• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 14: Sacrifice your life for more posts in the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rare's best game is Jet Force Gemini. You know it.

For real, their best game is DKC2. Everything since then has been average at best.

I wouldn't know because I never played 2.

now you know what it feels like when you say you don't like rhythm games.

CRT was great, I also had way more fun with Crash Bash than any of the Mario Parties.

Not really because I don't like any rhythm games and have enjoyed none of them. The only one I somewhat thought was cool is Elite Beat Agents, though I've never played it. That game actually had a really good OST though.

360pages

I can see what you mean, I think the main issue with burst limit is the tiny roster, and the fact that transforming characters are stupidly OP

It's a shame that most people skip over infinite world due to the changes made from the Budokai 3 Story format...but just the faster pace makes me feel like I have more control unlike Dragon Rush which is only hype a few times.

Xiraiya

I had a moment where I thought you had actually made a T.T emoticon, and my mind was about to explode till I did a double take.
KUp0SB.gif

No way in hell mother fucking Banjo Kazooie can be considered average.

I think he meant average in comparison to DKC2, but I think that game is pretty average. Grant Kirkhope did really great things with that soundtrack though.

I personally didn't care for any of Rare's collecta-thon platformers. I much preferred the mission based structure of something like Mario 64.

Nordicus

I like Infinite World slightly more than Budokai 3 and Burst limit, mostly due to the fact that it feels pretty fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqQbq3pLclc
Interesting, never seen high level play in Budokai before
the faster pace makes me feel like I have more control unlike Dragon Rush which is only hype a few times.
And then sooner or later it becomes the bane of your existence when the overpowered CPU enemy starts spamming it
I own RB2, it's just so slow. it does not feel like DBZ, well maybe if they were all in their later years maybe.
I'll never understand how Spike could go so much in wrong direction in terms of art style between Raging Blast 1 and 2. Raging Blast 1 had this slight Ultimate Ninja Storm-ish look to it, then suddenly started messing with the lighting, making it "better".

Then past RB2 they messed up everything else too

Emouse

As a kid me and my friends all owned megadrives and then PS1s so I never got to experience Rare games in their prime, I think I only ever played Diddy Kong racing a few times and I played Goldeneye like once

I have yet to play Banjo even tho people have been bothering me about it for years

Interesting, never seen high level play in Budokai before And then sooner or later it becomes the bane of your existence when the overpowered CPU enemy starts spamming it
I'll never understand how Spike could go so much in wrong direction in terms of art style between Raging Blast 1 and 2. Raging Blast 1 had this slight Ultimate Ninja Storm-ish look to it, then suddenly started messing with the lighting, making it "better".

We don't speak of that game that came after RB2.

Oberon

Banned
Neil Druckmann, Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson give commentary regarding the development, thought process and acting process during the cutscenes.

Probably the only TLOU related thing I haven't seen/read/heard.

Have you read the doujins too?

I don't know if this is a thing

Xiraiya

As a kid me and my friends all owned megadrives and then PS1s so I never got to experience Rare games in their prime, I think I only ever played Diddy Kong racing a few times and I played Goldeneye like once
I have yet to play Banjo even tho people have been bothering me about it for years

As someone who grew up with Nintendo and played/loved most Rare games.

Banjo Kazooie was never one I really gave a shit about, I played it for a week and eventually realized "I'm not into this."

Conker's Bad Fur Day however, easily their best N64 Platformer/Adventure game.

360pages

Interesting, never seen high level play in Budokai before And then sooner or later it becomes the bane of your existence when the overpowered CPU enemy starts spamming it

Yeah...though I can see them wondering what direction to go with art in the RB series. Since Budokai and BT series are very different than one another. Xenoverse also is the first game since Burst limit to have a development time of more than 1 year though.

360pages

Games these days.

Anyway, here is a decent Raging Blast 1 vs Raging Blast 2 art style comparison

I'm not the only one who prefers the look on the left, right?

Left looks better, but I could never get over how nothing the beams looked in the RB series. They looked really small and nothing compared to the ones in BT series that were pretty big and size depended on the one who was firing it.

I wish Bamco would abandon Cyber Connect 2. They make the weeaboo equivalent of cinematic games

Let a competent dev make good games out of Jojo and Naruto and DBZ

Again give Jojo to Arc Systems!

Nordicus

Left looks better, but I could never get over how nothing the beams looked in the RB series. They looked really small and nothing compared to the ones in BT series that were pretty big and size depended on the one who was firing it.
Totally agreed. Raging Blast beams look so powerless and the explosion effects aren't nearly flashy enough. When I land a fucking spirit bomb, if I can't have a massive crater in the ground, then give me a proper flashy explosion and a thick dust cloud

Emouse

I wish Bamco would abandon Cyber Connect 2. They make the weeaboo equivalent of cinematic games

Let a competent dev make good games out of Jojo and Naruto and DBZ

Again give Jojo to Arc Systems!

IIRC CC2 have not made any DBZ games, and the Naruto games are good for being Naruto games

Arcsys for JoJo however would be nice, but if you want a decent JoJo game just play Skullgirls

360pages

Totally agreed. Raging Blast beams look so powerless and the explosion effects aren't nearly flashy enough. When I land a fucking spirit bomb, if I can't have a massive crater in the ground, then give me a proper flashy explosion and a thick dust cloud

Yeah, Xenoverse beams look a hell of a lot better.

As for competitive games. Infinite world was probably the most competent, but there a huge amount of time to invest to even be passable at the game. The game was actually too hard for a lot of reviewers to complete.

So maybe simpler games aren't always bad, as long as there is enough depth to tell someone who had just started playing the games against someone who has played a decent amount or are masters of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom