• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 15: Two Guys Play

Gonna be really honest... DBZ does not hold up at all.

Its one of those things that you try to watch as an adult and it just does not live up to those childhood memories.

Fuckin Kill La Kill (even with all its problems) handles hype and fun (while not deep) characters pretty well in comparison to DBZ

.JOJO DA BESS

True, I do think Z has more hype moments, but Dragon Ball told its story better.

I couldn't get into Dragonball. It's just too slow for me.
I had to sit down and realize, I only liked the fighting.
Plus, I never really like Goku. And kid Goku is even more overpowered than the adult version. In dragonball, no one not named Goku ever does anything useful/cool... ever.

Really, the tournament arcs in Dragon Ball Tend to be really good in my opinion. Since they are a major part of the show, it feels more earned since it isn't really random most of the time. The Red Ribbon army arc can drag though

It still has the typical problems with a tournament arc, even though Dragon Ball clearly exceeded where others failed.

Archgan

About this whole (P4 Spoilers)
Adachi
being the culprit thing, I don't think referring to him as Culprit when talking about Ultimax actually does a lot. I haven't actually played P4 so I'm not sure how big a part he plays besides being the villain, but, to someone who hasn't played the game, referring to him by name doesn't mean anything. Most people don't bother remembering the name of a character in a thing they don't know about. Especially in the case of Ultimax where no one saying his name would be referencing the fact that he is the culprit. As far as I was concerned, he could have been one of the main characters or just a supporting character. Using the phrase culprit is what actually lead to me being spoiled (which doesn't matter because I don't plan on playing the games) because I heard people talking about Culprit being in the game and, after I saw something that talked about the new characters, I realized that
Adachi
must be the culprit. In ordinary circumstances, I would have saw the name and forgot about it in a couple minutes, but because I saw the talk about Culprit, I put 2 and 2 together.

Note, this has nothing to do with what Foxhound did because he basically just said, "Bruce Willis was dead the whole time."

Ants

Speaking of Persona 4 spoilers, I have an honest question:

Do people actually think Kanji is gay, or is that joke just a spoiler smokescreen like calling
Tohru Adachi
"Culprit"? I know he seems hella, hella gay when you first meet him and for a while afterward, but it soon becomes clear that he was just confused after being rejected by everyone and finding Naoto, who is ostensibly a boy, taking interest in him. To me, he's clearly just super confused by what's going on at that time, and by the end of the game, when he's still attracted to Naoto, he's definitely straight. He just thought he might be gay because he was attracted to what he thought was a boy. You could make the argument he's into reverse traps, but at the end of the day, we only see evidence that he's interested in something with a vagina, and that he has lingering issues from his father's death about what it means to be a man.

It's minor, but I would take out references to sex in that post.

360pages

Gonna be really honest... DBZ does not hold up at all.

Its one of those things that you try to watch as an adult and it just does not live up to those childhood memories.

Fuckin Kill La Kill (even with all its problems) handles hype and fun (while not deep) characters pretty well.

I think Kai is much better in terms of getting straight to the point. But it also misses some actual character devolvement because they are so focused on the action. I think it holds up better than more recent shonen, like Bleach or Naruto in a lot of areas. (Animation and despite a lot of filler, it still feels like less of a slog to get to another major battle unlike in Naruto)

Alright, thinking of Golden, I love that it added the Valentine's Day event. I love how it goes down if you romance everyone, so I make sure to everytime now. I always end up picking Chie, but I do feel bad about Rise and Naoto. Yukiko doesn't affect me much, though.

Note, this has nothing to do with what Foxhound did because he basically just said, "Bruce Willis was dead the whole time."
Really we all picked up on the term "Culprit" just because of the podcast where they established it.

The biggest issue is that adding P4 SPOILERS
Adachi by name, would mean he has a Persona

Do people actually think Kanji is gay, or is that joke just a spoiler smokescreen like calling
Tohru Adachi
"Culprit"? I know he seems hella, hella gay when you first meet him and for a while afterward, but it soon becomes clear that he was just confused after being rejected by everyone and finding Naoto, who is ostensibly a boy, taking interest in him. To me, he's clearly just super confused by what's going on at that time, and by the end of the game, when he's still attracted to Naoto, he's definitely straight. He just thought he might be gay because he was attracted to what he thought was a boy. You could make the argument he's into reverse traps, but at the end of the day, we only see evidence that he's interested in something with a vagina, and that he has lingering issues from his father's death about what it means to be a man.

I maintain he's not gay because it sends a better message

semisonic

Banned
Adachi
being the culprit thing, I don't think referring to him as Culprit when talking about Ultimax actually does a lot. I haven't actually played P4 so I'm not sure how big a part he plays besides being the villain, but, to someone who hasn't played the game, referring to him by name doesn't mean anything. Most people don't bother remembering the name of a character in a thing they don't know about. Especially in the case of Ultimax where no one saying his name would be referencing the fact that he is the culprit. As far as I was concerned, he could have been one of the main characters or just a supporting character. Using the phrase culprit is what actually lead to me being spoiled (which doesn't matter because I don't plan on playing the games) because I heard people talking about Culprit being in the game and, after I saw something that talked about the new characters, I realized that
Adachi
must be the culprit. In ordinary circumstances, I would have saw the name and forgot about it in a couple minutes, but because I saw the talk about Culprit, I put 2 and 2 together.

Well I mean when you think about it, who's in ultimax who has no fucking reason to have a persona or even be in the game which stars the main characters of Peronsa 3 and 4. The goal is for people not to know he's even in ultimax.
Which is why we try to enforce the naming of him as Culprit and not his actual name.

Tohru Adachi

He's at least bi in my mind.

semisonic

Banned
Alright, thinking of Golden, I love that it added the Valentine's Day event. I love how it goes down if you romance everyone, so I make sure to everytime now. I always end up picking Chie, but I do feel bad about Rise and Naoto. Yukiko doesn't affect me much, though.

Of course you'd feel bad.
Because Naoto is the best.
It's your subconscious telling you how wrong you are.

EVA is a really good mess.

Eva is a really complicated mess to describe my feelings on. I mean, if it had stay true to the original vision, which was the deconstruction elements, it would have been a mess I would have hated.

Eva is an awful plot, with some truly awful storytelling, and some haphazardly written characters, but the bizarre mind of a truly broken man created some of the most poignant imagery, scenarios, and symbolism imaginable, to the point where it all comes to together, and it all comes together amazingly. Eva trying to tell a story is not why I love Eva.

Something Rebuild needs to learn, badly.

Tohru Adachi

he's not gay he's bi or pan it's shown throughout the game. Shit isn't just gay or straight cmon guys how many times do I gotta talk about this

semisonic

Banned
Eva is a really complicated mess to describe my feelings on. I mean, if it had stay true to the original vision, which was the deconstruction elements, it would have been a mess I would have hated.

Eva is an awful plot, with some truly awful storytelling, and some haphazardly written characters, but the bizarre mind of a truly broken man created some of the most poignant imagery, scenarios, and symbolism imaginable, to the point where it all comes to together, and it all comes together amazingly. Eva trying to tell a story is not why I love Eva.

Get out.

croten

Tohru Adachi

He's neither, he's either Bisexual or Pansexual. He has shown an interest in the same person regardless to their apparent gender, I don't see why people think he's gay or straight because he has never shown to be completely one or the other.

Man, I hurt my own feelings on one of my runs. I romanced all of them, and I turned them all down, just to be an ass. Didn't feel much when I told yukiko to fuck off though.

Sounds a lot like Casshern Sins and Garo: The Animation, which share a lot of stuff in common, including the fact that Garo isn't as interesting as Sins is.

360pages

It still has the typical problems with a tournament arc, even though Dragon Ball clearly exceeded where others failed.

Tournament arcs are always kind of miss. They mostly exist to pit two characters against one another without needing a large justification.

Kind of like how only the first Rescue arcs in a series are the only good ones and all the ones after that feel like a retread. You really only need one of those types of arcs.

Ants

He's neither, he's either Bisexual or Pansexual. He has shown an interest in the same person regardless to their apparent gender, I don't see why people think he's gay or straight because he has never shown to be completely one or the other.
he's not gay he's bi or pan it's shown throughout the game. Shit isn't just gay or straight cmon guys how many times do I gotta talk about this

I'm aware that bi is a thing (bi here) but I don't see any evidence in the game that he's attracted to a "boy" that isn't Naoto. Throughout the game he displays attraction to other girls, but never to other boys. That, combined with the fact he was experiencing a serious identity crisis when he thought he was attracted to a boy, says "straight" to me.

I'm aware that bi is a thing (bi here) but I don't see any evidence in the game that he's attracted to a "boy" that isn't Naoto. Throughout the game he displays attraction to other girls, but never to other boys.

He still obviously gets flustered when it comes to Yu and Yosuke tho. The camping trip is a good example of this

croten

I'm aware that bi is a thing (bi here) but I don't see any evidence in the game that he's attracted to a "boy" that isn't Naoto. Throughout the game he displays attraction to other girls, but never to other boys.

He shows interest to Naoto when she claims to be a guy.

semisonic

Banned
Nah man, Chie is the best. Naoto is a close second, followed closely by Rise, with Yukiko being a bit farther fourth.

Man I am constantly amused by Naoto's apparant position in this thread as everyone's second choice. It's kind of hilarious at this point how she's the one waifu with no real points to shit on besides that kanji already likes her.
But fuck that, this is my game, not his, so Naoto it is.

Oh geez I know a lot better than to talk about Eva again.

I'm just gonna go back to playing KI with my PS3/4 TE2 and all my PS3 games with a DS4 because the titan one is fucking sick.

Man, I hurt my own feelings on one of my runs. I romanced all of them, and I turned them all down, just to be an ass. Didn't feel much when I told yukiko to fuck off though.
I did the same thing once. It fucking hurt. Didn't really care when I did it to Yukiko. I don't dislike her, i'm just indifferent.

Top Bottom