• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 15: Two Guys Play

So far, Cranky Construct's got all the other animators beat with this and the Machinima episode openings.

Plague better get an opportunity to one up this shit. Hopefully next Shitstorm?

I really don't like Plague for his animation work (even though it's very good) I much prefer his Let's Draws and Let's Play's.
It's quite mysterious and amazing.
A mysterious opening for the mysterious box.

Feelings have been reciprocated.
ff7victorysound.wav

Okay okay lets not get ahead of ourselves

So I'm looking at the other heroic spirits from the hundreds of Fate games/spin offs and some of them seem really cool.
Fucking
Lu Bu
was summoned! I though someone mentioned him as a joke!
Frankenstein
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Jack the Ripper
Thor

Sakata Kintoki is a berserker... what?
Edit: Nvm he's from a folklore and not the one from Gintama

So I'm looking at the other heroic spirits from the hundreds of Fate games/spin offs and some of them seem really cool.
Fucking
Lu Bu
was summoned! I though someone mentioned him as a joke!
Frankenstein
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Jack the Ripper
Thor

Sakata Kintoki is a berserker... what?
Edit: Nvm he's from a folklore and not the one from Gintama

I'm ready for my SMT x Fate crossover where demons/angels start getting fused as servents.

Inb4 Demi-Fiend wins the whole grail war.

I just found Christine's, a character from Dead Money, Circle of Steel armor in Old World Blues. I didn't know it was in the the game. It also reminded me that the Circle of Steel is a thing. I really like the concept of a splinter group of the Brotherhood of Steel that wants to be more involved with the outside. And when I say more involved, it means stuff like political assassinations.

Ants

Alright. I started playing Devil on G-string. That music is simply amazing.

The very first scene's music is inspired by one of my favorite songs.

This is going to be good.

One of the few not-quite-mainstream VNs I've played. It's actually fairly good! I think it suffers a bit from inelegant translation (where the author will sometimes not use the best word for a given situation, things like that), but the actual plot/events are engaging.

One of the few not-quite-mainstream VNs I've played. It's actually fairly good! I think it suffers a bit from inelegant translation (where the author will sometimes not use the best word for a given situation, things like that), but the actual plot/events are engaging.
What's it about?

Ants

What's it about?

Without spoiling much, you're the son of a Yakuza leader, and you're still in high school. You meet a bunch of girls because Japan, and various shit goes on in these girls' lives. You live a really comfortable life with a hella awesome apartment (especially when you consider it's in Japan, where space is at a premium), all due to your dad's connections. Your friendship with these girls is tested by the shit you need to do as a Yakuza's son. You are often put in situations where you risk losing everything if you go against your father's wishes, because he has provided you with everything.

In addition to this, a character named "Maou" (devil) is also in play, and has directly challenged the Yakuza. Your dad tasks you with finding out who Maou really is, and stopping him from fucking with the Yakuza. One of the girls is early on clearly some sort of ace detective, and she has taken an interest in the Maou case as well.

semisonic

Banned
Without spoiling much, you're the son of a Yakuza leader, and you're still in high school. You meet a bunch of girls because Japan, and various shit goes on in these girls' lives. You live a really comfortable life with a hella awesome apartment (especially when you consider it's in Japan, where space is at a premium), all due to your dad's connections. Your friendship with these girls is tested by the shit you need to do as a Yakuza's son. You are often put in situations where you risk losing everything if you go against your father's wishes, because he has provided you with everything.

In addition to this, a character named "Maou" (devil) is also in play, and has directly challenged the Yakuza. Your dad tasks you with finding out who Maou really is, and stopping him from fucking with the Yakuza. One of the girls is early on clearly some sort of ace detective, and she has taken an interest in the Maou case as well.

Is there just one good route, or are there several?

Ants

Is there just one good route, or are there several?

Every girl has a good route, but there is one clear and obvious True route with one specific girl, and you don't figure out most shit if you don't take that one. However, there's no real divergences except when you choose Good Route X or Continue on True Route, so you can get all the good routes without too much work on the way to the True one.

Also it has explicit sex scenes, so, uh, bear that in mind.

semisonic

Banned
Every girl has a good route, but there is one clear and obvious True route with one specific girl, and you don't figure out most shit if you don't take that one.

Also it has explicit sex scenes, so, uh, bear that in mind.

I don't mind.
But once you've gotten the true route, are the others worth going through.
I need some degree of replay value in a vn for 35 bucks.

beinfilms

Guys, I hate to say it, but Star Wars really isn't holding up for me. I don't know if it's just that I've really gotten into real sci-fi (rather than space fantasy) since the last time I saw it, but the dialogue feels awkward, effects are pretty not great (despite this being the version with all of the changes), and a lot of the acting just feels...wrong, somehow.

