• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 12: 12 Threads in and It's Still the tutorial

Zenfalcia

In a good way. but if you call staring at it for more than a couple of minutes that then yes.

It's the best.
I've met a lot of people who use it as an excuse. Like semisonic said, it's like a get out of jail free card for being awkward, which, honestly makes sense and isn't too terrible of a reason.

I'm more concerned on how many times he used it in the conversation and how much he emphasized it. I mean, it's not a bad thing to tell people since it'll help them understand you more, at least that's the objective of it.
It's a defense mechanism. It might be part of the reason he's awkward, but he's using it to excuse it entirely. That's bad form, and he won't grow as a person if he continues to use it.
As I mentioned, back in my awkward Junior High days, I used it a few times, but that was only while I was working to get better(which I did).
Although, it sounds like it might be a bit too late for him anyways...

That's what I was thinking, it's too easy to use. He didn't really need to bring it up entirely, since he could've just seemed like a nervous guy and nothing more. Although if he really needs to explain it through that method, it's fine as long as he doesn't over use it. 5 times is a bit much. I think it was mentioned that he used it about 5 times? If not then I'm super wrong.
I mean, the guy likes Gurren, Kill La Kill, and a bunch of other stuff I can respect. I figured he might just like everything a little bit though because he's adopted the ways of Aaron without remembering it's okay to dislike bad things. He even brought up the best friends by himself. I probably should of asked if he liked JoJo or Ippo since I think he listens to the podcast.

He might not like it for the same reasons you think he likes it, but that's a totally different argument.

Skrams

Okay. One point that you should understand, though, is that autists, especially in school, get a strange mix of preferential treatment, discrimination, and condescension that makes it easy for us to develop complexes, persecution and otherwise. That really means that you should hopefully be understanding and a bit forgiving, but still, it's not good to allow him to use it as a social panacea of sorts. But that's more for his own growth. And it may not be your place to inform him of such.

I barely know the guy, so I don't really feel like it's my place to stop him. I didn't really tiptoe at all though with my dialogue and how I spoke about things. He was a very functioning person, so I talked with him like how I'd talk with anyone else in the same situation.

He might not like it for the same reasons you think he likes it, but that's a totally different argument.

Sure, I just wish he explained it rather than giving me an "eh." He brought up people having different opinions and people liking different things because reasons. He's not wrong obviously, but I just find that kind of stuff lazy when you hand wave it away.

semisonic

Banned
I barely know the guy, so I don't really feel like it's my place to stop him. I didn't really tiptoe at all though with my dialogue and how I spoke about things. He was a very functioning person, so I talked with him like how I'd talk with anyone else in the same situation.

Attaboy.

demidar

Got a question, what makes a Good or Ok character design and where does one even start? (Research? Random sketches? Primary material?)

One that is in tune with the personality of the person and that makes sense in the context of the world they inhabit. Female knights for example wouldn't have cleavage or plates molded in the shape of their boobs because that's really dumb.

Alisha (your avatar) is a good character design (appropriately armoured with an overshirt to allow for a bit of personality) except she's wearing bloomers and her thigh-area is uncovered which is dumb as shit.

Think about what a character would wear that would help their job/work.

Xiraiya

One that is in tune with the personality of the person and that makes sense in the context of the world they inhabit. Female knights for example wouldn't have cleavage or plates molded in the shape of their boobs because that's really dumb.

I think it's okay to be a little stylized, just not to the extent most people take it.

Look at these nerds

Especially Liam :p

Nah, this is the official version, the canon video for the channel.

If he linked the magfest channel video then he'd be late.

If the internet has taught me anything, doing something first and stating that in the comment section for everyone to see is the best way to handle such situations.
Magfest wins
Flawless victory

i-don-t-care-dance-o.gif

I think my bullshit worked

Zenfalcia

Sure, I just wish he explained it rather than giving me an "eh." He brought up people having different opinions and people liking different things because reasons. He's not wrong obviously, but I just find that kind of stuff lazy when you hand wave it away.

Maybe he's had that argument or doesn't want to have that discussion, who knows... Either way, no harm done.

Xiraiya

Oh yeah that's fine. More fantastical settings can sort of get away with it because Magical Protection Enchantments or whatever but don't take it too far.
Well I just mean that for example you can justify a slightly feminized suit of armor without hindering how well it would logically protect the body from physical damage, not too much of course, but enough.
But that's one thing I love in the Souls series, I think female characters look awesome in armor that doesn't try to accentuate anything about their gender, even though it also has armor that does.

demidar

Well I just mean that for example you can justify a slightly feminized suit of armor without hindering how well it would logically protect the body from physical damage, not too much of course, but enough.
But that's one thing I love in the Souls series, I think female characters look awesome in armor that doesn't try to accentuate anything about their gender, even though it also has armor that does.

