• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 12: 12 Threads in and It's Still the tutorial

Finally finished Xenosaga 3! Made a thread about it. There are spoilers though, but you guys probably know by now how I feel about the game from my posts.
Go get that secret boss! Xenosaga 3 spoilers:
The betrayal of Shion and Allen snapping her out of it was the coolest scene imo. God damn the build up to that moment was superb. I don't know much of Jr's main deal with Albedo, so I can't really say I had much attachment to his part of the story.

I'll post here instead of your thread. To hide from shame

Go get that secret boss! Xenosaga 3 spoilers:
The betrayal of Shion and Allen snapping her out of it was the coolest scene imo. God damn the build up to that moment was superb. I don't know much of Jr's main deal with Albedo, so I can't really say I had much attachment to his part of the story.

I'll post here instead of your thread. To hide from shame

The second half of Xenosaga 1 and all of 2 have to do with the Albedo/Jr scene and it gives a lot of emotional moments for 3 when they finally unite with the death of Gaignun.
I'd recommend checking out the movies of 1 and 2 on youtube if you don't want to play them just to get the full expereince

And I'm definitely going for that secret boss. Homework is gonna make me take a little time to do it though.

joe2187

Banned
So, how many of you played Majora's Mask? That games atmosphere is amazing, once again, like EarthBound, something that actually uses the fact that it's a game to tell its story and would be impossible to tell it as properly if it was something else

Despite owning alot of the games when they originally released, ive only ever played ALBW, and never finished it.

i also never played a metroid game, i owned the GBA one and i remember trading it for an army men game

sjay1994

This has made my day

NuMC3ZK.gif

Finally donated to Shadowrun Hong Kong. Now I've got that off my chest either: back Hong Kong; or play Dragonfall then donate to Hong Kong.

I've got so much to catch up on now. I'm fully caught up on Matt's solo NMH run. It is really nice. Also NMH was a game I played a lot a lot, more than I should've so I really appreciate this more in-depth look into the game.

This has made my day

NuMC3ZK.gif

Holy fuck this has also made my day.

Jman014

The Royal Rumble!
Ron-Paul_Its-Happening1.gif

Finally donated to Shadowrun Hong Kong. Now I've got that off my chest either: back Hong Kong; or play Dragonfall then donate to Hong Kong.

I've got so much to catch up on now. I'm fully caught up on Matt's solo NMH run. It is really nice. Also NMH was a game I played a lot a lot, more than I should've so I really appreciate this more in-depth look into the game.

Holy fuck this has also made my day.
The Shadowrun universe is so cool. I'd go for a Telltale Shadowrun game.
Who doesn't?

Hopefully that rage thing pays off in some way.

I don't hate them. I like their positivity.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Nothing so far, I think?

I just went on a rampage on rightstuf and just now regained my senses. I put both seasons of Silver Spoon, a preorder for the collectors edition of the 2nd Persona 3 movie, and the blu ray collectors edition of Toradora in my cart.

If I just click a button I could have them all...

But... I need that money...

SONUVABITCH.

Joose I totally blame you for indirectly leading to me finally pulling the trigger on buying a $130 pair of cans.

I'm so excited, it's been nearly a year since I've had good headphones.

edit: Oh hey I summoned you.

Oh man I finally got to the
GOLD
boss in P2:EP after dying a few times. What a fucking clutch fight
Joose I totally blame you for indirectly leading to me finally pulling the trigger on me buying a $130 pair of cans.

Sorry/You're welcome. Which did you get?

Joose I totally blame you for indirectly leading to me finally pulling the trigger on buying a $130 pair of cans.

Nothing is better that high quality sounding music

I just went on a rampage on rightstuf and just now regained my senses. I put both seasons of Silver Spoon, a preorder for the collectors edition of the 2nd Persona 3 movie, and the blu ray collectors edition of Toradora in my cart.

This is the smart move. Better to save that purchase until you have the income to spend on it

Zenfalcia

SONUVABITCH.

It's fine!! Just make some more money to buy them in the future, it's not like they'll ever sell out or anything.

What did you get?
I use dis and roddit everyday.

I had an addiction to imgur.. I stopped now. Only during times of boredom induced death I go to kill time.

Oh man I finally got to the
GOLD
boss in P2:EP after dying a few times. What a fucking clutch fight
Don't you love
Old Maid
? God damn the
Jokers
are so cool. They have my favorite gimmick.
Also choose Kei over Eriko since you did P1. I made the mistake of taking him instead and got super confused, but hyped.

I had a pretty limited selection since I was using a $100 refund from newegg (that's a long story), so I just grabbed Sennheiser HD 518s.

Not my first choice, but for $100 off, I did ok. (I only actually paid like $30)
It's true. I missed it so bad.

Sennheiser makes some killer cans, so you got yourself a bargin.

Jman014

I think they're going to win, I at least hope WWE isn't dumb enough to bury new guys for these old men who wrestle a couple times a year.
Yeah that would be a bad idea
Ugh fuck The Ascension..they're good but fuck are they boring..
WE WERE BORN AND BRED TO RIP AND SHRED
I had an addiction to imgur.. I stopped now. Only during times of boredom induced death I go to kill time.

It's gewd stuff, man. Just below NeoGAF for me.

semisonic

Banned
I am not going to read that now. Tell me what you want me to know.

Before you do though, let me explain what I mean: MM's themes are direct and all-encompassing. It's story is still very well written and built up, there's no doubt about that. What I meant is that I enjoy a more background, subtle approach when it comes to darker themes. I like having disturbing shit hidden just in the corner of your eye, making an otherwise normal world seem out of place. When you look into certain other Zelda games, you come across some deeply fucked shit, but its hidden behind a cover of a happy, fantastic world. Majora's Mask is the embodiment of said disturbing content. Its entire world revolves around it, which is fine, but the individual impact of its pieces aren't as strong due to them being the same. In actuality, it's not that it's totally different from all other Zelda games, it's that its focus lies elsewhere. Think contrast and think about why exactly that
tree area inside that moon
is such a brilliant moment.

Other than that and some general issues, it's built up incredibly well. Lacking subtlety might not have been the right way to say it.

Yes, all of this is certainly true, but the key message of the game is as a metaphor for growth into adulthood, continuing from and contrasting Ocarina. In ocarina, the transformation into an adult was a largely physical process, and a very empowering one nonetheless. In Majora's, it's an emotional maturation that determines the nature of adulthood, built up through the collection of masks, which in themselves are metaphors for the relationships that you build as you develop as a person. Moreover, the fact that you keep your masks throughout the resetting of time despite the fact that they no longer remember you demonstrates that relationships are a transformative process that have an impact regardless. All of the figures around you (skull kid, the four giants, tatl, the happy mask salesman) have various views that compete for your attention, presenting many conflicting, often combative viewpoints, many of which are similarly valid, on what it means to live as an adult. This helps demonstrate that adult life is infinitely complex and confusing, yet the fact that all of your relationships, or masks, are gained through a shared empathy demonstrates that no matter how complex adult life is in concept, its much easier to live than to understand. When you come to the end of the game, you run into the children, who all present you with questions on the nature of adulthood as they strip away your masks, or symbolically various experiences and relationships, leaving behind only the core lessons taken away, forming your own adult identity, symbolized by the gaining of the fierce deity mask; the mask of an adult.
Child 1: Your friends…What kind of…people are they? I wonder…Do those
people…think of you…as a friend?
Child 2: You…What makes you…happy? I wonder…What makes you happy…does it
make…others happy, too?
Child 3: The right thing…What is it? I wonder…If you do the right thing…Does it really
make…everybody…happy?
Child 4: Your true face…What kind of…face is it? I wonder…The face under the
mask…Is that…your true face?
As an adult(the form granted by the fierce deity mask), you have incomprehensible power compared to majora, who suggests a game of good guys vs. bad guys. Except, you're the bad guy. Since I can't paraphrase this last part very well:
It is a strange item to give away at first glance, but this final mask arguably represents how the child sees Link and perhaps adulthood itself: as physical height, extended abilities and overwhelming power—everything Ocarina of Time claimed it to be. This ideology is so gripping that the child imagines the adult as a god whose ferocity cannot be understated. But the child is trapped in the snare and only the player can see the truth: that it is a mask crafted from the plurality of experience; a mask forged from an unwavering empathy for other people and the values that carry them through life; a mask that sees in a child the potential for adulthood. It is a powerful textual moment, when a game employs its configurative nature and triad of languages to express an idea without ever saying anything about it

So yeah. I left out a buuuunch of stuff, but this is the tl;dr of the paper, and moreover, of the game.
So, to reiterate:
It's subtle.
It's really fucking subtle and deep, moreso than perhaps any other zelda game.
And that's fucking radical.
I still think you should read the paper, but this is the very simplified jist of it. It's really good.

Jman014

O no theyre chanting Cena Sucks. I wonder how bad the guy actually feels whenever he hears that.
They do the "We're here to raid your women and rape your villages" gimmick well.
No theyre not THAT evil. Anyways, theyre not as tall as the Road Warriors.. Those guys were big.
Guys, I am going to sayonara for next few days as school is my main priority.

Give me your strength and support

Good luck

Top Bottom