• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 14: Sacrifice your life for more posts in the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiraiya

I will say that's something I do like about DOA, it always has an insane amount of DLC costumes crap which I think more fighting games could do with, especially when you can't create a character or something.

Emouse

DOA5U and LR are free to play. The costumes are how they make up that money. I don't mind since they were developed after U was released, so I think it's fair to reserve some of them as DLC, especially since they let you carry them over from U to LR.

Ah right right, last round is actually the first one I've played so I didn't know that at all

Despite all the ton of costumes for DOA5, I still would've preferred some more detailed customization by mixing and matching different items on your character. The hairstyles you can select for some fighters in Last Round is a nice touch but not enough.

It needs to reach VF5 FS levels of ridiculousness for me to be satisfied.

Xiraiya

And I also appreciate that the game has the decency to spin the fanservice both ways by giving their male characters borderline speedos as costumes. That's something you rarely see in fighting games, or just video games in general.

Kojima fan service is my favorite kind of Video Game fan service.

croten

And I also appreciate that the game has the decency to spin the fanservice both ways by giving their male characters borderline speedos as costumes. That's something you rarely see in fighting games, or just video games in general.

To be fair that fan service is still aimed at the male audience. It's a blatant power fantasy for guys.

Emouse

Which would justify the Car mechanic.

Keep the games pace up.

Also if someone disconnects, they are replaced by a CPU

Christ I need to develop the next Mario Party

I see I see, I've not played one since MP5 and seen barely anything of 10 so yeah

Despite all the ton of costumes for DOA5, I still would've preferred some more detailed customization by mixing and matching different items on your character. The hairstyles you can select for some fighters in Last Round is a nice touch but not enough.

It needs to reach VF5 FS levels of ridiculousness for me to be satisfied.

What's this hairstyle selection? everyone has a pontytail and glasses on my game!

Xiraiya

Muscular perfectly toned male, it's the ideal that many men wish to achieve. Who doesn't want to be a bad ass ninja with a perfect body?
Fm10D2.jpg

You are such a weird, weird individual.

Muscular perfectly toned male, it's the ideal that many men wish to achieve. Who doesn't want to be a bad ass ninja with a perfect body?
Without resorting to mocking you, I think those costumes specifically aren't aimed at a male audience, but the character designs themselves are still meant to be badasses, while the girls are meant to be attractive.

wait is it confirmed that the corpse is Solidus and not Big Boss or is that a coping mechanism that fans are using?

If you can't figure it out I'm watching MGS4, trying to sort out what the hell is going on.

Beloved

My thoughts on fan service is pretty simple, the way a character dresses should be approached in the sense of "This is his/her personality, this is their style, this is how they would LIKE to dress" or "This is fitting for the tone/setting, so this is how the characters dress".

What I dislike is "This girl is obviously shy and somewhat insecure." *designs her to wear ridiculously revealing clothes for no reason except male gratification*

It needs to make sense in the context of the character and the setting. A female or male character that is confident in their body and wants to show it off is 100% perfectly fine, or if circumstances they are in put them in situations where it makes sense.

I know there was a lot of backlash about how Quiet from MGS V dresses, but after seeing her abilities it actually makes sense. It's still a bit overdone imo, but not worth complaining about.

demidar

Without resorting to mocking you, I think those costumes specifically aren't aimed at a male audience, but the character designs themselves are still meant to be badasses, while the girls are meant to be attractive.

Yeah. An actual female fighter would have some muscle definition like Gina Carano, or even have a muscled frame like Meryl in MGS4.

croten

Maybe, I haven't seen the male costumes but most of the time it's still a power fantasy
wait is it confirmed that the corpse is Solidus and not Big Boss or is that a coping mechanism that fans are using?

If you can't figure it out I'm watching MGS4, trying to sort out what the hell is going on.

Have you finished the game?

Xiraiya

Yeah, they woke up Big Boss by using pieces of Solidus since he was basically an exact physical copy, he explains at the end the corpse we saw burn up was Solidus.

Xiraiya

My thoughts on fan service is pretty simple, the way a character dresses should be approached in the sense of "This is his/her personality, this is their style, this is how they would LIKE to dress" or "This is fitting for the tone/setting, so this is how the characters dress".

What I dislike is "This girl is obviously shy and somewhat insecure." *designs her to wear ridiculously revealing clothes for no reason except male gratification*

It needs to make sense in the context of the character and the setting. A female or male character that is confident in their body and wants to show it off is 100% perfectly fine, or if circumstances they are in put them in situations where it makes sense.

I know there was a lot of backlash about how Quiet from MGS V dresses, but after seeing her abilities it actually makes sense. It's still a bit overdone imo, but not worth complaining about.

I agree, Personally I think Quiet is fine, not really any more overdone than Sniper Wolf wearing her jacket open at all times showing like half of each breast or the early concept of the boss straight up revealing one boob because of the whole mother symbolism.
Kojima's fan service usually falls in line with a character's personality if they're female, and if they're male he does it because it's dumb and generally hilarious, which makes the Metal Gear experience that much more entertaining to me.

Emouse

Still about DOA but unrelated to the fan service issue, I really like the tag matches I'm usually not a fan but it feels better than say tekken tag 2, IMO anyway, I prefer to have to beat both characters not just one

Also I like the random switcher so you can turn on/off stages and characters when you hit random, I do wish there was one for costumes tho, I'm getting sick of fighting CPUs dressed as fucking Santa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom