• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 12: 12 Threads in and It's Still the tutorial

Xiraiya

As for 9, I'll play it when it comes out on Steam.

I wonder if it will, It's never had a PC release before, so it might never happen since it seems like it's kind of underrated, but maybe it will.

That reminds me, Japan's version of FF8 on PC got fixed up nicer than the English version as there was never a Japanese version of the PC release.
MegUfr.png

Eh, it's nothing that really spoils or ruins the very late game cutscenes, ESPECIALLY the true ending. Besides, they already did a NMH2 LP so it's already kind of going on the assumption that people watched that or were already familiar with it.

But that doesn't work for people who are unfamiliar with the franchise in the first place.

Yeah boo hoo. I'd care if he had an emotion other than apathy. The game tries to paint the picture that his life is just so awful, but no matter what happens, his response is generally the same. Why should I care when something happens to make him miserable when he's already miserable. Nothing ever changes.

So he's exactly like any other moody teenager that thinks the worlds gonna end when bad shit happens?

Eh, it's nothing that really spoils or ruins the very late game cutscenes, ESPECIALLY the true ending. Besides, they already did a NMH2 LP so it's already kind of going on the assumption that people watched that or were already familiar with it.

Also I am now going to continue listening to this song again for the rest of the evening while lamenting the fact it's not in Heroes' Paradise.
Oh man, I don't think I've heard that version. At least lately. I've been listening to the "naomi version"

Sometimes I completely forget Netflix is a thing o.o I never use it.

I'll be starting it maybe tomorrow? I'm gonna be really busy tomorrow.
Hehe, same here. I hopped on and suddenly saw shows that were in my backlog.

Be advised the first like ~8 minutes were dry as shit, but it picks up fast.

So he's exactly like any other moody teenager that thinks the worlds gonna end when bad shit happens?
I don't expect him to be all puppies and rainbows all the time, but he could've, oh I don't know, cracked a smile every once in a while? Y'know, like real humans do. Cause his life, while shitty I'll grant you, was not constantly god awful. There were good parts as well as bad, and his character should have reflected that.

360pages

I don't mind asshole characters, actually I wouldn't mind a story where a character starts off as an asshole, but still remains one by the end. And this person actually be one of the good guys. The closest we got was a certain character from Dangaronpa.

Part of the reason why Long haired Luke from Tales of the Abyss is far more interesting and entertaining than Short Haired Luke.

All right, so I'm rewatching The Wire and got reminded of how people seem to compare The Shield to this for some dumb reason, despite them being incredibly different kind of shows. And then I remembered something: Did Pat ever mention finishing The Shield?
Edit: Oh hey, Pat's here.

I didn't. I couldn't stand a single second more of Shanes fucking stupid face.

Beloved

Yeah boo hoo. I'd care if he had an emotion other than apathy. The game tries to paint the picture that his life is just so awful, but no matter what happens, his response is generally the same. Why should I care when something happens to make him miserable when he's already miserable. Nothing ever changes.

Squall isn't indifferent and he doesn't lack concern for others so he's not apathetic.

Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views.
I feel like a helpless puppet being manipulated in some major scheme.

It feels great to have friends who believe in you, and adults you can rely on.

I worry too much about what other people think of me.

I didnt want to look more and spoil myself but yeah, uh, there's more than one emotion in those quotes and none of them are apathy.

I don't mind asshole characters, actually I wouldn't mind a story where a character starts off as an asshole, but still remains one by the end. And this person actually be one of the good guys. The closest we got was a certain character from Dangaronpa.

Part of the reason why Long haired Luke from Tales of the Abyss is far more interesting and entertaining than Short Haired Luke.

This fuckin' guy doesn't change

So Caim from Drakengard.

This too

Xiraiya

Squall's emotions are understandable and his inner thoughts are all over the place just like any real person's are, especially in high stress situations.

People are constantly asking for more and more from him, pushing him to make extremely difficult decisions (decisions that realistically, a teenager shouldnt have to make) and yet despite his desire to say "Fuck it, I don't want to do this", he does it anyway, because he knows it's the right thing to do, and as cynical as he may be, he wants people to be able to rely on him.

He definitely starts off as too much of an asshole but he gets development and really tries to work on himself, even though he has that inner part of himself saying "You can only trust yourself" and things like that.

Frankly so far I feel like his character has been judged too harshly. I'm halfway through the 2nd disc so we'll see if I stick to that opinion once I'm done.

