• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 12: 12 Threads in and It's Still the tutorial

So after watching episode 15 of Parasyte. It turned into Jojo for a bit, because the MC was literally accusing everything of being a Parasyte. I was waiting for him to try and slice a plate of spaghetti.

Rizzi

So I've been trying to remember the name of a game I played as a little kid for years now.
I was just browsing the genre thing on Hardcore Gaming 101 and I found an article on it.
Golvellius!
Does anyone else remember this game?

mrmyhthef

TELL ME WHY

TELL ME WHY

IT'S TOO LATE

ITS TOO LATE

kvUF69I.gif

Skrams

So, I'm currently kind of freaking out because I bought theyeteedotcom Captain Toad Shirt yesterday and it's a really good shirt, but also it says Time For Adventure! on it. I swear to god he says Ready For Adventure. I even booted up the game and listened to it 4 times to know. I might of just bought a shirt that's super wrong or my ears are wrong. I can't handle this.

Need to also get a my hands on a crunchyroll guest pass to watch some Parasyte, Aldnoah Zero, Log Horizon, and then JoJo on friday. No, I do not enjoy Aldnoah Zero or Log Horizon very much.

Oh shit, some had translated what all the controls do. Sure does clarify some things.

http://www.yareyaredaze.com/2014/12/21/check-jojos-bizarre-adventure-eyes-heavens-first-official-trailer-controls/

I've been asleep or working the past day and had no idea a JoJo demo was happening. I need this. That is also the best URL I've seen in a while.

Metroid Prime Trilogy comes out tomorrow.

Are you excited?

I forgot about this. Already have the money in my account to buy it.

Skrams

Check your PMs.

Thanks! I was just going to scour random recent anime to see if people dropped any in the comments like I usually do, but this is way better. Time for Parasyte then.

Also guys, Dragon's Dogma Online looks like fast Monster Hunter and I'm not into the MH crack yet so this is the next best thing. It could be the greatest thing ever maybe?

Need to also get a my hands on a crunchyroll guest pass to watch some Parasyte, Aldnoah Zero, Log Horizon, and then JoJo on friday. No, I do not enjoy Aldnoah Zero or Log Horizon very much.
Then why continue it? Are you just watching to finish it? I actually enjoy Log Horizon while I think Aldnoah is all right at best.

Skrams

Then why continue it? Are you just watching to finish it? I actually enjoy Log Horizon while I think Aldnoah is all right at best.

Curiosity. I'll usually watch a show to it's end if I'm in deep enough. I watched all of Log Horizon S1 after the talk on the podcast. Then I watched S2 when it started premiering because I've already watched the first season so I might as well. I actually find Log Horizon okay and I enjoyed the raid. The rest of the time is mostly just boring to me though. I went and watched Aldnoah since Woolie's recommendation. It's not great. Might as well continue on since it's premiering now.

Sometimes I'll drop something for no reason, but I'll always come back eventually. I stopped watching Ippo somewhere around episode 50 for no reason. I came back a few weeks later because of course I would. I dislike Free and I'm 2 episodes into Free season 2. I'm going to go back eventually despite it being a bummer of a time. I don't know if it's I don't value my time as much, masochism, or I'm just bored.

Xiraiya

I actually enjoyed Log Horizon season 1 quite a bit, it's a slow burn but yet it has a different take on the whole "Trapped in an MMO" scenario which I think is really refreshing compared to other franchises of that type, so I was kind of shocked when Pat couldn't stand it because it really seems like the perspective it takes would be something he would argue about with someone when discussing that MMO scenario.

My biggest complaint about it was the animation quality, otherwise both Beloved and I were more or less fans of it.

demidar

I actually enjoyed Log Horizon season 1 quite a bit, it's a slow burn but yet it has a different take on the whole "Trapped in an MMO" scenario which I think is really refreshing compared to other franchises of that type, so I was kind of shocked when Pat couldn't stand it because it really seems like the perspective it takes would be something he would argue about with someone when discussing that MMO scenario.

My biggest complaint about it was the animation quality, otherwise both Beloved and I were more or less fans of it.

Reveals about some of the new characters introduced were great. That's not usually something you would think of when doing a trapped in an MMO type thing so it's nice that they're being acknowledged.

