• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 12: 12 Threads in and It's Still the tutorial

You know, while I'm not going to complain about you saying that, I don't believe you actually think that.

I actually do. Having played Crisis Core quite a while ago and 7 not too long after (at least about 60% into the game) Cloud is just a nothing when he stops thinking he's Zack.

I don't like Squall either, but at least Squall has a personality. A shit one mind you, but he's at least his own person.

Xiraiya

I'm aware of the poorly translated FF8 stories.
I prefer Locke. Or Zidane.

I'm genuinely interested in FF9 since I've always heard really good things and saw nothing that contracted that, both Beloved and I are curious about it, we'll probably check it out at some point.

I don't actually mind. And I don't blame you, pink hair is hot.

It seems like he thinks it more than he says it in the English version anyway.
Yeah it is, in all fairness Lightning is hot, but she has zero personality and that kills the character for me. Sazh, incredibly racist character, but really likeable. Hope was okay too.

Well fuck that's probably the worst.
Gotta find that post I guess...
It turned me into the cloud of hatred and fart gas that I am today!

OT 10 and 9 had some really good RealGAF moments.

They really did, didn't they Bud?

Beloved

I'm really curious to see your thoughts once you finish 8, even though I already know in part what they are.

I will definitely give you my in depth analysis.

So far I've enjoyed it immensely despite the fact it has also frustrated me repeatedly at times.

No idea. I don't really care for JRPG's anymore but the DMC looking combat mixed with open world lovely graphics and is enough for me to want to give it a chance :D
I'm really hesitant still. After seeing what sqeenix has done of late, I'm gonna keep my distance. For a while at least.

Yup that's fair enough.

Are you watching the Royal Rumble?

I think there was a match between him and Cena that people REALLY HATED.

BORK

I get what you mean but I can't really agree. I mean look at FF12. You see and control Vaan first and he has absolutely zero impact on anything going on in that game. He wasn't even intended to be in the game at first.

I guess that makes sense. Vaan was kinda shoehorned halfway trough the game, so he's not really the MC. Guess it really depends on the story and screen time.

Oh yeah, melodrama. Can't get enough of that.

Thing is that the flashbacks and limp romance interrupt what should be this great narrative of small disjointed group of people vs big scary gov't body.

I love the game's opening sequence, but it began on way too high of a note.

Beloved

Yeah it is, in all fairness Lightning is hot, but she has zero personality and that kills the character for me. Sazh, incredibly racist character, but really likeable. Hope was okay too.

I can't give a fair opinion on her personality yet until I play 13 myself. Her character design is great though.

I always kind of expected her personality to remind me of Saber from the Fate series. Which in F/Z is kind of boring, but in F/SN is much more interesting, in my opinion at least.

Xiraiya

I can't give a fair opinion on her personality yet until I play 13 myself. Her character design is great though.
I always kind of expected her personality to remind me of Saber from the Fate series. Which in F/Z is kind of boring, but in F/SN is much more interesting, in my opinion at least.

You know what, I could definitely imagine that being the case, now I'm more curious.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Johnny Yong Bosch just showed up out of nowhere in Beck. He always plays the articulate, confident type who doesn't get pushed around recently. The role suits him.

He's still an "unstoppable machine" if that's what you mean. He only comes out to win matches
UM9M5hk.gif

I'm talking shit like this

I'm reading everything in here all the time. I'm losing details now, but I think I remember mostly everything.

I can't read all this madness. You guys are too crazy

I really need to watch F/Z, maybe I'll start it Tuesday <.< Once I Feb 4th rolls around I won't have time for any animay.

croten

I'm not sure you're right, but it is more plausible if you change it to most. I hated lightning from 13 on. She was a terribly written character who lacked any emotional depth whatsoever and sucked the life out of every scene she was in. She's an aggressive, whiny piece of garbage who eventually didn't add anything to the game's plot and only existed because Toriyama couldn't stop pulling on his dick for one second at the thought of her. She's a nothing character who has nothing going for her other than her shitty, generic, pink haired, "hot cool girl" design.

At least I can say something about the rest of the cast. Hope is a insecure, whiny, emotionally damaged tool. Fang is a brash idiot. Sazh is a calm, lighthearted walking stereotype. Snow is an overly optimistic airhead. Vanille is clearly an obnoxious alien from another planet pretending to be human, so she doesn't count. Lightning? Uhhh...stern? Rigid? I dunno, who gives a shit. I always hated the character, I only hated her more when she became the lead star of an entire generation's worth of Final Fantasy.
But cool design tho
I have no particular interest in her design.

Squall you mean?

Hes a child soldier being manipulated into fighting a war that he himself doesn't not believe in. His emotions are all over the place.
Yeah boo hoo. I'd care if he had an emotion other than apathy. The game tries to paint the picture that his life is just so awful, but no matter what happens, his response is generally the same. Why should I care when something happens to make him miserable when he's already miserable. Nothing ever changes.

We should all start retro Square(soft) titles at some point while the Best Friends are playing some of them. I'm playing Legend of Dragoon myself

Beloved

Squall's emotions are understandable and his inner thoughts are all over the place just like any real person's are, especially in high stress situations.

People are constantly asking for more and more from him, pushing him to make extremely difficult decisions (decisions that realistically, a teenager shouldnt have to make) and yet despite his desire to say "Fuck it, I don't want to do this", he does it anyway, because he knows it's the right thing to do, and as cynical as he may be, he wants people to be able to rely on him.

He definitely starts off as too much of an asshole but he gets development and really tries to work on himself, even though he has that inner part of himself saying "You can only trust yourself" and things like that.

Frankly so far I feel like his character has been judged too harshly. I'm halfway through the 2nd disc so we'll see if I stick to that opinion once I'm done.

Matt's dropping all kinds of fore-shadowing/spoilers for people who haven't played No More Heroes in the latest video.
Eh, it's nothing that really spoils or ruins the very late game cutscenes, ESPECIALLY the true ending. Besides, they already did a NMH2 LP so it's already kind of going on the assumption that people watched that or were already familiar with it.

Also I am now going to continue listening to this song again for the rest of the evening while lamenting the fact it's not in Heroes' Paradise.

Top Bottom