• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 14: Sacrifice your life for more posts in the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That kind of confidence is always delicious to see.
It is. I don't care about losing. I just switched from trying to do cool shit to just going with the flow and trying to conquer. My friend beat me once after 10 losses and said he was done. That's all he could do and we played way back since DOA 2 on the Dreamcast so it's not like he's new to the series.

croten

Is DOA one of those button bashers?

Sure is.
ibcSFtl4OaTr8N.gif

Xiraiya

By the way, Pat has been secretly watching Bleach lately.
He keeps bringing up Flashsteps in a bunch of different videos, it's very interesting.

I expected worse when I picked up Core Fighters for free. The game mechanically being super fun is what actually has me really liking it.

DoA has always been my 3d fighter of choice, so when I first heard that it was considered "creepy" and not good, I always wondered why.

It's not the best 3d fighter, but it, IMO, is the most fun to play.

It's the one with all the breasts, pretty much it's only defining quality, even then calling that a "quality" is reaaally stretching it.
It's Virtua Fighter with a universal counter system, which to me is its defining quality and its VF roots makes it a more fun game to play than something like Tekken or Soul Calibur.

DoA has always been my 3d fighter of choice, so when I first heard that it was considered "creepy" and not good, I always wondered why.

It's not the best 3d fighter, but it, IMO, is the most fun to play.
The barrier to entry versus the other 3D fighters I've tried seems microscopic by comparison, while it still has depth.

I had a lot of fun playing DOA last night. I'm a huge SC mark but after 4 I stopped playing 3D fighters, it was good to get back into one. It is fairly simple but the mechanics are good and the action is fast.

Xiraiya

Because way too large a portion of that series is the dumbest kind of blatant fan service that appeals the most to not so great people. It's unfortunate to learn that it is apparently pretty good at a mechanical level, but that just makes the whole thing worse, why the fuck would you make a competent fighter and fill it full of 16 year old girls in bikinis who are "totally 18".

People can say "But there are tons of guys and stuff too" and that's true now, but even a glance at that series over the years make's it astoundingly clear where the true focus lies, and I think that really sucks for those of you out there who do enjoy it because of the mechanics more than the ascetics.

Nude mods and model ripping and Gmod has also helped to give DOA a pretty seedy reputation.

Because way too large a portion of that series is the dumbest kind of blatant fan service that appeals the most to not so great people. It's unfortunate to learn that it is apparently pretty good at a mechanical level, but that just makes the whole thing worse, why the fuck would you make a competent fighter and fill it full of 16 year old girls in bikinis who are "totally 18".

People can say "But there are tons of guys and stuff too" and that's true now, but even a glance at that series over the years make's it astoundingly clear where the true focus lies, and I think that really sucks for those of you out there who do enjoy it because of the mechanics more than the ascetics.

For me, I think people talked up the amount of fanservice a lot, so when I actually started playing the game it was more tame than I was expecting it to be. There are lots of revealing costumes, but there are also lots of cool ones that focus less on the fanservice and more on just being a cool design.

A lot of the default costumes look awesome and the ones included in the game without paying DLC are good too.

croten

Nude mods and model ripping and Gmod has also helped to give DOA a pretty seedy reputation.
If that puts you off then I feel sorry for you.

It is very unfortunate that is how they chose to present their game but I wouldn't let something like that stop me from enjoying it. It is the same situation as KLK, some will be able to get past the fanservice and some will not.

Emouse

For me, I think people talked up the amount of fanservice a lot, so when I actually started playing the game it was more tame than I was expecting it to be. There are lots of revealing costumes, but there are also lots of cool ones that focus less on the fanservice and more on just being a cool design.

A lot of the default costumes look awesome and the ones included in the game without paying DLC are good too.

Hitomi has a costume that's basically Batsu from rival schools and it's awesome

Yeah, its understandable especially since theres a jiggle toggle on the options screen.

Even compared to their own stuff in the past like Extreme Beach Volleyball, I feel like people really oversell the "creep factor"

All the tits and the "totally 18 year old girls we swear they're 18, really."
1. That only really applies to Marie Rose in this game, and 2. Lot of the cast was much younger in DOA 1-4, but outside Japan those specific characters' age was simply "Age not given." So if that really creeps you the fuck out, be glad this game averts that by making everyone 18 at the minimum.

It's kind of unfortunate looking at it. Itagaki meant for DOA Xtreme to be just a side thing where people could have their creepy fantasies with the female cast, but either through misunderstanding on Team Ninja's part or playing into people's expectations that sort of fanservice is more prominent in DOA5 than any of the previous main games.

croten

Even compared to their own stuff in the past like Extreme Beach Volleyball, I feel like people really oversell the "creep factor"

That's the creepy game that I understand why people avoid, but the mainline fighting games are just fighters that have some skimpy outfits. People should stop judging games based on the culture around it and actually try it out themselves, they might actually like it

Hitomi has a costume that's basically Batsu from rival schools and it's awesome

I can't justify how many paid DLC costumes there are. Even if some are really cool.

It feels more like a quality fighting game than only a fanservice game, though it definitely blurs the line with some of those costumes.

Xiraiya

Even some of the cooler looking outfits are geared to be like "Look at this sexy ninja girl!" which is much better than "look at these almost naked young girls" but still has that same sort of appeal.

Emouse

I can't justify how many paid DLC costumes there are. Even if some are really cool.

It feels more like a quality fighting game than only a fanservice game, though it definitely blurs the line with some of those costumes.

Oh the one I'm referring to is unlockable in game, but I do agree that there's far faaar too many DLC costumes it's slightly ridiculous, with LR tho there seems to be a fair few that are on disc but just locked from the beginning which is nice

Oh the one I'm referring to is unlockable in game, but I do agree that there's far faaar too many DLC costumes it's slightly ridiculous, with LR tho there seems to be a fair few that are on disc but just locked from the beginning which is nice
I unlocked a bunch of costumes while we played last night. It was pretty rad.

Emouse

I unlocked a bunch of costumes while we played last night. It was pretty rad.

Ooh I haven't played much online so I've just been unlocking stuff via the arcade modes and stuff, still fun tho

Looking at that new Mario Party 10 trailer.

Since they are still going with the car gimmick to speed up the pace...this should have had online.

MP online would be cool but I can't help but think the games would go on far too long

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

DOA5U and LR are free to play. The costumes are how they make up that money. I don't mind since they were developed after U was released, so I think it's fair to reserve some of them as DLC, especially since they let you carry them over from U to LR.

Even some of the cooler looking outfits are geared to be like "Look at this sexy ninja girl!" which is much better than "look at these almost naked young girls" but still has that same sort of appeal.

I agree. Even costumes like this

look cool, but are still pretty revealing. I guess its more up to the player's perception of if they're willing to ignore the fanservice and play the game or if they just bought it for tits. The game caters to both, but I personally don't think there's anything wrong with that because there's something there for both audiences.

And I also appreciate that the game has the decency to spin the fanservice both ways by giving their male characters borderline speedos as costumes. That's something you rarely see in fighting games, or just video games in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom