• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 16: You thought Woolie was the Liar, but it was me Patrick!

beinfilms

My gaming PC from 5 years ago runs the game fine with everything maxed out and various graphics mods.
The gameplay is awful, but that didn't stop me from wasting a hundred odd hours in it.

All I know is, the times I've tried to play it on PC, it's looked even worse than the console version. (Although I've never had a real gaming PC, so that might be part of the problem.)

Oddly, enough despite my dislike for EVA, I actually would recommend all Anime viewers to watch it at least once. Like DBZ even if it's not a narrative masterpiece, what both series did to the genres they were in is important

I couldn't agree more. Even with my extreme dislike for it, any anime fan should watch it once. And if you end up enjoying it, then that's great

360pages

tjvNMA8.png

I love Mangagaf sometimes.

Ilvocare

Street fighter 5. But seriously what are some of the general problems have you been having in fighting games? If it's execution, that's easy to fix with practice. The harder stuff is like reactions or learning match-ups and applying stuff you learned.

I guess it's more of a lack of fighting games that really appeal to me. I played tons of Street Fighter II Turbo on the SNES, but god forbid people think I had the slightest idea of what I was doing. I never played against anyone that wasn't my older brother so all the matches devolved into "pick E. Honda and Hundred-Hand Slap till one of the players loses".

We were fucking children back then.

Outside of that, I loved the Soul Calibur series and had fun with 2, but LOVED 3.

Then 4 happened and 5 took away 90% of the things I had loved about the series in the first place so I stopped caring about it.

Really, I don't hold that much affection with fight games, mainly because most of the good ones seemed to come out on consoles I never really owned.

Also SNK who?

I dislike the majority of Eva, but like Recursive said, The one part they did right was something that affected me and that over took my disdain for the rest of the show.

And that's all you really need. That's all I really gathered from the show.
The mechas as mechas, sucked. They weren't mechas and had no right to be called mechas.

I also learned of these waifus you speak of after watching EVA and developing a crush on Misato.

Hmm, let's see.

I don't like 3D Zelda
Chrono Trigger was boring
Vanquish was just okay.
I don't like Fallout or TES
Demons Souls is better than Dark.
Battle Network is my favorite Mega Man series

I think that's it.

I dont think a lot of people legitimately like Eva.

I truly love Eva, but it is not very good. But the one thing it does well, it does better than anything in the medium, and that's how it gets you.

It's like Drakengard in that retropect. The game is utter garbage, nigh unplayable, but that game has one of the craziest plots ever crafted, almost drawing you in how utter asinine a story can actually get. What Drakengard does well, it does really well.

360pages

I truly love Eva, but it is not very good. But the one thing it does well, it does better than anything in the medium, and that's how it gets you.

It's like Drakengard in that retropect. The game is utter garbage, nigh unplayable, but that game has one of the craziest plots ever crafted, almost drawing you in how utter asinine a story can actually get. What Drakengard does well, it does really well.

I think No More Heroes does that pretty well, whether you look at it as dumb fun or think it has a deeper meaning to some of it.

I dislike the majority of Eva, but like Recursive said, The one part they did right was something that affected me and that over took my disdain for the rest of the show.
+1
Highfive.gif
Hmm, let's see.

I don't like 3D Zelda
Vanquish was just okay.
I don't like Fallout or TES

I think that's it.
Those are pretty controversial. I could avatar quote you in response, but it'd be too easy.

In tell stories with characters? Fuck yes. Digimon Adventure, Tamers and all that are amazing for what is supposed to be children Anime. Hell, Tamers is pretty much Babies first Eva (Though I like it a hell of a lot more than Eva)

In both stories and designs. Pokemon don't become rad mechs or Kamen Riders.

Ilvocare

Hmm, let's see.

I've been waiting for an excuse to bring this fucker back.

Since the talk of the thread is controversial opinions, I figured this was perfect.

Also BN is fucking great, and you're great for thinking it's great.

I share that opinion as well...Did you like Battle Network 5?

YES

YES I DID

VERY MUCH SO

Let's add something else to the pile:

-BN4 was my first BN game. It got me into BN HARD. This leads me to believe that even though BN4 is the worst BN game, it's still a good game, dialogue and story notwithstanding.

