• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 14: Sacrifice your life for more posts in the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike0dude

stupid canada post, I'm glad you going out of business in a year.
my package has been out for delivery since this morning and now its passed the hours they deliver mail so it's probably not gonna get here till tomorrow :(

Emouse

You can do the training thing at the fitegames!
Don't worry, you're not alone in the not being able to use words good.

Yeah yeah I tend to go into pratice mode and try things out, I'm never any good at in game challanges and stuff tho, but hey I try, I think I picked up Xrd quicker than most games which really does make it feel like I've improved, and I used to be horrible with a pad but I seem to be mostly okay with it for KI so hey there's progress there too?

Also words are hard man

"I do"
"I do"
RULES OF NATURE!!

raiden-o.gif

Okingjrr

Yeah yeah I tend to go into pratice mode and try things out, I'm never any good at in game challanges and stuff tho, but hey I try, I think I picked up Xrd quicker than most games which really does make it feel like I've improved, and I used to be horrible with a pad but I seem to be mostly okay with it for KI so hey there's progress there too?

Also words are hard man
I'm terrible as well in KI. I got to the "manuals" tutorial thing and couldn't do it. Playting with a pad is tough but it's part of the challenge.

Kazoo, best instrument.

Okingjrr showed me this guy. The shovel knight thing he just did was sick.
I remember showing that guy to Mrgoodwil. He probably told you about him. Good to see you have good taste as well, new guy.
I don't know how long we're gonna keep up with that joke.

That Shovel Knight one is awesome!

I just remembered that a cousin that i'm close to is a wedding photographer and has said that if/when I get married, he would do it for free.That should save some money.

MrHoot

I hope if they invite Liam at the wedding that they don't let him be the ringbearer because he would fuck up LIKE HE FUCKS UP THOSE ACTION COMMANDS GODDAMN

I die a little inside everytime he uses Geno.

It's too hard

I hope if they invite Liam at the wedding that they don't let him be the ringbearer because he would fuck up LIKE HE FUCKS UP THOSE ACTION COMMANDS GODDAMN

I die a little inside everytime he uses Geno.

It's too hard

There's a reason they call him Gunjumper Liam.

Ants

And why is it so bad?

If you're unfamiliar with DS' soul mechanics, they function as both EXP and currency, but it is possible to lose them before you are able to cash them in. Soul Memory's intent is to prevent new players from getting attacked by highly skilled players who just did not cash their Souls in to level up, intentionally. This can create a skill disparity that, while being played on a "fair" playing field of equal stats, would be likely very unfun for new players, disincentivizing them from accessing PvP elements.

I'm not sure exactly where you read that it was bad, so I couldn't say in what regards other people have referred to it, but a weakness of the system is that it does not accurately reflect a stat disparity between players, which can be significant. For example, some builds in DS rely on the ability to hit a blocking enemy multiple times, eventually guard breaking them. A much higher level player would be able to withstand many more hits than a lower one, which could create an unfair playing field. With SM as the matchmaking determiner, a player who has died without retrieving his Souls can be pitted against a player who hasn't, and this kind of stat disparity would manifest as a result. With Level as the matchmaking determiner, this didn't really happen to a significant degree.

Another problem with it is somewhat more closely related to Dark Souls 2's systematic changes as a whole, but at high levels, the PVP meta becomes somewhat homogenized. All players tend to have maxed out stats, and if you don't, you're at a disadvantage, so opting out is not a possibility. With identical stats, specific builds become clearly optimal. If you have any familiarity with fighting games, you can probably understand why this would be problematic, but if not, basically Dark Souls had a wide variety of viable builds in PvP. DS2 has dramatically fewer. This makes combat less interesting, and, overall, unhealthier. It is not likely to last as long as it otherwise could have with a more diverse set of viable builds.

The last major gripe I see is that SM also determines which people you can partner with in co-op. While before you partnered with people close to you in level, you now partner with people close to you in SM. This means if you've died a lot during the campaign, you can have a hugely difficult time finding people of similar power to do content with you. Likewise if you haven't died less than the norm. Level was a better system for determining this because it operates on the lower end more often than the higher end.

SM did succeed in stopping twinking more or less, but it brought with it other problems. I wouldn't say it's a horrible system outright but it totally has issues.

Disclaimer: I barely played any DS2 at all, although I played a ton of DS1. So I couldn't really say whether the above are real problems, but they are commonly stated ones that I deem to be likely based on how the systems work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom