• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 12: 12 Threads in and It's Still the tutorial

You could say you're.....#TeamM3rryo?

19fwzw476fytpjpg.jpg

Ilvocare

I didn't own 3 (or an NES), and I played the FUCK out of World. Honestly, my choice was made before I could make it.

Also technically the SMW rom hacking scene is not only still going but kinda ludicrous. Meanwhile most rom hacks of 3 tend to just break the game like tissue paper. I know this information via watching LPs.

I'm also aware that this tidbit is in no way a fair way to judge the quality of the games themselves, so let me try again:

Spin jumping and the Cape are god-tier and nothing will EVER reach that power level ever again in Mario games.

Xiraiya

I always disliked the way SMB3 looked even though that game was really fun to get through, my favorite looking Mario game is the one that was in All Stars, it was like a remake of the first SMB, it looked really good and I wish I could have played all 3 SMB games with that style.

I forgot all about SMW, that game was kind of ridiculously long but great.

croten

I didn't own 3 (or an NES), and I played the FUCK out of World. Honestly, my choice was made before I could make it.

Also technically the SMW rom hacking scene is not only still going but kinda ludicrous. Meanwhile most rom hacks of 3 tend to just break the game like tissue paper. I know this information via watching LPs.

I'm also aware that this tidbit is in no way a fair way to judge the quality of the games themselves, so let me try again:

Spin jumping and the Cape are god-tier and nothing will EVER reach that power level ever again in Mario games.

You know the cape mechanics are in SMB3 right?

I always disliked the way SMB3 looked even though that game was really fun to get through, my favorite looking Mario game is the one that was in All Stars, it was like a remake of the first SMB, it looked really good and I wish I could have played all 3 SMB games with that style.

I forgot all about SMW, that game was kind of ridiculously long but great.

.....They were all in All Stars though so, wish granted?

Xiraiya

.....They were all in All Stars though so, wish granted?

No they were all in All Stars with their original looks, and then there was Lost Levels or whatever the SNES remake of SMB1 was called, it had a particular look and style I really enjoyed over every other Mario game, but it was only for that game, and my point was I kind of wished they all looked like that.

croten

They control radically differently in the two games, don't they? Whereas SMW is controlling a human airplane, SMB3 is just infini-jumping, isn't it?

I haven't played SMW in a long time but in SMB3 you can either get the Tanooki suit or the Racoon leaf. The Racoon leaf is almost identical to the cape IIRC but the Tanooki suit allows infinite flight

The beginning of a new era
YEEEEEAH good job
No they were all in All Stars with their original looks, and then there was Lost Levels or whatever the SNES remake of SMB1 was called, it had a particular look and style I really enjoyed over every other Mario game, but it was only for that game, and my point was I kind of wished they all looked like that.
Oh I thought you meant like the updated sprites, but you mean like the theme/design right?

Ilvocare

Lost Levels is the JP SMB2, which is basically a sadistic level pack. All-Stars only had the "reskinned" SMB1, I believe.

I haven't played SMW in a long time but in SMB3 you can either get the Tanooki suit or the Racoon leaf. The Racoon leaf is almost identical to the cape IIRC but the Tanooki suit allows infinite flight

Almost, but not identical. Both the racoon leaf and cape require momentum in order to gain flight, but only the cape allows you to fly (which was done by pressing left and right). Also, the P wing allows infinite flight. The tanooki suit allowed you to turn into a statue.
Lost Levels is the JP SMB2, which is basically a sadistic level pack. All-Stars only had the "reskinned" SMB1, I believe.

All stars did have SMB Lost Levels

Xiraiya

Australia got the Lost Levels in All Stars, because I remember seeing the "Not released in the USA" stuff on it, but yeah I'm talking about a Reskinned Mario game that was in it which I thought looked WAY better.

Also I remember being completely shocked when I saw how different SNES was in the US compared to what we got.
Because this is what I knew as the SNES, and then when I was older I found out we got the Japanese one in English basically and the US got this square looking thing with 2 shades of purple/blue on buttons.

mike0dude

I wonder what kind of donuts do the best friends get at Tim Hortons.
I like the ones with chocolate or coffee on top, french cruller, chocolate or coffee boston ,
timbits,
my favorite is Straw berry jelly filled donut tho
tumblr_m1t4k3xYeC1r6xu90o2_500.jpg

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Outside of Mario Kart, I don't consider that a Mario game though since it's just racing.

I don't play Mario Kart either because I generally dislike racing games.

That's not to say that I wouldn't like them. I just haven't played a Mario game since Super Mario Bros. 3.

I wonder what kind of donuts do the best friends get at Tim Hortons.
I like the ones with chocolate or coffee on top, french cruller, chocolate or coffee boston ,
timbits,
my favorite is Straw berry jelly filled donut tho

I wish someone would make jelly donuts that look like rice balls. Their shape is really appealing. I remember watching pokemon and thinking "Man I want one of those"

Oh, also I actually enjoyed New Super Mario Bros U more than World.
We got screwed with the ugly SNES in the US, yeah.
I like it fine, but it's probably too ingrained in my memories with feelings of nostalgia for me to have any other opinion, or an objective one.

SNES is easily one of my my favorite controllers and has one of my favorite libraries.

Well, I finished the Amazing Spiderman movies. They weren't nearly as bad as I was led to believe. They still have nothing on the Maguire movies, but they were alright. They were definitely better than 3.

So I had to leave about halfway through ep 7 to take care of some business. Kyoko's back story was
brutal. Damn.
Enjoying the show so far. The best part so far is the music. It gives me a Nier vibe.

So I had to leave about halfway through ep 7 to take care of some business. Kyoko's back story was
brutal. Damn.
Enjoying the show so far. The best part so far is the music. It gives me a Nier vibe.

Yuki Kajura. Composer of Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero and Xenosaga Episode 2 (cutscenes) and Episode 3. My favorite composer next to Keiichi Okabe who did Nier and Drakengard 3.

I don't play Mario Kart either because I generally dislike racing games.

That's not to say that I wouldn't like them. I just haven't played a Mario game since Super Mario Bros. 3.

I haven't actually played most of the SNES and NES platforming Mario games.

Only one was the Doki Doki Panic clone.

It didn't help I never had a Nintendo Console as a kid so I never got the Appeal, love Zelda and Metroid though.

Top Bottom