Yeah more or less, and he just keeps going in that good direction to the end of the game basically, before I played any FF game I had heard only a couple of things, that VII was awesome, and that Squall is emo.

I've played through most of disk 1 in VII a few times (Even after 8), once even on PC as well with mods to make it look nicer, and just couldn't stay interested, I just didn't care, nothing really pissed me off, I just couldn't care, about the settings, the cast, nothing about it resonated with me in any way.

So the first time I played VII was the first time I also played VIII as someone gave them both to me, I played about an hour or two of 7 because I thought they had to be in order, and when I found out they were stand alone, I swapped it out to try 8 and was hooked immediately and I played through that game, restarted about 3/4 of the way through and then played again until the end, and I was just like "I don't really understand what the deal is with People and this character" Him, Solid Snake/Big Boss and Gintoki have been the only characters to have truly stuck with me for so long.

Cain and Lynch does this better than any other game ever made.

I love my asshole characters.

Squall isn't indifferent and he doesn't lack concern for others so he's not apathetic.

I didnt want to look more and spoil myself but yeah, uh, there's more than one emotion in those quotes and none of them are apathy.

Admittedly I didn't like squall my first time playing the game, because I wanted to be more like Zell or Irving, but after reading the game script that was translated verbatim by another fan, my views on squall changed and it made sense in the grand narrative.

He didn't want to lead, but people kept looking to him and his indecision is him trying to figure out HOW to lead.

I wouldn't consider luke an asshole. More of a spoiled brat imo. But yeah, he was a bit better before he got super bland.
Even if I did hate him.

Beloved

Admittedly I didn't like squall my first time playing the game, because I wanted to be more like Zell or Irving, but after reading the game script that was translated verbatim by another fan, my views on squall changed and it made sense in the grand narrative.

He didn't want to lead, but people kept looking to him and his indecision is him trying to figure out HOW to lead.

Exactly.

Also Zell and Irvine are actually JUST as insecure as Squall is, they just hide it with false bravado.

Especially Irvine, which is demonstrated the most clearly when
he chokes completely when it's time to snipe Edea

360pages

Yeah, more like that. I like that better than them shoehorning a character arc into it. If the character entertaining or still managed to keep their edge after their development than more power to them.

This is how I feel Luke failed in Tales of the Abyss, Luke was a huge ass at the start, but a large sum of the reasons he has are very good ones. Short Haired Luke, it's like they drained that personality and made him a wet Blanket.

Doesn't help his group was giving him mixed signals.

Xiraiya

Admittedly I didn't like squall my first time playing the game, because I wanted to be more like Zell or Irving

As a kid, I hated Zell, I recognize his bro'ness now, but Irvine is and always has been a goddamn motherfucker, I hated him from the moment he appeared and never once let him into my main party unless forced to do so.

That moment at the parade where he loses his shit and becomes weak and terrified made me hate him more for his stupid fake arrogance bullshit before that.

360pages

The two aren't entirely mutually exclusive. He was a boring spoiled brat AND an asshole as a result.

Honestly, if they pushed the spoiled brat angle and the trapped manor idea more it could have been interesting. Instead of shoehorning a redemption story into it.

Yeah, fuck Jade. Everything was his fault and he still had the gull to blame Luke and be a pissy teenager when he tried to change...when he more than anyone else should have tried to accept him.
I actually really liked jade for that reason. A hated luke a lot, so every time he said something to make luke sad, I loved it.
Does that make me an asshole?

360pages

I hate that game and its entire cast so much. Only one I didn't hate was Guy and that's because he's super generic and forgiving.

Tear is okay...Anise is the worst thing ever. My problem is that I would rather have the God-Generals as main characters since they seemed a lot more interesting as characters as well as their problems.

Arietta>>>Anise just in concept alone.

Sync>>>Most of the main cast.

Jman014

These guys are athletic.
Both Stardust and Fandango got thrown over the ropes but held on with both hands and flipped themselves up and over the top rope. Also DDP
Wait what? The motherfucking Boogeyman is back? They must be really desperate

Yup.
He got eliminated in like 30 seconds by Bray Wyatt

360pages

The spoiled brat angle was terribly done already. They spend so many goddamn hours and so much dialog on an already quickly established character trait that I was already sick of it halfway before he became...what he eventually became.

Then why not push the Replica side? I mean, why did he have to kill all those people even if it wasn't completely his fault?

Top Bottom