• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 15: Two Guys Play

I got spoiled on the way the movie Identity ends, which really sucks because that ending would have made the movie very interesting, to me.

I also got spoiled on (JJBA Part 3, seriously do not click because it is dire)
Kakyoin's death, and the nature of DIO's Stand, but not the way Jotaro beats it, thankfully
I got spoiled on a lot of the things from Part 3 but it is well over 20 years old at this point so I can't be salty about it. It is still really fun to watch, even if I don't like Jotaro at the moment.

YES! I'm really glad they managed to do it again when it comes to the soundtrack.
Will play soon.
The OST is even better than the first. They got the best M|O|O|N and Carpenter Brut songs.
I'm on the 7th scene. I'm having fun, been playing for about 2 hours now.
Yeah, it's still fun, but I'm awful at it. I typically don't get frustrated at games, but with this one, I'll run my head against the walls for a bit, then go play something I'm good at, then return to Miami.

semisonic

Banned
Worst things you've ever gotten spoiled on?
-Actually be careful about spoiling stuff here folks-
Me, it was the Usual Suspects and Red Dead Redemption.
I worry sometimes the reason I didn't really like either was the spoiling.

I got spoiled on most of p3, including
P3 SPOILERS HERE WATCH THE FUCK OUT
MC's death, Chihiro's death, who killed Ken's parents, among other things.

I got spoiled on the way the movie Identity ends, which really sucks because that ending would have made the movie very interesting, to me.

I also got spoiled on (JJBA Part 3, seriously do not click because it is dire)
Kakyoin's death, and the nature of DIO's Stand, but not the way Jotaro beats it, thankfully

Huh, that's the one spoiler that actually makes watching the new Part 3 more interesting for me.
They are constantly foreshadowing it, and I kinda like that.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
I got spoiled on most of p3, including
P3 SPOILERS HERE WATCH THE FUCK OUT
MC's death, Chihiro's death, who killed Ken's parents, among other things.

Shit that reminds me, the second movie comes out in like 2 days.

Good thing I preordered that LE.

Haven't even beat P3, but the first movie was really good, and I need to see where it goes.

360pages

I don't know how anyone can not be spoiled about DIO's stand since the moment he's in a game it shows it as well as spoilers from the final fight.

semisonic

Banned
What? Are you serious?
no
Is she related to this guy?
SonGoku.png

Man she would be so much cooler if she was!
But then she would look dumber...
I'm not a fan of Toriyama's early character designs at all. I think his artstyle is frankly somewhat boring and overly cartoonish with consistently dumb hair.

semisonic

Banned
Damn those are some spoilers.

It's part of the reason I really hate it when people spoil good shit like that maliciously.
It's what happened to me, and now it's really hard for me to play p3 knowing the majority of the plot and dealing with the frustrating game mechanics of FES

Mathaou

legacy of cane
no

I'm not a fan of Toriyama's early character designs at all. I think his artstyle is frankly somewhat boring and overly cartoonish with consistently dumb hair.

I tend to agree, but that is just part of the reason I love Dragon Ball over DBZ.

Also, this just occurred to me, has anyone seen the Bakuman anime? It's my 10th favorite show of all time.

360pages

no

I like his art, mostly because of those traits. It works well, Dragon Ball was rounder compared to the sharp edged Z though.

semisonic

Banned
I tend to agree, but that is just part of the reason I love Dragon Ball over DBZ.

Also, this just occurred to me, has anyone seen the Bakuman anime? It's my 10th favorite show of all time.

I actually also liked DB over DBZ.
Not for the character designs tho. I found early, overly innocent goku to be a more interesting character than later goku, and the fight choreography was generally better, as well as being more meaningful and shorter. In addition, they explained shit rather than "he trained with ___ so he can do the thing now"

croten

I don't know how anyone can not be spoiled about DIO's stand since the moment he's in a game it shows it as well as spoilers from the final fight.

It's actually pretty easy if you are new to Jojo. I read part 3 without knowing anything about DIO's stand or any of the twists. In fact I have read practically the whole thing without spoilers which isn't too common for me.

