is a masterful liar.
I talk to people who go "Oh yeah I like the old games, you know, Play Station 2?" and even more now who grew up with the N64/PSX and it's what they think started games. You'd be amazed how little people know about shit. I totally believe that kid was serious.

I could confuse people with a floppy disk or showing them a rolling ball mouse too, probably.

I bought New Vegas. Made a hot lesbian girl, chose the option to have sexy lesbian text options. Played for about an hour, saw none of them and wandered around nowhere.

Returned it to Gamestop the next day.

I just assume that everyone I meet who says they play video games just plays the standard dude bro stuff. The only time I was proven wrong was when I found a group of people at my school who played wow.

What's lewd about spanking? I personally see no sexual aspects to the act of repeatedly placing your hand on the buttocks of another person in quick succession. Only a sick mind would think it's sexual.
Lewd
yeah only a sick fuck would be into getting punished. What is that what you are? Are you a dirty, baka hentai? You must be to give such a reaction when I step on that.

Xiraiya

I bought New Vegas. Made a hot lesbian girl, chose the option to have sexy lesbian text options. Played for about an hour, saw none of them and wandered around nowhere.
Haha wow, this a whole different side of what we were talking about but yet equally as ridiculous.

Jman014

Only Western games I've bought in the last year and a half were Dragon Age Inquisition and HuniePop.

New vegas is the only western game I have ever personally bought
kgcVCEG.gif

Zenfalcia

I see that social stigma a fair bit. Not that people won't give something a chance, but it immediately puts off a lot of people.
They wanted to talk about MAGfest, but yeah, I would've probably preferred that too. Ah well.

Yes they did. They didn't cover a lot TBH, I feel like they'll do a recap of stuff they didn't mention in the next podcast.

Well.. that's one way to play the game..

Zenfalcia

Lewd
yeah only a sick fuck would be into getting punished. What is that what you are? Are you a dirty, baka hentai? You must be to give such a reaction when I step on that.

1390979591185.gif

edit: It's funny when i trying to find an image to use and then find one from our older threads.

I don't think I could hold a conversation about video games with people who refuse to play a game if its a certain region. It's just close minded in the worst way possible.

Xiraiya

I don't think disregarding Western games is any better as a thing. If you just judge them case by case, sure. I really dunno how many of my games are from wherever offhand. I just like games.

I don't think I've ever loaded up a game for the first time and have just run around doing dumb shit and been like "Well fuck this!"
It takes me awhile to decide if I don't enjoy a game, mainly because the screening process to even start playing is kind of rigorous

I'll look at a trailer or images or something and mentally run through the list very quickly from the glance.

Do I like the style?
Do I like the character designs?
Do I like the setting?
Do I like the music?
Do I like the way it looks like it would feel to play?
Do I like the mechanics?
Do I like the genre it is based on?

If I get a few yes's, I don't need many, usually one or two is enough to get me to look at a game if there aren't any real "No's"
Then I look up what it's about and how it plays and so on.

I'm pretty strict about it but I get to play all different kinds of genres of games generally because of one or two specific things I like, it usually works well.

I don't think I could hold a conversation about video games with people who refuse to play a game if its a certain region. It's just close minded in the worst way possible.

For the record, it's not that I refuse to play Western games, but that there are just very, very few Western games that I'm actually interested in playing.

Oberon

Banned
I don't think disregarding Western games is any better as a thing. If you just judge them case by case, sure. I really dunno how many of my games are from wherever offhand. I just like games.

I felt like watching this was spoilery so I'm glad it was just a peek. Those sprites were pretty sick.

I won't dismiss a game because it's western or anything, it just play a lot of RPG
an most games I buy are nintendo first party anyway.

Skullgirls? Shovel Knight?

Joe actually gifted me Skullgirls, which was really nice of him. I would buy shovel Knight, but I really can't justifie to buy another game with this little free time, and so much backlog.

Oberon and Aaron at least you guys just aren't interested on a case by case basis. So I guess it's just something common in games you guys aren't interested in? That's fine.
I think the opinion is dumb, though I don't dismiss the person, but y'know.
I probably do the same thing subconciously. Playing games for awhile lets you judge a lot based on subtle things when you see footage. I'm pretty willing to try out something random though, if I'm over at somebody's place or it's gotten a lot of lipservice or I just got it from a Humble Bundle with the games I wanted or whatever.
Games?....As in video games!?!? No! Those are terrible! Stay away from those!
I'm sorry! I can't help it! I'm a dirty, filthy videogame player.

STAY AWAY, DON'T LET IT GET YOU TOO!

You'd have to intentionally go out of your way to avoid EVER buying a Japanese game.

It screams "I'm a fucking idiot" if there are people who are so dense as to do this.

Oberon and Aaron at least you guys just aren't interested on a case by case basis. So I guess it's just something common in games you guys aren't interested in? That's fine.

Most Western games just don't interest me from a writing, gameplay or artistic standpoint. I primarily play JRPGs and tactics games, which are hard to find consistently in the West. Even the Western made Japanese styled RPGs just aren't really what I'd call stellar and tactics games are really rare and mostly look fuck-ugly.

Top Bottom