• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 12: 12 Threads in and It's Still the tutorial

Well I mean he's working through it like any teenage kid does. I think that's why I like him so much as a character, he isn't one way or the other it's a grey area and he still has to figure it out on his own.

Edit: He also doesn't have to be gay or straight he can be bi, pan, or something that isn't so black and white. Which is really cool and doesn't get explored in games

This about sums it up for me, great post.

So this is really weird they gave me a party member who level 30 while im 15 so literally twice my level.
But the only thing he has is more health, his damage output is about the same as mine.

360pages

Oh God, EO1 had some of those too, wasted a few skill points on those skills that lie. You know what, I might just use a guide through the whole way of EO2.

Yeah, I don't use guides too much for the games unless it's something super specific. I say look up the guide to get the true ending for EO3 unless you want to play it three times.

Despite EO4 being really easy, I actually really enjoyed my time with it. I would even put it above untold, the regular RPG feel that EO4 gives. (A world map, mini dungeons and quest on said map) Makes it feel like it's own game.

I will always say 5 floors for a Santrum is too long, and EO3 and EO4 lowering the number, but giving more extra areas to explore outside the main area is a breath of fresh air.

Alright, quick report on CN:STEAM so far. I'm having fun with it, and noticed several quirks, both positive and negative.

-Enemy turns last really fucking long. There is no way to speed up their movement or otherwise skip watching this.
-Unlike a top-down SRPG, you CANNOT see the entire map at once. This alone marks a significant difference from Valkyria Chronicles. This combined with the above makes points where nothing is happening on screen for like a whole minute because things are moving and, unless they stumble into the view range of one of your units, you won't be seeing where the enemy is moving. I assume things become MUCH more lively once you get a party of four and have enough sight coverage to check the whole map.
-Each chapter seems to be split into 3 sub-chapters. I'm currently in the middle of 1-2. I assume the demo will stop after chapter 1 is fully finished.
-Hard saves are scattered about mid-chapter and can only be used once.
-In addition, the save points can ALSO be used to fully heal either a party member or the whole party... for a price. Restoring the whole party costs 10 times as much as restoring a single person, but doing the former also revives any dead teammates, and I assume this is the ONLY way to do so.
-Related to the above point, money is scattered about the map as "medals", and picking them up does not hard-lock your position, which means you can move ahead and grab a bunch of cash, and then move back into position with nothing lost.
-There's a lot of destructible terrain which you can use as cover to get out of sight of enemies or destroy in order to move more efficiently.
-Also there's three "gears" hidden in each sub-chapter and I don't know what they do.

I'll pipe in with more impressions later, but right now I'm a bit mixed.

Still don't know if I should pick this up or not, and can you go in to a bit more detail on not seeing the entire map? Can see the borders of the map? Is it like FOW where you can only see and area around your character? Or is there no map at all?

Jman014

Pretty sure the game doesn't let you use them right off the bat, though. At the very least you'll probably need to unlock a base-like area before you can deploy the FE guys (and gal).

Meh. I'll pass on the game then and wait for the next Fire Emblem before I use my 2DS for anything again.

Can somebody make this transparent? I need it for reasons.

lwbSWBw.png

Skrams

Jojo spoilers

I love seeing dan get the shit beat out of him. Fuck that dude.

Late, but I just wanted to bring up this image I made back when I was reading that part.

I was sort of proud of that joke, but I don't photoshop and only use paint so it's more shitty. I thought it was pretty funny at the time with Nuzlocke going on. I planned on just adding a bunch of dumb things they said to it, but kind of just forgot.

Ilvocare

Still don't know if I should pick this up or not, and can you go in to a bit more detail on not seeing the entire map? Can see the borders of the map? Is it like FOW where you can only see and area around your character? Or is there no map at all?

You control each unit from a third-person-shooter-esque view. There's no overarching map to look at in the first place. This is done purposefully in order to encourage awareness of your surroundings, because there are fucking snipers hiding in alcoves of buildings and they WILL ambush you during your turn if you're an idiot like me and get fucking punked.

Also I have confirmed that there's reinforcements in the game and I thiiiiiiiink they only pop up after the enemy moves. Thank GOD for small favors.

Meh. I'll pass on the game then and wait for the next Fire Emblem before I use my 2DS for anything again.

Judging by the story I can only assume that beating the first chapter gets you the base. I mean, if that isn't Abe Lincoln on that megaspeaker then I don't know WHO it is.

Shackzam

Alright, quick report on CN:STEAM so far. I'm having fun with it, and noticed several quirks, both positive and negative.

-Enemy turns last really fucking long. There is no way to speed up their movement or otherwise skip watching

I heard you can hold select to speed it up.

I don't if it was posted yet, but I believe this is the Forest Maze remix Pat and Liam were talking about in the Mario RPG LP.

I don't think he doesn't like dogs, but uses them to demonstrate how evil a person is.

It might be censorship thing, might be he can draw dogs in supremely grisly situations and not people, so he makes do, but it does seem odd
that all dogs seem to die in especially horrific ways in his mangas

360pages

Damn, Nintendo really forcing my hand with OR/AS. I have a friend that has those games, but due to how the new megas aren't compatible with X/Y they can't use any of the new stuff.

Now I have to either handicap them or not play with them at all just to have a simple battle...that's some shit and I am a little pissed. Considering I decided not to buy it because I didn't feel the single player content was that much better than X/Y

Village

hmm

Was listening to the podcast,

This is one of those times like

" I"m not going to die, if you all don't do a podcast for one week "

But I suppose its more for them not getting into the habbit of not doing shit than for us

Speaking of podcasts, Anyone listen to the nerdist's many podcasts, they usually are very informative.

Also secretly amazing podcast, Cox and Crendor in the morning.

Yeah, I don't use guides too much for the games unless it's something super specific. I say look up the guide to get the true ending for EO3 unless you want to play it three times.
Despite EO4 being really easy, I actually really enjoyed my time with it. I would even put it above untold, the regular RPG feel that EO4 gives. (A world map, mini dungeons and quest on said map) Makes it feel like it's own game.
I will always say 5 floors for a Santrum is too long, and EO3 and EO4 lowering the number, but giving more extra areas to explore outside the main area is a breath of fresh air.
As long as I can get through the game the 2nd time about 50% faster than the 1st playthrough, then I don't mind going through the game multiple times, but if not then I'll just look at the guide for the true ending.

Can somebody make this transparent? I need it for reasons.
Hope this is Ok
d6HVLzz.png

You control each unit from a third-person-shooter-esque view. There's no overarching map to look at in the first place. This is done purposefully in order to encourage awareness of your surroundings, because there are fucking snipers hiding in alcoves of buildings and they WILL ambush you during your turn if you're an idiot like me and get fucking punked.
Also I have confirmed that there's reinforcements in the game and I thiiiiiiiink they only pop up after the enemy moves. Thank GOD for small favors.
Judging by the story I can only assume that beating the first chapter gets you the base. I mean, if that isn't Abe Lincoln on that megaspeaker then I don't know WHO it is.
So you can't see how big the map is and you'll have to move around and memorize the map as you go?

Ilvocare

I heard you can hold select to speed it up.

Gonna test that now, I heard click-clacking whenever I pressed Start or Select but I couldn't see any visible difference.

Continuing impressions:

-Yoooooo the music kicks it up a notch at the last sub-chapter and it's fucking sick.
-Oh my god I'm super surrounded help
-Having the higher ground is so useful. Makes a huge difference, especially when you're spawned in such a ridiculous situation.
-Critical hits can be obtained by hitting enemies at their literal giant glowing weak spots. Facing and direction matters.

Heading to dinner, I'll try to update when I get back.

Speaking of podcasts, Anyone listen to the nerdist's many podcasts, they usually are very informative.
Also secretly amazing podcast, Cox and Crendor in the morning.

Only podcast I listen to aside from Friendcast is the Mega64 wrestling Podcast The Go Home Show. I disagree with most of their opinions on wrestling but it's still pretty fun and they just recap RAW so I don't even have to watch it most of the time.

tsundoku

Well I mean he's working through it like any teenage kid does. I think that's why I like him so much as a character, he isn't one way or the other it's a grey area and he still has to figure it out on his own.

Edit: He also doesn't have to be gay or straight he can be bi, pan, or something that isn't so black and white. Which is really cool and doesn't get explored in games

He's totally gay. I'm gay and Naoto is mai waifu.

He's totally gay. I'm gay and Naoto is mai waifu.

That isn't necessarily true, it's obvious he still has romantic feelings for Naoto even after she reveals she's a girl. I honestly don't think Kanji is gay or straight but somewhere inbetween.
And I love Naoto too she's dabes

Top Bottom