Zenfalcia

It's part of the reason I really hate it when people spoil good shit like that maliciously.
It's what happened to me, and now it's really hard for me to play p3 knowing the majority of the plot and dealing with the frustrating game mechanics of FES
It's not great, especially so much is spoiled for you already.
Wait wait wait what?
Chihiro dies? what? She dies in game? Or is there something I missed?
I HOPE YOU FINISHED THE GAME BEFORE YOU READ THOSE SPOILERS.

edit: oh the name was spelt wrong :p

Ants

I'm actually extremely good about avoiding spoilers for things I haven't watched, but still have some interest in watching, so that and THE OTHER THING THAT MEANS EVEN IF YOU KNOW DIO'S STAND YOU SHOULD NOT CLICK MY SPOILER were something I didn't get hit with until quite recently.

Also, I remembered I got spoiled on how in Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji,
he gets his fingers cut off
, but to be perfectly honest that just made me way more hype to watch a show that would actually do that.

OH MY GOD I JUST REMEMBERED THE ABSOLUTE WORST ONE

Danganronpa 2. My girlfriend's friends are the worst people in the universe about spoilers. All of them just watch video games on youtube because they're poor college kids, and then they just openly talk about them in a group of 8 people regardless of who has or has not seen/played them. One of them saw my girlfriend and I playing Danganronpa 2, where we were just barely doing the character introductions, and one of them said
"Did you get to the part where Byakuya dies yet?"
Man, fuck that guy.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Not for the character designs tho. I found early, overly innocent goku to be a more interesting character than later goku, and the fight choreography was generally better, as well as being more meaningful and shorter. In addition, they explained shit rather than "he trained with ___ so he can do the thing now"

I totally agree.

semisonic

Banned
Wait wait wait what?
Chihiro dies? what? She dies in game? Or is there something I missed?

Dude did you seriously read that without playing the game? I even gave the warning and everything!
Also we're talking about Junpei's girlfriend who sacrifices herself, causing him to learn to be less of a dick.
I think I might've messed up the name tho

360pages

True, I do think Z has more hype moments, but Dragon Ball told its story better.

Dude did you seriously read that without playing the game? I even gave the warning and everything!
Also we're talking about Junpei's girlfriend who sacrifices herself, causing him to learn to be less of a dick.
I think I might've messed up the name tho
Yeah, you kinda did.

Ants

True, I do think Z has more hype moments, but Dragon Ball told its story better.

The first arc/season/whatever (13ish episodes) for sure, but it quickly drops off in quality. Having watched all of it a couple months ago, by arc/season 3 it is just a complete slog.

If you're looking for good characters, yeah. If you're only looking for likeable characters, P4 probably wins.

I prefer P3.
Likeable felt a lot better before the flanderization and having them shoved in my face through various mediums for years.

Appreciation for "good" character growth never really fades though. Seeing the P3 cast in Arena is fun because it's a goofy end to characters that we already saw grow and evolve. They're goofy adults now.

Also the bit of P2 I played has some the best writing I've seen in general... man, fuck I'm gonna get back into P2:IS.

360pages

Unfortunately, for does who do not care for hype, like me, DBZ is a straight up mess.

Dragon Ball is still pretty good.

Damn, I can see what you mean. But I think a lot of scenes in DBZ like Goku first turning into a SSJ or Gohan turning into a SSJ2 beats almost all of Dragon Ball Moments.

I think of it like this Z is a series I wouldn't marathon from start to end, but rather pick key points from the series to rewatch.

While Dragon Ball is something I would watch from start to end.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
I have a super bad habit of playing games out of order. I played P4 before 3, and I played DS2 before DS1 or DeS. Going back is hard once you've played the improved, streamlined version.

360pages

The first arc/season/whatever (13ish episodes) for sure, but it quickly drops off in quality. Having watched all of it a couple months ago, by arc/season 3 it is just a complete slog.

Really, the tournament arcs in Dragon Ball Tend to be really good in my opinion. Since they are a major part of the show, it feels more earned since it isn't really random most of the time. The Red Ribbon army arc can drag though

Top Bottom