• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 12: 12 Threads in and It's Still the tutorial

croten

It was by far the worst one and people ripped his arguments apart in the neogaf thread that mentioned it. His earlier vids were a lot stronger as those did contain some decent, albeit basic and limited design recommendations.

It is true to an extent though, there are a lot of points in OoT where you are just watching long unskippable cutscenes or talking to navi with slow ass text about how to push a fucking block or that goddamn owl.

I miss those days, just walking into a room and blasting random walls and the floor and recreating the laser hallway scene from Resident Evil.
Oh, so much fun. But gearbox said no. No fun for you. Have a fair, balanced game.
I don't want that shit, I want to break that shit all day long!

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Some MH3U happenings going on?

Feel free to hop in. Now we got a full party. The rooms about helping me hunt Rathians and other monsters so I can get a decent armor set. I'm only like 15 hours into the game.

Party is: Mathaou, a lurker named Rex, SemiSonic, and Gummy (if he chooses to join).

Heeeeey! The gun working the way it does isn't my fault. It's just part of the game =P. But really, the fibber makes practically any other gun obsolete at that point and soloing raid bosses actually becomes somewhat easy with it. Look into it if you want to. None of my other weapons managed to come close to the same damage output. That's why I kept saying the mechromancer is nuuuuuuuts on normal. The mod basically increases the base damage by another 350% due to the 200 extra anarchy stacks.
Huh. I remember that gun being dogshit if it's the one I'm thinking of.

It is true to an extent though, there are a lot of points in OoT where you are just watching long unskippable cutscenes or talking to navi with slow ass text about how to push a fucking block or that goddamn owl.
Most of that is just growing pains teaching a tiny babby how to play a 3D game for the first time.

croten

I rarely acknowledge Navi's existence and the owl is really rare anyway. You're right that OoT does have its imperfections (All of them do. WW has sailing, MM has its level design inconsistencies, control issues while swimming, glitches and terribly designed second and third boss), but his general video has some massive holes in it. I won't be going into it now as I'm about to go to sleep, but I recommend looking through the thread if you want to. There are definitely shitty posts in there as well, as is always the case with everything, but there are some really well written counter-arguments to be found.

I won't deny that his video was full of holes I just agree with that one point. When the game slows down it reeaaally slows down. it's an issue I see with a lot of games from that era
Most of that is just growing pains teaching a tiny babby how to play a 3D game for the first time.

Which takes far too much time than it should and is mostly unskippable if I recall. I don't need Navi to spend a full minute telling me how to push blocks or open doors.

sjay1994

Idk I haven't played a CoD game since Blops.

Kevin Spacey Warfare was pretty good.

Felt like an FPS Dead Space, if the necromorphs were North Korean, if the guns dismembered people, or if Isacc had sick air dodges.

So really nothing like Dead Space, asides from HUD elements.

Kevin Spacey Warfare was pretty good.

Felt like an FPS Dead Space, if the necromorphs were North Korean, if the guns dismembered people, or if Isacc had sick air dodges.

So really nothing like Dead Space, asides from HUD elements.

Man fuck CoD..and fuck EA for destroying probably the best chance Survival Horror has had for awhile..Dead Space 1 was fantastic..the rest were garbage.

I won't deny that his video was full of holes I just agree with that one point. When the game slows down it reeaaally slows down. it's an issue I see with a lot of games from that era

Which takes far too much time than it should and is mostly unskippable if I recall. I don't need Navi to spend a full minute telling me how to push blocks or open doors.
yeah, I'm not excusing it, just explaining it.
Tutorials that go on awhile and are done with character dialogue. They're just there to teach kids and hand hold.

360pages

Those were more nitpicks though. They aren't that intrusive and he acts like they take a minute where they are no longer than 15secs.

You can also ignore Navi completely.

croten

Considering it was the first 3D Zelda game, they might have considered it as a necessary evil. Inconvenient for sure, but it rarely takes more than a few seconds. I like the cutscenes, as the build-up of its world and ganondorf as the game's villain is sublime, but I can understand it being an annoyance at later playthroughs. But a lot of 3D zelda games seem to have the same issue, not just OoT. Seems Nintendo wants to play it safe.

I know it's not exclusive to OoT, I just think it was done worse in OoT. Which, like you said, is most likely due to it being the first 3D zelda.

mmk fuck this whole going for the best gear thing
some of this stuff looks ugly as hell
that being said im getting Rafaga set for Melia so she can look like a Battle Mage Valkyrie hybrid

Considering it was the first 3D Zelda game, they might have considered it as a necessary evil. Inconvenient for sure, but it rarely takes more than a few seconds. I like the cutscenes, as the build-up of its world and ganondorf as the game's villain is sublime, but I can understand it being an annoyance at later playthroughs. But a lot of 3D zelda games seem to have the same issue, not just OoT. Seems Nintendo wants to play it safe.

Z targeting was The best gameplay innovation of the 3d series.

Miyamoto nailed down how to attack enemies in 3 dimensional space with accuracy, even if it made zero sense in the context of a Zelda story.

croten

Those were more nitpicks though. They aren't that intrusive and he acts like they take a minute where they are no longer than 15secs.

You can also ignore Navi completely.

Some of them can go on for quite a while and Navi is intolerable in the Deku Tree. The game picks up more as you progress though, I just feel like the child stuff is a bit of a slog, pacing wise.

Some of them can go on for quite a while and Navi is intolerable in the Deku Tree. The game picks up more as you progress though, I just feel like the child stuff is a bit of a slog, pacing wise.
The locked, slow text speed makes it rough.
Best Ocarina of Time Review
There's a sub reddit dedicated to the whole situation trying to figure out what happened. It's pretty interesting but Bleh Internet drama. I'd rather have Jontron make his own videos.
Weird, and yeah, I'm glad Jon's doing his own stuff. It's way better.

360pages

I will agree with that, though I honestly think most Zelda games are far slowly at their start. Actually all the 3D Zelda games are a hell of lot slower.

sjay1994

Well they are basically the same game.

Can you do this in COD or Battlefield?

2olchnT.gif

I think FC4 was probably my GOTY last year (I don't have a wiiU)

I will agree with that, though I honestly think most Zelda games are far slowly at their start. Actually all the 3D Zelda games are a hell of lot slower.
The opening in the games just get longer and longer. Majora has a really quick intro, but Wind Waker has you dick around the island, and its alright. Twilight Princess and SS go overboard.

croten

Yep, it's absolutely fantastic.

Yeah, have to make sure you hold the hands of all the new kids. Again, I didn't have issues with it as they're incredibly minor inconveniences (aside from unskippable cutscenes), but I can understand that not being the case for others.

I wouldn't consider it too minor as I always get pissed by it, even when I was a dumb little babby I found that shit awful.

I really wish they fix some of the major flaws Majora's Mask has for the 3DS version. I really like that game, but while it does do some really cool stuff, it ended up riding its "I'm different" quality (despite not being all that different) more than anything else.
What did you want them to change?

360pages

The opening in the games just get longer and longer. Majora has a really quick intro, but Wind Waker has you dick around the island, and its alright. Twilight Princess and SS go overboard.

Eh, even Majora's mask has the problem where you're fucking around as a Deku Scrub for a mandatory 52min before you start the game proper.

Top Bottom