• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 12: 12 Threads in and It's Still the tutorial

Gen 1 - Squirtle. Actually, I played Yellow the first time, so Pikachu
Gen 2 - Totodile
Gen 3 - Mudkip
Gen 4 - That monkey
Gen 5 - That otter thing
Gen 6 - Froakie

Ilvocare

Sceptile was pretty good in Gen 3, before it got nerfed by the Physical/Special split, and Torterra was a good tank in Gen 4.

Also Venusaur was the only not shit Gen 1 starter competitively.

I think there is a straight up mismanagement of the Grass type throughout the entirety of Pokemon. Technically the moves for Grass tend to encourage a slow attrition strategy, since direct attacks with Grass moves don't have nearly as much utility as most other moves (like, the only moment where offensive Grass moves would be universally the best move to use would be against Quagmire or Marshstomp). However, this is undermined by the fact that Grass just SUCKS as a defensive type. Shit gets countered by Fire, Flying, Ice, Poison and Bug. Even if you get a Poison dual-type (which is really common amongst Grass types, actually), you trade the Poison and Bug weaknesses for Ground and Psychic, which are WAY worse to deal with from a defender's perspective.

It's not great.

360pages

The thing about Grass is that everything it can do Water can do better. Which is fine, since I like water pokemon. Milotic actually recently became one of my favorites of that type.

Also, it's a shame that dog pokemon aren't better.

This thread moves so fast o.o

dont_stop_me_now_in_pictures_LDqGG_640_05.jpg

Xiraiya

The next generation needs to give us a new set of starters with more interesting and useful subtypes.

Fire/Steel
Water/Dragon
Grass/Fairy

Or something, I have no idea if they'd be any good but at least they'd be interesting.

Ilvocare

Defensive Ice and Rock types keep being made. Mismanagement is a light word.

It's actually kind of insane of me that a Grass type nevertheless manages to sneak its way into my final team whenever I bother to play the games. Plainly, it's because Grass is a VERY hard counter to Water. Likewise, Water types are super fucking common. Hence, you have an easier time on average going through the game with something that can use Grass, but the moment you expand your scope to the general competitive scene you are fucked.

360pages

The next generation needs to give us a new set of starters with more interesting and useful subtypes.

Fire/Steel
Water/Dragon
Grass/Fairy

Or something, I have no idea if they'd be any good but at least they'd be interesting.

They actually did a decent job with making all the Starters this gen interesting. Even though the level of quality in both usages and design easily goes to Greninja. Delphox ended up looking the worst, and no one even remembers the Grass Starter...

Fire/Steel
Water/Dragon
Grass/Fairy

I just want them to get back to creating viable starters again.

Morning frienders.

So I started Madoka last night. I'm only 2 episodes in, but it seems like this show will leave me emotionaly disturbed by the End. It just has that feeling. The music is top notch. Also why is Lord Humungus in it?

360pages

It's actually kind of insane of me that a Grass type nevertheless manages to sneak its way into my final team whenever I bother to play the games. Plainly, it's because Grass is a VERY hard counter to Water. Likewise, Water types are super fucking common. Hence, you have an easier time on average going through the game with something that can use Grass, but the moment you expand your scope to the general competitive scene you are fucked.

Honestly, I think Electric types do that job far better outside a few outliners. Plus a lot of water pokemon carry Ice beam/ and ice type attack. Even in game I'd put grass lower due to their low sweeping potential.

Xiraiya

I just want them to get back to creating viable starters again.

The Starters should always be on average better than regular Pokemon, in Gen 1 all 3 Starters made most Pokemon except some of the later numbered eat shit pretty easily.

It should be like this

Strongest to weakest
Legendaries
Pseudo Legendaries
Starters/Trade Evolutions
Regular Pokemon

Skrams

A big slow blue turtle was not as cool as a red Dragon looking thing, but Blastoise is incredibly useful and actually looks pretty cool.

ku-medium.gif

Not to shit on anyone's parade, but I find it hard to care about Pokemon beyond a first playthrough and whatever simple post game content there is. I think I last played Pokemon Black and that was because I got it for free. I think I fell off the train at Diamond. I'd be fine playing a pokemon every few years, but I never feel like coughing up the dough.

