• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 15: Two Guys Play

I'm curious as to why they animated it like that. As far as I know that's the only fight in the series with that kind of animation.

Its a form of smear animation.

Basically to animate the high action fight between Naruto (nine-tails) and Pain would have taken a long time, so they went with a style like this since its "easier" to animate a fight like that, that just goes all over the map.

For anyone who's seen it, Birdy The Mighty: Decode (especially S2), use this form of animation as well. The difference is that it looks fine in that instance (and in some moments actually really helps to drive home the emotion of the scene) and isn't used for entire episodes, compared to here where its just super ugly and used for extended amounts of length.

Things are pretty good over here in the mild west. Weather forecast is calling for 16 Celsius and sunny.
If you listened to the GB podcast this week with the 8-4 guys, Nintendo is doing fine in Japan as well as here. Probably better over there. Nintendo will be with us for a while.
That was a really cool interview. I have just started listen to the bombcast so I hadn't heard of 8-4 before.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Is anyone aware of this thing?
"Bartkira," an ambitious and long-running fan project to recreate Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira manga using characters and settings from Matt Groening's The Simpsons, is heading to Tokyo for a two-week exhibit later this month.
bart.jpg

bart2.gif

Xiraiya

His name is pain? Ugh. I could see that style of animation looking good somewhere else though. It just doesn't flow with what little I've seen of naruto.

Well
He's not really a person, he's an animated corpse who was suppose to be an ideological entity, his body is the dead friend of the person controlling him, who is this crippled guy called Nagato, the blue haired paper girl (Konan), Pain (Yahiko) and Nagato were a trio of kids who were like the original Team 7 of sorts and all basically had their lives completely fucked up by the different villages warring eachother, where they lived was basically what the villages used as a battlefield in their Ninja wars and so they all lost their families and had nothing but shit things happen to them, and as they got older they wanted to change the world but lost their way and all that because more garbage kept screwing them over, so that's basically how Akatsuki came to be.

To his credit, he nuked Konoha into a giant crater.

Things are pretty good over here in the mild west. Weather forecast is calling for 16 Celsius and sunny.

That was a really cool interview. I have just started listen to the bombcast so I hadn't heard of 8-4 before.

Listen to Danswers!

Its Dan Ryckert giving Life Advice. The result are hilarious!

Well
He's not really a person, he's an animated corpse who was suppose to be an ideological entity, his body is the dead friend of the person controlling him, who is this crippled guy called Nagato, the blue haired paper girl (Konan), Pain (Yahiko) and Nagato were a trio of kids who were like the original Team 7 of sorts and all basically had their lives completely fucked up by the different villages warring eachother, where they lived was basically what the villages used as a battlefield in their Ninja wars and so they all lost their families and had nothing but shit things happen to them, and as they got older they wanted to change the world but lost their way and all that because more garbage kept screwing them over, so that's basically how Akatsuki came to be.

Nagato/Pain was probably the Apex of Naruto character writing imo, that little arc of learning about why he became the way he did was really good.

The Naruto vs Sasuke fight was actually really amazing, probably one of the better rival fights in shonens.

I wish Shonens had more rival fights. Shonens focus more on building up a villain than they do a good rival which is sometimes sad. I think Ippo is probably the only show that really successfully accomplishes both, assuming you don't think Miyata is the rival.

Listen to Danswers!

Its Dan Ryckert giving Life Advice. The result are hilarious!

Take a shot every time Dan mentions Okcupid.

Well

That sounds kinda cool actually. Probly won't get me back into naruto though.

Xiraiya

Nagato/Pain was probably the Apex of Naruto character writing imo, that little arc of learning about why he became the way he did was really good.

The rain trio story was actually really good up until the Tobi/Madara stuff, I kind of wish we had a spinoff about them as kids and more about their day to day lives and then more on their life as a freedom fighting group, before they became the real Akatsuki.

The rain trio story was actually really good up until the Tobi/Madara stuff, I kind of wish we had a spinoff about them as kids and more about their day to day lives and then more on their life as a freedom fighting group, before they became the real Akatsuki.

I would watch that, kinda like a slice of life type thing, but more about just surviving in the wild and learning with Jiraiya and everything.

I remember those being the best episodes as well. That and the Obito/Kakashi/Rin episodes were honestly more interesting than the current/shippuden timeline. I'd honestly take a new series that reflects on the past characters more than the future just because of how much more interesting the scenarios were then.

Xiraiya

That sounds kinda cool actually. Probly won't get me back into naruto though.

Naruto is bullshit in a lot of ways, but most individual character stories and flashbacks about the world lore are really damn good, it's just the overarching plot and the main characters that are a problem.
It's part of why I think the author wrote himself into a corner he couldn't get out of, because when he wasn't tied down to the story, everything else was way better usually, but more and more bullshit kept happening in the main plot.
It's like thing you see in some games like Oblivion for example, where the Dark Brotherhood side quest stuff was amazing but the main quest was barely average at best.

I remember those being the best episodes as well. That and the Obito/Kakashi/Rin episodes were honestly more interesting than the current/shippuden timeline. I'd honestly take a new series that reflects on the past characters more than the future just because of how much more interesting the scenarios were then.
Kakashi Gaiden was rad, and the Kushina/Minato flashback is probably my favorite thing in the entire manga and was one of the rare times Kishi knew how to do a cool romance.

The Hashirama/Madara flashback story about the village founding was pretty hype too.

Naruto is bullshit in a lot of ways, but most individual character stories and flashbacks about the world lore are really damn good, it's just the overarching plot and the main characters that are a problem.

It's part of why I think the author wrote himself into a corner he couldn't get out of, because when he wasn't tied down to the story, everything else was way better usually, but more and more bullshit kept happening in the main plot.

It's like thing you see in some games like Oblivion for example, where the Dark Brotherhood side quest stuff was amazing but the main quest was barely average at best.
Didn't he only write up to a certain poi t in the beginning? Like right before or after some kind of exams iirc.

360pages

A story focusing on Naruto's and Sasuke's kids would be interesting. The idea of a Female Uchiha is interesting...even if she is showing signs of being crazy already.

Also, Goku and Vegeta's fights are always good, even if Goku was holding back during the second one.

Xiraiya

Also, Goku and Vegeta's fights are always good, even if Goku was holding back during the second one.

Majin Vegeta stuff was one of the best parts of DBZ, that character development and that fight where all of his resentment over the years finally comes bubbling to the surface as he calls Goku out on his shit.

Only to find out later Goku had already discovered Super Saiyan 3 at that point but didn't use it.

360pages

Majin Vegeta stuff was one of the best parts of DBZ, that character development and that fight where all of his resentment over the years finally comes bubbling to the surface as he calls Goku out on his shit.

Only to find out later Goku had already Super Saiyan 3 at that point but didn't use it.

I always thought of Vegeta being a huge baby about the whole thing. Goku never once tried to hinder Vegeta in his training or anything else. He was weaker simply because Goku actually knew how to train better, the Cell Saga showed us that.

The fact that Vegeta is the second strongest currently even with only SSJ2 shows the entire thing was in his head.

OT16: Bomba Gigante

Speaking of DBZ, I watched battle of gods yesterday. That was fucking stupid.

Wasn't it?

I hope your ready for Frieza to come back and be all powerful after a whole four months of training, even though Goten could of beaten him easily.

God damn it I wanna play KI and Xrd so bad..

Wasn't it?

I hope your ready for Frieza to come back and be all powerful after a whole four months of training, even though Goten could of beaten him easily.

God damn it I wanna play KI and Xrd so bad..

See I want to be excited about Frieza but it's literally him turning gold and didn't he just get literally vaporized with no effort in his final form in one of the movies?

I mean fuck Trunks did it without leveling up. So who fucking cares.

360pages

I think BoG is a good starting movie for the series of movies. Sets new characters up, new powers and new teachers.

Frieza movie I'm on the fence on, but it seems to be executed better in terms of action and screen time.

See I want to be excited about Frieza but it's literally him turning gold and didn't he just get literally vaporized with no effort in his final form in one of the movies?

I mean fuck Trunks did it without leveling up. So who fucking cares.

I don't think it was him, I think it was a shadow or some shit? Idk..but yeah he got bodied super hard.

I'm not excited about it, I haven't really enjoyed a DBZ movie since Revenge of Cooler.
I don't know, I actually thought the God character was really amusing.
Beerus was really cool, but the movie as a whole was just boring.

Does it just get deflected?

No, Beerus just takes it and shrugs it off more or less.

Like you even know it didn't do anything. He doesn't react with worry or anything that makes you think "Oh man maybe he actually took damage" like with some of the other big bads do before they shrug it off.

Damn, my once a week speech class got cancelled twice, now. Not sure how that's gonna work.
I wish Shonens had more rival fights. Shonens focus more on building up a villain than they do a good rival which is sometimes sad. I think Ippo is probably the only show that really successfully accomplishes both, assuming you don't think Miyata is the rival.
VIRAL IS SO FUCKING GOOD

Top Bottom