• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 15: Two Guys Play

Neol

I'm getting a new PC in the next couple of months and on that I'll do the upgrade to Windows 10 offer they have going, but for now I just need to get off XP since so many games refuse to load on it, XP has been insanely reliable for me.
I didn't care at first when it was only like Sleeping dogs, but now pretty much everything no longer supports or loads on XP even if it uses the exact same engine/hardware as older games that do.

Sad to see XP dying out but upgrading to one of the newer OS's is easy enough. Can even get keys at a good price at the buy/sell thread here as well.

7 is still the best and besides, everyone with 7 and beyond will be able to upgrade to 10 for free.

Oh yea totally forgot 7 gets the free upgrade too. Windows 8.1 is actually better in utilization and such but I won't deny that Metro is goddamn awful to have.

Ending C requires you to beat the game normally.

Ending A requires you to not get hit and after you open so many chests you start getting valhalla spirits or some shit. After you beat the first level you move on to an alternate path with a limited set of lives. If you can clear all the alternate paths with a limited set of lives then you get Ending A. You can get more lives through not getting hit and opening chests, but you don't have many lives still. Maybe 4-5 for your first alternate path then you can rack up more from there on.

Ending B requires you to clear at least one alternate path and then complete the game regularly.

Damn. Does that mean that Ending A is a no hit run or can you still take some hits?

Oh yea totally forgot 7 gets the free upgrade too. Windows 8.1 is actually better in utilization and such but I won't deny that Metro is goddamn awful to have.

Boy is it. That's why I did a thing to never see that fucking Jolly Rancher mosh pit and have a start menu so it's basically like 7

Xiraiya

Sad to see XP dying out but upgrading to one of the newer OS's is easy enough. Can even get keys at a good price at the buy/sell thread here as well.

I've been using XP with the gorgeous Royale theme from Media Center edition for like 8 years now, rarely ever had any issues.

Yeah, my mother awhile back got a laptop with Windows 8 on it, can't say I'm a huge fan of how it looks like a mobile OS fused into a version of Windows, I mean upgrading to 8 would probably be smarter long term but for now 7 will be fine, and since it gets the offer as well it'll be irrelevant anyway.

Yo, I just got home, and the first thing I did was open up my Hotline Miami 2 CE. Yo, I didn't know Quixotic was on this! Based M|O|O|N knows no bounds.

Overall, the setlist is far better than you probably can imagine. Devolver the Gods.

Xiraiya

I love how I go to watch the RER2 GB Quicklook and one of the first things I hear is

"I don't really know what the point of co-op in this game even is, this girl doesn't do anything and the little girl does even less it seems."
9WjmOL.gif

Ilvocare

Yeah sorry man. If ya want I could go for a couple of rounds. I need to get rid of my gambling salt.

Sorry for the late response I was taking care of family things.

Unfortunately the brothers want me to play Smash with me, and they've hidden the PS3 again, so I'm stuck with them for another hour or so...

360pages

I love how I go to watch the RER2 GB Quicklook and one of the first things I hear is

"I don't really know what the point of co-op in this game even is, this girl doesn't do anything and the little girl does even less it seems."
9WjmOL.gif

That is a super weird line, I wouldn't mind a one person version of the stages. But for a Co-op game it's actually pretty smart

Ilvocare

9WjmOL.gif

Oh jeez you're reminding me of Jim Sterling's review of RE:R2.

Neol

Boy is it. That's why I did a thing to never see that fucking Jolly Rancher mosh pit and have a start menu so it's basically like 7

Its literally the reason why most of my friends refuse to upgrade. Just the fact that it essentially forces you to use it is absurd as well.

I too downloaded a start menu. Classic Shell + starting up on desktop ensures I never have to look at it again.

I've been using XP with the gorgeous Royale theme from Media Center edition for like 8 years now, rarely ever had any issues.

Yeah, my mother awhile back got a laptop with Windows 8 on it, can't say I'm a huge fan of how it looks like a mobile OS fused into a version of Windows, I mean upgrading to 8 would probably be smarter long term but for now 7 will be fine, and since it gets the offer as well it'll be irrelevant anyway.

It would be fine if the metro styled layout was only for mobile/tablets since I actually do feel its works pretty well on those platforms. On PC tho? Fucking horrendous.

Xiraiya

That is a super weird line, I wouldn't mind a one person version of the stages. But for a Co-op game it's actually pretty smart

It's Brad and Dan, so I guess it's like, well neither of them can find their way through a game or pay attention to it well enough to save their lives, so I shouldn't be surprised at this point.

Ooooh, that is fucking sick!
I already have materials for a stove ready for when the time comes (with beds next to it). I think I have a pretty decent strategy for now, but it's pretty rough regardless. No one is hungry, sick or tired yet and I already made a gun, though I need to find a way to increase backpack size.
Unless you have boris in your squad then there is no way for you to increase backpack.

God, Sendo is so fucking rad.
I also felt chills and no sense of satisfaction at the end of the match. That's the point though. It's fucking great and chilling as hell.

That was intended? Interesting, because I totally felt that. Even at the end of the episode when Ippo was cheering I was still a bit dumbstruck, I completely expected(/hoped) that Sendo would win.

And honestly I thought it was a bit bullshit how many punches Ippo could handle without getting knocked down, there was no precedent to him being so resistant to punches, going down in almost every fight except versus the guy that literally didn't know how to.

Also is it bad that I find myself rooting for Ippo's opponents more than I find myself rooting for him?

Okingjrr

Woof.
Like Pat, I think the coop in Revelations 2 has a place. It offers much more intricate puzzle designs and more diverse character backstories as opposed to having two characters that play exactly the same who have roughly similar backgrounds.

Xiraiya

Woof.
Like Pat, I think the coop in Revelations 2 has a place. It offers much more intricate puzzle designs and more diverse character backstories as opposed to having two characters that play exactly the same who have roughly similar backgrounds.

Well I think it's kind of obvious even at a glance why the Co-op is there and why it's a useful and cool feature.

croten

That was intended? Interesting, because I totally felt that. Even at the end of the episode when Ippo was cheering I was still a bit dumbstruck, I completely expected(/hoped) that Sendo would win.

And honestly I thought it was a bit bullshit how many punches Ippo could handle without getting knocked down, there was no precedent to him being so resistant to punches, going down in almost every fight except versus the guy that literally didn't know how to.

Also is it bad that I find myself rooting for Ippo's opponents more than I find myself rooting for him?

I don't think it's bad but I always root for Ippo

Skrams

I thought it was intended at least. I remember Ippo being rattled at the time and later on I think he was pretty shaken by the events. Also he's resistant because fighting spirit. He needs to keep moving forward and find the answer to what it means to be strong.

Also maybe. They do a really good job in that series of either making you hate the opponent or seeing their side of their story and why they need to win this match. It's not surprising to root for the one that's not Ippo, but I always go for Ippo because he's Ippo.

Xiraiya

Like Kickstarter, lack of consumer protection, insuring my money back if we get duped.

But a playable version of the game is out for relatively cheap, I don't really see how they can rip you off at this point short of removing the game from your steam account once you buy it, there's plenty to do in it.

Oberon

Banned
Finally back home, choir camp was pretty fun. Singing "O Fortuna" makes throat hurt
( but I still like it)
I also watched that Max biofreak video. I should have watched the stream live.
Biofreaks keeping fighting games alife in 2015.

I flipped over to regularGaf for a minute and saw the thread about HBO being blocked on Comcast PS4s, and the first few posts saying the FCC should be able to stop that.

Which informed me that most of Gaf is fucking stupid and didn't actually bother to find out what the FCC definitions change actually means.

mrmyhthef

Fighting spirit.

And don't feel so bad, that just means they're doing their job at fleshing out his opponents. Regardless I just root for Ippo since he's the main character.

Anung

Un Rama

9WjmOL.gif

I used to love GB and hold their opinions in high esteem but now I can load up pretty much any recent video and be met with some of the most retarded opinions ever. Mainly from Brad.

I used to love GB and hold their opinions in high esteem but now I can load up pretty much any recent video and be met with some of the most retarded opinions ever. Mainly from Brad.

It's Brad and Dan. Dan at least manages to be entertaining even if he is stupid more often than not, Brad is just stubborn. Jeff still has amazing insight from his days in the industry, Drew just seems brilliant for some reason, and Roarie is ok; he's never really done anything offensive that I can recall.

I've personally wished they'd cycle Brad out, but he seems to be one of the constants that won't be going away. Hopefully whatever new blood they hire can take over a bit more.

Xiraiya

They've always been a bit rough for my liking but tolerable, listening to all of their podcasts from 08 to 2012 was my first real exposure to them, I like Vinnie as a person but that guy at times is just I don't know if he's slow or has no attention span or what the deal is.

It's hard to explain, but imagine if there were 4 Matts, and their job was to talk about anime and anime related things together, and that was the entirety of their career, that's what Listening to Giantbomb is like.
And it's always kind of been that way, but 2011 onwards really seemed to take a turn for the worst.

Brad being the barely living individual he is, always has this attitude where he thinks he is too old and too adult for games, so he automatically assumes everything is for kids or very niche audiences that no one will ever give a shit about.

They all look at games way too one dimensionally for people who have been doing this so long.

Xiraiya

WHAT?! Why?!Darkest Dungeon does seem to function well for an Early Access game. It's not "pre-alpha" and I'm sure I'd enjoy it. But I prefer to experience the complete version with a fresh mind, rather than spend time in the incomplete, potentially broken, unbalanced or buggy version of it.
Other than that, I generally avoid Early Access on principle due to the severe lack of consumer protection (as Banana said), but the reason why I'm eager to break my rule is because this isn't the case.Same here.

I think you two are outrageously paranoid, you either see a game you want to play in it's current state and buy it, or don't.

It's that simple.

I can understand in DD's case since it's going to be updated soon, but I mean in general.

360pages

Wow, my Skype chat is ugh. We might be off-topic at times, but at least we can carry on a coherent conversation about something either about the best friends or their likes.

mike0dude

Yeah So I fucked up super hard you guys...
I asked Pat if they had ajusted for daylight saving and Pat put the video an hour early on youtube :(
Sorry Pat. I won't speak to you about time ever again.

I asked Pat if they had ajusted for daylight saving and Pat put the video an hour early on youtube :(
image.php

Wait isn't it a good thing you reminded him? He didn't actually spring the clock forward tho...

Something like youtube I would just assume it gets done automatically, that shouldn't have been an issue in the first place. The only concern would have been their website but considering that is part of their website network thing that probably gets done automatically as well.

Top Bottom