Also there's goddamn Ninja Turtle :lol

Skrams

Did you watch it week to week or just slower than I did? I think I watched it in 2 or 3 big chunks and that might of been why I found it dreadfully dull. I'm enjoying the second season more since I'm watching it week to week which makes it easier for me to enjoy I think. I've only ever watched SAO in the "Trapped in an MMO" scenario, so I don't have a lot to compare it to. I can only think of .hack as the other thing that I think does that, but I've never touched anything surrounding it. I imagine most of them just rely on the scenario to give you cool action like an SAO, while Log Horizon focuses on world building. I don't exactly care for the world in Log Horizon or the kind of skewed MMO rules they have set. It also doesn't help when I find a lot of the characters too generic/anime for my tastes.

Also yeah, I'm not really sure what Pat wants from these kinds of shows either. He's said he just wants to be strapped in before, but I don't really know the appeal. I don't really know what he likes about SAO when it's not shitty waifus that he couldn't get from a Log Horizon. Maybe he just found it boring like me.

Reveals about some of the new characters introduced were great. That's not usually something you would think of when doing a trapped in an MMO type thing so it's nice that they're being acknowledged.

I really enjoy that a guy is just named
William Massachusetts.
Ninja Turtle man and fake Tifa with even bigger tits is pretty alright too. That's probably just because I like fist weapons like the Hands of God though.

Edit- Thinking about it more and it might just be that I don't like the characters much. On the latest episode they're supposed to go on a quest to get a magic bag and that sounds really fucking cool to me. I want more shit where it's just a low level quest or raid or actual MMO shit I've seen. I want to see some kids go run fake VanCleef.

Xiraiya

I always thought the dog gag with Rudy was amusing.

I figured out the Rudy thing awhile before it happened which was weird but also still pretty cool

Some of the character names being goddamn baffling was a nice touch, this "All according to keikaku" looking guy being called "Crusty" was pretty amusing.

I could see why someone might look at LH and go into it with all kinds of weird assumptions and not enjoy it, but no it's actually pretty good if you just want to sit down and watch an adventure series that explores some of the I guess more 'Realistic' (used loosely) issues of what it would be like to be trapped in an MMO, the whole thing with food having no taste and it really messing with people was awesome to me.

Did you watch it week to week or just slower than I did? I think I watched it in 2 or 3 big chunks and that might of been why I found it dreadfully dull. I'm enjoying the second season more since I'm watching it week to week which makes it easier for me to enjoy I think. I've only ever watched SAO in the "Trapped in an MMO" scenario, so I don't have a lot to compare it to. I can only think of .hack as the other thing that I think does that, but I've never touched anything surrounding it. I imagine most of them just rely on the scenario to give you cool action like an SAO, while Log Horizon focuses on world building. I don't exactly care for the world in Log Horizon or the kind of skewed MMO rules they have set. It also doesn't help when I find a lot of the characters too generic/anime for my tastes.
I watched in pretty big chunks, Season 1 was over halfway done when I started.

The characters appear pretty generic and you have certain expectations, like I expected fully to fucking hate the assassin girl because of what anime does to characters who look like that, but no one is nearly as annoying as I expect them to be.

demidar

I always thought the dog gag with rudy was amusing.

I figured out the Rudy thing awhile before it happened which was weird but also still pretty cool

Some of the character names being goddamn baffling was a nice touch, this "All according to keikaku" looking guy being called "Crusty" was pretty amusing.

I could see why someone might look at LH and go into it with all kinds of weird assumptions and not enjoy it, but no it's actually pretty good if you just want to sit down and watch an adventure series that explores some of the I guess more 'Realistic' issues of what it would be like to be trapped in an MMO, the whole thing with food having no taste and it really messing with people was awesome to me.

Yeah, that food thing was when I started really liking it. I love seeing what happens when actual, proper MMO mechanics interact with real life logic. It helps that the in-universe rules are actually consistent (besides that one time in Season 1).

Fun fact, Crusty's name came from Krusty the Clown from the Simpsons.

Alfebit

Banned
Also yeah, I'm not really sure what Pat wants from these kinds of shows either. He's said he just wants to be strapped in before, but I don't really know the appeal. I don't really know what he likes about SAO when it's not shitty waifus that he couldn't get from a Log Horizon. Maybe he just found it boring like me.
Pat sounds like he enjoys it for the same reason I do. It's just so bad and stupid that it's entertaining.

Curiosity. I'll usually watch a show to it's end if I'm in deep enough. I watched all of Log Horizon S1 after the talk on the podcast. Then I watched S2 when it started premiering because I've already watched the first season so I might as well. I actually find Log Horizon okay and I enjoyed the raid. The rest of the time is mostly just boring to me though. I went and watched Aldnoah since Woolie's recommendation. It's not great. Might as well continue on since it's premiering now.

Sometimes I'll drop something for no reason, but I'll always come back eventually. I stopped watching Ippo somewhere around episode 50 for no reason. I came back a few weeks later because of course I would. I dislike Free and I'm 2 episodes into Free season 2. I'm going to go back eventually despite it being a bummer of a time. I don't know if it's I don't value my time as much, masochism, or I'm just bored.
I won't disagree that there are... Some episodes that seem rather pointless. But other than that the way they deal with the trapped in MMO differently took me by surprise and realised how much I really enjoy see how the players adapt and fit in to this new world rather than getting out. I can completely see why people would find it boring, but I guess different strokes.
Also I like the lore of how game world came to be by also tying it in with the real world

His name is straight up Leonardo and shouts Cowabunga!

Xiraiya

Yeah, that food thing was when I started really liking it. I love seeing what happens when actual, proper MMO mechanics interact with real life logic. It helps that the in-universe rules are actually consistent (besides that one time in Season 1).
Fun fact, Crusty's name came from Krusty the Clown from the Simpsons.
The re-spawn thing was a little iffy to me, but my logic was 'Well I assume at some point maybe there will be more to it that might be revealed later" and didn't think too hard about it.
And that was my immediate thought when I saw his name, but I wasn't sure if it was actually related or just an amusing coincidence, that's great though if it's a Simpsons thing.

Japan has a lot of really unexpected Simpsons references, arakawa under the bridge has a one panel moment where a couple of characters are drawn in a Simpsons/Matt Groening style.

Also speaking of, people need to watch Arakawa Under The Bridge at some point, it's a fantastic series.
Dio is a "nun" who's also secretly Big Boss, Gintoki/Joseph Joestar is a star, and Kiryu is in it, their leader is a kappa

demidar

His name is straight up Leonardo and shouts Cowabunga!

He's an American player who modeled his character after a Ninja Turtle traveling through the Chinese server with the leader of a group called the Debauchery Tea Party, a
legendary lvl90+ NPC
and a
Chinese farmbot who gained sentience

Dat worldbuilding.

Xiraiya

He's an American player who modeled his character after a Ninja Turtle traveling through the Chinese server with the leader of a group called the Debauchery Tea Party, a
legendary lvl90+ NPC
and a
Chinese farmbot who gained sentience
Dat worldbuilding.

Goddamn, I need to start Season 2, I wonder if we'll get any Australian players since the country is right there on the logo.

I watched about 6 episodes of Log Horizon as it aired. Thought it was boring so I dropped it. Tried going back after Pat talked about it and after watching SAO. Still thought it was boring.

Skrams

Pat sounds like he enjoys it for the same reason I do. It's just so bad and stupid that it's entertaining.

He's said before that he thinks SAO goes from really bad to okay in range. I certainly hate/enjoy the show for how bad it is at times, but I wonder what is the appealing part of the MMO stuff when he looks past the waifus. He could get the world building stuff at times with Log Horizon, but he dislikes it so I'm not exactly sure what is the key factor he enjoys. I'm assuming it's just that he doesn't like the characters or interactions in Log Horizon so he can't see past them to like the world. For SAO the action is usually well animated and fine, so it's a bit easier to get over the characters being horrible garbage. Then sometimes he gets a little MMO chunk to crave his hunger.

I figured it out since it's in the opening.
He straight up dies while ponytail bard is kneeling by his body.
People should really stop putting big, obvious spoilers in their openings. I really love how subtle it is in the new JoJo OP though. I actually didn't understand it until I was rereading the final battle with Dio later. Once I saw a certain thing I made the connection and suddenly I'm flooded with revelaitons about the opening.

I could see why someone might look at LH and go into it with all kinds of weird assumptions and not enjoy it, but no it's actually pretty good if you just want to sit down and watch an adventure series that explores some of the I guess more 'Realistic' (used loosely) issues of what it would be like to be trapped in an MMO, the whole thing with food having no taste and it really messing with people was awesome to me.

Stuff like that is the coolest part to me.

Repeating the edit to my earlier post since relevant.
Thinking about it more and it might just be that I don't like the characters much. On the latest episode they're supposed to go on a quest to get a magic bag and that sounds really fucking cool to me. I want more shit where it's just a low level quest or raid or actual MMO shit I've seen. I want to see some kids go run fake VanCleef.

The characters appear pretty generic and you have certain expectations, like I expected fully to fucking hate the assassin girl because of what anime does to characters who look like that, but no one is nearly as annoying as I expect them to be.

Lower expectations than me maybe? They're all less annoying than I expected them to be, but I still kind of roll my eyes every time the one guy mentions pervert shit then he gets kicked.

Also speaking of, people need to watch Arakawa Under The Bridge at some point, it's a fantastic series.

Dio is a "nun" who's also secretly Big Boss, Gintoki/Joseph Joestar is a star, and Kiryu is in it, their leader is a kappa

Welp, added to my list. I was already on board, but then I read your spoiler. This on boardening can't get any harder.

Xiraiya

I don't know, I think it helped I didn't expect much from LH, and I kind of figured it out early on that it's going to be a LONG story, so fights and really hype stuff coming into it later is fine by me since I enjoy the world establishing stuff more for now.

demidar

I watched about 6 episodes of Log Horizon as it aired. Thought it was boring so I dropped it. Tried going back after Pat talked about it and after watching SAO. Still thought it was boring.

Log Horizon is the opposite of hype so I'm not surprised you didn't like it.

I don't know, I think it helped I didn't expect much from LH, and I kind of figured it out early on that it's going to be a LONG story, so fights and really hype stuff coming into it later is fine by me since I enjoy the world establishing stuff more for now.

I went in with the GAF thread telling me it's way better than SAO, which at that point I had not seen and had only heard was amazing, so I was like "Alright, I'll get in on the ground floor of this one" and was bored to tears. After watching SAO I thought I might like it more, but no. The world building stuff did nothing for me and the characters were whatever for me.

Log Horizon is the opposite of hype so I'm not surprised you didn't like it.

Nah, I like plenty of not-hype stuff. Shirobako and Silver Spoons are both fantastic. Just something about Log Horizon's specific brand of slow burn that turned me off. It felt like they were going to maybe have a story, but they were just not telling it for some reason and instead throwing a bunch of exposition and inconsequential information at me for long periods of time.

Xiraiya

I went in with the GAF thread telling me it's way better than SAO, which at that point I had not seen and had only heard was amazing, so I was like "Alright, I'll get in on the ground floor of this one" and was bored to tears. After watching SAO I thought I might like it more, but no. The world building stuff did nothing for me and the characters were whatever for me.

Yeah but you like anime for all the reasons that is slowly killing Japan and making Miyazaki regret his life of making anime, so...

Beloved

I like LH's approach to the MMO anime, but I feel like the concept could be executed in a more interesting/unique way.

There are a few characters I really like but a lot of them are pretty damn generic. I liked it enough to watch the first season and I'll watch the 2nd eventually but I didn't like it enough to shill it or be hyped for the current season.

Xiraiya

I like LH's approach to the MMO anime, but I feel like the concept could be executed in a more interesting/unique way.
There are a few characters I really like but a lot of them are pretty damn generic. I liked it enough to watch the first season and I'll watch the 2nd eventually but I didn't like it enough to shill it or be hyped for the current season.

Pretty much, it's a solidly entertaining series that I enjoyed watching and I think it does stuff that should be encouraged, but I forget about it easily.

Yeah but you like anime for all the reasons that is slowly killing Japan and making Miyazaki regret his life of making anime, so...

I like anime that is doing that, but I also like anime that isn't like that and can appreciate story telling and quality animation. Log Horizon is hardly an example of anime that isn't killing Japan, I mean, it has a loli character and a rap-rock OP. It's right there with Love Live in shit that's making Miyazaki hate everything.

Skrams

This is prettttty funny.

Nah, I like plenty of not-hype stuff. Shirobako and Silver Spoons are both fantastic. Just something about Log Horizon's specific brand of slow burn that turned me off. It felt like they were going to maybe have a story, but they were just not telling it for some reason and instead throwing a bunch of exposition and inconsequential information at me for long periods of time.

I kind of feel the same way. I also need to watch more Shirobako. I watched a few episodes and it's a neat look into the anime making anime inception world. I still don't really feel like watching cute girls do cute things though.

You're not wrong.

And semi shoutout to lurker man who I don't know if he wants to be named or not for giving me another 2 crunchyroll guest passes for some reason. I'll think about you guy when I'm watching Jotaro ora those guys.

Top Bottom