Are you thinking about the armour the Fire Keeper in Anor Londo wears?

To be honest, it sounds like an immensely difficult thing to pull off.

Skrams

Maybe he's had that argument or doesn't want to have that discussion, who knows... Either way, no harm done.

He mentioned he understood why people didn't like it earlier, but didn't really care. I think the only thing I really got out of it was that Gurren=Unreal=Ridiculous=Good, so obviously SAO=Unreal=Ridiculous=Good. Also it's fine because they're not blood related and they're only cousins. Also because it's anime.

I don't know why, but the idea of meeting someone who hates SAO as much as me seems great. Maybe I just want someone to jerk hate boners with.

tasteofaliar.jpeg

I don't know why this exists, but I love it.

360pages

People tend to forget that things like Naruto/ One Piece and even SAO. (Though One Piece and Naruto are leagues above the writing in SAO, and yes I do think Naruto Part 2 is still crap)

But the reason why they appeal to such a wide demographic is because they are easy to digest and are long. JoJo would probably reach that if it had more exposure, but while I love Gurren and Kill La Kill, I don't think they have that appeal. (And no, it's not because of the Fanservice of the latter or anything like that) more the writing and how the story is presented that might push away casual viewers.

Zenfalcia

He mentioned he understood why people didn't like it earlier, but didn't really care. I think the only thing I really got out of it was that Gurren=Unreal=Ridiculous=Good, so obviously SAO=Unreal=Ridiculous=Good. Also it's fine because they're not blood related and they're only cousins. Also because it's anime.

I don't know why, but the idea of meeting someone who hates SAO as much as me seems great. Maybe I just want someone to jerk hate boners with.

Hey, he knows why people didn't like it, so he's got that going for him...

Sharing is caring. Especially hate boners.

Jman014

Life is Strange.
The main character sends a text saying "kek" as a response to something. Does she play as Alliance on World of Warcraft. I like this girl.

Numb

His best moment though was the
MUDAMUDAMUDA beat down he gives to Cioccolatta that goes on for several pages. Glorious.

He is the only JoJo that took me forever to understand what his powers did.
introducing a main characters abilities as something that turns objects and gives them life that then reflects the damages if attacked was weird. i thought that frog was gonna be his stand

demidar

Such good characters/ Designs, I wish they were used for a Regular RPG rather than a Murder Mystery game.

If there's one thing I wish were better in anime character designs, it's a higher diversity in female character appearance.

That's actually one of the great things about Hunter X Hunter, most of the female characters look very different.

Well I think it's pretty subjective but there are still basic things that I think a lot of people can agree on. I think the character should at least make sense in the context of which he/she exists.
Personally I find less is more with characters I really enjoy, a generic looking character in a really awesome story or with an incredible personality can be infinitely better than an extravagant looking character with an okay story/personality.

If there's something going on, it should be for a reason and fit in with the character

It depends on tastes. I'm a fan of simple designs, with something unique about the concept.

Alisha (your avatar) is a good character design (appropriately armoured with an overshirt to allow for a bit of personality) except she's wearing bloomers and her thigh-area is uncovered which is dumb as shit.

Think about what a character would wear that would help their job/work.

Thanks for the responses, got a clearer idea of what I need to do now. Seems a lot simpler than I thought it would be

Jman014

Wait, silver foxes are older men only, right? The other day I meant Lin,
Kya and Suyin.
I don't know what the term is for them, though. Not silver foxes, apparently.

Numb

Oh neat. Lizard Squad took down PSN again, I think.

Does sony even care anymore? They will just give you another 10% off your cart or something.

I wanted Bayonetta in smash but Wonder Red seems more fitting. I am really really hoping that we might get him as dlc.

semisonic

Banned
Does sony even care anymore? They will just give you another 10% off your cart or something.

I wanted Bayonetta in smash but Wonder Red seems more fitting. I am really really hoping that we might get him as dlc.

I want it too, but it won't happen.
Or it'll just be olimar again.
Fuck olimar.

semisonic

Banned
Thanks for the responses, got a clearer idea of what I need to do now. Seems a lot simpler than I thought it would be

I'm late on this, but try looking to Persona and the SMT games for tips.
Persona has very simple, effective designs that reflect a lot about the character with little details.

Top Bottom