• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 12: 12 Threads in and It's Still the tutorial

Quoting this from earlier this morning since I'd like more opinions on this. Need to know if I'm just being a dick or not. I did use the words masochistic and hating yourself in reference to watching SAO, so that might of been overstepping some boundaries and just being an asshole.

If the guy likes SAO then he likes SAO. Opinions are opinions.

Quoting this from earlier this morning since I'd like more opinions on this. Need to know if I'm just being a dick or not. I did use the words masochistic and hating yourself in reference to watching SAO, so that might of been overstepping some boundaries and just being an asshole.

People have different tastes. SAO has a lot of inherent flaws in the writing, characters and overarching story, but it appeals to a very specific subset of people and those people love it.

You just gotta let people have their tastes and focus on what you have in common, not what you don't.

Numb

As long as you enjoy playing the character, that's all that matters. You just gonna learn the game in your own way.
Cool. I already like him alot and if i can get slightly decent with him i would probably never pick anyone else like how i do King dedede. I love big or grappler characters. just waiting for Jax in MKX hopefully.

In a good way or bad way?

In a good way. but if you call staring at it for more than a couple of minutes that then yes.

Zenfalcia

Maybe a little? Maybe you should've been less outgoingly dissmissive of what they really like so quickly, since it'll make a bad first impression, especially for a person who really likes the series. Maybe try showing them other series and show them why SAO isn't good.
Korra is so dead, man
tumblr_me5q317J441rss05ao4_500.gif

Pour one out for korra.

semisonic

Banned

If he's weird I'm blaming you.
No, you don't have to hate yourself to watch SAO.
But it is a power fantasy, so...
You know.
The fact he mentioned he's autistic in an unrelated context a bunch of times is a bit strange, he must have been feeling really awkward in the conversation and used that to try and excuse himself.
It's easy to see as a kind of get out of awkward jail free card for us(hell, I've even used it once or twice, and mine isn't even bad), so that's that.
It doesn't seem like you super-overstepped your boundaries, but only you know for sure.
If someone likes something and you don't, it's not necessarily dickish to disagree, even vehemently. Sometimes those arguments can be fun. But again, only you know for sure.

sjay1994

Cool. I already like him alot and if i can get slightly decent with him i would probably never pick anyone else like how i do King dedede. I love big or grappler characters. just waiting for Jax in MKX hopefully.

In a good way. but if you call staring at it for more than a couple of minutes that then yes.

Jax aint happening.

His niece might be though.

I wish I could be excited for that game . I don't get the thing other people get playing a thing like Skyrim and going "oh, I'll go in this direction and see what happens", I wish I could though. I need objectives and shit.

Sometimes it's fun to create your own fun.

But Skyrim is wholly boring.

Zenfalcia

You know.
The fact he mentioned he's autistic in an unrelated context a bunch of times is a bit strange, he must have been feeling really awkward in the conversation and used that to try and excuse himself.
It's easy to see as a kind of get out of awkward jail free card for us(hell, I've even used it once or twice, and mine isn't even bad), so that's that.
It doesn't seem like you super-overstepped your boundaries, but only you know for sure.
If someone likes something and you don't, it's not necessarily dickish to disagree, even vehemently. Sometimes those arguments can be fun. But again, only you know for sure.

I also found it super weird how he kept bringing it up... Like you said, he seemed to using it as an excuse/crutch to explain himself.

Shackzam

You're gonna get Kano as your grappler and like it. lol, but play the game however way you want to. As long as you git gud.

I also found it super weird how he kept bringing it up... Like you said, he seemed to using it as an excuse/crutch to explain himself.

I've met a lot of people who use it as an excuse. Like semisonic said, it's like a get out of jail free card for being awkward, which, honestly makes sense and isn't too terrible of a reason.

Xiraiya

A real trooper, this guy. Thanks for your service.
Also, sort of off topic, but should I watch Gintama?

Yep, but the first 20 episodes are slow going (Depending on how you are, I like them just fine and a few others did too) and the double episode at the very beginning is filler, the Manga stuff starts at episode 3.

Overall the anime gets jokes and scenes across much better than the Manga, the manga is still good to read if you don't have time for anime, but the anime overall IS a better way to experience Gintama.

Nordicus

Naah I think you're taking his comment too seriously. You eventually dropped the topic and didn't go into a massive argument about it. With one of my friends, one of our first discussions together was a short argument about Witcher. He hated it, especially Geralt as a character, while I love 'em. Didn't bother us none.

semisonic

Banned

It's a defense mechanism. It might be part of the reason he's awkward, but he's using it to excuse it entirely. That's bad form, and he won't grow as a person if he continues to use it.
As I mentioned, back in my awkward Junior High days, I used it a few times, but that was only while I was working to get better(which I did).
Although, it sounds like it might be a bit too late for him anyways...

Numb

You're gonna get Kano as your grappler and like it. lol

I was really interested in that big guy but then i saw the little girl on top of him and i cringed. There is nothing i hate more than puppet characters. stands and personas dont count. Jax needs to be in there. he is so cool.

Skrams

If the guy likes SAO then he likes SAO. Opinions are opinions.

People have different tastes. SAO has a lot of inherent flaws in the writing, characters and overarching story, but it appeals to a very specific subset of people and those people love it.

You just gotta let people have their tastes and focus on what you have in common, not what you don't.

I figured this and I was asked to explain why I didn't like it. I explained the obvious reasons and then was kind of just met with a "eh." Stuff like that just bothers me. Sometimes I wish people gave more of a shit and didn't give up at any instance of a thing that might be considered an argument. At least that's how I see it. Might just be that he doesn't care and never cared.

Maybe a little? Maybe you should've been less outgoingly dissmissive of what they really like so quickly, since it'll make a bad first impression, especially for a person who really likes the series. Maybe try showing them other series and show them why SAO isn't good.

I mean, the guy likes Gurren, Kill La Kill, and a bunch of other stuff I can respect. I figured he might just like everything a little bit though because he's adopted the ways of Aaron without remembering it's okay to dislike bad things. He even brought up the best friends by himself. I probably should of asked if he liked JoJo or Ippo since I think he listens to the podcast.

You know.

Different people. I'm referring to the 28 year old guy who isn't autistic. The younger guy who saw SAO only once referred to himself as autistic multiple times. The times he did use it were in the fashion you mentioned. A get out jail free card for certain things like misunderstanding me using the word gross.

Naah I think you're taking his comment too seriously. You eventually dropped the topic and didn't go into a massive argument about it. With one of my friends, one of our first discussions together was a short argument about Witcher. He hated it, especially Geralt as a character, while I love 'em. Didn't bother us none.

Eh, I did bring it up in a single sentence once or twice later. I think I said it was a weird Venn diagram of liking SAO, hating souls, liking Gurren, and then other junk.

semisonic

Banned
I figured this and I was asked to explain why I didn't like it. I explained the obvious reasons and then was kind of just met with a "eh." Stuff like that just bothers me. Sometimes I wish people gave more of a shit and didn't give up at any instance of a thing that might be considered an argument. At least that's how I see it. Might just be that he doesn't care and never cared.

I mean, the guy likes Gurren, Kill La Kill, and a bunch of other stuff I can respect. I figured he might just like everything a little bit though because he's adopted the ways of Aaron without remembering it's okay to dislike bad things.

Different people. I'm referring to the 28 year old guy who isn't autistic. The younger guy who saw SAO only once referred to himself as autistic multiple times. The times he did use it were in the fashion you mentioned. A get out jail free card for certain things like misunderstanding me using the word gross.
Okay. One point that you should understand, though, is that autists, especially in school, get a strange mix of preferential treatment, discrimination, and condescension that makes it easy for us to develop complexes, persecution and otherwise. That really means that you should hopefully be understanding and a bit forgiving, but still, it's not good to allow him to use it as a social panacea of sorts. But that's more for his own growth. And it may not be your place to inform him of such.

Xiraiya

Got a question, what makes a Good or Ok character design and where does one even start? (Research? Random sketches? Primary material?)

Well I think it's pretty subjective but there are still basic things that I think a lot of people can agree on. I think the character should at least make sense in the context of which he/she exists.
Personally I find less is more with characters I really enjoy, a generic looking character in a really awesome story or with an incredible personality can be infinitely better than an extravagant looking character with an okay story/personality.

Top Bottom