• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 15: Two Guys Play

Mathaou

legacy of cane
It's totally fine.

It'll never die off. Even if they are run into the ground, they will only become skeleton jokes and continue on living.

There is no list because there is no dead best friends jokes.

Yeah but the skeleton jokes are hilarious. Never get old.

Beloved

Here's some freebies for you nerds.

Cherry Tree High Complete Pack
Fairy Bloom Freesia + Soundtrack
Influent (Japanese Language pack)

QUOTE TO REVEAL KEYS

He's not a businessman
He's a business man.

jayzyikes.gif

Try again.

When will that joke go the way of the AMERICA! and die off?
Does anyone have a list of dead best friends jokes?

The axe joke died a painful death in the Woolie Hole :3

Damn it, why won't the avatars load?

It's fine. I don't need avatars to recognize my favorite posters, like Marararararigydyne

Yup. I haven't been playing MonHun that much because I started playing Dark Souls again (I WILL beat it), MM, and Rogue Legacy.

Playing MM on a handheld is so nice, yet makes the difficulty of the original MM look Dark Souls-ish by design.

This game is too easy if you're familiar with the bosses and the maps.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
I thought you were talking about mega man for some reason. I would get majora but I'm just not into zelda.
That's a shame. Favorite series IMO.
It's fine. I don't need avatars to recognize my favorite posters, like Marararararigydyne

Playing MM on a handheld is so nice, yet makes the difficulty of the original MM look Dark Souls-ish by design.

This game is too easy if you're familiar with the bosses and the maps.
I've beaten it so many times already, I'm near speedrun levels. I can beat it in 10 hours 100%.
I thought it was just me... I'm glad i'm not the only one having that problem.
Its a problem on GAF on internet explorer I believe.

It's easier because Majora's Mask on the N64 was tedious and somewhat poorly designed in some areas. I find the 3DS version to be significantly superior to its N64 counterpart.
Dark Souls' difficulty added to its charm and challenge, whereas MM N64 was just fucking tedious.

The fast-forward mechanic improvement is a godsend.

That is indeed. Kind of defeats the purpose of the NPCs that allow you to move time when one song can warp you to a specific moment.

I appreciate the changes of the fairy locations. Makes the dungeons a little more challenging.

I also like the changing of the Rupee bank and of the Owl Statues as dedicated saves.

Unrelated, but have you been able to do 421B > IC6B > whiff 2A > 22B with Eltnum? For some reason I can't get the 2A to come out.
God dammit, I had to write the number pad out on paper to know what input that is, I'll never get use to number pad directions. Ahem... yea I've been able to do that combo with the whiff 2A. I think I press 2A the moment they bounce on the ground, or maybe a little bit later then straight in to the 22B. You have plenty of time to whiff the 2A since they can't recover when they are in the air and you have a bit more time for the 22B when they hit the ground too.(I think)

You mean the
Old woman in the inn
, right? She still serves a different purpose, namely background story and heart piece. But I'd gladly sacrifice the purpose of maybe an NPC or two for infinitely more control over time. Lessens tedious and unnecessary travel and waiting time for certain side quests and whatnot. The fairy location changes are pretty nice indeed and I also like the change in the dedicated save mechanic.

A lot of people are going to call it a more streamlined game as a negative thing, but having finished it 100% just a couple of days ago, I do believe streamlining was necessary. It's not so much less difficult than Majora's Mask on the N64 as much as it is more efficient and less annoying. Majora's Mask was not particularly difficult, it just required a lot of patience, both in terms of waiting and some of the horrid boss designs.

Combined with the more comfortable control scheme, bosses like Odolwa and Goht are trivial.

It was second nature how easy those bosses were. I hope the fish is difficult. I recall Great Bay being a confusing dungeon.

God dammit, I had to write the number pad out on paper to know what input that is, I'll never get use to number pad directions. Ahem... yea I've been able to do that combo with the whiff 2A. I think I press 2A the moment they bounce on the ground, or maybe a little bit later then straight in to the 22B. You have plenty of time to whiff the 2A since they can't recover when they are in the air and you have a bit more time for the 22B when they hit the ground too.(I think)

Learn the notation, though. Also, a few minutes after I asked I figured out why it wouldn't come out. It was a dumb reason. Thanks anyway.

Skrams

Jokes aside, what does that actually mean?
Get ready for a incredibly horrible explanation probably.
Imagine you're the mouse. Now keep hitting the lever to get food/levelups that make you feel good and like you're accomplishing something. If you hit the lever at the wrong time then you get shocked/die or something. Eventually you'll get enough food and you win the game. Rogue Legacy and it's types of Roguelikelikelikes where you carry over progress usually means you will always win eventually despite your skills. Usually.
It does have a Skinner Box style and to be honest, I started out hating it because of it. Once I got the hang of the controls and started rushing through the game, turning it into a borderline bullet-hell style game as I practically ignored everything around me, I have to admit that I started liking it more. I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with the game, but it ended on a positive note for me regardless. It's the exception to the rule however and it's mostly only because I got out of the skinner box design.

Yeah I know, that's why I said that they at least deserve it. Just don't forget to fondle his balls, guys.
The base gameplay being fun to play helps and yeah, handicapping yourself to make the thing harder is also a pretty good way to have more fun with the kind of game that Rouge Legacy is. Also this is what happens when you edit things in later after I already have quoted and typed out a response.

By the way Skrams, You commented on its skinner box design so I can guess how you're playing the game, but I'll ask just to be sure: How are you playing the game?

I finished Rogue Legacy a while ago. I would explore and explore to find new equipment and runes. I enjoyed that enough that I would level up and gain enough money to make the game a lot easier than it should be. I spelunkered a lot. I found the last boss sort of hard, but not that bad since I don't remember having that much trouble.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
You mean the
Old woman in the inn
, right? She still serves a different purpose, namely background story and heart piece. But I'd gladly sacrifice the purpose of maybe an NPC or two for infinitely more control over time. Lessens tedious and unnecessary travel and waiting time for certain side quests and whatnot. The fairy location changes are pretty nice indeed and I also like the change in the dedicated save mechanic.

A lot of people are going to call it a more streamlined game as a negative thing, but having finished it 100% just a couple of days ago, I do believe streamlining was necessary. It's not so much less difficult than Majora's Mask on the N64 as much as it is more efficient and less annoying. Majora's Mask was not particularly difficult, it just required a lot of patience, both in terms of waiting and some of the horrid boss designs. It is without a doubt the definitive edition of Majora's Mask for me.
Amen. This is the Majoras Mask of my dreams.
So, nerscylla looks really cool.
Like a fucking Gundam, right?

Oooh...oot, mm, links awakening and dx, minish, and i think ocarina os seasons. Maybe another, can't think of it right now. They're great games, don't get me wrong. I just don't care for them.

You're Not the first person to say that.

That's how I feel about games like Minecraft or Dota or LoL.

Zenfalcia

I know most of the main guys, but a lot of the people who don't post often I just know by their avatars.
Come on, it's not not that hard to remember the names of those who don't post as often. Git gud, Numbatisa.
I'm just trying to run this joke into the ground, when it wasn't funny to begin with.

beinfilms

Well, I just took a test I probably could've studied for, instead of playing Persona and watching Max get salty. Oh, well. What's done is done, and it definitely could've gone worse.

Zenfalcia

Good morning frienders.
Hey.
Why on earth do Avatars keep becoming text and then going back to images and then going back to text.
No idea, must be a problem at Neogaf's servers or something.
Well, I just took a test I probably could've studied for, instead of playing Persona and watching Max get salty. Oh, well. What's done is done, and it definitely could've gone worse.
It's fine! Hurray for bad decisions!

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Get ready for a incredibly horrible explanation probably.
Imagine you're the mouse. Now keep hitting the lever to get food/levelups that make you feel good and like you're accomplishing something. If you hit the lever at the wrong time then you get shocked/die or something. Eventually you'll get enough food and you win the game. Rogue Legacy and it's types of Roguelikelikelikes where you carry over progress usually means you will always win eventually despite your skills. Usually.

The base gameplay being fun to play helps and yeah, handicapping yourself to make the thing harder is also a pretty good way to have more fun with the kind of game that Rouge Legacy is. Also this is what happens when you edit things in later after I already have quoted and typed out a response.

Meh. Still love it. Rocking Vampirism armor and vampirism runes, and since I've upgraded my health a shit ton, even as a Paladin I have 350HP left with the deductions. If I'm a miner, I have bomb ass runes for that.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
Which one have you played? In terms of how amazing they are, I'd say

Top Tier
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Twilight Princess
Wind Waker
Link's Awakening
Minish Cap

High Tier
A Link to the Past
Oracle of Ages/Seasons
Phantom Hourglass
A Link Between Worlds

Mid Tier
The Legend of Zelda
Four Swords Adventures

Low Tier
Skyward Sword

Fuck Off Tier
The Adventure of Link
Spirit Tracks
CD-I
I changed the list around to what my list is.

Top Bottom