I mean, I'm enjoying it, obviously, but it's nowhere nearly as good as I remembered it being. (And I was never the biggest fan of it to begin with.)

Edit: Also, it's really painfully obvious when the dialogue had to be re-recorded.

Xiraiya

tumblr_nl094mD26x1rtjgwno1_1280.jpg
Well that looks promising.

Ants

I don't mind.
But once you've gotten the true route, are the others worth going through.
I need some degree of replay value in a vn for 35 bucks.

Fair. A full playthrough is about 30 hours according to HLTB and VNDB, so that's about what you can expect. It's also fully (I think, definitely 90%+) voice-acted, and the art is fairly good and there's a high number of assets. Its production value is quite high, which would explain the cost.

Just finished fate zero.

That ending felt a little limp honestly. Almost like they were deliberately setting up for a sequel, or if I'm right, that shiro kid who said 'people die' etc, making this a prequel. I'll just have ti wait for unlimited to see how it goes on I suppose. But man, those last two episodes were super good. Whole lotta cool/weird shit went down.

Xiraiya

Just finished fate zero.

That ending felt a little limp honestly. Almost like they were deliberately setting up for a sequel, or if I'm right, that shiro kid who said 'people die' etc, making this a prequel. I'll just have ti wait for unlimited to see how it goes on I suppose. But man, those last two episodes were super good. Whole lotta cool/weird shit went down.
That's because it is a Prequel, a Prequel to Fate/Stay Night UBW, it came out well after Fate/Stay but before the UBW remake

croten

Just finished fate zero.

Well Fate/Zero was a prequel written after Fate/Stay Night so of course it's setting up a sequel

semisonic

Banned
Fair. A full playthrough is about 30 hours according to HLTB and VNDB, so that's about what you can expect. It's also fully (I think, definitely 90%+) voice-acted, and the art is fairly good and there's a high number of assets. Its production value is quite high, which would explain the cost.

Solid. But I'm more interested in the quality of the writing. I know there are games that blow their whole writing budget on the main route and then the other ones aren't even worth playing.
Or are Shizune.
That would kind of discourage a purchase, because main girl is seldom most interesting girl.

Xiraiya

Great. I'll start watching that as soon as it's done.

I believe UBW is suppose to be a slightly different route of the same story as Fate/Stay, I'm not really sure, but my exposure to the Fate series is Fate/Zero and then Unlimited Blade Works, and the story follows on pretty well, there are a few things in UBW I never quite understood but I guess that'll be stuff in Season 2 when it comes out.

croten

I believe UBW is suppose to be a slightly different route of the same story as Fate/Stay, I'm not really sure, but my exposure to the Fate series is Fate/Zero and then Unlimited Blade Works, and the story follows on pretty well, there are a few things in UBW I never quite understood but I guess that'll be stuff in Season 2 when it comes out.

Fate/Stay Night had three routes in it, Fate, UBW and Heavens Feel. The orginal anime was based on the first route "Fate" whereas the new anime is based off of the second route "Unlimited Blade Works".

Ants

Solid. But I'm more interested in the quality of the writing. I know there are games that blow their whole writing budget on the main route and then the other ones aren't even worth playing.
Or are Shizune.
That would kind of discourage a purchase, because main girl is seldom most interesting girl.

It's been a really long time (2010 I think), but I remember the girls generally being more or less equally interesting, But I almost don't go in for waifu shit at all. I have preferences but they don't usually impact my enjoyment of a thing if I don't get to spend time with the girl I take a shine to. So I guess take my thoughts on how interesting a 2D girl is with a grain of salt. It was also the first, like, "classic" VN I had played, with my prior experience at the time basically being Ace Attorney and that's all.

I remember being surprised at the length of the Good routes for the other girls.

EDIT: Shit, sorry. How do I do that exactly?

semisonic

Banned
It's been a really long time (2010 I think), but I remember the girls generally being more or less equally interesting, But I almost don't go in for waifu shit at all. I have preferences but they don't usually impact my enjoyment of a thing if I don't get to spend time with the girl I take a shine to. So I guess take my thoughts on how interesting a 2D girl is with a grain of salt. It was also the first, like, "classic" VN I had played, with my prior experience at the time basically being Ace Attorney and that's all.

I remember being surprised at the length of the Good routes for the other girls.

EDIT: Shit, sorry. How do I do that exactly?

It''s not so much for waifu shit, despite my phrasing, it's just more content, and I want the best written and most enjoyable content I can access. I look at a vn like a book. That's why I made the distinction between "best girl" and "most interesting girl."
I'd just rather have the second one as the person who gets more screentime.
And I'd rather read the book that I enjoy the characters in the most.

Ants

I thought I remembered just clicking on it! I figured that because it requires your GAF username that's the form of fraud protection.

Top Bottom