360pages

In both stories and designs. Pokemon don't become rad mechs or Kamen Riders.

I like Digimon designs, but I think pokemon overall has them beat Simply due to pokemon having less recolors. And even pokemon I think have bad designs never touch the awfulness of digimon bad designs.

th

FUCK OFF.
KANCOLLE EPS 10 SPOILER
AHAHAHA I DIDN'T KNOW THIS WAS REAL. THE COMMANDER OF THE SHIP GIRLS JUST RANDOMLY TELLS FUBUKI THAT HE HAD A DREAM ABOUT MARRYING HER AND THAT IS WHY HE PUT SO MUCH EFFORT INTO UPGRADING HER. I LAUGHED MY ASS OFF BECAUSE SHE WAS LITERALLY HIS WAIFU

Man I really want to read this, even quoting it is difficult

I share that opinion as well...Did you like Battle Network 5?

Not my favorite, but still really good. It was my first BN game.
Those are pretty controversial. I could avatar quote you in response, but it'd be too easy.

I guess I gotta get a grip.

Since the talk of the thread is controversial opinions, I figured this was perfect.

I should really read all of his reviews.

YES

YES I DID

VERY MUCH SO

Let's add something else to the pile:

-BN4 was my first BN game. It got me into BN HARD. This leads me to believe that even though BN4 is the worst BN game, it's still a good game, dialogue and story notwithstanding.

What the fuck did I just read???

I like Digimon designs, but I think pokemon overall has them beat Simply due to pokemon having less recolors. And even pokemon I think have bad designs never touch the awfulness of digimon bad designs.

My biggest problem with the Digimon designs is that a lot of them are just so busy, and would benefit so much better if the were more simple, like ArcSys designs.

They keep reminding me what I don't like about anime designs.

Skrams

18, and there's no need to be an asshole about it.

The only good things Skyrim has either came from Oblivion or earlier, or done better by pretty much all of the other major games at the time. The gameplay is clunky and kinda shit; the leveling, while it has a couple of fun gimmicks, was generally done better in Oblivion; the stories were poorly written; the graphics were atrocious (unless you play on a super PC, which a vast majority of players aren't); and the dungeons are all pretty much identical. Pretty much the only thing it has going for it is its open world, and games like Just Cause 2 and Red Dead Redemption do it so much better.

That certainly isn't the features of a good game.

Sorry if I came off as an asshole. It just made little sense that a persons first game would be Sonic Heroes and their first console would be the Wii. It still seems like something someone younger than 18 would say to me. Maybe I'm just a dick and your living situation was different or something.

I think Just Cause 2 is a shitty comparison as the game is good, but the open world is bare bones. There's nothing going on in that world besides blowing shit up to fill meters. I would call it a collectathon of blowing shit up if you wanted me to. I also think for something like Elder Scrolls where the games are separated by 5 years a piece, it's fine to look as them as separate games and not have to worry about them topping their predecessor. I extend that thought process to Persona and other games of the ilk. I don't think because it doesn't reach the games you consider higher like Oblivion or Morrowind doesn't make it objectively bad. I'd rather say it's a bad Elder Scrolls game and an okay video game instead of just calling it "objectively" bad if I thought the other Elder Scrolls games did everything better. Also atrocious graphics, what. If you're talking texture quality as opposed to having an open world with all of it's shit going on then sure, maybe.

I adored the battle system. Like, loved it. Visually it looks fantastic as well.

I also really liked the story and most of the characters, but of course that's really subjective.

I really liked the English VA.

The game was also really pretty to look at.

Trope-y as Sazh is, I also like him. He's the most likable character in the lot.

I expected a different definition of cool I guess. Battle system was fun, visually it was great, and I liked Sazh. I'd also be fine saying most of the English VA was good. Except stupid shit like moms are tough, but that's more of the script and not the VA. I personally dislike 2/3 or so of the cast, so I didn't end up enjoying the story much. I also didn't care for how the story and world building was all put in the logbook. Also I just want to say the Crystarium is stupid and a straight line.

I think FF13 is fine, but I wouldn't consider it good. It's just too nothing to me besides its battle system.

Top Bottom