• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 16: You thought Woolie was the Liar, but it was me Patrick!

Numb

I expect selfies and jojo poses

Whats this i hear about jojo poses
Anyway goodnight guys. Feels great sleeping at a decent hour even though ill wake up when the thread is super dead. There was a two hour period where there was no post today. Felt weird

Well, what else is there to say, it's going to be a pretty good adventure, we will probably visit New Orleans and stuff while I'm there at some point, since Beloved has been dying to go forever.

New Orleans is pretty fun. Great place, great music, and great food.

Avoid nontourist areas though.

Ilvocare

It's not entirely about the old character changes. It's also about the fundamental shift in focus into a more combo based game, where combos do way the fuck more damage, and it's possible for a character to be killed in a single combo by just about any charater in the game(assuming they don't burst or are a shadow character). Arena was more about footsies and short exchanges for moderate damage and resets, which is in my opinion far more interesting than Mahvelultimax's overly combo heavy philosophy.

What?

Did you go into the challenges section in Arena?

Like really go into it?

It was still totally possible to do 6k to 8k combos back then, too.

ultimax

You will get nothing.

Azusa-Crying-GIF-k-on-34153697-500-281.gif

semisonic

Banned
What?

Did you go into the challenges section in Arena?

Like really go into it?

It was still totally possible to do 6k to 8k combos back then, too.

True, but not nearly as practical in application as it became.
I'm also talking about the competitive play I watched a ton of back when Arena was a thing. Practically, even with the combos, it was a more exchange based game than an extreme execution. Most combos in actuality even from top tiers like mitsuru usually topped off around 3000.
Here's a link to Evo 2013 top 8 in P4A

Oberon

Banned
Oof. Well. My big thing to throw into that is how Miyazaki was barely involved in DkS2. If your sequel is written by a different guy, it's fair to get nitpicky.

Also it's super bad.

Well, I don't consider Miyazaki essential to make a souls game.
Edit: Actually, that goes with every franchise. I don't like associating a franchise with only one developer.

Well, I don't consider Miyazaki essential to make a souls game.

I don't know about that. If the world was filled Dark Souls 2s I'd probably just give up on the series. Those kind of games have such strict design features and every single thing about DeS and DS is so deliberately designed with a plan in mind right from the very beginning and it shows through its lore, enemy design, etc.

Dark Souls 2 had a lot of "fuck it, just throw it in there" and it suffers a great deal for it.

semisonic

Banned
I don't know about that. If the world was filled Dark Souls 2s I'd probably just give up on the series. Those kind of games have such strict design features and every single thing about DeS and DS is so deliberately designed with a plan in mind right from the very beginning and it shows through its lore, enemy design, etc.

Dark Souls 2 had a lot of "fuck it, just throw it in there" and it suffers a great deal for it.

It's like from Castlevania 1 to another castlevania game I don't know because I only ever beat one
and 64 and lament of innocence
but I know this is a thing shut up.

Oberon

Banned

Nothing about wheelskeleton resemblance any form of design

I expected you to bring up MGR. But I guess MGS4 is a thing too

I want to know where they're going with the sequel.

wait you guys dont like MGS4? ;~;

I love that game, but I have to admit that it creats some incoherences with the prequels.
Edit: Speaking as someone who found out about metal gear through smash bros brawl

Sick hype, Matt and Pat manage to pull off a synchronized knife-crowbar finisher.

Put that in the database.

And judging from their podcast, it sounds like they really enjoyed Revelations 2.

I can see people getting annoyed with it if they aren't really crazy about the series. Its fiiine.
I'm not even annoyed, I think it's fine. I'm just saying I can respect why some more hardcore people would have problems with it.

I love MGS plot/characters/storytelling, I just loathe playing them.
MGS2 is dabes

Ilvocare

I'm also talking about the competitive play I watched a ton of back when Arena was a thing. Practically, even with the combos, it was a more exchange based game than an extreme execution. Most combos in actuality even from top tiers like mitsuru usually topped off around 3000.

Hm.

You know what, when the fuck are we gonna play each other in either of those? I'm waiting, boyo.

I am glad UNIEL will not be at EVO. Shit looks imbalanced as fuckk

ultimax

It's actually the worst video game ever made. You didn't know?
At least MGS doesnt screw you over like Kingdom Hearts 2 does
I love that game, but I have to admit that it creats some incoherences with the prequels.
Edit: Speaking as someone who found out about metal gear through smash bros brawl
*cringe*
I'm not even annoyed, I think it's fine. I'm just saying I can respect why some more hardcore people would have problems with it.

I love MGS plot/characters/storytelling, I just loathe playing them.
MGS2 is dabes

I dont think the gameplay was ever the best part about MGS. Even though that will probably change with 5.

Oberon

Banned
I never said it was perfectly crafted, but its nowhere near the mess of DS2 vanilla and from what I hear, the scholar expansion is pretty bad as well.

DLC was pretty good though, so who knows.

I know that DS 2 has a lot flaws, I am not blind.

I had to stop watching the video when Pat was trying to argue that the DLC wasmade by the another team.

Xiraiya

Yup. I actually really really enjoyed playing Ground Zeroes, to the point of it being my favorite stealth game ever.

The way Ground Zeroes plays makes the replayability aspect make sense to me, because when you beat the main mission you're suppose to be like "That felt good, I'm going to try all these other missions and challenges" and basically use GZ to get good at MGS5.

Top Bottom