This thread moves so fast o.o

Yes

Morning frienders.

So I started Madoka last night. I'm only 2 episodes in, but it seems like this show will leave me emotionaly disturbed by the End. It just has that feeling. The music is top notch. Also why is Lord Humungus in it?

I still need to watch this, but every time I say to myself, "I don't feel like being depressed today."

360pages

The Starters should always be on average better than regular Pokemon, in Gen 1 all 3 Starters made most Pokemon except some of the later numbered eat shit pretty easily.

It should be like this

Strongest to weakest
Legendaries
Pseudo Legendaries
Starters/Trade Evolutions
Regular Pokemon

Gen 5 being the exception, mostly due to the fact they were legit awful pokemon. That even the most common of final evolutions could beat easily.

Outside of those, Starters are usually really good in game until the very end and you start competitive play, even then most of them aren't in the NU pile.

360pages

I want more contradictory Pokemon, like that Fire/Water that was announced

I really hate event Pokémon, especially ones that you need the newest game to get...why not send out everyone pokemon to that generations game? There is no reason why more people can't get them Via Wi-Fi..I mean they did pretty good in Gen 5 sending them out with Wi-Fi...why are they going backwards?

Damn Dp

I really hate event Pokémon, especially ones that you need the newest game to get...why not send out everyone pokemon to that generations game? There is no reason why more people can't get them Via Wi-Fi..I mean they did pretty good in Gen 5 sending them out with Wi-Fi...why are they going backwards?

Damn Dp

I don't like event Pokemon either, I'm just hoping that this one is indicative of more adventurous typing. I'd even take more dual-type moves like Flying Press

croten

ku-medium.gif

Not to shit on anyone's parade, but I find it hard to care about Pokemon beyond a first playthrough and whatever simple post game content there is. I think I last played Pokemon Black and that was because I got it for free. I think I fell off the train at Diamond. I'd be fine playing a pokemon every few years, but I never feel like coughing up the dough.

I agree, competitive play never caught me and the main game is never exceptionally difficult enough for me to care about making an optimal team.

Ilvocare

God damn near avoided a bullet for breakfast. What the hell is my dad thinking, leaving a five-day old expired gallon of milk in the fridge? More importantly, what the fuck is he doing drinking it and giving it to my younger brother?

God damn near avoided a bullet for breakfast. What the hell is my dad thinking, leaving a five-day old expired gallon of milk in the fridge? More importantly, what the fuck is he doing drinking it and giving it to my younger brother?

It can still be good after the date. Pour some out and smell it. If it's sour it's no good, but if it just smells like milk it's fine.

Five days ain't shit. That's just the sell by date, it's fine for at least that length of time.

If it smells sour, throw it away. The dates can be misleading.

It can still be good after the date. Pour some out and smell it. If it's sour it's no good, but if it just smells like milk it's fine.

Pretty much.

Ilvocare

Five days ain't shit. That's just the sell by date, it's fine for at least that length of time.

This. Plus if this fails, rancid milk is not something most people can stomach.

If it smells sour, throw it away. The dates can be misleading.

I'm aware. I noticed because it smelled fucking rank today. I think I drank some yesterday relatively fine. The ridiculous thing is that apparently Dad noticed and drank it anyway and kept it in the fridge afterwards.

Eh. It won't ruin my day or anything. Just the end of EP 3. Yeesh.

It'll give you many feels.

But that's all Charizard is tho, a small, odd looking dragon. Blastoise is like a tank with cannons on his back and a shit eating grin on his face.
I'm just joking around. I like them both.

Yeah, I mean that squirtle specifically. The blastoise stopped the mechanical gyarados with his fists and punched it to bits as well, further confirming the superiorty of the water starter of that gen.

But it wasn't an organic Gyrados :3

Top Bottom